Start by marking “Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences” as Want to Read:
Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences

Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Single-skein projects are all the rage -- portable, fun, quick to finish, and the perfect solution for that stash of orphan yarns. Already, Judith Durant's One-Skein Wonders series has delighted knitters everywhere with fabulous single-skein patterns contributed by some of North America's favorite yarn shops and noted knitwear designers.

Now, Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders,
Published October 8th 2008 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders

SallyHP
I ordered this book on amazon in order to get some inspiration for things that could accompany Christmas gifts. I didn't expect to be able to have the actual project be the gift. It has substantial items from scarves to socks and hats that people will appreciate. Plus, they're knit in luscious yarns that would break the bank if using 4 or more skeins, but one is within the budget if you're planning to knit for multiple people. I can't wait to get my Holiday knitting firmly underway.
Kitten Kisser
This is going to be so much fun! I can't wait to get started! We have so many skeins stored everywhere (open up a door in our home & a rainbow of skeins pop out! They multiply like tribbles!) we can't do much big stuff with them unless we want to make something pretty funky looking! Sound familiar? This book offers the perfect solution! Lots of cute projects to use up those skeins!
The beginning of the book is loaded with full color glossy photos of the various projects you can make with one
Tonileg
Great shawl, hat and cute baby clothes patterns, mixed up with lots of random projects like bags, mittens, clutch, etc...
Patterns are organized by yarn weight just like the other books in this series 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders or Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!. There are great photos in the beginning of the book of each finish project. They added charts as well as written out row pattern styles and there are a lot of different brands and materials for the
Isabel
This book was very disappointing- glad it came from the library rather than out of my wallet. while there are some patterns that caught my eye, overall I don't like the layout of the book at all, the photos all at the front and having to flip from photo to pattern. The charts are difficult to read ( and difficult to make a working/enlarged copy). There is no "Sources" appendix, so if you are interested in a particular yarn you've got to do your research from scratch. Overall, a disappointment.
Beth
Lots of patterns for little things made with luxury yarns. A few are crocheted, but most are knit. Although everything takes "one skein" I think it would have been helpful to state the actual yardage needed for each pattern, so that one knows how big a skein to get, especially when substituting yarns. Secondly, I really wish the photos were on the same page as the pattern. It was annoying to have to flip back and forth, and worse because the photos were not printed in the same order as the patte ...more
Kate
Jun 24, 2009 Kate added it
Shelves: craft
Caveat: I have not knitted any of these projects myself. I bought this as a gift for a friend at work who is an advanced beginner/intermediate knitter. She likes making gifts for friends and family, and there are a nice selection of baby-related items in the book which I thought would be helpful for all her friends who are pregnant. After I bought it, however, I did some browsing online and was shocked at the number of corrections to the book. From what I saw when I flipped through it, I'd like ...more
Joan54
Loved this book, I made two pairs of the silk merino fingerless gloves.
Tina
Feb 03, 2014 Tina added it
Shelves: knitting
Mittens - p234
anita
I specifically bought this book for one pattern - The Christening Blanket. I read the instructions and read them again and again. How they are currently written the blanket if knitted up will get smaller and smaller. Luckily, I am resourceful and asked another friend on line who has made said blanket. THIS SHOULD NOT BE THE CASE. Did no one test the instructions before they made it to print?
Aquit
I was going to give up on this book since I was disappointed with the patterns when halfway it, I finally found some patterns I actually like. There are at least 10 patterns I'm going to try like some scarfs, and cowls, a pair of booties, and some mitts. The pictures are really pretty and they do grab your attention. Can't wait to knit these!
Wendy
Oct 30, 2010 Wendy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: craft
Some lovely patterns in this book of small projects. The Fountain Hood came out beautifully as did the Alpaca Elephant hat that was demanded by my 3yo.

I've just finished the Bison Shawlette, the pattern was easy to follow however only the right side rows are charted.

Anne
Jan 08, 2014 Anne added it
It's good if you can afford the luxury yarns on a regular basis.
Caroline
I really liked the wide range of projects in the book, although they did seem rather yarn-specific (as to the material of the yarn). The patterns use a wide variety of skill levels, so there are fun designs for the beginner up to a very experienced knitter.
Mckinley
Lots of lacy patterns and baby items. Divided by weight of yarn.

All the photos were upfront and not with the patterns, since it was an e-book I was looking at I found this and the navigation annoying.

I'm not tempted to try these.
Katherine Cowley
Because of the cover, I thought this was both a knitting and a crochet book. It's actually a knitting book with about 3 crochet patterns. One of those is an adorable crochet hat. I don't yet knit, so I'm not able to judge it.
Denise
Nothing really new here, all the usuals (scarves, bags, gloves, fingerless gloves [who makes these??] and socks) with a few oddities you'll probably never make like necklaces, bangles, etc. Very meh.
Karen
This yarn sounds very luxurious, especially the mittens knit in Reclaimed Cashmere. Yes, someone actually takes casmere garments and unravels them to make skeins or Reclaimed Cashmere.
ThePinkCarrot
Gorgeous pictures and lots of recipes for knitted and crocheted goodies that look yummy enough to eat!
If you like soft, soft yarns, and ideas for using them, this is the book for you!
Similar to the first one skein wonder book. Not as creative as I'd hoped. The pattern search by yarn yards feature on ravelry is much more useful.
Michelle
Jun 04, 2009 Michelle added it
Shelves: knitting
made - flirty neck warmer
scarves, shawls, hat, small knit bag/envelope/cd holder
Carole
I need my own copy. There are several patterns I *need* to knit out of here. Soon.
Barbara
Pretty scarves, arm warmers , pillows, i-cord necklaces for pendants,
Liz
Terrific one-skein book. So many projects begging to be done.
Beverly
Really good book, lots of nice patterns
Laurel
Some really great patterns. Lots of variety.
Amy
So many patterns, so little time...
Kelly
Great book of cute little projects
Laura Hontz
Love this series!
Susan Slottke
Susan Slottke marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • More Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • Scarf Style
  • Folk Shawls
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques
  • 2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle Works for any Sock Pattern!
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
  • Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Sock Book: History*Technique*Design
  • Knitting on the Road
  • One More Skein: 30 Quick Projects to Knit
Judith Durant is a knitter and beadworker as well as author and editor of several books on both subjects. Trained as a theatrical costume designer, she took a circuitous route through various costume shops in New York, on to a New York theatrical book publishing house, and then to Interweave Press in Colorado, where she was book editor and one of the founding editors of Interweave Knits.

Judith is
More about Judith Durant...
One-Skein Wonders 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks! Crochet One-Skein Wonders Lace One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace