Start by marking “Gingerbread Friends” as Want to Read:
Gingerbread Friends

Gingerbread Friends

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  69 reviews
That popular little character is back looking for friends, in an adventure he?ll never forget. Confident and cocky, the Gingerbread Baby happens upon a bakery, where he dances and prances in front of a sugar cookie girl, trying to make friends. But she just stares and doesn?t say a word, like all the other sweet treats he tries to meet.

Discouraged, the Gingerbread Baby run
Published September 11th 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Gingerbread Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gingerbread Friends

Jill
This was sort of the sequel to Gingerbread Baby. I read it today just for fun.

In the book, our buddy Gingerbread Baby has no friends and tries to find some. He has a difficult time until his bff Mattie comes to the rescue and bakes him some buddies. That part was featured on a huge pop-up page that the kids LOVED!!

One thing that annoyed me about this book was that in Gingerbread Baby, the boy's name was spelled Matti. In this one, it was Mattie with an E. Hello, editor?
Rosa Cline
If you pick up any of Ms Brett's storybooks you won't be disappointed! Between her actual story , the illustrations and on each page in the corner or somewhere on each page is another 'story within the story' being told within those illustrations! Fabulous!

In this story Gingerbaby lives in a little boys room in the house by himself. He is lonely so he ventures out to find his own friends one day when the little boy has gone away. He sees a couple that looks like him but bigger in a window so he
Kacie Blakley
I would consider Gingerbread Friends to be a sequel to Jan Brett's book, Gingerbread Baby. In this adorable story, the gingerbread baby is lonely and decides to go on a hunt for some friends. All the while, Mattie is at home baking up something extra special! What does Gingerbread Baby find when he gets home? I knew what was coming, but I still didn't expect it to be quite so extravagant!
Jan Brett definitely does not disappoint with this book. Her paintings are exquisite and impress me every tim
Meg McGregor
A wonderful story by the incomparable Jan Brett!

This time, the Gingerbread Baby is looking for friends since he is lonely.

He meets various unusual characters along the way.

.... a cookie couple on top of a chocolate tiered cake....

.... a sugar cookie girl....

.... seven white swans swimming on a sugar frosting sea....

.... a man and a woman dancing on top of a wedding cake....

All of these are so deliciously drawn, I get hungry, every time I read this book!

I love how the Mattie makes the Gingerbread
Laurie
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I'm giving this 3 stars for the story, which was ok, but I'd like to give it 5 stars for the illustrations, which were, as always, GORGEOUS! Gingerbread Baby is lonely when his boy goes off to play with his friends, so he sets out in search of friends of his own at the village bakery. I was fascinated with the details of the drawings of cakes and breads and candies and all their intricate icings. Made me hungry!! I liked the addition of the cat who is in the background watching Gingerbread Baby' ...more
Sharon
This is an endearing sequel to Gingerbread Baby. The text teaches children the importance of perseverance. It also models the value of friendships. Jan Brett has done it again; the illustrations are, as always, gorgeous.
Sandybear76
Loved this book. I read it to several classes and they still want to read again and again on their own. The Gingerbread Baby is back in this second about him. He is lonely as the boy is busy doing something in the kitchen. So, Gingerbread Baby decides to explore the town, looking for someone to play with. The Gingerbread Baby leads a chase through the village and makes it back home after his adventures. At home, there is a big surprise waiting for him.

I love Jan Brett's books. The illustrations
Mandy J. Hoffman
Jan Brett does not disappoint. This is a charming little story with illustrations that will real you into the story and having you pouring over this book.

The Gingerbread Baby wants some friends and starts his search in the bakery. Despite his cute sing-song rhyme no one can be his friend. But when the adventure heightens and he finally gets home he finds something sweet just for him!

This book if finished by an fold out poster of the last seen that is colorful and bright as every other page. And
Vicki
A sweet book about a gingerbread "baby" looking for friends. A twist on the old Gingerbread tale with a surprise pop-up at the end of the book. What child doesn't want to have a friend or ride a chicken?? Awesome illustrations by Jan Brett. Used this at a Christmas PreSchool storytime. This book was prefaced by showing the children a gingerbread man cookie cutter and playdough to resemble the idea of cookies made from cookie cutters. Afterwards I found some gingerbread cookie mix (3 bags) and pl ...more
Samantha
Gingerbread Baby goes looking for some friends, gets caught up in some mischief and trouble and returns home to find all the friends he could ask for.

Watercolor and gouache artwork with a recipe worked into the page borders.

Overall, I liked the artwork and formatting far more than I liked the story. PreK-2.
Ashleyd
This is one of my student's favorite books to read around the holidays.

I love Jan Brett
Linda Lipko
This is a lovely book to read during the holiday season. The Gingerbread boy grows weary of his secure life. Leaving home in pursuit of friendship, the gingerbread boy discovers danger and peril. Chased by a fox, a dog and a host of other non friendly creatures, Gingerbread boy learns the lesson that the snow isn't always whiter on the other side.
Stephanie
This book is so sweet. The Gingerbread Baby wants a friend to play with when the little boy is away. The main part of the story tells his journey to find a friend. The sides of each page tell a different story. The sides have pictures and instructions on how to make gingerbread people. It shows the little boy making a lot of gingerbread friends for the Gingerbread Baby and hiding them in the gingerbread house. This book is great to use in a lesson about predicting. The students can predict what ...more
Rida
So very cute and totally for the little ones.
Laura Tabrizipour
It is hard to find books to read to children in december because you have to be careful they dont include certain religious issues. I think this is a good book because it gets children in the holiday mood with a gingerbread man who is looking for friends. I think children would love this book and a good activity for them to do with it could be to make their own gingerbread man and let him make friends with the other childrens. This gives the children a chance to work together and lets them under ...more
Mary
The Gingerbread Baby misses Mattie when the boy goes out to play with friends, so he decides to sneak into the village and finds friends of his own. He tries all the baked people (and swans) in the bakery, but none will speak to him, let alone be his friend. Baby is feeling lonelier than ever when he returns home. But Mattie has a surprise for him, and if you pay close attention to the small illustrations on each page (a Jan Brett signature) you can figure out what it will be.
My son picked this one out at the book fair (he's 5). He can almost read it by himself, but we like to read it together. I think the main draw is the illustrations, which are really great. Also, there is a separate arc if you read the side panels in the book as you go along, that provides the little boy's gingerbread recipe and shows him making the gingerbread friends. That is maybe the best part, and exciting for my son because he also likes to bake.
Sylvia
I love Jan Brett's books and often used them in my classes. This one I used during the celebration of Xmas at school. My schoolkids got a gingerbread baby on cardboard and could decorate it with beads and colored tape. When finished they could use it to hang it on the Christmas trea.
I also read the book and the kids to use the color plates.
Absolute a lovely book, also for adult, if you like Jan Brett's illustrations.
Shelley larson
Gingerbread Friends is the story of the Gingerbread Baby and his search for friends. He lives in Mattie's room, but Mattie doesn't always want to play with him, so the Gingerbread Baby decides to go into town to find his own playmates. The only problem is, no one wants to play with him. The only thing I liked about this book was the recipe for gingerbread.
Genre: picture book
Copyright: 2008
Mikaela
Although some of Jan Brett's books seem a bit too much for kids, this one was really fun and enjoyable. The illustrations are classic Jan Brett (one story on the inside while another illustrated on the outside). My kids like things a bit silly and having a Gingerbread Baby try to make friends with non-talking edibles was right up their alley.
Christine
Jan Brett is always a good choice. I read this to the students the week before Christmas. I love her illustrations, especially the story happening in the sidebar. The kids love to predict what is going to happen. The foldout page at the end was a huge hit, with everyone ooohing and ahhhing at Mattie's gingerbread creations.
MissInformation
A pleasant romp. Not as tight as Gingerbread Baby, but the same characters return. Gingerbread baby is lonely, and goes in search of cookie friends at a bakery. Mattie again saves the day.
Brett's illustrations have a nice parallel story running in the borders. Her forte is really the art- not the writing....
Audrey Galiardi
Again, I love Jan Brett books, but this one is a fun one for our gingerbread unit in December. I love that the last page folds out and is full of so much illustration! I love using this to have the kids draw a picture of a friend for the poor little gingerbread baby who so desperately needs friends.
Katrina Sutton
In my family, we all loved The Gingerbread Baby. So I was surprised to have found Gingerbread Friends at the library. I didn't know that there was a second book. I had to check it out. I read it to my youngest and he loved that the Gingerbread Baby ended up with a whole bunch of friends at the end. :)
Belise Michel
I use this book to talk about friendship. I ask the children the following questions;
• How does it feel to do things by yourself with now one around?
• How does it feel to do things when you have your friends around you?
• What did Mattie do that was so special for the gingerbread bay?
Jackie
Oct 08, 2008 Jackie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks looking for holiday kids books
Shelves: children-s-lit
Jan Brett's illustrations are what make this book. Add a pop up surprise ending and the recipe for gingerbread running through the margins and you've got a holiday winner for the 6 and under crowd. (Or folks like me who just love gingerbread stuff no matter what season it is!)
Cindi
Jan Brett is a pleasure to read. The sweet Gingerbread baby goes out in search of a friend while in the background Mattie makes friends for him. When he returns disappointed from his search, there, in an amazing fold out, in his little house are his new friends!
Beth
Gingerbread is happy but becomes lonely when Mattie leaves. Gingerbread goes to town to try and make new friends. Sugar cookie doesn't talk and the wedding cake only gets messed up. There is a great pop out page at the end filled with new gingerbread friends.
  • The Gingerbread Girl
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves!
  • The Gingerbread Boy
  • Humphrey's First Christmas
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • The Gingerbread Pirates
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • Scary, Scary Halloween
  • Christmas in the Barn
  • Just Say Boo!
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I reme
More about Jan Brett...
The Mitten The Hat Gingerbread Baby The Wild Christmas Reindeer Town Mouse, Country Mouse