Start by marking “Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3)” as Want to Read:
Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3)

Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail #3)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  724 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Nuala Anne McGrail is almost more than any poor mortal man can handle without losing his sanity: her beauty causes shortness of breath in men of all ages, she's strong, she's smart, she's witty, she sings like an angel, and--to top it all off--she's psychic, or fey as they say in the Old Country.

But our man Dermot Michael Coyne, "accidental millionaire," part-time writer,
Published December 15th 1998 by Tor Books (first published March 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Irish Whiskey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irish Whiskey

Heather Clark
Aug 29, 2008 Heather Clark rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, romance
Sometimes I think I read these just for the language in them...I love the lyrical sound/flow of how the Irish new to America (or sometimes long time American residents) speak....

I enjoyed this mystery - as I do all of Mr. Greeley's mysteries. I always learn a bit about history.
Paigersoccerfan
Jan 30, 2009 Paigersoccerfan rated it it was amazing
This book was the third in the "Irish" series by Andrew M. Greeley. It was by far my favorite, so far (I have read #'s 1,2, and 4.) I think that the historical part of the book was blended into the story a little better than in the other books. The romance was fun and sweet. The author wove the story so that the reader is completely rooting for the main character, which is of course as it should be. I enjoyed getting more a glimpse into Mr. Greeley's theology, which the main characters espoused. ...more
Zarina
Apr 11, 2012 Zarina rated it it was ok
This book came in when my brother borrowed two sets of encyclopedia for a photo shoot. It is hard cover without its jacket and no write up of the book. But the title was interesting enough for me to pick it up.

I love the story but it tends to drift away - the language is a bit weird for me to understand that I really have to fully concentrate on the reading.

I love how the book tells about the rivalry of the two Chicago mafia and the romance of one. It also brings a bit of history about the city.
Mary Neupert ohlms
Jul 31, 2014 Mary Neupert ohlms rated it it was amazing
I will miss Fr. Andrew Greeley. His stories have kept me Catholic, albeit a very imperfect one, but that's ok with Fr. Greeley and God.
Mary
Jul 19, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
This was a light, quick, summer read. The setting in Chicago and references to Dublin made the book more enjoyable. Three themes were interwoven: what happened to an Irish gangster who lived in Chicago during the Al Capone era, trumped up charges of fraud and the goings on at the Mercantile Exchange, and family problems with an upcoming Irish wedding. Since Andrew Greeley recently passed away, and he wrote many, many books, I felt it was time to read one of his books. I am glad I read this one a ...more
Barbara
Jan 07, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
I truly did enjoy this book, but Greeley’s writing gets tiresome at times. It’s his love affair with the Irish. It’s as if there is no other culture or heritage and rich, mystical and wonderful as the Irish. It gets to be a bit much by the end of the book.

I do like, however, the bits of history he is weaving into these stories. This one, like the second book, involves an era in Chicago’s past that we have hopefully lived down at this point in time – Prohibition and Al Capone. While the mystery
Barber1586
Aug 31, 2015 Barber1586 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Pure entertainment.
Judy Knight
Sep 22, 2014 Judy Knight rated it really liked it
Great Irish American novel series.
Rachel
Dec 21, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
I've truly liked the books of this series. There are some mystical elements that are a bit strange, but the characters are interesting and have mostly good morals. All in all, these are good mysteries. They are written well also although I was surprised at the level of eroticism considering the series is by a priest.
In each book,the couple solves at least one older often ancient mystery and a current-time mystery that are slightly connected as well as work through a crisis in their relationship
Diana Rising
Nov 04, 2015 Diana Rising rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
A great book in a wonderful series. The heroine has mystical abilities, and the hero is wonderful.
Beth Mcgoldrick
Jun 23, 2014 Beth Mcgoldrick rated it liked it
This wasn't my favorites in this series. I like to read these stories for the plot and relationship between the two main characters (still good in this episode), for the historical fiction / mystery plot (meager at best in this story), and for the "modern" day story plot (not my favorite in this episode). The main modern day plot is about a court trial and I'm not a fan of courtroom dramas. it was written well, but not my cup of tea.
Teresa
Jul 09, 2007 Teresa rated it liked it
I anticipated both more and less of a story from this novel. There were several stories being told, and none of them particularly well. Greeley told more than showed throughout. We're too much in the narrator/ main character's head. If this was presented in my writing group, I'd have pages of notes. Unbelievable, undeveloped characters. Paltry description. And then descriptions that slow the action down.
Tracey
Aug 11, 2014 Tracey rated it liked it
Dermot & Nuala stories are always interesting. :) This one took a little while to get started- but once it did I was able to get more involved in the story. I know they were almost- newlyweds- but could have done without knowing how often they wanted to ravage each other - not sure it was always necessary to know what Nuala was wearing. Just little nit-picky things that bugged me. Overall a good read.
Kimberly
Mar 03, 2014 Kimberly rated it liked it
I love these books even though Nuala is a little too perfect and you don't ever really doubt that things are going to turn out altogether grand, brilliant even. The lovely melody if the Irish Americans and their charm draw you in. I will always read these books, they are a light fun read.
Elaine
Dec 27, 2013 Elaine rated it it was ok
Sure and I've liked some of his books before, but wasn't this the tedious one with all its 'if only I'd listened' or 'wasn't the worst to be coming' and such shite. Read not quite half and skimmed the rest.
Pat Fahrenthold
Aug 28, 2011 Pat Fahrenthold rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
YOung Irish-American couple find an explanation for the disapprearance of a Prohibition Era gangster.
Carrie
Oct 30, 2012 Carrie rated it liked it

The Chicago history was cool. But the back forth of Irish talk confused the shite out of me.
Joyce McKune
Jun 29, 2010 Joyce McKune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dermot & Nuala's wedding almost because fed's think his stock dealing was an inside tip.
Barbara
May 07, 2009 Barbara rated it liked it
It's still a good mystery but becoming too political and Nuala is a bit too perfect.
Becky
Sep 03, 2008 Becky added it
It was okay; might read the rest.
Salsadancer
Jul 03, 2010 Salsadancer rated it it was ok
takes place in Prohabition-era Chicago
Carol
May 05, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it
Love the mysticism.
Ria M
Ria M marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Nathan Keniston
Nathan Keniston marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Becky
Becky added it
Jan 31, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
  • The Reeve's Tale (Sister Frevisse #9)
  • 1949: A Novel of the Irish Free State
  • Death Takes Up a Collection (Sister Mary Helen, #8)
  • Endangered (Summer Westin Mystery, #1)
  • The Death of an Irish Politician (Peter McGarr, #1)
  • Tuesday the Rabbi Saw Red
  • Buffalo Bill's Dead Now (Wind River Reservation, #16)
  • The Lodge of the Lynx (Adept #2)
  • The Thorne Maze (Elizabeth I, #5)
  • Zombies of the Gene Pool (Jay Omega, #2)
  • The Cat Who Went Into the Closet (Cat Who... #15)
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...

Nuala Anne McGrail (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1)
  • Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2)
  • Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4)
  • Irish Eyes (Nuala Anne McGrail, #5)
  • Irish Love (Nuala Anne McGrail, #6)
  • Irish Stew! (Nuala Anne McGrail, #7)
  • Irish Cream (Nuala Anne McGrail, #8)
  • Irish Crystal (Nuala Anne McGrail, #9)
  • Irish Linen (Nuala Anne McGrail, #10)
  • Irish Tiger (Nuala Anne McGrail, #11)