Bright Earth: Art and the Invention of Color

Bright Earth: Art and the Invention of Color

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  494 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A fascinating study of the evolution of color in art and science from antiquity to the present.

For art in the twentieth century, medium is the message. Many artists offer works defined by their materials. In no aspect is this more strikingly demonstrated than in the use of color.

Bright Earth is the story of how color evolved and was produced for artistic and commercial use
Published February 20th 2002 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Bright Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bright Earth

Charles Matthews
This review originally appeared in the San Jose Mercury News:

Whenever I tell people that I'm colorblind they want to talk about it, which can be frustrating. What's it like? they ask. What's it like not being colorblind? I reply.

The best I can do is to explain that, no, the world doesn't look like a black-and-white movie to me. I'm mildly red-green deficient: For me, some pinkish beiges are identical to greenish ones; some purples are indistinguishable from bluish-gray.

You can see what I see...more
Kev
Sep 11, 2008 Kev rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jeff Kelley, Aaron Simmons, Clayton Crockett, Alan Weatherly, Gabe Gentry
Recommended to Kev by: Scientific American Book Review
The best parts are the historical tracereis of the names of colors we take for granted but have no connection anymore to the "earthiness" of their origins. Like this. Crimson comes from the Greek word that approximated the name of an insect that when crushed by pestol would produce an intense dye of deep bluish red.

It is not particularly well-written -- very dense and sometimes clumsy. But, it is so fascinating that one puts up with the style because the ideas are so intriguing.

The most interest...more
Michael
Nov 05, 2011 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: Shu-ju Wang
Bright Earth -- a book that I had no knowledge of except that it had ended up on my Reading List, and somehow thought was going to be a novel set in India -- turns out to be a history of the pigments used in artists' paints. It was an eye-opener, even literally I suppose. I had never really thought about the character of art being influenced by the available materials. I hope I am not alone in having unthinkingly sort of assumed that all pigments were available to all artists everywhere, and tha...more
Dеnnis
Brimful of facts, the book enhances our understanding of colors, color perception and production, drawing and history of art in general. It portrays interesting intertwinement of painting techniques development and 'hardware' available for artists at various points in history.

I found it impossible to read without an Internet access available around. Despite a number of illustrations the author constantly refers (and for good reasons) to a yet greater number of works. Thus it is more rewarding -...more
William Axtell
This is in many ways a great book. Covering the history of pigments in the West from antiquity to the present day, it is stuffed full of interesting facts so that every page is filled with something fascinating. Also, at the beginning, there is a intriguing chapter on the science of colour and visual perception which really makes one think about what it is that one sees. However, the book is far from faultless. At times, it feels like a bit of a ramble, threatening to fall apart as it fails to s...more
Paolo Gianoglio
Un libro complesso, che richiede una buona dose di volontà per seguire i complessi ragionamenti in campo tecnico-scientifico e in campo artistico. 346 pagine dense, confesso che in qualche capitolo mi sono un po’ perso, soprattutto nel post Rinascimento. Ma anche 346 pagine piene di rimandi, di tante storie che non conoscevo, di sofisticati pensieri sul senso dell’arte ma anche sull’influsso che l’arte ha avuto sulla nostra percezione del mondo. In una società come la nostra, basata in larga mis...more
Ugh
As I've come to expect from Ball, this is very thoroughly researched and both engagingly and authoritatively written. It does what it sets out to do, and it does it well. How much you'll like it therefore depends purely on your interest in the subject matter. However, there are more subsections to the subject than you might expect, and so your interest might wax and wane a little throughout. I personally found it generally very interesting, at times fascinating and at times rather dull. It doesn...more
Marcella Bongiovanni
Un saggio assolutamente imperdibile. Lo avevo comprato un po' per caso, non sapendo esattamente di cosa si trattasse. Dopo averlo acquistato mi ero persino pentita, pensando a qualcosa di "tecnico" quasi. La lettura tuttavia è intrigante, piena di dettagli anche linguistici, mai noiosa.
Ringrazio Luisa Carrada per il consiglio.
Jessie
I have long been interested in art and so I found this book to be quite interesting. It was a bit difficult to read at times because it got very technical, so if you have more exposure to science it would probably be more readable for you. It is also a book that requires a lot of close attention and I don't have that opportunity much these days. Nevertheless, it was a good read and full of fun tidbits about paints and painting.
Ruth Charchian
Compared to other books on color, this one was overly technical, dense, unillustrated and academic. Who writes a book on color and fails to include more that 8 color pictures? The book is packed with interesting information but just too much like a college text book for me. Lots of potential for the author to have done something much more interesting.
Miles
Oct 22, 2008 Miles rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artists, painters, curators and art historians.
As a painter, I liked this book a lot. It provided a lot of information and background on pigments and the history of paint and paint making. While Victoria Finlay's "Color" was a pleasant read and entertaining tavelogue, this is a book about color I will read again and recommend to students and fellow artists.
Annette Abbott
About paint - its history, how it is produced, where we get certain pigments, and how people are culturally affected by certain colours. Seldom do I re-read a science book -- but this one is one I've read twice already and no doubt will pick up again.

Converse
A history of chemical pigments from antiquity to the present, mainly with regard to their application in the arts, but touching on dyes, printing, photography, & digital display. 1st chapters on science of color. Needs a glossary of pigments & chemicals.
Helen
There was a lot of good historical information but I ended up quite disappointed in the sketchy coverage of acrylics and modern pigments, including the mistaken idea that they can only create a flat painting, nearly devoid of brush strokes.
Sonja Reid
All you wanted to know about pigments, dyes and inks used in painting. It's a little dry, which is why I kept it as a side read for months, picking it up here and there.

My favorite chapter is the one on how paints change over time. Fun!
Ariane
enjoyable, excellent survey of the history of pigments and dyes in the manufacture of artists' paints. lots of nerdy anecdotes, incidental alchemy, chemistry, development of industrial processes and their relationships to the trajectory of art.
Bret
A very non-pretentious history of the minerals, flowers, animals, and questionable resources that were used in paint, makeup, dyes, etc. (some are still used today). Want to know why that tube of Cadmium Red oil paint costs so much?
Kip

You wouldn't expect this to be such an interesting subject, but the search for pigments has been a really important drive to the development of all sorts of areas of science including pharmacology.
Taí Fernández
Excellent book for artists, designers, and pretty much anyone who wants to understand how color works, and its origins and fundamentals. A must-read for painters.
Flora
I want to read this again. The first time, I didn't really know how to paint. Now that I have learned, I think understanding pigments is important.
Elizabeth
Jan 28, 2007 Elizabeth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
A woman who works in the fashion industry recommended this book. Apparently, it explains the origins of color, dyes and textiles in a palpable way.
Sd
"Trying to paint according to scientific rules of colour, said Paul Klee, 'means renouncing the wealth of the soul'.
Barbara
It's so good I've read it twice. Nice mixture of chemistry, history and art. Beautifully illustrated.
BakuDreamer
Maybe it would have been better if Bayer just stuck to synthisizing indigo and making dyes
Kate
Jan 28, 2008 Kate is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So great! Such an intelligent fascinating chemical history of pigment! Can't put it down!
Edward Skoch
Amazing book.
Once you've read this Book you will never see colors the same again !
Katie
Feb 02, 2011 Katie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
this one might take a while - not a book i intend to read all at once.
Susan Gainen
The history, philosophy and chemistry of color -- all by page 73.
Beth
history of color - art - paint
Angelic Guillory
Angelic Guillory marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
  • Nothing If Not Critical: Selected Essays on Art and Artists
  • Jewels: A Secret History
  • The Anthropology of Turquoise: Reflections on Desert, Sea, Stone, and Sky
  • Theory of Colours
  • Classical Drawing Atelier: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Studio Practice
  • What Painting Is
  • The Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques
  • Remarks on Colour
  • Liberty Meadows, Volume 1: Eden
  • The Invisible Dragon: Four Essays on Beauty
22032
Philip Ball (born 1962) is an English science writer. He holds a degree in chemistry from Oxford and a doctorate in physics from Bristol University. He was an editor for the journal Nature for over 10 years. He now writes a regular column in Chemistry World. Ball's most-popular book is the 2004 Critical Mass: How One Things Leads to Another, winner of the 2005 Aventis Prize for Science Books. It e...more
More about Philip Ball...
Morbo: The story of spanish football Critical Mass: How One Thing Leads to Another The Music Instinct: How Music Works and Why We Can't Do Without It The Devil's Doctor: Paracelsus and the World of Renaissance Magic and Science The Self Made Tapestry: Pattern Formation in Nature