Start by marking “Nomadic Furniture” as Want to Read:
Nomadic Furniture

Nomadic Furniture

A great book on making nomadic furniture
Published January 12th 1973 by Pantheon (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Nomadic Furniture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nomadic Furniture

trivialchemy
Jun 24, 2011 trivialchemy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cost of 24 linear feet of 1x12 prime cut pine:
$41.68
Cost of 10 cinder blocks:
$13.40
Cost of New American stain, 60 grit and 150 grit sandpaper:
about $10.00
Value in being able to use the phrase "retro-industrial chic" antecedent to banging some half-inbred North Texas hussy on my kitchen floor:
vanishing, but non-zero.

This set of shelves I built last week:
Photobucket
was originally of my own design, but in the course of investigating various options for my design's specifics, I discovered this book: Nomadic F
jess
Mar 18, 2011 jess rated it liked it
Shelves: craft, 2011
This book was published in the 1970s and whoa-doggie does it show. Printed in the classical "handwriting" typeface of so many macrobiotic cook books and "build your own hot tub" books I've seen from the same era, this book manages to impart a sense of a lifestyle that, while fleeting, appears to be circling back into popular consciousness. The furniture in this book is designed to assist proper geometric alignment of the human form, to be stylish or at least to make an aesthetic statement, and t ...more
Travis Johns
Sep 05, 2010 Travis Johns rated it liked it
40 years later, post-apocalypitic furniture suggestions are featured products at IKEA and other large-box container, nightmare meatball dispensaries. Arguably, the best part is when they talk about how the sleeping bag made by the North Face, a small company out of Berkeley, Ca. is the best one on the market... uhmm...

I guess this is what you get when you find a stack of 40 year old architecture books on the street.
Bonnie
May 12, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an interesting time capsule. Some ideas that are obviously precursors of IKEA, some that are are just wacky. I don't think the homemade cardboard carseat will work in the 21st century...
Nilla
Jan 12, 2009 Nilla rated it liked it
It's good, but not exactly what I hoped for. I thought this used more recycled material that required less of needing to have a workshop.
Arlian
Nov 22, 2013 Arlian rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

This book is extraordinarily dated. A large portion of the projects are built using PVC or Cardboard (or both), and encourages the use of things like waterbeds (HAHAHAHAHAH) or beanbag chairs. It's weirdly like a magazine that someone published into a single book? It's not a book that has step-by-step instructions for specific projects, it just kinda throws a bunch of shit out there, including photos of more expensive designer stuff where basically all it says is "Oh, someone made this
George
Jan 04, 2009 George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So glad to see that this has been recently re-issued. This version contains both volumes from the first printings. It's amusing to read the publisher's warning that since these books were first published laws about child seats have changed, so some of the designs may be dangerous or at least non-compliant with current standards. But, really great ideas and information to create living spaces, furniture, and such at minimum cost with recycled materials. Even more important and relevant these days ...more
Jien
Jun 11, 2011 Jien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of the ideas were a bit bizarre and the writing is certainly quirky, however there are so many excellent and amazing concepts that this book is worth the read. A few things are indeed outdated, but the clarity of the illustrations and sheer creativity and innovation make this an excellent book for any artist, designer, DIY fan, or ecologically minded person to own.
Ray A
Oct 28, 2014 Ray A rated it it was amazing
A long-time favorite I first read in the early '80s. Definitely influenced my furniture preferences, and led me to attempt a few projects :-) Also their lettering style influenced my manual lettering style for technical drawings.
Beth
Mar 06, 2009 Beth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want-it
I believe this book originally came out in '73. I had no idea it was reissued last year. I wanted it before, but was a little lazy about looking for it. Now I really want it.
Cyndi
Feb 16, 2016 Cyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the ideas in this book are obviously dated, but many can now be purchased at IKEA or similar.
Pete Ford
Pete Ford rated it it was ok
Dec 22, 2013
Guy M. Taylor
Guy M. Taylor rated it did not like it
Jul 08, 2014
Sander Viegers
Sander Viegers rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2013
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
peter edmunds
peter edmunds rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2016
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2012
George
George rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2009
John Alden
John Alden rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Caroline Bedaard
Caroline Bedaard rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Fabian
Fabian rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2016
Cirrostratus
Cirrostratus rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2017
Dax J
Dax J rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2009
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
pool spy
pool spy rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Brian Kelly
Brian Kelly rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Rachel Faucett
Rachel Faucett rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2011
Tim Jones
Tim Jones rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2014
Novysan
Novysan rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Craft Evolve
Craft Evolve rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2010