Start by marking “Ignatius MacFarland: Frequenaut!” as Want to Read:
Ignatius MacFarland: Frequenaut!

Ignatius MacFarland: Frequenaut! (Ignatius MacFarland #1)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  38 reviews
After being teased one too many times at school, Ignatius MacFarland decides to build a rocket. Maybe extraterrestrials are nicer than his classmates! But when his rocket takes an explosive wrong turn, Ignatius ends up in another frequency run by former English-teacher-turned-dictator, Chester Arthur. Mr. Arthur has taken the art, culture, and advancements of our world, sh...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published August 19th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ignatius MacFarland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ignatius MacFarland

Library Lady
Jul 22, 2008 Library Lady rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
To put it bluntly, this book read like a children's book on acid. The weird description of the "frequency" Iggy ends up in, the constant running away from danger, and the toilet humor! Ugh. I wanted to like it because the concept is so great, but I just couldn't. The book needed major editing and character development. I'm not sure kids will like it, simply because it's so weird. Yes, it does have a lot of action, but action isn't everything. You have to have a decent story with a good villain a...more
Paul
I had high hopes because it's Paul Feig, but his strengths are in teleplays and personal essays, not young adult fiction.

Ignatius Macfarland: Frequenaut is good in places, and the main character is well-written. But the overly-described action sequences really bog the story down. And the book is too long, but the ending still feels abrupt (it sets up the sequel, which I don't plan to read).
E. Anderson
Ignatius MacFarland is fed up with Earth. He doesn't fit in at school, in town, or even in his home. He really likes UFOs, mostly the idea that maybe someday aliens from another planet will come and take him away from this place where he is bullied and unappreciated. Iggy decides to build a rocket ship of his own to go find the aliens that clearly haven't come for him yet. But there is an accident during the test launch, and Iggy gets trapped in the rocket when the fuel ignites. There's a massiv...more
Nik
Dec 09, 2013 Nik rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nik by: dad
Sam
You don't even have to visit another frequency to see how amazing this book is. This is one of the best 300+-paged novels I've ever read. It has dense humor, picturesque writing abilities and perspectives, and it has lots of scenic drama that makes the book that more intensifying and exciting to read. Ignatius is one of those books that fall under the radar but actually have lots of quality and shining elements. And I'm glad I was able to walk on this moon and discover this frequency's intellige...more
LeAnn Suchy
Originally reviewed at Minnesota Reads.

I’ve been a big fan of Paul Feig’s since 1999 and I didn’t know it until the summer of 2008. If you loved the short-lived TV show “Freaks & Geeks,” since Feig created it, you’ve been a big fan, too. If you didn’t like “Freaks & Geeks” (we can’t be friends), you’ve probably seen episodes of “Arrested Development,” “The Office,” and “Weeds” that Feig has directed.

In the summer of 2008, walking through the hundreds of vendor booths at the American Libr...more
Lorie
Oct 10, 2008 Lorie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens/Tweens/Teachers/Librarians
Recommended to Lorie by: Review source
After building a home made rocket with garbage cans and gunpowder from fireworks, Iggy and his friends only succeed in sending him to another frequency not space like they hoped. He finds a world similar in topography to his town, while the creatures of this frequency are like nothing of his own. He meets another teen who has sent herself there as well and also a former teacher from their school. The teacher has created "Lesterville" making all it's inhabitants slaves to his attempt at recreatin...more
Hayden
Fans of Freaks & Geeks (like me) may be a little disappointed, because this book is nothing like that. But it is probably the kind of book Sam Weir would have liked to read when he was in the 5th grade.

Iggy has trouble with bullies, and wants to be abducted by aliens to get to a better place. He gets his wish, kind of: the rocket he makes explodes and sends him to another frequency--sort of a parallel universe to his own town--filled with bizarre creatures. It turns out a couple of people fr...more
Brendan Creecy
Fun tween book by the genius that is Paul Feig. I really enjoyed it and the illustrations inside really add to it. This would have been my favorite book if I had read it in 5th or 6th grade. Can't wait to read the next one!
Jill
I think this might be a good one for boys--what with all the weird creatures that Iggy finds in the alternate "frequency" he lands in after accidentally blowing himself up while trying to make a rocket. Which he was doing because he wanted to get away from the bullies at school, where he feels like a misfit. He's sure he belongs with the aliens. A lot of crazy stuff happens in the new frequency which is why I think it would be a good draw for reluctant boy readers.
Teen
From the writer of Freaks & Geeks--great for tween guys. Ignatius, sick of being bullied, builds a rocketship in hopes of escaping to outer space. Not being an expert rocketship builder, he instead sends himself to a different frequency in the same spot, populated by strange creatures seemingly controlled by--a teacher from Ignatius' school? A sci fi/fantasy adventure with lots of fart jokes.
Erik
This book only managed to creep up to 3 stars because the ending was substantially better than most of the book. Overall, this was NOT a good book. The idea and story line might not have been bad, but the writing was. The main character is barely sympathetic and the rest of the characters are extremely flimsy. This book is not worth the time it would take to read it.
Chelsea
A funny and very imaginative book, though the writing itself was nothing special. Ignatius Macfarland, called Iggy (and what a fabulous name), is an engaging character that middle reader boys will love, and Karen, the kick ass high schooler who enlists him in her crusade, will appeal to girls of the same age. Not one of my favorites, but kids will love it.
Lisa
I didn't completely finish this book. I read to about page 250 and then I skipped to the last chapter. I was expecting a funny, engaging read, however, what I got was a tedious story about flat characters with the occasional weak attempt at humor, filled with editorial errors. Needless to say I was disappointed.
Joyce
A funny sci-fi adventure, but I was a bit disappointed by the ending. Summary: Bullied in school and called "Piggy MacFartland," twelve-year-old Iggy longs to travel to another planet and live among extraterrestrials, until an explosion transports him to a scary alternate reality.
Christopher
I'm loving this book so far. The writing is elegant enough to charm grown-ups, yet with enough irreverence and ick-factor to draw in the young'uns. Reading this book takes me back to the days of Judy Blume, Encyclopedia Brown and "Choose Your Own Adventure". Fun, fun, fun stuff.
Deb
Another YRCA 2011 nominated book. This one by the creator of Freaks and Geeks! I have high hopes.
Okay perhaps my hopes were a little too high as this book is in thr category for 8-12 year olds. However, the voice of the narrator Iggy is well handled and believable.
Carissa
meh. the creatures in this book were too bizarre for me to keep track of and the storyline was relatively weak. i enjoyed the illustrations scattered throughout the book, but occasionally, they didn't exactly match the text (which was frustrating).
Lizzie
I got this as a galley at BEA, having no idea that I'd love the young adult science fiction genre. Turns out I do! Paul Feig's created a delightful world on an alternate frequency, one I'm eager to return to in a sequel.
Battle of the Books 2011.

I'm not sure how exactly this got on the list. If it wasn't part of our battle, I would have abandoned it. Far too much running from weird creatures described at too much length, but not well.
Paul
I'm a big fan of Paul Feig (Freaks and Geeks, Kick Me, Superstud), but this book came off as very average compared to his other work - it lacked all the humour and strong characters I'd come to expect, and seemed very formulaic.
Indoosmom
Apr 21, 2009 Indoosmom rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids and parents - great family read
Both my kids (girl 10 & son 13) just finished this book. Could be a classic like Gulliver's Travels. Fun, funny, kids kept saying one more chapter before I could turn out the lights. We are hoping for a sequel.
This was ok, and I love Feig's adult books, but I guess I'm just not the target audience for the humor in this book. Still, I can see the appeal for middle school kids who enjoy humorous books about outsiders.
Angela
Very "Yellow Submarine" and weird. Obviously intended to be the first of a series where two kids travel to different parallel worlds through being out-of-frequency. I don't plan to continue with the series.
Marlyne
the girls and I read this at night. Very silly, causes outburst of giggles which can be counteractive at bedtime. They liked it, I didn't. That's Ok, everyone is entitled to their opinions
Kimberly
A good light summer read. Great for young children who like gross humor (fart jokes, pee, etc.) and excessive sarcasm. A lighthearted young person's view of political and social freedoms.
Tess
Wow... i can't lie, this book was WEIRD! I liked it but it was strange! I like the main character, he's really cool! Plus, the girl he meets is so funny! Good book :)
Shannon
I could definitely tell this was written by the Freaks and Geeks guy, a series that I really enjoyed, but I had a really hard time getting into the story.
Megan
Aug 18, 2008 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle school boys, reluctant readers
Quick action, misfit characters, occasional illustrations, potty humor, and lots of sarcasm--middle school boys will love it!
L
Crazy story about a boy who blasts himself into a parallel dimension ruled by a demented English teacher.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Project Sweet Life
  • 100% Wolf
  • World's End (Dormia, #2)
  • The Hero Revealed (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #1)
  • 101 Ways to Bug Your Teacher
  • Nightmare at the Book Fair
  • Paint by Magic
  • The Trap
  • Long Shot (Comeback Kids)
  • The Zombie Chasers
  • Riding Invisible
  • Thrice Upon a Marigold (Upon a Marigold, #3)
  • Pickle: The (Formerly) Anonymous Prank Club of Fountain Point Middle School
  • Living Hell
  • Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before
  • Wild Wings
  • Penny Dreadful
  • Freak Magnet
Paul S. Feig (born September 17, 1962) is an American director, actor and author. Feig directed the Oscar nominated 2011 film Bridesmaids featuring Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy. Feig directed The Heat, also starring McCarthy and Sandra Bullock.

He created the critically acclaimed show Freaks and Geeks and has directed several episodes of The Office and Arrested Development; plus select episode...more
More about Paul Feig...
Kick Me: Adventures in Adolescence Superstud: Or How I Became a 24-Year-Old Virgin Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Scripts, Volume 1 Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Scripts, Volume 2 Ignatius MacFarland 2: Frequency Freak-out!