Start by marking “Gingerbread Friends” as Want to Read:
Gingerbread Friends

Gingerbread Friends (Jan Brett's Gingerbread)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  819 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
That popular little character is back looking for friends, in an adventure he'll never forget.Confident and cocky, the Gingerbread Baby happens upon a bakery, where he dances and prances in front of a sugar cookie girl, trying to make friends. But she just stares and doesn?t say a word, like all the other sweet treats he tries to meet.

Discouraged, the Gingerbread Baby runs
Published September 11th 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Gingerbread Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gingerbread Friends

Jill
Dec 16, 2011 Jill rated it liked it
This was sort of the sequel to Gingerbread Baby. I read it today just for fun.

In the book, our buddy Gingerbread Baby has no friends and tries to find some. He has a difficult time until his bff Mattie comes to the rescue and bakes him some buddies. That part was featured on a huge pop-up page that the kids LOVED!!

One thing that annoyed me about this book was that in Gingerbread Baby, the boy's name was spelled Matti. In this one, it was Mattie with an E. Hello, editor?
Jeannie
Oct 26, 2016 Jeannie rated it it was amazing
How could anyone not love Jan Brett? "Sweet"story with her delightful illustrations on the sides....which include a recipe for gingerbread. Lovely!
Catherine
Jan 06, 2017 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: noah-s-shelf
Jan Brett weaves elements of classic tales and a delicious recipe for Gingerbread into this tale of the Gingerbread Baby and his quest to find friends. Suitable for ages 3 and up.
Anna
Blergh.
Charissa Avila
Feb 10, 2017 Charissa Avila rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book, and trust me, I know, one can read with their 4-year old every night.
Laurie
Nov 18, 2012 Laurie rated it really liked it
Rosa Cline
Oct 29, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas
If you pick up any of Ms Brett's storybooks you won't be disappointed! Between her actual story , the illustrations and on each page in the corner or somewhere on each page is another 'story within the story' being told within those illustrations! Fabulous!

In this story Gingerbaby lives in a little boys room in the house by himself. He is lonely so he ventures out to find his own friends one day when the little boy has gone away. He sees a couple that looks like him but bigger in a window so he
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I'm giving this 3 stars for the story, which was ok, but I'd like to give it 5 stars for the illustrations, which were, as always, GORGEOUS! Gingerbread Baby is lonely when his boy goes off to play with his friends, so he sets out in search of friends of his own at the village bakery. I was fascinated with the details of the drawings of cakes and breads and candies and all their intricate icings. Made me hungry!! I liked the addition of the cat who is in the background watching Gingerbread Baby' ...more
Hallie Adkins
Dec 09, 2015 Hallie Adkins rated it really liked it
This story basically continues from the story “Gingerbread Baby”. It begins with the gingerbread baby happy as could be in his gingerbread house (inside Matti’s house). After a little while, gingerbread baby becomes lonely. Matti leaves to ski with his friends. Gingerbread baby runs off into town, trying to find a friend. Everyone he tries to meet is a statue or an animal trying to eat him. In the end, gingerbread baby realizes the best place for him is home, and he runs back to his gingerbread ...more
Sandybear76
Loved this book. I read it to several classes and they still want to read again and again on their own. The Gingerbread Baby is back in this second about him. He is lonely as the boy is busy doing something in the kitchen. So, Gingerbread Baby decides to explore the town, looking for someone to play with. The Gingerbread Baby leads a chase through the village and makes it back home after his adventures. At home, there is a big surprise waiting for him.

I love Jan Brett's books. The illustrations
Kacie Blakley
Nov 22, 2014 Kacie Blakley rated it it was amazing
I would consider Gingerbread Friends to be a sequel to Jan Brett's book, Gingerbread Baby. In this adorable story, the gingerbread baby is lonely and decides to go on a hunt for some friends. All the while, Mattie is at home baking up something extra special! What does Gingerbread Baby find when he gets home? I knew what was coming, but I still didn't expect it to be quite so extravagant!
Jan Brett definitely does not disappoint with this book. Her paintings are exquisite and impress me every tim
Mandy J. Hoffman
Dec 15, 2009 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Jan Brett does not disappoint. This is a charming little story with illustrations that will real you into the story and having you pouring over this book.

The Gingerbread Baby wants some friends and starts his search in the bakery. Despite his cute sing-song rhyme no one can be his friend. But when the adventure heightens and he finally gets home he finds something sweet just for him!

This book if finished by an fold out poster of the last seen that is colorful and bright as every other page. And
Meg McGregor
Jan 29, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday-reads
A wonderful story by the incomparable Jan Brett!

This time, the Gingerbread Baby is looking for friends since he is lonely.

He meets various unusual characters along the way.

.... a cookie couple on top of a chocolate tiered cake....

.... a sugar cookie girl....

.... seven white swans swimming on a sugar frosting sea....

.... a man and a woman dancing on top of a wedding cake....

All of these are so deliciously drawn, I get hungry, every time I read this book!

I love how the Mattie makes the Gingerbread
Nadine
Dec 05, 2015 Nadine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Vicki
Dec 03, 2013 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, pre-school
A sweet book about a gingerbread "baby" looking for friends. A twist on the old Gingerbread tale with a surprise pop-up at the end of the book. What child doesn't want to have a friend or ride a chicken?? Awesome illustrations by Jan Brett. Used this at a Christmas PreSchool storytime. This book was prefaced by showing the children a gingerbread man cookie cutter and playdough to resemble the idea of cookies made from cookie cutters. Afterwards I found some gingerbread cookie mix (3 bags) and pl ...more
Brittany Cullen
The gingerbread baby lived with a boy in his room but the boy began going out with friends more and more and the gingerbread baby began to feel sad and took off to find some new friends. He tried many different shops and gingerbread people but none of them answered him. at the end of the day when gingerbread baby returns home he is surprised by all the gingerbread people he had seen that day and how happy he was. It is a good book about making friends and how they will always be there for you an ...more
Stephanie
Nov 27, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book is so sweet. The Gingerbread Baby wants a friend to play with when the little boy is away. The main part of the story tells his journey to find a friend. The sides of each page tell a different story. The sides have pictures and instructions on how to make gingerbread people. It shows the little boy making a lot of gingerbread friends for the Gingerbread Baby and hiding them in the gingerbread house. This book is great to use in a lesson about predicting. The students can predict what ...more
Laura Tabrizipour
It is hard to find books to read to children in december because you have to be careful they dont include certain religious issues. I think this is a good book because it gets children in the holiday mood with a gingerbread man who is looking for friends. I think children would love this book and a good activity for them to do with it could be to make their own gingerbread man and let him make friends with the other childrens. This gives the children a chance to work together and lets them under ...more
Stacy
Jan 28, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, christmas
Amy Lafleur
Fun little story about a gingerbread baby who gets lonely and sets out to look for friends in a cute little winter town. There is so much to look at in the detailed and charming illustrations full of desserts and gingerbread people. A chase ensues, resulting in a surprise ending. (view spoiler)
Mary
Dec 03, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
The Gingerbread Baby misses Mattie when the boy goes out to play with friends, so he decides to sneak into the village and finds friends of his own. He tries all the baked people (and swans) in the bakery, but none will speak to him, let alone be his friend. Baby is feeling lonelier than ever when he returns home. But Mattie has a surprise for him, and if you pay close attention to the small illustrations on each page (a Jan Brett signature) you can figure out what it will be.
Mar 08, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
My son picked this one out at the book fair (he's 5). He can almost read it by himself, but we like to read it together. I think the main draw is the illustrations, which are really great. Also, there is a separate arc if you read the side panels in the book as you go along, that provides the little boy's gingerbread recipe and shows him making the gingerbread friends. That is maybe the best part, and exciting for my son because he also likes to bake.
Sylvia
Feb 02, 2012 Sylvia rated it it was amazing
I love Jan Brett's books and often used them in my classes. This one I used during the celebration of Xmas at school. My schoolkids got a gingerbread baby on cardboard and could decorate it with beads and colored tape. When finished they could use it to hang it on the Christmas trea.
I also read the book and the kids to use the color plates.
Absolute a lovely book, also for adult, if you like Jan Brett's illustrations.
Jill Wolf
Mar 18, 2016 Jill Wolf rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Picture Book #7
This book is about a Gingerbread Baby who is sad because he lives in Mattie's room, but he never has time to play with the Gingerbread Baby. The Gingerbread Baby decides to sneak into town to find his own friends. He visits many places, but he has no luck. He encounters a mouse and gets scared and runs home. A fox ends up chasing him, but when he goes up his ladder, he realizes that there a bunch of other gingerbread men, women, and babies waiting to be his friends.
Linda Lipko
This is a lovely book to read during the holiday season. The Gingerbread boy grows weary of his secure life. Leaving home in pursuit of friendship, the gingerbread boy discovers danger and peril. Chased by a fox, a dog and a host of other non friendly creatures, Gingerbread boy learns the lesson that the snow isn't always whiter on the other side.
Mikaela
Feb 19, 2009 Mikaela rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, recommend
Although some of Jan Brett's books seem a bit too much for kids, this one was really fun and enjoyable. The illustrations are classic Jan Brett (one story on the inside while another illustrated on the outside). My kids like things a bit silly and having a Gingerbread Baby try to make friends with non-talking edibles was right up their alley.
Audrey Galiardi
Jan 22, 2013 Audrey Galiardi rated it really liked it
Again, I love Jan Brett books, but this one is a fun one for our gingerbread unit in December. I love that the last page folds out and is full of so much illustration! I love using this to have the kids draw a picture of a friend for the poor little gingerbread baby who so desperately needs friends.
MissInformation
Nov 22, 2008 MissInformation rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, holiday
A pleasant romp. Not as tight as Gingerbread Baby, but the same characters return. Gingerbread baby is lonely, and goes in search of cookie friends at a bakery. Mattie again saves the day.
Brett's illustrations have a nice parallel story running in the borders. Her forte is really the art- not the writing....
Shelley larson
Oct 25, 2009 Shelley larson rated it did not like it
Gingerbread Friends is the story of the Gingerbread Baby and his search for friends. He lives in Mattie's room, but Mattie doesn't always want to play with him, so the Gingerbread Baby decides to go into town to find his own playmates. The only problem is, no one wants to play with him. The only thing I liked about this book was the recipe for gingerbread.
Genre: picture book