The Burning Man

The Burning Man

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  969 ratings  ·  62 reviews

From bestselling author Phillip Margolin, a fast-paced legal thriller packed with page-turning suspense.

Peter Hale is a young attorney struggling to make his own mark in his father's venerable law firm when he is presented with the opportunity of a lifetime. During the trial of a multimillion-dollar case, Peter's father, the lead counsel, suffers a heart attack and asks Pe

Published August 1st 1996 by Doubleday

E Wilson

This was the last story in a book of Readers Digest Condensed
stories I received. I think that the condensed version cheats the
author and the reader. I thought that reading a condensed book would allow me to read something that I otherwise would never read, but I
don't think it's worth it.

This book started out strong. The rather unlikable character,
Peter,makes a horrible mistake at his father's law practice and he is exiled to the practice of one of his father's friends who is a public defender...more
Marilyn
Peter Hale is a cocky young lawyer who thinks he’s capable of trying a murder case. But, the truth of the matter is his lifestyle dictates that he’d better get making some money or he’s going to have to make some drastic changes. Harnessed to his attorney father’s agency, Peter makes a fatal career decision when his father has a near-fatal heart attack. Destroying a woman’s hope for settlement from an accident, Peter is disowned by his father and sent to po-dunk America to work for an old colleg...more
Pam
Excellent book, well written and kept my interest until the end. Plot was good and kept me guessing
Dave
A nice story of a poor spoiled rich kid forced to grow up. And he does so wonderfully.
Dennis

During the trial of a multimillion-dollar case, Peter's father, the lead counsel, suffers a heart attack and asks Peter to move for a mistrial until he's feeling better. Peter decides this is his only chance to prove to his father that he is the terrific lawyer he knows himself to be, and he chooses to carry on with the case against his father'...more
Marca
I found another author! Burning Man tells of a young attorney Peter Hale who hopes to leapfrog over paying his dues to be a star in his father's law firm. Peter's arrogance and naiveté cause him to lose one of his father's big cases after his father suffers a heart attack on the day of the trial. As he is wheeled to the ambulance, Peter's father instructs Peter to ask for a mistrial. Peter thinks he knows better and goes ahead with the case and loses everything for the client. Peter's father tea...more
Judi
A retarded man in a small Oregon town is accused of murder and he may very well pay with his life -- the evidence makes a persuasive case against him. Meanwhile he is defended by a lawyer who has just been thrown out of his father's firm for a selfish screw up.

The concept behind this book is interesting. But there is something about THE BURNING MAN that I did not like as much as his previous books and I suspect that it has do with the central character, Peter Hale. Part of Margolin's goal with...more
Dave Thorner
This book was a very fun read.i havent read a philip margolin book I didnt like.the characters were easy to like or dislike which it is exactly how it is supposed to be.like all of the books I have read by this author, there was a definite twist in the end.i would recommend this book highly.
Susan
It's hard to follow up a Gearino with just about anything, but Margolin is so different and The Burning Man turned out to be a good choice. Peter Hale is a young lawyer who has gotten everything in his charmed life the easy way. But, he's just accepted everything and made no effort to learn from his advantaged gifts. In real life - after school and in his father's prestigious law firm, he quickly shoots himself in the foot. And, not for the first time. His father finally cuts him lose and he's f...more
Frederick Bingham
I listened to this on tape on a trip.The is the story of Peter Hale. He is a young attorney working in his father's firm in Portland Oregon. He screws up a case badly and ends up getting fired and exiled to a small town in the eastern part of the state. He gets a job with a small firm handling public defender criminal cases. He ends up with a death penalty defense of a retarded man. He is accused of killing a young blond with a hatchet. Peter gradually figures out what is going on and what he ne...more
Lou Fletcher
A good read for lovers of suspense. Margolin ratchets up the tension throughout and kept me turning the pages. The characters - including the K-9 cop, are well developed and complex. Recommend.
Katherine Devereux
Can't beat Margolin for telling unpredictable tales filled with intrigue and excitement.
Ruth Donald
I loved the opening pages of this book, but just over 80 pages in, I had to quit reading. I felt uncomfortable with some of the subject matter (a mentally challenged - not sure what the politically correct term is, but I know it's not what is now being called the "R word" - adult with sexual fantasies) and there are just too many good reads out there to spend time on one I wasn't enjoying.

I don't feel good about giving a one star review, and I have enjoyed some of Margolin's novels in the past,...more
Natasha
Liked it. A few plot twists.
Joe
'The Burning Man' is a good story written in a style that works for me. Philip Margolin did a pretty good job of keeping it real. The inexperienced small town lawyer does not turn into some kind of super investigator, lawyer god or anything. The capital case and investigation was straight forward not unusual twists or turns. The characters were decent. I appreciate all that in a book, but 'all that' as a whole, came out bland this time.

There wasn't much of an investigation in this book.

Luan
I know characters are supposed to change over the course of the book. I know that it's great to make the reader wonder who the bad guy really is. But, when you make all the characters really unlikeable for such a long period of the time it's really hard to believe they can change so abruptly 2/3rds of the way through the book. Even the mentally handicapped man who is confused is shown at first to be rather sleazy. I was disappointed and kind of creeped out.
Brett
The book finished strong as the "hero" finally was able to see what was obvious to the reader early on. There were still a couple of twists that did surprise.
Maurean
Peter Hale is a young attorney with a lot to prove....in the middle of a high-profile case that could make or break his career...And, Peter faces a choice - between the pursuit of headlines and the pursuit of truth.

As usual, Margolin's storytelling is superb. An intriguing and entertaining courtroom thriller that keeps you turning pages; fairly simple to surmise whodunit, but enough red herrings to keep it interesting
itpdx
A fair to middling legal thriller.
My biggest gripe is that the main character, Peter Hale, seems to have lived his life up until this point as a self-centered, spoiled egotist. But in the book he will suddenly do something good and kind with no chance for recompense. It is hard to believe that he has kept this kinder, gentler person hidden from his father and himself all these years.
Beth
Even though this audiobook was abridged, I didn't feel like I missed out on any of the story, which is sometimes the case with audio. I really enjoyed this story of a self-centered lawyer who learns all about himself while trying an important criminal case that he isn't qualified to try. This book was an interesting Who-Dun-It that kept me guessing until the end.
Andrie A Tirtasusilo
cerita tentang pengacara muda yang merupakan anak dari pengacara terkenal

dia melakukan kesalahan fatal dalam suatu kasus yg menyebabkannya dicap sebagai pengacara gagal dan aib abgi nama besar keluarganya

dia di-expell ke kota kecil dan ternyata di kota ini terdapat suatu kasus besar

overall : keren lah, cerita tentang come-back seseorang yg telah jatuh
Mary Beth
A "coming-of-age" story of a lawyer who has had too many perks and advantages in his life. I enjoyed watching his character grow and mature as the story progressed. Gary, a young man with an IQ between 65-70, was well portrayed, with an equal amount of child-like innocence and sexual development. All this came together to create a good read.
Kristen
There is much about the book I like. Maybe not the best Margolin book out there, but as an attorney from Oregon, the legal portions of the book are thrilling and the connections back to Portland are worth the 5 star rating alone. Others may not agree, but I love Margolin's work for the "home team" reasons alone!
Lee
A good courtroom thriller about a young lawyer who is humiliated in Portland and tries to get redemption as a public defender in a small town in his father’s eyes. Given a chance at a death penalty case this is his chance to shine but will his redemption come at the detriment to his client?
Ian
Not that bad of a read, reminded me of Grisham in the manner that it revolves around courtroom activities. It sure did pull me along, and although I couldn't put it down at parts, the ending wasn't as great as I had hoped.
Wuraola Akande
An awesome read, had this book for a few months before actually reading it. Just to say when i started a couldn't stop! The story is a well balanced and awesome piece of work which provides a conclusion with a twist!
Dannye
The plot was well constructed. The author led you down a number of paths, causing you to decide that was whodunit, but it wasn't. The overall theme as it related to the evolution of the main character was handled well.
Sharon
Predictable, thought the writing could have been better. Lawyer son not living up to father's expectations, banished to a wasteland, ends up taking on a case he is inexperienced for.
T Dale
This was a decent read. Young lawyer coming of age story. A little contrived, but it reads at the end like a mystery book. Everything is explained in one scene.
  • Critical Judgment
  • The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)
  • Fidelity
  • Primary Justice (Ben Kencaid, #1)
  • Critical Conditions (Alan Gregory, #6)
  • Fugitive Nights
  • Choke
  • The Last Victim
  • Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson, #1)
  • The Tin Collectors (Shane Scully, #1)
  • A Thin Dark Line (Doucet #4)
  • Fourth Procedure
  • Exit Plan (Jerry Mitchell, #3)
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Move to Strike
  • Protect and Defend (Kerry Kilcannon, #2)
  • Gladly the Cross-Eyed Bear
Executive Privilege (Dana Cutler, #1) Gone, But Not Forgotten After Dark Supreme Justice (Dana Cutler, #2) The Associate