Start by marking “Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences” as Want to Read:
Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences

Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences

A little luxury goes a long way! Discover the treasures you can knit from single skeins of the expensive yarns you dream about. More than 100 patterns include elegant wraps and scarves, cuddly baby blankets, evening bags, and dozens of other projects destined to become cherished heirlooms. Indulge yourself with a small sampling of creamy cashmere, lustrous alpaca, seductiv ...more
Published October 8th 2008 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders

SallyHP
Nov 14, 2010 SallyHP rated it it was amazing
Shelves: she-s-crafty
I ordered this book on amazon in order to get some inspiration for things that could accompany Christmas gifts. I didn't expect to be able to have the actual project be the gift. It has substantial items from scarves to socks and hats that people will appreciate. Plus, they're knit in luscious yarns that would break the bank if using 4 or more skeins, but one is within the budget if you're planning to knit for multiple people. I can't wait to get my Holiday knitting firmly underway.
Kitten Kisser
Sep 10, 2014 Kitten Kisser rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
This is going to be so much fun! I can't wait to get started! We have so many skeins stored everywhere (open up a door in our home & a rainbow of skeins pop out! They multiply like tribbles!) we can't do much big stuff with them unless we want to make something pretty funky looking! Sound familiar? This book offers the perfect solution! Lots of cute projects to use up those skeins!
The beginning of the book is loaded with full color glossy photos of the various projects you can make with one
Tonileg
Nov 27, 2012 Tonileg rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting-crafts
Great shawl, hat and cute baby clothes patterns, mixed up with lots of random projects like bags, mittens, clutch, etc...
Patterns are organized by yarn weight just like the other books in this series 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders or Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!. There are great photos in the beginning of the book of each finish project. They added charts as well as written out row pattern styles and there are a lot of different brands and materials for the
Isabel
Mar 06, 2015 Isabel rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015-read
This book was very disappointing- glad it came from the library rather than out of my wallet. while there are some patterns that caught my eye, overall I don't like the layout of the book at all, the photos all at the front and having to flip from photo to pattern. The charts are difficult to read ( and difficult to make a working/enlarged copy). There is no "Sources" appendix, so if you are interested in a particular yarn you've got to do your research from scratch. Overall, a disappointment.
Kate
Dec 19, 2008 Kate added it
Shelves: craft
Caveat: I have not knitted any of these projects myself. I bought this as a gift for a friend at work who is an advanced beginner/intermediate knitter. She likes making gifts for friends and family, and there are a nice selection of baby-related items in the book which I thought would be helpful for all her friends who are pregnant. After I bought it, however, I did some browsing online and was shocked at the number of corrections to the book. From what I saw when I flipped through it, I'd like ...more
Beth
Dec 05, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
Lots of patterns for little things made with luxury yarns. A few are crocheted, but most are knit. Although everything takes "one skein" I think it would have been helpful to state the actual yardage needed for each pattern, so that one knows how big a skein to get, especially when substituting yarns. Secondly, I really wish the photos were on the same page as the pattern. It was annoying to have to flip back and forth, and worse because the photos were not printed in the same order as the patte ...more
anita
Jun 02, 2009 anita rated it did not like it
I specifically bought this book for one pattern - The Christening Blanket. I read the instructions and read them again and again. How they are currently written the blanket if knitted up will get smaller and smaller. Luckily, I am resourceful and asked another friend on line who has made said blanket. THIS SHOULD NOT BE THE CASE. Did no one test the instructions before they made it to print?
Aquit
I was going to give up on this book since I was disappointed with the patterns when halfway it, I finally found some patterns I actually like. There are at least 10 patterns I'm going to try like some scarfs, and cowls, a pair of booties, and some mitts. The pictures are really pretty and they do grab your attention. Can't wait to knit these!
Denise
Sep 12, 2014 Denise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
Nothing really new here, all the usuals (scarves, bags, gloves, fingerless gloves [who makes these??] and socks) with a few oddities you'll probably never make like necklaces, bangles, etc. Very meh.
Caroline
Jan 12, 2009 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
I really liked the wide range of projects in the book, although they did seem rather yarn-specific (as to the material of the yarn). The patterns use a wide variety of skill levels, so there are fun designs for the beginner up to a very experienced knitter.
Wendy
Apr 07, 2010 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: craft
Some lovely patterns in this book of small projects. The Fountain Hood came out beautifully as did the Alpaca Elephant hat that was demanded by my 3yo.

I've just finished the Bison Shawlette, the pattern was easy to follow however only the right side rows are charted.

Katherine Cowley
Jun 21, 2011 Katherine Cowley rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, art, adult
Because of the cover, I thought this was both a knitting and a crochet book. It's actually a knitting book with about 3 crochet patterns. One of those is an adorable crochet hat. I don't yet knit, so I'm not able to judge it.
Mckinley
Feb 26, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Lots of lacy patterns and baby items. Divided by weight of yarn.

All the photos were upfront and not with the patterns, since it was an e-book I was looking at I found this and the navigation annoying.

I'm not tempted to try these.
Jan 28, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfic, crafting
Similar to the first one skein wonder book. Not as creative as I'd hoped. The pattern search by yarn yards feature on ravelry is much more useful.
Mazzou B
To get out again
Beverly
May 22, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it
Really good book, lots of nice patterns
Karen
Jan 24, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
This yarn sounds very luxurious, especially the mittens knit in Reclaimed Cashmere. Yes, someone actually takes casmere garments and unravels them to make skeins or Reclaimed Cashmere.
Laurel
Aug 27, 2009 Laurel rated it really liked it
Some really great patterns. Lots of variety.
Amy
Feb 10, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, knitting
So many patterns, so little time...
Kelly
May 11, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craftyresources
Great book of cute little projects
Jess
The formatting of the ebook is awful. I'm not blown away by any of the patterns either.
Barbara
Sep 25, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Pretty scarves, arm warmers , pillows, i-cord necklaces for pendants,
Carole
Mar 25, 2012 Carole rated it it was amazing
I need my own copy. There are several patterns I *need* to knit out of here. Soon.
Liz
Mar 24, 2010 Liz rated it really liked it
Terrific one-skein book. So many projects begging to be done.
Michelle
Jun 04, 2009 Michelle added it
made - flirty neck warmer
scarves, shawls, hat, small knit bag/envelope/cd holder
Tina
Feb 03, 2014 Tina added it
Mittens - p234
Joan54
Jan 19, 2015 Joan54 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, I made two pairs of the silk merino fingerless gloves.
Nov 01, 2012 Laura added it
Love this series!
Anne
Jan 08, 2014 Anne added it
It's good if you can afford the luxury yarns on a regular basis.
ThePinkCarrot
Nov 17, 2012 ThePinkCarrot rated it really liked it
Gorgeous pictures and lots of recipes for knitted and crocheted goodies that look yummy enough to eat!
If you like soft, soft yarns, and ideas for using them, this is the book for you!
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • More Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • Scarf Style
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • Folk Shawls
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks
  • Sock Innovation
  • Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Knitters Handy Book Of Patterns: Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes and Gauges (Interweave)
  • French Girl Knits
  • The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques
  • One More Skein: 30 Quick Projects to Knit
  • Knitting on the Road
  • The Knitting Experience: Book 2: The Purl Stitch
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
Judith Durant is a knitter and beadworker as well as author and editor of several books on both subjects. Trained as a theatrical costume designer, she took a circuitous route through various costume shops in New York, on to a New York theatrical book publishing house, and then to Interweave Press in Colorado, where she was book editor and one of the founding editors of Interweave Knits.

Judith is
More about Judith Durant...