Start by marking “The Stars for a Light (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Stars for a Light

Lynn Morris

The Stars for a Light (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #1)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,973 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Popular inspirational novelists Lynn Morris and Gilbert Morris pen absorbing plots rich with adventure and historical detail. In this exciting tale, they portray one womans search for independence and self-expression amid the rigid social expectations of 1865 New York City. Twenty-four-year-old Cheney Duvall believes she will be taken seriously once she finishes medical sc ...more
Audio Cassette, 8 tapes, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1999 by Recorded Books (first published May 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Stars for a Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stars for a Light

Leah
Mar 23, 2014 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters, the plot etc. I really loved how descriptive the author is and I found myself transported to the time and places Cheney visited. I didn't even realize it was a Christian book either - for most of the way through it I was thinking how nice it was that the main characters didn't fall into bed with one another and having to endure the passionate scenes. Instead we see relationship being developed - not just Cheney and Shiloh but other couples too. ...more
Patricia
Jun 30, 2013 Patricia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a disappointment. Either I could not figure out what this story was trying to be or the story itself did not know what it wanted to be. This book was not really romantic. The main character was not really likable. The characters seemed to be very fluid and do things inconsistent with their initial descriptions. This book was not very "inspirational" but seemed heavy-handed at times. What Cheney was doing lecturing about "inspirational" subjects toward the end of the book was anyone ...more
Gardavson
Feb 10, 2009 Gardavson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me lump all of the Cheney Duvall books in this review. Some might be a bit better than others but not by anything significant to matter. As a whole, it is a good series. Entertaining, with good plots, well developed characters, and a positive message. The books won't win literary awards, but they're a good read nonetheless.
Elyssa
Jan 08, 2014 Elyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd time I'm going through the series (it's been several years) and I'm loving it just as much as I did the first time! Maybe even more cause I know how it ends :))
Brenna H.

So, the Cheney Duvall, M.D. series was, unequivocally, my favorite series when I was a teenager. I think I was thirteen or thereabouts when I first discovered it, and I voraciously ate up the available books, eager to see what trouble Cheney would find herself in next, curious about Shiloh's past, and anticipating the moment she and Shiloh would finally get together. (They only stretched out the romantic tension for eight books...heh...) The series is largely responsible for my long-ter
Cafelilybookreviews
First book in the Cheney Duvall, M.D. series by the father/daughter team of Gilbert and Lynn Morris, The Stars For A Light reminded me a lot of the Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman television program.

Cheney Duvall is a bright, spirited young woman who struggles with being accepted as a doctor in the 1800’s. Very few take her seriously and she has to work harder to prove that she’s qualified to have the title of M.D. Unable to easily find a position after graduating medical school, Cheney takes the fir
Lynn's
Sep 03, 2013 Lynn's rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was first introduced to the Cheney Duvall M.D. Series with A City Not Forsaken, book three. I read that one last year and have to say that Stars For A Light went far beyond my expectation!!!!!!

Cheney Duvall is a young female trying to break into a mans career - medicine. Fresh from medical school, Doctor Duvall is discouraged because she can't find a position in her hometown, until she signs on to accompany over 100 ladies as their physician on a voyage to Seattle, Washington. Along the way s
Dawn Michelle
Feb 18, 2008 Dawn Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melissa
Aug 25, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so I read #3 without realizing right away that it was a series and when I found out that it was part of a series I was went and got #1 but figured I'd not like it and prepared myself for not even finishing it(which I hardly ever do) but I surprised myself and I enjoyed this book immensely!!! I really like Shiloh, he has an air about him.. that's all I'll say! ;) he's really sweet! but now I have # 2,4,5 also! so looking forward to reading them all!!!
U.C.
Jan 22, 2016 U.C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cheney-duvall-md
#mystery #historicalfiction #christianfiction #19thcentury #adventure #cheneyduvallmdseries #romance #postcivilwarera #lynnmorris #forgiveness #faith #1860s #familyrelationships #family #greed #orphans #familysearch #prejudice #racism #spirituality #newyork1860s #murder #disinfection #pugilism #seattlewashington1860s #washingtonsettlement #themercergirls #asamercer #steamerships #nitroglycerin #mailorderbrides #panama
Christy
Oct 18, 2014 Christy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This was a good read in a lot of different ways; It wasn't dripping with romance or what does she think or what does he think drama. That was refreshing. Mercer's Belles what a grand idea for a story and also getting to know them in this voyage. Shiloh was the most fun and interesting to read about and unfortunately I didn't really feel the same way about Cheney. Cheney for me was quite unlikable had she had Lydia's character and warmth I would have enjoyed her more. I have book two in this seri ...more
Ratforce
For inspirational historical fiction similar to Tamera Alexander, try the Cheney Duvall, M.D. series by Lynn Morris. The first book in the series, The Stars for a Light, follows the adventures of Cheney as she faces prejudice against women doctors and the dangers of a sea voyage while chaperoning and caring for the medical needs of a group of prospective brides being sent to the Washington Frontier.

For a wonderful start to a western inspirational series, try The Stars for a Light , which follow
Charity
Dec 27, 2015 Charity rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt like this book was all over the place. I didn't feel a strong desire for the characters to end up together, I didn't really care what opened to them. I thought Cheney had a terrible disposition to be a doctor. I was hoping for something more exciting in the cargo. I won't be continuing on in this series.
Wendy Holloway
Jan 21, 2014 Wendy Holloway rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gilbert-morris
This is the first book in my favorite Christian historical fiction series. Throughout the set, the characters travel to many locations and meet a lot of historical figures. So not only is the plot captivating, but the reader soaks up quite a bit of geography and history. The icing on the cake is that the characters grow in their faith and inspire the reader to do the same. I have read the entire collection three times so far, and have enjoyed it each time. As soon as my friend returns them, I'll ...more
Amanda
Dec 31, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Historical fiction with a good dose of romance. Interesting, clean and fun, with some good morals thrown in. One criticism is the simple characterization of some of the characters, but that didn't bother me too much to enjoy this book. I look forward to reading the next one.
Maeve
Oct 12, 2014 Maeve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read... although, I would have liked to seen a deeper character development within the Mercers Belles. Also, a better description of the settings (ie more details about the ships, ports) to set the stage. It will be interesting to see where this series continues.
Shannon
Sep 22, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was surprisingly good. I only had one moment of gritting-my-teeth-with-annoyance-at-the-sexism, and though there was some preachiness, I liked that the characters seem to be allowed to have foibles and flaws and still be sympathetic. I hope this trend continues.

Meghan
Feb 09, 2013 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the only Inspirational fiction series which I've read and really enjoy. The books take place just after the Civil War and center around Cheney Duvall, a woman from a wealthy family who has become a doctor. The historical details in the series are great, as a historical fiction junkie, I appreciate the rich period details. Though the main plot of the series is the romance between Cheney and her (super hot) assistant Shiloh, the books also contain a lot of adventure elements. Being a Chris ...more
Jun 27, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read and reread this book throughout my middle and high school years. It was a favorite. I don't know how it would stand up to a reread so many years later, but I have fond memories of enjoying the series and talking about it with a group of girl friends.
Katie
I picked this book up because it features a woman doctor shortly after the Civil War, and Elizabeth Blackwell (the first woman doctor) has been one of my personal heroes since I was a little girl. However, I found Cheney Duvall insipid as opposed to inspiring. She came across as an inept doctor rather than a pioneer for women in the field of medicine. The writing style, word choice, and phrasing were painful to me. I normally try to finish books, but my time is so limited these days that I just ...more
Chelsea
Feb 19, 2014 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The nurse brought constant comedy, there was more adventure than romance, and there were some mysteries! The part I didn't like was what some of the men did even though they were suppose to be strong Christians.
Amanda
Mar 09, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember loving the Cheney Duvall books in high school. Re-reading it now, it's a bit rough around the edges but the characters are interesting and engaging. Still a good read, even years later.
Ashley Carmichael
I like Cheney--brave, determined and strong female character. She's a little too insecure at times but represents the time period well. But I love Shiloh. And maybe that's just how it should be...
Tessa Palmeri
Sep 11, 2015 Tessa Palmeri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series! I'm re-reading it with my preteen daughter (who reads at a college freshman level according to a reading and comprehension diagnostic).
Gwen
Nov 04, 2012 Gwen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gwen by: my grandmother
Shelves: fiction
Kclark
Aug 22, 2015 Kclark rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
too many names, too convoluted.. Didn't like the writing. Too bad because I was hoping it was like one of my all time favorite books, CHRISTY.
Denise
Aug 01, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all of Gilbert Morris and Lynn Morris's books. They draw you in to them so easy it makes you feel that you are a part of the story. That you are there where they are. I especially love the historical aspect. They have to put in a great deal of time and research to know so much about history.
Anna Murdock
this book just never really grabbed my attention. It get a little better at the end, but was just kind of slow.
Mom
Mar 14, 2015 Mom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bellevue-library
Quite the adventure on the ship. Bull and Beans (?) reminded me of Don Knotts and Tim Conway in the Apple Dumpling Gang. Doing silly stuff and getting into trouble. Fun twist to have the nurse be Shiloh (a male) rather than a woman to go with Cheney.
Melissa
Sep 15, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First in Cheney Duvall series about a female doctor in the 1860s. Great story about faith.
  • The Saintly Buccaneer: 1777 (The House of Winslow)
  • Under Eastern Stars (Heart of India, #2)

Lynn Morris (born 1954) is a Christian fiction author. She is the daughter of Gilbert Morris and has co-written with him on most of her books.

Series:
* Cheney Duvall, M.D. (with Gilbert Morris)
* Cheney and Shiloh: The Inheritance (with Gilbert Morris)
* The Creole (with Gilbert Morris)
* Omega (with Gilbert Morri
More about Lynn Morris...

Cheney Duvall, M.D. (8 books)
  • Shadow of the Mountains (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #2)
  • A City Not Forsaken (Cheney Duvall, M.D. Series #3)
  • Toward the Sunrising (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #4)
  • Secret Place of Thunder: (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #5)
  • In the Twilight, in the Evening (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #6)
  • Island of the Innocent (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #7)
  • Driven With the Wind  (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #8)