Start by marking “From Baghdad, With Love: A Marine, the War, and a Dog Named Lava” as Want to Read:
From Baghdad, With Love: A Marine, the War, and a Dog Named Lava

From Baghdad, With Love: A Marine, the War, and a Dog Named Lava (Lava #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  4,385 ratings  ·  466 reviews
Snuffle. Clickclickclick. Snuffleclick.
An insurgent strapping a bomb to his chest ?
They should have prepped the room first with a grenade - tossed it in and just let it do all the dirty work. Instead, for reasons still obscured by war and fear and things just destined to be, they backed up to the walls on either side of the doorway and positioned their weapons to fire.
The
Published June 3rd 2008 by Lyons Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about From Baghdad, With Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Baghdad, With Love

Buggy
Opening line:"I don't remember exactly when I got to the house that served as our command post in the northwest sector of Fallujah, and I don't remember exactly how I got there."

This was a surprisingly great read that held me captivated from beginning to end and I've been recommending it like crazy to all my friends. FROM BAGHDAD WITH LOVE tells the heartwarming and somewhat heartbreaking story of a starving abandoned puppy named Lava and the hardened marine who along with wartime journalists, I
This book was incredibly heart wrenching, hopeful, and disturbing.

What the military has done to our soldiers to prevent them from feeling compassion for even animals is disgusting. I understand the need to keep soldiers able to kill other people for the sake of a country's safety and security, but to actively kill animals that some servicepeople have grown attached to is just beyond awful.

Even though this story has a happy ending for Lava the puppy found in Fallujah, Iraq, the author, a Lt. Col.
Connie Faull
I give this book 4 stars. Although the military brass and the hordes of brains and suits at the Pentagon don’t like military members in combat to adopt animals ,they say it’s against regulations for “health reasons,” actually it’s because they don’t want them to feel normal human compassion when their jobs require them to kill the enemy. You let a little compassion slip in and what might happen when you’re in the field and instead of acting on your training you start to think.

But what the Penta
James
This is a beautiful story about people in bleak and soul-poisoning situations trying to find something life-affirming that will help them hold up and keep going. People who are surrounded by war, grinding poverty, disasters, and personal tragedies all have these needs in common - like the rest of humanity, just more so.

This is a memoir by a Marine, then-Major Jay Kopelman, of how his unit adopted an abandoned puppy they came across in the middle of the battle of Falujah, one of the worst in term
Rebecca
I absolutly melted at the cover and wasn't disappointed by the story. It's about a US Marine who's company finds a dog in an abandoned house in the middle of a war zone (Iraq) starting in 2004. What attracted me was not necessarily the story of man and dog but of living in the war itself - it was told in the most beautiful way and gives human meaning behind the pictures we see and articles we read around areas of war, you could feel emotion and the atmosphere.

The simple comment of why not save a
Shahine Ardeshir
This is the story of a US marine who, in the middle of an excruciating posting in Iraq, stumbles upon a little puppy. A puppy who, despite regulations prohibiting it, he decides to adopt, and eventually take home to the US with him. It is as simple - and heart-warming - a tale as that.

I loved how honest, gritty, disturbing, warm and humane this story was. It told the tale of a war zone in a sad but open manner, and I learned a lot about the country and the conflict that I didn't know. The fact t
Kurk Harris
Oct 30, 2008 Kurk Harris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers and iraqi war veterans
Recommended to Kurk by: Nathan Rave
This book is a heart-warming tale of a Marine's self-appointed mission to rescue a stray puppy from war-torn Iraq. It is a fast, easy read that will pluck your heart strings, and maybe even bring a tear to your eyes.

I absolutely recommend this book to three groups.
1)Anyone who loves dogs.
2)Anyone who loves someone who has been to Iraq in the military.
3)Anyone who has been to Iraq.

For those who have been to Iraq, you will recognize in Jay Kopelman the intense loneliness that everyone there experi
Rachel
I read the first half of this a month ago and then, what with one thing and another, couldn't seem to get back to it. I was thinking this meant that it wasn't terribly compelling, but earlier today when I was sitting in a waiting room with nothing to do finally finish reading it, I had to try not to cry in great big heaving sobs, even though it would have given all the people who forgot to bring a book something to look at.

Jay Kopelman was a Marine colonel on active duty in Iraq in 2004 when his
Cassy
Nov 10, 2009 Cassy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog lovers, Americans who are curious about the situation in Iraq
Recommended to Cassy by: Jennifer Strait
Oh man. I should not have read this book right now! I am currently in delicate negotiations with my husband about getting a puppy. And this book only heightens my I-want-a-dog-now fervor. See, dear husband – dogs are great! Even in the middle of war-torn Iraq, a U.S. Marine grew attached to a rambunctious puppy named Lava and undertook the arduous process of getting Lava to the U.S. If Kopelman can fall in love with a dog in those dire circumstances, you too can fall in love with a new puppy in ...more
Tempo de Ler
{Blog} http://tempodler.blogspot.pt/2012/06/...

Li este pequenino livro na praia, no espaço temporal de um dia. E sim, é isso mesmo que eu vou para a praia fazer - ler! Isso e praguejar contra as pessoas que vão para lá dormir e, consequentemente, ressonar sonoramente...e contra os miúdos que vão para lá correr, guinchar, e levantar a areia toda...e contra a minha irmã, que ainda não percebeu que se eu quisesse saber os últimos mexericos sobre o alegado jet7 português eu própria pegava no raio da
Lara
Megan loaned me this book like two years ago (Maybe three now? Jeez...) and I've put off reading it until now because I knew it would probably make me cry. And it did.

While the writing is not all that great, Kopelman is very honest about what the situation was in Baghdad and Fallujah during the war; it actually kind of surprised me that at times he's pretty critical of certain policies and about U.S. military thinking, although never in a way that sounds overly bitter or angry. Some of that may
Kopelman keeps it 'real' about the war in Iraq and the things highly trained soldiers go through, mentally, physically or otherwise. Saving Lava kept him from completely losing his humanity. Kopelman offers a laugh-your-butt-off commentary about the dog's antics, cliffhanger worry about whether or not Lava's story will end well, and a big picture of Lava's healing power and the hope that there are a lot of good people out there willing to offer a helping hand. I found myself laughing, I found my ...more
Marialyce
This book is a quick read, but one that is quite worthwhile. It is essentially a story about a boy and his dog and how even war and its heinousness can't stop a man from loving and caring for his dog, even if that man is a tough marine. It is well worth the read.
Wendy Kendall
The power of love in unlikely places will surprise you and touch your heart. Puppy love can melt men’s hearts, and move bureaucracies to action. This is the true story of how one lost puppy touched the hearts of an unexpected coalition of people, and continues to touch many more lives in the telling . . . this book is not to be missed. It is 177 pages that I inhaled in two days; it’s a story that will stay in my soul forever.

First Battalion, Third Marines – known as the Lava Dogs – were on the e
Leo S14
In "From Baghdad with Love" a novel by Jay Kopelman A Marine unit is in Iraq and the protaganist Jay finds a dog and he names the dog Lava. He gets attached to this dog but there is one problem, the UCMJ (uniform code of military justice) forbids any attachment to any animal.But this dog was meant for him. He tries to send him home and has to overcome many setbacks but eventually does get him back to the states.

In this novel my favorite character has to be Jay because he did our country proud b
Shirley
First of all, thank you Lieutenant Colonel Jay Kopelman for your service to our country.

This gripping and suspenseful personal account captures the reader from the first pages of the prologue. I will never forget the click, click, click heard as Kopelman and his fellow Marines entered a building with rifles drawn. Was it a sniper? Was there a bomb?

Kopelman explains how in war-torn Fallujah "Discipline overrides everything between Heaven and earth . . . including hunger, exhaustion, fear, homesi
aoi aka
How can you not be sucked in by the picture on the cover. If only all puppies were this quiet when awake, I'd have a puppy. I have a bratty cat instead.

Just from looking at the cover and the title, I knew this would have me in tears. There were times when I had to close the book because I would start tearing up and I knew my face would hurt from crying hard.

This is about a stray puppy found in Fallujah during a Marine reconnaissance mission. It is against military rules to harbor animals/pets in
Sandy
Paula
I love dog stories, love love love them Im a total sucker. So why am I calling this book just OK? The first half is great, its about humanity in war, brought out by a goofball puppy and his hijinks. Marine falls in love, etc. WONDERFUL!

Second half of the book is basically every detail of the logistics. Who's going to watch him, how will we get him his shots and how will we get him out. Every e-mail, phone call, dead end. Its probably a lot like war. Mostly boring, tons of red tape and a second o
Heidi
Dec 01, 2008 Heidi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves animals.
I just finished reading this book last night. I would recommend it to anyone who loves animals. The military jargon at times was confusing. At times it was also difficult to read about the atrocities to animals and humans. I appreciated his honesty in the book. I also found the use of animals in the military to be interesting but shocking. I was appalled at what the soldiers over there witness and know they will never be the same. Although I don't think the writing was that good, it was interest ...more
Samantha
Loved it!!

From Baghdad, With Love is a true story about a Marine and a puppy that he finds abandoned in Iraq. His unit takes the puppy in even though it is against the rules and care for him. They know they are breaking the rules but can't help but love him anyway. They know that he may be taken and killed because that is the policy but Lava gives them something to believe in. It takes their focus away from the fighting and fear and gives them something to focus their attention on.

Very fast read
Margaretanne
This was a good book and an easy read. The chapters are really short and requires almost no brain power so you can easily pick it up, read a few pages even with distractions, and put it down. It got a little monotonous at times. I mean, once you've heard one failed attempt to get the dog out of Iraq, you've kind of heard them all. I kept reading because obviously, there's a happy ending and I wanted to see exactly how it happened. The book makes you feel sad for homeless animals in Iraq but you' ...more
Christie Shields
This book was well written and contains a lot of graphic details about the daily life of a soldier in Iraq. The story is about a Lt. Col. who finds a puppy during a house check in Falluja, Iraq. Instead of leaving the dog to die, the soldier takes the puppy back to his barracks with his unit. The author is good at introducing a topic that makes you wonder and then answering your questions a few pages/chapters along. He never misses the opportunity to explain what happened to his "characters", if ...more
Malia
Heart warming, and human beyond compare. Only four stars because basically alot of the focus was on the war in Iraq. Gave graphic images and extreme circumstances that tortured my mind... and I wasn't there.
I hope you enjoy this book, whoever reads it. one small triumph... It puts life into perspective, and makes me thankfull for what I have.
Megan Spooner
Aug 11, 2007 Megan Spooner rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers
Shelves: nonfiction
I liked this book because it not only was a pull at the heart strings of animal lovers, but it gave a first hand view of living in Baghdad during the war. You sometimes forget that people arent the only ones being killed by the war overseas, but also animals.
Pandora
What a great book with a different view of our soldiers and war. I am a big believer in our vets getting therapy dogs and wish it was more accessible to more of them. This book just shows once again what a dog can do to change/save your life.
Cindy
I recently heard the author speak about PTSD in San Diego and was also able to get his autograph in the books I purchased. Very good book. I read it in just a matter of days and have now finished the second book.
Cheryl Jones
This is probably my all time favorite book. The compassion, determination and dedication this soldier had for this stray dog is, to me, the truest meaning of unconditional love.
Stefani
Jan 02, 2013 Stefani marked it as to-read
Found this using the nifty little GR feature I didn't know existed called the GR Random Book Generator...*shrug* who knew? I must say, just the cover melted my heart a little.
Riesls
I really enjoyed this book. Being a dog lover, of course all dogs should be saved. Author also provides some insight as to what was going on in that war.
so far... 10 46 Feb 12, 2013 04:39PM
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
  • Saving Cinnamon: The Amazing True Story of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Mission to Bring Her Home
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
  • The Dogs Who Found Me: What I've Learned from Pets Who Were Left Behind
  • Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search-and-Rescue Dog
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life
  • Last Dog on the Hill: The Extraordinary Life of Lou
  • The Dog Who Rescues Cats: True Story of Ginny
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon
  • A Dog Year: Twelve Months, Four Dogs, and Me
  • Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish
  • A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life
  • The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption
From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava Z Bagdádu, s láskou

“When you spent your entire career on the fringes of violence, the dogs helped remind you that you were still human” 7 likes
“Why wasn't my time spent helping people instead of a puppy? I don't know and I don't care but at least I saved something.” 4 likes