Start by marking “Amores” as Want to Read:

Ovid's "Amores" translated by Guy Lee in the 1960s.
paperback, 189 pages
Published 1961 by William Clowes and Sons (first published -16)

To ask other readers questions about Amores, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amores

Faith Bradham
Apr 02, 2010 Faith Bradham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, i-own, latin
Oh Ovid, how silly you are! I thoroughly enjoyed translating Amores I (Amores I includes the first diptych in Latin poetry, if you're interested). The only thing I did not like about this book was the editory, Barsby. He was quite insufferable. But, if you will just ignore the commentary on the right-hand pages, then you'll be able to enjoy this without any problems. That is, if you know Latin. Although I suppose you could just read the English translation at the bottom of the page. :)
Caroline Beatle
Feb 20, 2016 Caroline Beatle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roma, 2016
Sólo Amores.

(…) Yet once I was ever in fear of the night and its empty phantoms; I marvelled at whosoever would venture abroad in darkness. Cupid laughed in my ear, with his tender mother, too, and lightly said: "You, too, shall become valiant!" And without delay came love—no shades that flit by night, no arms raised up to deal my doom, do I fear now. You alone I fear, too unyielding to my wish; on you alone I fawn; it is you who hold the thunderbolt that can ruin me.
(I. vi, 9.)*

* trad. G. Showerman (1914)
Mar 22, 2008 Joseph rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: First time lovers and long time philanderers
Recommended to Joseph by: Lia
I borrowed this book from one of my goodreads friends and when she loaned me her copy she told me that it's a more lusty and explicit translation than the newer copies. After reading this book all I can say is I can't believe I didn't read it sooner. Not only is it a great read, it acts as a double-edged sword guide to either seduce someone already in a relationship (or to a lesser extent cheat on your lover), or to realize what not to do when you first fall in love. The translation was earthy a ...more
Nov 30, 2009 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ovid is overrated.

Ovid's Poetry: 3 stars. Propertius is way better. Skill in verse and playfulness in ideas do not a good poet make: Ovid's inability to be serious -- ever -- marks him down in my book. Give me the bathos of Catullus or the sharp, distilled emotion of Propertius over this tripe. (Not gonna lie, though -- 1.5 is pretty sweet.)

Barsby's Commentary: 3 stars. The commentary itself is quite excellent, but putting the translation right below the text was annoying and led to much slothfu
Iván Leija
Nada memorable excepto algunas elegías: la primera de Amores I, la dedicada a la aurora (I 13), aquella donde personifica la Elegía y la Tragedia (III 1), la del vestido en el circo (III 2), la de las tablillas rechazadas (I 12), aquellas en las que Ovidio habla de su inmortalidad, y también tal vez un par de líneas de otras.

Amores mejor que Arte de amar, pero las Metamorfosis 1000 veces mejor que los dos juntos.
Nov 19, 2015 Belén rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fuckboy fuckboy, whatcha' gonna do. Me encanta Ovidio, quizás más que Virgilio. Es muy natural hablando del amor, no es todo un drama como Catulo o Propercio... y eso que es conocedor de la literatura griega. Saca los temás más geniales como los gatillazos o las siestas, y saca su lado más elegiaco cuando se lamenta de que se aburre con su amada, del aborto, de x y de y.
Jesse Broussard
Apr 12, 2010 Jesse Broussard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Hilarious, inappropriate, and has the Latin text in couplets on the left page. What more could you want?
Jun 09, 2012 Elske rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved his witty translation - he brought Ovid's stunning poetry to life again. Who could say Latin is dead? This poetry is as relevant and home-hitting as ever.
Like The She Wolf
Like The She Wolf rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2012
Mk Az
Mk Az rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2013
Kari rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2009
Charles Peterson
Charles Peterson rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Alessandro rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Ieva rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2013
Tijl Vandersteene
Tijl Vandersteene rated it it was ok
Dec 22, 2015
Jo Helios
Jo Helios rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2016
Stephen Melhuish
Stephen Melhuish rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Annabel rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2008
Madelaine rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Phlebotomus rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Jane rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Grant rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2013
Julia rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Daniele rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2014
Mely P.E.
Mely P.E. rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2013
Stacy Kidd
Stacy Kidd rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2008
Ia rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2013
Madison Johnson
Madison Johnson rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Evelyne Auer
Evelyne Auer rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Poems
  • Res Gestae Divi Augusti (the Achievements of the Divine Augustus)
  • Der arme Heinrich
  • The Book of Franza and Requiem for Fanny Goldmann
  • Brigitta
  • Aeneid Book VI: A New Verse Translation
  • The History of Herodotus, V1
  • Wolves (Raised By Wolves, #4)
  • Miss Sara Sampson
  • More Beer
Publius Ovidius Naso (20 March 43 BCE – CE 17/18), known as Ovid (/ˈɒvɪd/) in the English-speaking world, was a Roman poet best known for the Metamorphoses, a 15-book continuous mythological narrative written in the meter of epic, and for collections of love poetry in elegiac couplets, especially the Amores ("Love Affairs") and Ars Amatoria ("Art of Love"). His poetry was much imitated during Late ...more
More about Ovid...