Start by marking “The Stars for a Light (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Stars for a Light

Lynn Morris

The Stars for a Light (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,632 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Popular inspirational novelists Lynn Morris and Gilbert Morris pen absorbing plots rich with adventure and historical detail. In this exciting tale, they portray one womans search for independence and self-expression amid the rigid social expectations of 1865 New York City. Twenty-four-year-old Cheney Duvall believes she will be taken seriously once she finishes medical sc...more
Audio Cassette, 8 tapes, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1999 by Recorded Books (first published May 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Stars for a Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stars for a Light

Leah
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters, the plot etc. I really loved how descriptive the author is and I found myself transported to the time and places Cheney visited. I didn't even realize it was a Christian book either - for most of the way through it I was thinking how nice it was that the main characters didn't fall into bed with one another and having to endure the passionate scenes. Instead we see relationship being developed - not just Cheney and Shiloh but other couples too....more
Gardavson
Let me lump all of the Cheney Duvall books in this review. Some might be a bit better than others but not by anything significant to matter. As a whole, it is a good series. Entertaining, with good plots, well developed characters, and a positive message. The books won't win literary awards, but they're a good read nonetheless.
Brenna H.

So, the Cheney Duvall, M.D. series was, unequivocally, my favorite series when I was a teenager. I think I was thirteen or thereabouts when I first discovered it, and I voraciously ate up the available books, eager to see what trouble Cheney would find herself in next, curious about Shiloh's past, and anticipating the moment she and Shiloh would finally get together. (They only stretched out the romantic tension for eight books...heh...) The series is largely responsible for my long-ter...more
Cafelilybookreviews
First book in the Cheney Duvall, M.D. series by the father/daughter team of Gilbert and Lynn Morris, The Stars For A Light reminded me a lot of the Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman television program.

Cheney Duvall is a bright, spirited young woman who struggles with being accepted as a doctor in the 1800’s. Very few take her seriously and she has to work harder to prove that she’s qualified to have the title of M.D. Unable to easily find a position after graduating medical school, Cheney takes the fir...more
Lynn's
I was first introduced to the Cheney Duvall M.D. Series with A City Not Forsaken, book three. I read that one last year and have to say that Stars For A Light went far beyond my expectation!!!!!!

Cheney Duvall is a young female trying to break into a mans career - medicine. Fresh from medical school, Doctor Duvall is discouraged because she can't find a position in her hometown, until she signs on to accompany over 100 ladies as their physician on a voyage to Seattle, Washington. Along the way s...more
Dawn Michelle
Christy
This was a good read in a lot of different ways; It wasn't dripping with romance or what does she think or what does he think drama. That was refreshing. Mercer's Belles what a grand idea for a story and also getting to know them in this voyage. Shiloh was the most fun and interesting to read about and unfortunately I didn't really feel the same way about Cheney. Cheney for me was quite unlikable had she had Lydia's character and warmth I would have enjoyed her more. I have book two in this seri...more
Ratforce
For inspirational historical fiction similar to Tamera Alexander, try the Cheney Duvall, M.D. series by Lynn Morris. The first book in the series, The Stars for a Light, follows the adventures of Cheney as she faces prejudice against women doctors and the dangers of a sea voyage while chaperoning and caring for the medical needs of a group of prospective brides being sent to the Washington Frontier.

For a wonderful start to a western inspirational series, try The Stars for a Light , which follow...more
Patricia
This book was a disappointment. Either I could not figure out what this story was trying to be or the story itself did not know what it wanted to be. This book was not really romantic. The main character was not really likable. The characters seemed to be very fluid and do things inconsistent with their initial descriptions. This book was not very "inspirational" but seemed heavy-handed at times. What Cheney was doing lecturing about "inspirational" subjects toward the end of the book was anyone...more
Wendy Holloway
This is the first book in my favorite Christian historical fiction series. Throughout the set, the characters travel to many locations and meet a lot of historical figures. So not only is the plot captivating, but the reader soaks up quite a bit of geography and history. The icing on the cake is that the characters grow in their faith and inspire the reader to do the same. I have read the entire collection three times so far, and have enjoyed it each time. As soon as my friend returns them, I'll...more
Maeve
A great read... although, I would have liked to seen a deeper character development within the Mercers Belles. Also, a better description of the settings (ie more details about the ships, ports) to set the stage. It will be interesting to see where this series continues.
Meghan
This is the only Inspirational fiction series which I've read and really enjoy. The books take place just after the Civil War and center around Cheney Duvall, a woman from a wealthy family who has become a doctor. The historical details in the series are great, as a historical fiction junkie, I appreciate the rich period details. Though the main plot of the series is the romance between Cheney and her (super hot) assistant Shiloh, the books also contain a lot of adventure elements. Being a Chris...more
Katie
I picked this book up because it features a woman doctor shortly after the Civil War, and Elizabeth Blackwell (the first woman doctor) has been one of my personal heroes since I was a little girl. However, I found Cheney Duvall insipid as opposed to inspiring. She came across as an inept doctor rather than a pioneer for women in the field of medicine. The writing style, word choice, and phrasing were painful to me. I normally try to finish books, but my time is so limited these days that I just...more
Chelsea
I loved this book. The nurse brought constant comedy, there was more adventure than romance, and there were some mysteries! The part I didn't like was what some of the men did even though they were suppose to be strong Christians.
Aspen
This book was really good! I enjoyed the whole series! The only thing I would say is that the first book of the Cheney series is nothing like the others.
Gwen
Nov 04, 2012 Gwen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gwen by: my grandmother
Shelves: fiction
Denise
I love all of Gilbert Morris and Lynn Morris's books. They draw you in to them so easy it makes you feel that you are a part of the story. That you are there where they are. I especially love the historical aspect. They have to put in a great deal of time and research to know so much about history.
Anna Murdock
this book just never really grabbed my attention. It get a little better at the end, but was just kind of slow.
Wendy Mills
I absolutely love the Cheyney Duvall MD series. It is one of my favorite historical fiction series.
Melissa
First in Cheney Duvall series about a female doctor in the 1860s. Great story about faith.
Melissa Boggs
Absolutely loved this book series! Very well written
Mindy Killgrove
I love Cheney Duvall, M.D. Shiloh's not so bad, either. :)
Mary Ann
Mother really enjoys this author, and it was just the book I needed for a change of what I've been reading. History is made in multiple ways, and viewed from many viewpoints. Being a doctor must be difficult in the best of times, let alone being a female doctor at the close of the Civil War. It will be interesting to see how this series evolves. It was an ideal opportunity to focus my mind on those things that strive to put God at the center of living!
Kerry
If you enjoy the Lynn Austen type of books, I think you'll enjoy this one too. I wouldn't say it's as good as the Lynn Austen books I've listened to - but it's close. I really thought this was going to be more about the struggle of her becoming a female doctor, but really it was mainly about her first job as a doctor and not so much the struggle to become one and adjusting to being one. But, I enjoyed the story. A good clean one for a change :) haha!
Diana
This is the first in a series of Christian fiction books. The protaganist is Cheney Duvall, a young woman who has recently graduated from medical school. The time period is just after the Civil War when medicine was considered a man's realm. After much searching, she finds a position as a physician/chaperone on a ship transporting one hundred women from New York to Seattle via Havana and across the isthmus of Panama.
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
well-written religious fiction, nominally a romance, but with a lot more meat than most of the genre. i find the concept of mercer's brides pretty fascinating, and this was an interesting window into that time period. i liked the main characters, which is a nice change from many stupid inspirational pop-fiction books. highly recommend for a clean historical romance.
Elyssa
This is the 2nd time I'm going through the series (it's been several years) and I'm loving it just as much as I did the first time! Maybe even more cause I know how it ends :))
Phair
I don't read a lot of 'Christian Fiction' unless the plot interests me and this one did as it dealt with a woman trying to become doctor in 1860s (yaaay Dr Quinn), the bride ships (yaaay Here Come the Brides) and also featured an intriguing war veteran character in Shiloh. I found this novel delightful and the preachiness was kept to a minimum.
Elissa
A nice light Christian romance but with compelling characters. I actually loved some of the side stories more than those of the main character. Apparently this is the first book of a never-ending series. I liked the first enough to want to read a couple more but wasn't enthralled to the point of commiting to read every sequel.
Maria M. Elmvang
I really enjoyed this book. It's the story of a female doctor who travels west together with a group of women who are hoping to find husbands + jobs as teachers there. A very sweet book, and quite interesting when one - as me - used to be a huge fan of "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" ;-)
  • Kingscote (Heart of India #3)
  • The Honorable Imposter: 1620 (The House of Winslow)
  • Distant Dreams (Ribbons of Steel, #1)
  • Puritans (American Family Portrait #1)

Lynn Morris (born 1954) is a Christian fiction author. She is the daughter of Gilbert Morris and has co-written with him on most of her books.

Series:
* Cheney Duvall, M.D. (with Gilbert Morris)
* Cheney and Shiloh: The Inheritance (with Gilbert Morris)
* The Creole (with Gilbert Morris)
* Omega (with Gilbert Morri...more
More about Lynn Morris...
A City Not Forsaken (Cheney Duvall, M.D. Series #3) Shadow of the Mountains (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #2) Island of the Innocent (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #7) Secret Place of Thunder: (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #5) Toward the Sunrising (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #4)