One of Each

One of Each

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Oliver lives alone in a one-of-each house -- "One plum and one apple, one pear and one peach." But he discovers that two of each is even better because sharing makes room for friends. A "Publishers Weekly" Best Book. Full-color illustrations.
Published September 1st 2000 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about One of Each, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One of Each

Oanh
Olliver Tolliver thought having just one of everything in his house was perfect until a new friend helps him to realize that one is a pretty lonely number...
Janelle
Wonderful vibrant illustrations, a good rhyming rhythm and a sweet story about making friends.
Connie
Some rhyming books work. Others... don't. They sound trite, or forced, or just awkward. This is one of them.

Worse, I don't think I quite like the message. You should have two of everything so you can have friends? I guess it's not a bad message, but why did it even need to be said? When is this ever going to come up? Seems like a long way to go to get to "sharing is good!" And who makes friends by finding random strangers on the street and bringing them home (and then changing everything to suit...more
Ria
This might be my favorite children's book, ever. Just adorable.
Caitlin Barclay
This is such a cute book. It can be used for a variety of reasons but it is also a fun read. The illustrations are colorful and the cat in the story presents a problem that the student can predict how to solve! It rhymes and of course has a repeated phrase ("one of each") that makes the book a tool for phonemic awareness and even fluency. I would recommend this book!
Paul  Hankins
A dog used to living by himself has only had a need for one of each thing. But when he goes out looking for someone with whom he can share his home, some accommodations need to be made. Wonderful, simple rhyme scheme would be inviting to young listeners as a read-aloud.

Caldecott Award Winning artist, Marjorie Priceman's illustrations are colorful and fun!
Ruth Ann
Oliver, the dog, is so pleased with his "one of everything house" that he shows it off to Peggoty the cat, who is not so impressed. So he buys a second of everything so his house works better for company. Very colorful book that would probably appeal to children . . . but even the with a rhyming text, it just didn't "tickle MY fancy".
Heather
51 months - I know we've read this book from the library before but I didn't have it in our Good Reads book shelf. Weird. I wouldn't say this is the most amazon book ever written but the illustrations are cute especially because the dog is a terrier! I had to buy it specifically because the dog looks like our wire fox terriers. :)
Ashlee Gibson
This book is about a dog who has nothing more of one of everything in his house. When he tries to find a friend to share his house with, he finds that he must make some adjustments if he wants her to stay. This book would be a good way to talk about the importance of sharing and how to make adjustments when needed.
Melanie Boss
picture book. This is also a poetry book. Very repetitive, great for young readers and learning readers. Occasional confusing parts and the flow wasn't perfect. About a dog who realizes sharing with friends is better than having everything only just right for himself.
Emmy Ryan
the story is about a dog who moves into a house and only buys one of everything and when he has a friend come over he doesn't have anything to share. this is a good lesson for young kids to be willing to share. the pictures are very fun and full of color.
Kelsi Bowman
One of each would be a good book to introduce young students to poetry. There is repetition in that the last word of every two lines rhymes and are also predictable. The pictures are bright and fun and there is a cute story line about having one of each.
Jane G Meyer
One of Each is a lovely story about Oliver Tolliver who learns that two is better than one--friends are good things to have. The ever so charming artwork by Marjorie Priceman is imaginative and fun. A great book to read again and again to little ones...
Janet Chen
Great book to emphasize rhyming and maybe even phonemic awareness. There are words in there that you can focus on based on the beginning phoneme or ending phoneme. Great book to read from grades k -4. Pictures and story inside are great too!
Renae Williams
This book is full of rhymes which makes it fun to read. This book would be good to use for a sight word lesson because there are a lot of sight words along with pictures. It is colorful and i would reccommend it for K-2 grades.
Raven Grider
One of Each is great for rhyming, learning friend making skills, and sharing. This book is VERY visually appealing, and it would keep children engaged during a whole group read aloud based on the pictures alone.
Kia M.
The book One of Each would be a great tool to use when you want to teach your students a lesoon on sharing. The rhyme scheme in the book is awesome.
Aspasia
Olliver Tolliver learns that having two of each (or more) means more friends can come visit him.
Mikanchin
いぬのオリバーはふるいふるいいえにたったひとりでくらしていた。

たったひとつのおきにいりにかこまれて。

りんりんはとても気に入ったみたいで2回もこの本を読んだ。

上手になったね。
Natalie
Mar 11, 2008 Natalie added it
Recommends it for: Loners
I think I would get out of breath in that Dr. Seuss way if I was to share this one.
I love this one -- not too short, lots to find in the illustrations, great rhymes.
Relyn
Feb 05, 2014 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Mary Ann Hoberman.
This is the one Mary Ann Hoberman book I don't love. It's fine.
Kristin
cute story that rhymes in which young children would enjoy.
Jamie
Oh, how I love reading rhyming books!
Anord
One of my favorite children's books.
Leah
One of Each by Mary Ann Hoberman (2000)
Yuzuki
1つという、表現がわかやすかった。
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Work with her local Connecticut chapter of the Literacy Volunteers of America inspired her to create this series of books to encourage reading. She enjoys reading with her grandchildren.
More about Mary Ann Hoberman...
The Seven Silly Eaters The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems A House Is a House for Me You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Stories to Read Together Miss Mary Mack