Start by marking “Escape From New York A Novel” as Want to Read:
Escape From New York A Novel

Escape From New York A Novel

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Call Him Snake. 1997. New York City is a maximum security prison. A master criminal's mission: to rescue the captive U.S. President
Mass Market Paperback, United Kingdom Edition
Published (first published 1981)

Joe Thornton
As a serious fan of this film.
I found that this book differs from the film in many ways ( As novel tie in's do ) This is one of my favorite books That I also use as a reference to many people that post on the site www.snakeplissken.net
And www.theefnylapage.com and thenamesplissken.webs.com

I'm the moderator of snake plissken . net (As mentioned above )
And I do get asked alot of question's and at times, I do have to "Refresh" Myself with the novel and the film. As to answer the question's in the
Brad
I read this before the movie actually came out in the theaters. I was really psyched for it and couldn't wait. It's still one of my favorite films and the only thing that would make it better is if they filmed what was in this book.

It's got a sorts of little things that make the film more logical, but were too out there for its time. Example: Snake takes an interesting pharmacological mix in order to help get the job done in the required time. Considering that Snake is ex-Army and we know the m
Jim
I think is a novelization of the screenplay. It's a little darker than the movie, at least the televised version. There are a few differences, but overall it's the same & one of my favorite flicks. (view spoiler)

As a book, it's a quick, fun read - if you like action &
Raegan Butcher
"I've heard of you...I heard you were dead."
Jason
I finally found a copy of this book after searching forever. I don't generally read movie novelizations but I kept hearing good things about this one.

It actually turns out to be a lot of fun. I don't need to go into the plot so much because I am sure most people have seen the movie. What the novel does primarily is flesh out the character of Hauk (the warden, played by Lee Van Cleef in the movie) and his relationship to Snake. It turns out they both fought in Leningrad during World War III and s
Victor Orozco
Nice adaptation. The writer truly developed the story better than the movie. Basically working the whole ideal why the United States is one giant police state.

A dystopian future where WWIII happens, though its odd that we'd be fighting China given our trade treaties as well as their bad relations with Russia. Instead of nuclear war its wide-scale chemical war, with the chemical agents effecting almost everyone on Earth in a insanity Pandemic that turns cities into prisons.

I have to admit this w
Snake
I got this book from Forbidden Planet in New York City. And now, the book is lost again.
Max Brallier
a movie adaptation that's better than the movie - and i love the movie
Stefan
The book is pretty much on par with the movie. There are some things the movie does better and there are some things the book does better.

The world where the story takes place and Snake`s background is much better explained in the book although just hearing all the characters in the movie say "So you are snake? I heard you where dead." without any additional info does have its charm. Cabbies death in the novel has much more impact in the book as well.

Certain characters in the movie on the other
Mark
I never use to have any interest in novelizations; what's the point of reading something based on a movie you've already seen (It's a different story when the book came first)?

But upon realizing that very few stories out there suit my tastes, I've revised my attitude towards novelizations and will be reading a few in the future.
This one is my first.

Escape from New York is one of my absolute favorite movies and I was curious how such a B movie story would read as a novel.
Just like the movie, thi
Dave The
A solid clever setting and storyline with a definite "Character" as the lead. This anti-hero style book is a nice read, firmly along the lines of its movie based screenplay. I must say that John Carpenter's movie brought this story to life better than the book portrays.
Kevinjwoods
Interestingly the majority of the novelisation takes place prior to the film and deals with the capture of Snake, the background to the prison etc, with the actual film almost an "oh this also happened"
Tony
there was a small bookstore right by my house when I was a kid, I thought I read this when I was younger, but I must have been 14 if the publishing date is right. This book probably cost me 95 cents.
Eric Lahti
The book adds a bit the characters and provides some back story. It's a fun read if you liked the movie
Doctor Edward Diesel
This was excellent!Mike McQuay was the perfect man for the job here. Bravo.
Benny Wolford
Benny Wolford marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Novelizedea
Novelizedea marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Steve Sandoval
Steve Sandoval marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Marc
Marc added it
Jul 18, 2015
Rhoobarb
Rhoobarb marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Brad Stone
Brad Stone marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Ebby
Ebby marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Michael Dennis McQuay was an American science fiction writer. He wrote for several different series. His work in that field includes Mathew Swain, Ramon and Morgan, The Executioner, and SuperBolan. The Book of Justice series he wrote as Jack Arnett. He also wrote the second of the Isaac Asimov's Robot City novels. His non-series novel Memories was nominated for a Philip K. Dick Award for 1987.
More about Mike McQuay...
Suspicion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #2) MEMORIES Death Has a Name (Mack Bolan the Executioner, #96) Code of Dishonor (The Executioner, #99) The Nexus