Start by marking “Mary Poppins in the Park” as Want to Read:
Mary Poppins in the Park

Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins #4)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,953 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Who else but Mary Poppins can lead the Banks children on such extraordinary adventures? Together they all meet the Goosegirl and the Swineherd, argue with talking cats on a distant planet, make the acquaintance of the folks who live under dandelions, and celebrate a birthday by dancing with their own shadows. And that’s just for starters!
Hardcover, Harcourt Brace Young Classics, 265 pages
Published September 15th 1997 by Harcourt Brace (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Mary Poppins in the Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Poppins in the Park

Ivonne Rovira
Jul 01, 2014 Ivonne Rovira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
P.L. Travers warns up front that this volume is not the fourth in the series in the sense of being the further adventures of the magical nanny Mary Poppins. Rather, these are adventures that date mostly from the time of Mary Poppins Comes Back and Mary Poppins Opens the Door. As Travers says, “She [Mary Poppins] cannot forever arrive and depart.”

Some of the characters from the previous books reappear — Fred Smith, the imperious Park Keeper; Admiral Boom, the Bird Woman of St. Paul’s Cathedral, t
booklady
I know what you’re thinking...just another children’s book, can’t be worth reading, so why bother about the review? Wonder why she keeps reading and writing these reviews?

That’s the trouble with children’s literature. We look down on it...just like we do children. It’s one of the last acceptable prejudices. Well come on, after all they are just children, really now...they don’t know very much; can’t understand what's important, so what they read isn’t worthwhile either, is it?

When I first start
Hissa Reads
Didn't like this one either..
Janene
Dec 22, 2012 Janene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book in the series is even less of a timeline, less of a glimpse at the Banks family, and more of a six short story collection of unique adventures in the park with Mary Poppins. These could have been inserted anywhere in the previous three books.

Mary Poppins, so tart and snooty, so full of her own perfection, and so likeable at the same time. I really enjoyed this one, the imaginative elements are so rich and childlike.

Jane creates a small park of homes and people made of grass, twigs, and
Cielo
Feb 23, 2014 Cielo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was kind of different from the others, at first I was confused because the beggining didn't match the ending of the third book, but then I realized that they where all completely separate stories that where meant to take place sometime between the past three books. I felt that many of them where more fables than anything else, with their own little moral at the end. But not all of them. My favorite was the one about the shadows in the park and Mary poppin's birthday.
Christine Blachford
Rather than the sticking to the previous format of Mary Poppins arriving in a random fashion, bringing with her adventures galore before leaving again without a whisper of warning, this book follows selected stories from those times. I quite like that change, rather than knowing it will all end sadly when she disappears again, instead you can just revel in the joy and go with it.

There felt like quite a lot of joy to be had too. As the book is about Mary Poppins in the park, most of the stories t
Clare
Aug 21, 2015 Clare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marie Perrin, Marion Landi
I'm going to do just one review for the entire Mary Poppins series, and copy it to all of the these as I listened to them, one right-after-another, and they are rather blurred together as one lovely, entertaining, and altogether delightful story.

I'm not sure why I'd not read these before now! You'd think, working in a library- and having read aloud to my daughter every night for years, that somehow I would have hit upon the Mary Poppins books to read-and I truly, truly wish I had!! Because we wo
Lauren
Nov 25, 2015 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, I was amazed because this is the very first book in the series where Mary Poppins actually treats the children kindly - she even hugs them! So I was going to rate the story higher than the previous entries, until the story about Matilda Moe. OMG ya'll, a "savage Indian" grabs her and claims her as his "squaw"/slave. She's begging Mary Poppins, her husband, and the children to save her from a life of slavery and (implied) rape (she is going to be the "queen" to the Indian's "King"), and they' ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins #4), P.L. Travers, Mary Shepard (Illustrator)
Katie Ann
Oct 30, 2012 Katie Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Such a good classic book!
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
*sigh* Well, the taxing journey is over. This fourth novel in the P.L. Travers series is basically another volume of random, unconnected adventures of Jane and Michael Banks and their nasty, unpleasant (but *magical*!) nanny, Mary Poppins. Apparently, this book is not a continuation of the story, but a collection of six new stories that could be placed anywhere throughout the timelines of the first three books. That basically means that Mary Poppins doesn't appear at the beginning and leave agai ...more
aaron
May 24, 2014 aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is the fourth book in the mary poppins series but as the intro states it does not necessarily take place after the third book. this is a collection of stories that happen to michael and jane banks in the park across the street from their house. they are meant to be taken as extra stories that happened during mary poppins previous three visits. this is more of the same mystical, narcissistic fun that happened in the first three books. if you like them, you'll like this.
Cleo
Mary Poppins In the Park is not actually about the fourth visit of Mary Poppins (because there wasn't one), but rather a collection of stories that happened during her first three visits. I enjoyed this one, though perhaps not as much as the first too. It was just as good as Mary Poppins Opens the Door though, and some of the stories were more meaningful and deep than from the previous three volumes. For example, the first story Every Goose a Swan, about who people really are, rather than their ...more
Alex
Jul 07, 2015 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fairly good Mary Poppins book, probably not my favorite, but to be honest it went by faster because of the longer chapters. I loved the notion of Mary Poppins nannying children in fairyland, and the adventure in the Park within the Park, with Eeny, Meenie, and Mynie Mo was fun too. I loved the idea of having a chapter about Hallowe'en, but would have loved it to be just a touch spookier, as "spooky-lite" is one of my favorite things.
Wileyacez
Jan 13, 2014 Wileyacez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, the final book--at least of the ones I bought for the kids back in the day. This one was perhaps my favorite. It had nothing to do with the Disney version, and it's tone was more of a woman looking back--trying to remember her childhood. Instead of a book, per se, this one is a compilation of stories unrelated to any ongoing plot. Over and over again, it seems to speak to someone trying to remember what it was to be young. This speaks to me as a more mature person; the memory of youth is som ...more
Joanne
Aug 27, 2009 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The movie not being one i liked particularilly I was reluctant to read the series of Mary Poppins, but they were a great deal more enjoyable. With the nanny herself being a lot more realistic than portrayed in the film. The children embark on a series of adventures that more often than not don't actually include the formiddable Mary Poppins. The magical trips are short and sweet with a simple message or lesson in them...even some of the clichéd ones, such as " be careful what you wish for", not ...more
Jill
Travers really has a turn of phrase for a description. This was a fun read and full of pretty sophisticated language for children's lit. I always like that - something that pushes a child's vocab. It's very imaginative, though there's not much of a plot. It's just a series of adventures.
Anne
This was my first foray into the literary form of Mary Poppins. She is rather a crusty bird. I can't say that I took much of a shine to her, though the kids enjoyed the stories in the book. Good bedtime reading.
Isee Warburton
Jul 05, 2015 Isee Warburton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved the Mary Poppins series ever since I was about six, and so does everybody else in my family. I have to say this is a wonderful read for people from 5-100.
Randi Abel
Dec 21, 2015 Randi Abel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is BRILLIANT. P.L. Travers understood children so well and I just love how conceited and stern Mary Poppins is. These books are must reads for children and the young at heart. Absolutely love them. The movie is terrible in comparison.
Bookista
Jun 16, 2015 Bookista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Mary Poppins story is in this one, "A Park Within a Park," where they become tiny-sized and the bees are as big as birds!
Teri Reck
Jul 14, 2014 Teri Reck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again delightful, whimsical and free. This one departed a bit from the usual set up for her books which made it a bit more enjoyable.
Veronica
Nov 24, 2015 Veronica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasty
Mary Poppins returns for one last group of stories sitting in the park with Jane, Michael, the Twins and their last little sibling. This book is not a new group of adventures, but rather the ones that were too wide and too big to cram into the other stories.

I chose this book for my library because Mary Poppins is almost every child's dream: a creator of fun and magic to transport you somewhere amazing, and I feel like my kids will leaven their classroom seats to transport right there with them o
Alex I.
I read the series many years ago, but it is very different from the movie and highly recommend reading all of them!
Jewels
Dec 10, 2015 Jewels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
The way in which Ms. Travers set up the Mary Poppins novels -- each chapter being little adventures unto themselves -- worked very well for continuing the series. Mary Poppins only visited the Banks children three times, but the novels could keep going indefinitely due to the fact that she could integrate the new stories back into the timeline of the visits. She kept the continuity very clean as well, so the new stories fit right in. The shadows dancing at Halloween was my favorite of this book ...more
Not quite as awful as the others but I still can't bring myself to give it three stars.
Suzi Zastrow
Jan 15, 2016 Suzi Zastrow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This was my favorite of the first four Mary Poppins books. I loved every word of it! It was fun and magical!
Caren
Mar 25, 2014 Caren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although there are some fun parts, I mostly found this one weird.
Lesley
Jan 11, 2015 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read for the holidays, almost through the set
Mackenzi
Jun 17, 2014 Mackenzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Poppins is the queen of sass and I really just love her.
  • The Witch Family
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)
  • The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)
  • Miss Happiness and Miss Flower
  • Then There Were Five (The Melendy Family, #3)
  • Katie John
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #3)
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • The Phoenix and the Carpet (Five Children, #2)
  • 120 przygód Koziołka Matołka. Ks. 1
  • Caddie Woodlawn's Family
  • Karlson Flies Again
  • Gelsomino en el país de los mentirosos
  • Freddy the Detective
  • Doctor Dolittle's Post Office (Doctor Dolittle, #3)
Pamela Lyndon Travers was an Australian novelist, actress and journalist, popularly remembered for her series of children's novels about mystical nanny Mary Poppins.
She was born to bank manager Travers Robert Goff and Margaret Agnes. Her father died when she was seven, and although "epileptic seizure delirium" was given as the cause of death, Travers herself "always believed the underlying cause w
More about P.L. Travers...

Mary Poppins (6 books)
  • Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1)
  • Mary Poppins Comes Back (Mary Poppins, #2)
  • Mary Poppins Opens the Door (Mary Poppins, #3)
  • Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane (Mary Poppins, #5)
  • Mary Poppins and the House Next Door (Mary Poppins, #6)

“She sounds like you, Mary Poppins,' said Michael. 'So terribly pleased with herself!” 3 likes