Start by marking “Your Left-Handed Child: Making Things Easy for Left-Handers in a Right-Handed World” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Around one in ten people are left-handed, but being a left-handed child in a right-handed world isn't easy. Nothing seems to fit and parents don't always know how to give guidance on even everyday activities when they're approached from the "wrong" position. Leading expert in left-handedness Lauren Milsom describes simple but effective strategies to help kids, from the ver ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Hamlyn

To ask other readers questions about Your Left-Handed Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Left-Handed Child

Trudy Pomerantz
A fairly quick and interesting read. It was interesting to realize the truth of the statements regarding how uncoordinated I, as a left-hander felt as a child trying to use tools that were meant for right-handed people.
Martha
I really enjoyed this book. It was really interesting to read about the adaptations left-handed people have to make in our right-handed world. It opened my eyes to simple things I can hopefully do to help Madison. From writing, to cutting paper, stirring mixing bowls, and even to using the computer, everything is a right-handed centered world! It was cool to read that some of the things I've observed Madison doing are because of her being left-handed. The most interesting thing I learned that wa ...more
Em
Apr 30, 2010 Em rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with lefthanded kids!
Shelves: factual, 2010
One of my 5 year old twin daughters is left handed and writing is a struggle at the moment, I bought this book mainly to get some hints and ideas about how to help her with this since her teacher asked me to practice with her at home. As a very right handed person, there are many other things things that I hadn't previously considered ie. location of computer mouse, cutlery and even dressing that are affected by a person handedness. The book has certainly given me some food for thought.
Kate Hastings
Oct 19, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parenting left-handedness child development
Shelves: adult
It's becoming more apparent that Colin has chosen his left hand, so I thought I would read up to see what I can do to help him out at home.

Turns out-- there are a lot of simple ways that dumb Mommy just didn't think about-- helping him stir counter-clockwise, positioning his paper differently, zipping zippers, turning on lamps-- and remembering to move the mouse over for him at the computer. I LOVE THIS BOOK!
Cris
I'd definitely recommend this for parents of a left-handed child. I wish my parents had been able to read this when I was a child. The information and specific suggestions offered by Milsom would have helped, especially in school.
LL
Skimmed it quickly one evening - not a long read at all. But an excellent resource on things righty parents should look out for to help their leftie children.
Sara
This is very interesting and has some simple tips to make things easier as you parent a left-handed child in a right handed world.
Ingrid
I can't believe I have a left-handed child and knew nothing about being left-handed!
Macy Michele
Macy Michele marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Cynorra
Cynorra marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
♥L♥ ♥J♥
♥L♥ ♥J♥ marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa is currently reading it
Mar 05, 2014
Aiyanna
Aiyanna marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Claudette
Claudette marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Toomas
Toomas marked it as to-read
May 21, 2013
Jayarajan Gk
Jayarajan Gk marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Julia Willes
Julia Willes marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
Roxy
Roxy added it
Sep 27, 2013
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013
Tish
Tish marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2012
Your Left-Handed Child: Making things easy for left-handers in a right-handed world