The Vision of Escaflowne, Vol. 1

The Vision of Escaflowne, Vol. 1 (The Vision of Escaflowne)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Manga
Published May 15th 2004 by Tokyopop (first published January 1st 2003)

Black Bird, Vol. 1 by Kanoko SakurakoujiHana-Kimi, Vol. 1 by Hisaya NakajoOh My Goddess!, Volume 1 by Kosuke FujishimaThe Gentlemen's Alliance †, Vol. 01 by Arina TanemuraFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki Takaya
Worst Manga
22nd out of 58 books — 41 voters
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
Absolute Trash
16th out of 26 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Anila
I am somewhat certain that this series - or perhaps the anime it is based on - is famous. Well, probably, at least, since I recognize the name and I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable of manga readers.

If it is, I have a simple question.

Why?

The basic plot is mundane, made distinct only by the sheer stupidity of it. Ordinary girl is magically summoned to a planet where war is waged with giant robots.
Fuck.
I should have stayed away the moment I spotted the mecha on the cover.
Once there she meets t...more
Chrissi-chan
"The Vision of absolute, disastrous, terrible, dire and hideous rubbish" is more like it ¬__¬

This is.. an appalling manga. The artwork is horrible in every sense of the word - messy, with far too many lines, completely impossible to dicern at times (gundams + rocks in this artstyle = no comprehension of where anything is ¬__¬) - the character designs are vulgar and the characters themselves aren't much better. Hitomi should die, Allen Schezar should die, Dilandau should die, in fact, the only c...more
Vanessa
I got this out after I watched as much as I could of Escaflowne on the Anime Network (back when the UK had one). I really liked what I saw, and I've been slowly collecting the DVDs... so when I saw the manga at my school library, I was overjoyed and took it out immediately.

What I got was a really bland manga whose pacing made me feel like I was wading through a bog with concrete bricks around my ankles. =_=

If you really want to get immersed in a decent action-fantasy world set to beautiful music...more
Eddie D'intrepid
I was looking forward to a good mecha manga when I got this book, and I was sorely, sorely disappointed. There's mecha in it and they do look cool, but the book as a whole was awful.

The artwork was average (at best) and the story could have been pretty good, but the Prince Van character made me want to gouge out my eyes. I understand that his character is supposed to be a whiny, hot-headed, self-centered punk, but they take it waaaaay too far. Almost every single page is filled with his juvenile...more
Kristin Fletcher-spear
Jun 20, 2009 Kristin Fletcher-spear rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Manga fans
Not really like the anime. Not only are the character designs off putting, but there's none of that lovely Yoko Kanno music.
Alexa
Feb 08, 2014 Alexa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I am quite torn about reviewing this one because I love the anime and while the manga isn't as good, I can't just give it a lower rating. It's Escaflowne! I just can't.

This is one of the few instances in which I'd recommend not reading the manga but watching the anime instead.
Ren
Maybe I would have liked this more if I had never seen the anime this manga was based on. But I've been a fan of the anime for years and if the rest of the manga series is like this first volume than it does not even come close to how good the anime is.

The art is definitely not the best, the characters are barely recognizable (both in design and personality), and the story is very confusing and hard to follow.

I don't think this manga is supposed to be a direct adaptation of the anime series (it...more
Rose
I don't remember this one overly well, probably because the first time I had ever heard of Escaflowne was when I had obsessively watched the anime of it, so the events in the manga and the anime kind of bleed together for me at this point.

The manga is pretty different from the anime in some regards though. The characters look different, some parts of the story are different, etc. I remember thinking I liked the anime better because of that. I think this manga was aimed toward the male population...more
Selena
Oh God, where to start?

If you enjoyed the anime series or the movie, STAY AWAY! In fact, just stay away in general. Compared to the beauty of art, story, and characters of the anime and movie, this manga is full of fail.

Vaan's been reduced to an ass that has an obsession with his height (or lack there of). Hitomi's been transformed to a mousy girl who's only purpose is to get naked, go blond and busty, and power a robot.

In fact, except for the robot, nothing about this Vision of Escaflowne resem...more
Fernando Morales
The anime is just so much better than the books. It kinda funny cause it's one of those situation are reversed where they took a POC manga, and made a successful anime out of it. Infact I can read this books and be like...wait...wait...how did you get that from THIS?
-----

I been watching the anime again after a few years I had to come back and give this a one star review. This is such crap...if good reads had a negative star I would have given it to this.
Steph
I think the only good thing I can say about this was that it's different. Unfortunately, it's too different from the show for my liking; even though that was the intention. I didn't like how Van was portrayed, Allen was pretty much the same, and Hitomi was too whiny and I didn't like the artwork for her. I'm still unsure whether I'll pick up the second one, the storyline intrigued me enough that I would look past the character flaws.
Kyle
Another sad example why anime to manga adaptations are in general a poor idea. Very rarely will you find a case of an anime being turned into a manga with success. Sadly this is an illustration of another failed attempt. While it may find a better reception among those who never have seen the original content of the anime, I still in good conscience can not recommend it.
Robin
Amazing story!
Isa
I really liked the anime, but the manga looks too cluttered - perhaps I just can't stand the fight scenes, particularly when I can't follow what's going on exactly, who fights who etc. The overall mood of the anime (or of the movie) did not transfer to this take of the Escaflowne story, which I had hoped for.
Sam Kushner
The mane point in the hole escaflowne thing is to combine shounen and shoujo...the anime series was alittle to shoujo-ish but the manga and the movie was alot more sucsesfull in there goal (i think) although it still didnt have an altra original plot...
Megan Ridl
I chose to read this because I love the anime series. However, this manga bears absolutely no resemblance to the anime what-so-ever. The story is rushed and not fully explained. I couldn't bring myself to read past book 2. Just... don't.
Jay
I picked this up with a fairly open mind and I wasn't disappointed. I only regret not picking it up sooner considering it near enough ticks all my boxes!

I look forward to reading the next volume...
Chelsy
Well, it's hard to say what I thought about this book. I couldn't help but picture the anime series, which I really loved. It was okay, I guess, I mean...I would read it again, just not any time soon.
Mary
Escaflowne is my favorite anime series. I wanted to love this manga adaptation. The English translation is poor in my opinion. One of the reasons I had a difficult time enjoying it, actually.
Zeara
Jan 13, 2012 Zeara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
A very interesting story that quickly caught my attention. A little hard to follow at times I found ,but overall worth reading.
Pepper
i love escaflowne. i wish i can rewatch the anime ><
-FROZEN-
Not good. Nothing like the anime.
Pam Bendicion
the climax is not really good. -_-
Melumebelle
WOOOOOOT.
Christina Stephens
Christina Stephens marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 15: The Titanic Tournament (Dragon Ball, #15)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection, Vol. 1
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 2 (Drifting Classroom)
  • Love Hina, Vol. 11
  • Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1)
  • Biomega, Bd. 5
Katsuaki Nakamura (中村克明), pen name Katsu Aki (克・亜樹), is a Japanese manga artist best known for his works The Vision of Escaflowne, Futari Ecchi, and Psychic Academy. Mangaka Mine Yoshizaki is one of Aki's former assistants.
More about Katsu Aki...
Psychic Academy Volume 1 The Vision of Escaflowne, Vol. 2 Psychic Academy Volume 2: v. 2 Psychic Academy Volume 3 Psychic Academy Volume 4: v. 4