Start by marking “Working for Yourself: Law & Taxes for Independent Contractors, Freelancers & Consultants” as Want to Read:

Be your own boss -- easily, efficiently and successfully -- with this bestseller! Whether you're an independent contractor, freelancer, or consultant, it all adds up to the same thing: You need to be more aware of laws and taxes than the average person. Fortunately, Working for Yourself provides all the information you need to stay on top of it all. An independent contract ...more
Published March 21st 2008 by NOLO (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Working for Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Working for Yourself

Keiki Hendrix
The subject of laws and taxes are not particularly interesting to those who are starting a freelance or consulting business. If you are considering starting a business as a freelancer or consultant, this is an excellent choice.

NOLO press publishes exceptional resources and this book by Stephen Fishman is no exception. These 21 Chapters and 2 Appendices cover everything one would need to know about forming a freelance business and about the legal responsibilities of the self-employed.

Working for
Dale
Dec 23, 2008 Dale rated it really liked it
This is a book I wish that I had many years ago when I spent 4 years as an independent software contractor. It is a down-to-earth guide to the fundamentals of working as an independent, covering everything from setting up the business to planning for retirement.

This is not a hokey 'secrets of independent consulting' book. Instead, it is a balanced guide, explaining pros and cons for many of the decisions that you will need to make. Fishman explains in detail the advantages, disadvantages, and ri
Jodie
Mar 28, 2011 Jodie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I wish my husband and I had this book about five years ago when he first began his own web design business. We learned a lot of this information by paying others. If you are new to the business world or are thinking about starting your own business, this is the book for you! The author, an attorney, covers every step of beginning your own business. Inside this book you will find information on the pros and cons of having your own business, including health insurance, taxes, and hiring emplo ...more
loafingcactus
The taxes, the taxes made me want to cry. Actually, they made an accountant seem more like a necessary outsourcing than a luxury. Aside from the tax rate calculations, where my eyes glazed over and my fingers hit speeddial to Please God Find Someone Else To Do This, the rest of the business expense information was very useful. This book is mainly about financials with a quick review of legal principles in contracts that focuses very much on the "legal" and not so much on the "what do you really ...more
James
May 02, 2009 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A terrific concise guide to all of the paperwork you will need to run your own business. It's just enough to give the reader a taste of what needs to be covered. It may even be enough to work through most of the routine forms and requirements that confront most businesses.

But the level of advice and complexity is very basic. For example, it will not show you how to fill out a tax form to capture the LLC charges and feed it through your K1.

You will still likely need an expert, but the book will
Jodi
May 09, 2011 Jodi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This has been by far the most informational business book I've read so far. Most books just skim the surface on topics like taxes, but this book gives LOTS of very detailed tax information, from self-employment taxes to sales taxes, etc. It also goes into a lot of detail about record keeping and accounting and how to set that all up to make tax time much easier and less costly. The last section of the book also gave excellent tips about writing up client contracts and agreements. I know I will d ...more
Maria
Nov 23, 2010 Maria added it
Shelves: abandoned
This was a very interesting read with tons of good advice. However, it had to go back to the library and I never took it out again. I think I am going to take a break from the business end of my occupation and refocus on the artistic end for the time being.
Dave Peticolas

A thorough, well-written reference from the Nolo Press about the legal and financial implications of self-employment. If you haven't read anything from Nolo you should check them out.

Todd N
Apr 11, 2010 Todd N rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Very clear book -- readable and useful. Now I sort of understand why that guy flew his airplane into an IRS building a few months ago. Maybe I can deduct my flight simulator as a business expense?
Dinah
Jun 09, 2011 Dinah rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
As with my past Nolo Press experiences, clear, concise and highly valuable.

Recommended!
Cara
Great reference--lots of valuable, detailed information about how to set up the business and what to put in contracts.
Misty
Dec 17, 2011 Misty rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Very informative and easy to read. Provided a lot of answers to questions and concerns I had. Now if only it would file my taxes for me ;)
Joe
Jan 13, 2015 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A comprehensive introduction to freelancing that's well organized, and clearly written with excellent examples. Wish I'd read this helpful book a year ago.
Tabitha
Feb 18, 2009 Tabitha rated it liked it
it's not an exciting read, but it has been helpful thus far!
Angel Hartline
Angel Hartline rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2007
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Sheila
May 15, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it
Good information on taxes
Lance H. Rand
Lance H. Rand rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Benjamin Miller
Benjamin Miller rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Ted
Ted rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2012
Brian Gabriel
Brian Gabriel rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2012
Olivia Marion
Olivia Marion rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2014
Meril
Meril rated it really liked it
May 10, 2015
Lesly Schuster rehaut
Lesly Schuster rehaut rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Carine
Carine rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Claudia Leger
Claudia Leger rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Stas Bandrovsky
Stas Bandrovsky rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2017
Kelli
Kelli rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Legal Guide for Starting and Running a Small Business
  • The Consulting Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Expand a Seven-Figure Consulting Practice
  • Live Loved: Experiencing God's Presence in Everyday Life
  • Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches - Third Edition
  • Search Engine Optimization: An Hour a Day
  • Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • Christmas Is Not Your Birthday: Experience the Joy of Living and Giving Like Jesus
  • The Wealthy Freelancer
  • Corporate Confidential: 50 Secrets Your Company Doesn't Want You to Know---and What to Do About Them
  • The Photograph
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business
  • My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire
  • Consulting for Dummies
  • The Illusions of Entrepreneurship: The Costly Myths That Entrepreneurs, Investors, and Policy Makers Live By
  • RiverTime
  • Dino-Basketball
  • Patent It Yourself
  • The Dark Horse Book of Monsters (The Dark Horse Book of..., #4)