Start by marking “Giant Meatball” as Want to Read:
Giant Meatball

Giant Meatball

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Amerry meatballis rollingapath of destructionthrougha small town. He rolls over pets, petunias, and the library--where he refuses to shush. When he rolls over themayor herself, the townspeople know it's time. Time to invite the meatball to dinner. . .

Sly humor abounds in this charming, offbeat story that will appeal to anyone who's ever faced a bully--and, of course, to sp
Published June 1st 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Giant Meatball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giant Meatball

Scope
Note to authors: if you’re looking for a way to make your upcoming children’s book appeal to kids who dig the absurd, make your main character a food. It worked for “Arnie the Doughnut“. Honestly - is there a more surefire way to communicate that your story is out to have a good time? In the opinion of this simple librarian, no. “Giant Meatball” is an oddball of a book with a surprise ending that will score points with fans of silly.

The titular Meatball has been keeping to himself for years. He
Cailean
Umm....this book is kind of psycho. The meatball looks kind of nasty and the story is kind of weird. The strangest part is the very advanced words used for a picture book: disquiets? sullies? trouncing? It's almost as if an English major was up way too late one night writing a paper and decided to write a children's book instead. Even though they had no clue what the plot was (because of the advanced words), our kids giggled at the meatball bouncing around.
Leslie
Checked this one out at the library for my 6 yr old who loves silliness. An okay book that is definately silly. My son lilked it more than I did which is how it should be.

Short enough for kids with short attention spans, it has lots of pictures and not a whole lot of text.
It's more of a read to book than a read on your own because a kid old enough to read it alone might find it more for the little kids, say, 6ish and under.
Angie
I have a thing for personified food...so when I picked up this book I was quite excited! It was a cute book, but I found the end to be a bit abrupt. And, good grief, all the little librarian had to say to the meatball was "shhh". I think I would have a little more to say to a giant meatball running around my library!
Zonia
Fun read aloud paired with On Top of Spaghetti and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.
Amanda
Kind of a strange story about a giant meatball who is so wrapped up in himself that he doesn't realize that he's a terrible neighbor and ends up, well... I won't spoil it for you.
Cristina
A giant meatball unknowingly plagues a town. I have a feeling kids would really like this book.Funny dialogue and a surprise ending.
Olivia
i think that a giant meatball rolling around is nasty if u eat it after.
Jen H.
Yikes- did not like this book at all. Sort of disturbing, creepy, and weird.
Beth
Fun word choice and humor. Not really sure if I loved the ending.
Christina
A silly book that would be a fun read aloud.
Diane
Leo enjoyed reading this book.
tony
don't ever look at the signs
I love this book :P
Wendy
Wendy added it
Apr 12, 2014
Morgan Sinclair
Morgan Sinclair marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Kari
Kari added it
Nov 04, 2013
Angie
Angie added it
Jun 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Food Hates You, Too and Other Poems Can You Dig It? Calculus of Variations Gordimer Byrd's Reminder I'm Not.