Start by marking “Working for Yourself: Law & Taxes for Independent Contractors, Freelancers & Consultants” as Want to Read:

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Be your own boss -- easily, efficiently and successfully -- with this bestseller! Whether you're an independent contractor, freelancer, or consultant, it all adds up to the same thing: You need to be more aware of laws and taxes than the average person. Fortunately, Working for Yourself provides all the information you need to stay on top of it all. An independent contract ...more
Published March 21st 2008 by NOLO (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Working for Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Working for Yourself

Keiki Hendrix
The subject of laws and taxes are not particularly interesting to those who are starting a freelance or consulting business. If you are considering starting a business as a freelancer or consultant, this is an excellent choice.

NOLO press publishes exceptional resources and this book by Stephen Fishman is no exception. These 21 Chapters and 2 Appendices cover everything one would need to know about forming a freelance business and about the legal responsibilities of the self-employed.

Working for
A comprehensive introduction to freelancing that's well organized, and clearly written with excellent examples. Wish I'd read this helpful book a year ago.
Wow, I wish my husband and I had this book about five years ago when he first began his own web design business. We learned a lot of this information by paying others. If you are new to the business world or are thinking about starting your own business, this is the book for you! The author, an attorney, covers every step of beginning your own business. Inside this book you will find information on the pros and cons of having your own business, including health insurance, taxes, and hiring emplo ...more
This is a book I wish that I had many years ago when I spent 4 years as an independent software contractor. It is a down-to-earth guide to the fundamentals of working as an independent, covering everything from setting up the business to planning for retirement.

This is not a hokey 'secrets of independent consulting' book. Instead, it is a balanced guide, explaining pros and cons for many of the decisions that you will need to make. Fishman explains in detail the advantages, disadvantages, and ri
A terrific concise guide to all of the paperwork you will need to run your own business. It's just enough to give the reader a taste of what needs to be covered. It may even be enough to work through most of the routine forms and requirements that confront most businesses.

But the level of advice and complexity is very basic. For example, it will not show you how to fill out a tax form to capture the LLC charges and feed it through your K1.

You will still likely need an expert, but the book will
The taxes, the taxes made me want to cry. Actually, they made an accountant seem more like a necessary outsourcing than a luxury. Aside from the tax rate calculations, where my eyes glazed over and my fingers hit speeddial to Please God Find Someone Else To Do This, the rest of the business expense information was very useful. This book is mainly about financials with a quick review of legal principles in contracts that focuses very much on the "legal" and not so much on the "what do you really ...more
This has been by far the most informational business book I've read so far. Most books just skim the surface on topics like taxes, but this book gives LOTS of very detailed tax information, from self-employment taxes to sales taxes, etc. It also goes into a lot of detail about record keeping and accounting and how to set that all up to make tax time much easier and less costly. The last section of the book also gave excellent tips about writing up client contracts and agreements. I know I will d ...more
Sep 16, 2011 Maria added it
Shelves: abandoned
This was a very interesting read with tons of good advice. However, it had to go back to the library and I never took it out again. I think I am going to take a break from the business end of my occupation and refocus on the artistic end for the time being.
Dave Peticolas

A thorough, well-written reference from the Nolo Press about the legal and financial implications of self-employment. If you haven't read anything from Nolo you should check them out.

Todd Nemet
Very clear book -- readable and useful. Now I sort of understand why that guy flew his airplane into an IRS building a few months ago. Maybe I can deduct my flight simulator as a business expense?
Very informative and easy to read. Provided a lot of answers to questions and concerns I had. Now if only it would file my taxes for me ;)
Great reference--lots of valuable, detailed information about how to set up the business and what to put in contracts.
As with my past Nolo Press experiences, clear, concise and highly valuable.

it's not an exciting read, but it has been helpful thus far!
Good information on taxes
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Victoria marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Lacey added it
Sep 04, 2015
Jordan is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2015
Ana marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Simon marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Rafsel marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Marcin marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Domonique marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015