Start by marking “Joshua: No Falling Words” as Want to Read:
Joshua: No Falling Words

Joshua: No Falling Words (Focus on the Bible Commentaries)

This exposition is rooted first in a thorough analysis of the Hebrew text, employing helpful insights from archaeology and linguistics, and second in the major theological and literary themes discovered in each section. Finally the author brings the fragments together in an expository treatment 'that is not ashamed to stoop to the level of application.'
Published January 20th 2000 by Christian Focus Publications (first published October 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Joshua, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joshua

The Old Testament tends to be avoided by many preachers because of the difficulty in connecting its narratives and seemingly sterile passages to modern life, but Davis succeeds in Joshua in bucking this trend. He makes even the apparently tedious passages come alive with truths about our God and his faithfulness to his people. He also brings those truths into the present and provides relevant and interesting application for us today. His scholarly wisdom is clear throughout, but it is his pastor ...more
Evan Gartman
Jun 28, 2015 Evan Gartman rated it really liked it
Joshua: No Falling Words was an excellent commentary. It has truly helped me to grow in my understanding of the book of Joshua. In my previous readings of Joshua, without this book as a companion, I was overwhelmed with historical information and details I did not understand, and often found myself simply trudging through for the sake of finishing. Davis’s work helped me see the beauty of these seemingly difficult and uninteresting details. I now see that Joshua is more than just a historical bo ...more
Mar 08, 2016 Mike rated it it was amazing
I think this is the third time I've read this book, and it remains as valuable as ever. Davis has a great gift for exposition of the Scriptures, including ones that seem to modern eyes to be uninspiring (as in the lists of allotments of land in this book). His humour and wit are in evidence throughout, as well as his knowledge and insight. He never boasts of his considerable understanding of the academic side; his aim is to make things accessible to the average person, and in this he greatly suc ...more
Mark A Powell
Dec 24, 2013 Mark A Powell rated it it was amazing
The book of Joshua is not an easy one to travel through, as many theological and practical questions are raised almost instantly (not to mention land divisions and city listings that tend to glaze over even the most tenacious readers). While not skirting difficult issues, Davis refuses to get bogged down in them and instead traces an insightful and immensely helpful trail through these pages, speaking in a highly accessible and pastoral tone. Easy to recommend.
Jan 17, 2008 Ray rated it it was amazing
I have used all of Dale Ralph Davis' commentaries (Judges, Joshua, I Sam., II Sam., I Kgs) -- every one of them is consisently excellent. In fact, if I had just one commentary on each of thsoe books I'd select Davis.

Davis is a former Old Testament seminary professor, with a PhD., but has also been a pastor (Presbyterian PCA) for many years. These are all non-technical, unfootnoted, homiletical treatments. They are theologically rich, always Christocentric (or at least Christo-telic), well-illus
May 27, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
This is the first Dale Ralph Davis commentary I've read, but I will certainly be buying and reading all of his others. These commentaries from Davis on the historical books of the Old Testament are great for any person reading through Joshua, Judges, or 1, 2 Samuel, or books like that. They are not too scholarly, they're easy to read and understand, and they have a ton of great devotional insights. Davis is excellent at pulling out encouraging and relevant lessons from the parts of the Bible tha ...more
Bill Peacock
Feb 08, 2015 Bill Peacock rated it it was amazing
I joined a Bible study group a couple of years ago that was studying Deuteronomy. Since then, we've just kept on going through Joshua and now Judges. For the last two books, we've used commentaries by Dale Ralph Davis to help guide us through the text. I learned about his commentaries through Ligonier Ministries, which has recommendations on the best commentaries on each book of the Bible. We haven't been disappointed. In Joshua: No Falling Words, Davis helps us understand that even passages in ...more
Jan 01, 2011 Joshua rated it really liked it
Davis has a real gift for writing simply without being simplistic. His commentary is an attempt to wed scholarships and application, and he does a pretty good job, although in this reading, my second time through the book, I found myself wanting more scholarship than points of application. Davis's commentary is, perhaps, better suited for sermon preparation than for a classroom, but his winsome manner is a pleasure to read in any case.
Becky Hintz
Dec 15, 2013 Becky Hintz rated it really liked it
Whenever I teach through a book of the Bible, I choose one commentary to read "devotionally," in addition to the various others I use for reference and study. This is not a scholarly tome and does not purport to address all of the tough questions arising from Joshua. Instead, being (as far as I can tell) based on the author's sermons on Joshua, this book was excellent for personal growth and conviction.
Rick Dobrowolski
Mar 16, 2016 Rick Dobrowolski rated it it was amazing
Dale Ralph Davis has quickly become my favorite Old Testament commentator. Whether you are a pastor or not, you can greatly benefit from his writing. He gives excellent illustrations and explains the text in a way that will help you come to a fuller understanding of what is happening. He also ties in to the New Testament and what happens in our lives because of Christ.
Jul 28, 2014 Nate rated it it was amazing
Uncommonly insightful! While I don't share his view that Israel and the church are synonymous, his direct application of the OT to the Christian is masterful. Peppered with humor and tough love, Davis packs a healthy punch here. Highly recommended for all.
Jul 18, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing
Joshua:no falling words was great. It was laid out more like a sermon so it was easy to follow. The author helped me see more of God in book where sometimes it's not the easiest. I learned a lot more from this book than most books I've read.
Apr 26, 2016 Aaron rated it really liked it
Shelves: commentaries
Used this as an aid as I taught through the book of Joshua in my Sunday school class. It's been a long time, so I don't remember much, but I kept using it throughout the entire study, which says something!
Joshua D.
Jul 04, 2014 Joshua D. rated it really liked it
I have used all of Ralph Davis' commentaries in preparation for preaching. Extremely helpful to the preacher in terms of organization, emphasis, and illustration.
Furry rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Pentamom rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Lauren rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2008
Chelsey Crouch
Chelsey Crouch rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
David Lowry
David Lowry rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Luke rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
John rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Liz rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2011
Hunter Jones
Hunter Jones rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2013
Josh Gaudreau
Josh Gaudreau rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Shawn Maze
Shawn Maze rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Jim rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2007
michael shafran
michael shafran rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Brian rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2012
BDC rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Letter of James (The Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • The Gospel According to John
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
  • The Letters of John: (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Romans
  • Psalms 73-150
  • Romans
  • Gospel And Kingdom: A Christian Interpretation Of The Old Testament
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept
  • 1 Peter (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • The Book of Revelation, Revised
  • The Cradle, the Cross, and the Crown: An Introduction to the New Testament
  • God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology
  • More Than Conquerors
  • Handbook on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament: Exegesis and Interpretation
  • A Survey of the Old Testament (Second Edition)
  • From Eden to the New Jerusalem: An Introduction to Biblical Theology
  • Matthew 1-7 MacArthur New Testament Commentary

Focus on the Bible Commentaries (6 books)
  • 1 Samuel: Looking on the Heart (Focus on the Bible Commentaries)
  • Judges: Such a Great Salvation