Start by marking “Giant Meatball” as Want to Read:
Giant Meatball

Giant Meatball

Amerry meatballis rollingapath of destructionthrougha small town. He rolls over pets, petunias, and the library--where he refuses to shush. When he rolls over themayor herself, the townspeople know it's time. Time to invite the meatball to dinner. . .

Sly humor abounds in this charming, offbeat story that will appeal to anyone who's ever faced a bully--and, of course, to sp
Published June 1st 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Giant Meatball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giant Meatball

Scope
May 20, 2008 Scope rated it really liked it
Note to authors: if you’re looking for a way to make your upcoming children’s book appeal to kids who dig the absurd, make your main character a food. It worked for “Arnie the Doughnut“. Honestly - is there a more surefire way to communicate that your story is out to have a good time? In the opinion of this simple librarian, no. “Giant Meatball” is an oddball of a book with a surprise ending that will score points with fans of silly.

The titular Meatball has been keeping to himself for years. He
Leslie
May 25, 2009 Leslie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Checked this one out at the library for my 6 yr old who loves silliness. An okay book that is definately silly. My son lilked it more than I did which is how it should be.

Short enough for kids with short attention spans, it has lots of pictures and not a whole lot of text.
It's more of a read to book than a read on your own because a kid old enough to read it alone might find it more for the little kids, say, 6ish and under.
Cailean
Jul 03, 2011 Cailean rated it it was ok
Umm....this book is kind of psycho. The meatball looks kind of nasty and the story is kind of weird. The strangest part is the very advanced words used for a picture book: disquiets? sullies? trouncing? It's almost as if an English major was up way too late one night writing a paper and decided to write a children's book instead. Even though they had no clue what the plot was (because of the advanced words), our kids giggled at the meatball bouncing around.
Angie
Jun 13, 2008 Angie rated it liked it
I have a thing for personified food...so when I picked up this book I was quite excited! It was a cute book, but I found the end to be a bit abrupt. And, good grief, all the little librarian had to say to the meatball was "shhh". I think I would have a little more to say to a giant meatball running around my library!
Zonia
Sep 23, 2008 Zonia rated it liked it
Shelves: read-school
Fun read aloud paired with On Top of Spaghetti and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.
Cristina
A giant meatball unknowingly plagues a town. I have a feeling kids would really like this book.Funny dialogue and a surprise ending.
Amanda
Feb 23, 2010 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-s-books
Kind of a strange story about a giant meatball who is so wrapped up in himself that he doesn't realize that he's a terrible neighbor and ends up, well... I won't spoil it for you.
Ashley Salisbury
Ashley Salisbury rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it did not like it
Aug 15, 2008
Kymberly
Kymberly rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Nicki
Nicki rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Stacey
Stacey rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Diane
Jun 24, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Leo enjoyed reading this book.
Jen H.
Jul 13, 2008 Jen H. rated it did not like it
Yikes- did not like this book at all. Sort of disturbing, creepy, and weird.
Tam
Tam rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2011
John
John rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2011
Ava
Ava rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2013
Marguarite Markley
Marguarite Markley rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2011
Rose
Rose rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2008
Courte
Courte rated it it was ok
Jul 04, 2014
tony
Jan 23, 2009 tony rated it it was amazing
don't ever look at the signs
Sergio
Sergio rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2011
wwe vice chairmen Brandon
wwe vice chairmen Brandon rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2009
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2014
Ashley Farley
Ashley Farley rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2010
Nia
Nia rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2010
Rita
Rita rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2008
Jj
Jj rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2010
Aspasia
Aspasia rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2012