Start by marking “No Jumping on the Bed” as Want to Read:
No Jumping on the Bed

No Jumping on the Bed

Walter lives near the top floor of a tall apartment building, where one night his habit of jumping on his bed leads to a tumultous fall through floor after floor, collecting occupants all the way down.
Published September 30th 1987 by Dial (first published 1987)

David
No Jumping on the Bed 25th Anniversary Edition by Tedd Arnold is a new rendition of this story, with the illustrations redone in the style of the Fly Guy books.

Arnold's illustrations for this 25th anniversary edition are revised to more closely match his current illustration style as in Fly Gy books. On many pages very small examples of the original illustrations are seen in a falling original edition of this book. Personally, I really prefer his original illustrations, which to me highlight the
Kate Babbitt
This book is a great one for a wide range of ages. It is about a boy who jumps too high on his bed and falls through the floors of the apartment, bringing down all his neighbors with him. It is creative and keeps the attention of kids with every page. Each page adds an event so they are constantly building on the trail. There is a "25th Anniversary" addition of the book that was just released with even more elaborate pictures which really captures the excitement of the story. With this book, I w ...more
Nazia Ahmed
Apr 30, 2012 Nazia Ahmed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classroom
We've all been told at some point in our lives not to jump on the bed and this story, in a hilarious way, tells us why!

This book would be great to read to the children and the children will find it very funny. As a class you can have lots of fun with the story. The story delivers a message to children about the importance of listening in a fun way. Good story to use when discussing listening skills with children! Fabulous illustrations used throughout the book.

Karen Witzler
My kids loved it. I hated it.
Casandria
Fun for kids, but a parent's worst nightmare: jumping on the bed so much that it falls through the floor...
Lauren
Oct 21, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tedd Arnold's No Jumping On The Bed is back with amazing illustrations! Walter's father said "If I told you once, I told you a million times: No jumping on the bed!" But Walter again does not take his father's advice. Once the door is closed and the coast is clear, he starts on his jumping adventure. As he jumps he starts to hear creaking noises and there he goes. He goes crashing through the floor of his apartment building taking his bed with him. Floor by floor he bothers his neighbors (whose ...more
Carly
Nov 17, 2012 Carly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really fun story about a young boy named Walter whose dad tells him that he is not allowed to jump on the bed. Walter thinks this is unfair because he can hear his upstairs neighbor, Delbert, jumping on his bed. So after Walter's dad shuts off his light and says goodnight, he turns his lamp on and continues to jump on the bed. All of a sudden the floor crumbles and Walter's bed falls down through the floor below him. On each floor he falls through, he encounters a new neighbor all the ...more
Samantha Hagler
Jan 21, 2013 Samantha Hagler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: repetition
A young boy named Walter loves to jump on his bed. His father instructed him to stop jumping on the bed or one day it was going to crash right through the floor. Walter laid his head down to sleep, but then heard his friend Delbert that lived upstairs jumping on his bed. So he decided to get up and jump on his bed too. But then something bad happened, Walter and his whole bed crashed right through the floor and fell right into his neighbors dining room where she was eating dinner. Walter continu ...more
Pamela Kramer
Apr 14, 2012 Pamela Kramer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No Jumping on the Bed' by Tedd Arnold has been dusted off and redone with beautiful new illustrations.

The book was a hit when first published and it's no less enjoyable now. Kids will love the simple ideas and dialogue between Walter and some of the characters.

Parents (and teachers) love books with repetition; books that children love to listen to over and over -- perhaps helping repeat the ending line of each mini "adventure" that Walter has as he falls through the floors of his apartment build
Sandra Ayala
No Jumping on the Bed is a story about a young boy who loves to jump on the bed. His father comes in and warns him not to jump on the bed and that if he kept doing that, one day the floor would collapse and he would fall right through. The young boy however refuse to listen to his father’s warning and continues to jump on the bed, and just as his father warned him, he fell right through the floor onto his neighbor’s apartment. The book is a fun story that shows all of the things that happened as ...more
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Aaron
Author/Illustrator: Tedd Arnold
Genre: Fantasy
Interest Level: PreK-3
Grade Level Equivalent: 4.4

Walter enjoys jumping on his bed, but his father forewarned him about what would happen if he continued to do so, and that's the subject of his dream and the premise behind the book. It begins with Walter and his bed falling through the floor onto a neighbor's dining table, at which point Walter, his bed, the dining table and neighbor fall through the floor, too. The cycle continues until
Melanie
This 25th anniversary edition of Arnold's classic offers new artwork, but the same hilarity. Walter is told not to jump on his bed. His father warns him that he could break the bed, or worse. But when Walter lays his head down he hears the upstairs boy jumping on his bed. That means he can, too. Well, as you can imagine, Walter falls through his floor along with his bed and lands on a woman eating spaghetti. They both fall through the floor and land on the neighbor below. This continues until 6 ...more
Lauren
Feb 02, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book, the main character, Walter, disobeys his father. He jumps on his bed and disregards what his father told him. Throughout the book, Walter dreams of his bed falling through the ceiling onto the other floors of his apartment building. The story is humorous because he does not realize he was dreaming until the end. Finally, he decides that he will not jump on the bed anymore.

The major theme of this book is to respect authority and to obey rules that have been established. Serious con
Luann
Feb 22, 2012 Luann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, 2012
I think jumping on the bed is one of those things that all kids want to do and all parents try to stop them from doing. :) From the fertile imagination of Tedd Arnold comes the story of young Walter who lives in an apartment building and whose parents warn him not to jump on the bed because "one day it'll crash right through the floor." What results is a fun cumulative-type story with lots of details to notice from illustration to illustration. Several of Walter's toys - a stuffed dog, a robot, ...more
Cortny Green
Aug 25, 2015 Cortny Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
No Jumping on the Bed is a cute little story about a boy named Walter and what happens when he doesn't listen to his dad. Tedd Arnold won the Flicker Tale Children's Book Award in 1991 for this story.

Use the GA standard for third grade: ELAGSE3RI1 Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text,referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.

After you or the students read the story, give them a worksheet with questions on it. Questions like, why couldn't Miss Hatti
Laura Mincey
Jan 25, 2011 Laura Mincey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous
Ted Arnold's No Jumping on the Bed! is a great story because of it's humor that kids will find joy in reading. When Walter's father demands "no more jumping on the bed" Walter finds himself not obeying and jumps anyway. Throughout the story, we see Walter falls through story after story of his apartment building, interrupting family dinners, art projects, etc. Walter goes on quite an adventure with others as the fall through the apartment. However, at the end of the story, Walter suddenly finds ...more
Katee
Summary: Walter loves jumping up and down, higher and higher on his bed. But when his dad comes in he tells him "No jumping on the bed!" So Walter lays down closes his eyes, his dad shuts the lights off and almost closes the door. Next thing you know Walter is jumping higher and higher and his night time adventure begins.

Age: K-2nd grade

Use: Independent reading, read aloud.

Genre: Picture Book

Text/Images: Pictures are pretty detailed, go along with the story

Topic: Listening

Social Issues:
Connie
Jul 17, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a basic cumulative tale. Walter finally jumps so high he falls through the floor, and as he goes on more and more residents of his apartment building fall with him, down and down in a rhyming fashion.

Eventually Walter wakes up - just in time for his upstairs neighbor to fall on top of him.

The absurdly calm quips everybody makes as the whole building falls in on top of them are worth reading all by themselves.

I will note that this is a very long, pretty involved book. It might not be suit
Justine Paige
Jul 19, 2014 Justine Paige rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book for independent reading about a boy who is told not to jump on the bed. He starts to jump on the bed and the story follows him as he falls through the many floors of his apartment building. He sees many different people. At the end, we realize he was only dreaming, and then he decides it is not a good idea to jump on the bed. It's a cute book, definitely not for a read aloud. This would be a fun independent read.
Mitchell Ary
Oct 22, 2014 Mitchell Ary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-314
of course the more practical edition of why jumping on the bed is a bad idea. BECAUSE! YOUR WHOL APARTMENT COMPLEX WILL COLLAPSE!!! not a neck injury or a broken bone or any sort of boo boo. no you will plummet right into the artists studio apartment on the first floor. however i liked the illustrations and how they were organized and got their own separate page. however i did not like the book and i will never read it again.
Jessica Vu
Fun book for students. They can have a lot of fun with it...

Codebreaking - blends - review consonant belnds and have students find them in the book.

Text participation: sequencing the differnt things that happen in each step of the book. Draw a large building with multiple floors and have students write what happens when the boy falls to each floor.

Text user - Have children creat another one and change what he sees. Then have them write their own story.
Kristin Lee
This is a very funny book about a little boy who is told numerous times by his father not to jump on his bed. The little boy falls asleep and has a dream when he jumps on his bed and he continues to fall through the floors of all the neighbors in the apartments under his. The illustrations are very well done. I think this book is a good one to teach children to listen to the rules set by their parents.
Kimberly Hansen
Feb 22, 2016 Kimberly Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I felt that listening to this book as an audio book really drew out the story. The book I felt took twice as long to listen to as it would have been to read aloud. The voices for that characters where great but I felt uninterested as this book took to long for the audio to play. Good story and fun illustrations, just took to long for the audio book version.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 16196 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 4.5 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP

Walter loves to jump on the bed, until one night... This is such a fun book. It is great for seqencing, predictions and verbs. This is a wonderful read aloud book!
Gaby Roman
I really enjoyed this story. I would use in my class to help my students know why we have rules. Although this story isn't about rules it help me led into the topic of why rules are in place to keep everyone safe. I loved the illustrations in this book. They were really bright and creative. I would read this book to introduce times that we need to remember our rules.
Shelli
Feb 03, 2008 Shelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
How cool that on the 25th Anniversary Edition of this book the dust jacket has a picture of Tedd Arnold with his two boys "then" and "now." A silly fun read aloud where the story repeats and progresses a bit more each page. A great book to share with a large group of kids or to your little ones before bed. A reminder of the dangers of jumping on the bed.
Lisa
Jan 23, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I liked this book because of the illustrations in it. The young boy has a dream about what could happen if he continued jumping on the bed and all the chaos it causes the entire apartment building he lives it. You could read this book without showing pictures first so the children can develop their own mental images of what is going on in the story.
Alana Graham
I wasn't too crazy about this book. It seemed a bit redundant in the middle, but would still be silly enough for some students to like it. I felt it was a bit lacking in a message (which is ok), so I would not necessarily recommend this book unless a student mentioned jumping on his/her bed specifically.
Shelly
Jan 23, 2008 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was sent to me when I belonged to a book club. We have enjoyed it for a lot of years and it's a book that I think every kid would enjoy. If you don't want your kids jumping on the bed, this book will teach them in a fun way why that just might be a problem. If you don't care about them jumping on the bed, it's still a very funny book!
Mar 22, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
What happens if you jump on the bed too much? The bed falls through the floor, which is just what happens in this story of a boy who lives near the top of his apartment building. We follow him (and his bed) through each level, picking up new characters and their possessions along the way. The artwork sparkles. This is a good example of cumulative story structure
  • Do Not Open This Book
  • Mother, Mother, I Want Another
  • I Love You the Purplest
  • How Big Could Your Pumpkin Grow?
  • The Tub People
  • Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon
  • The Mine-O-Saur
  • Underwear!
  • A Chocolate Moose for Dinner
  • The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Shhhhh! Everybody's Sleeping
  • The Reason for a Flower
  • Silly Tilly
  • I Love Bugs!
  • The Penny Pot: Math Start - 3
  • Dinosaur Bob and His Adventures with the Family Lazardo
  • Edward and the Pirates
  • The Important Book
Tedd grew up with three brothers. His family lived on a farm in Pennsylvania for several years then returned to Elmira until Tedd was ten years old. His father's work then required that they move to Gainesville, Florida. There, Tedd's first art lessons in an abandoned dentist's office over the Happy Hour pool hall eventually led to a fine arts degree from the University of Florida.

He and his wife,
More about Tedd Arnold...