Start by marking “Mapplethorpe” as Want to Read:
Mapplethorpe

Mapplethorpe

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The brilliant photographer Robert Mapplethorpe (1946–1989) was one of the most infamous figures of the contemporary art world. Patricia Morrisroe, drawing on the numerous interviews she conducted with him and those who know him, has written a remarkable biography that reveals a life even more daring than his art.
Published March 22nd 1997 by Da Capo Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Mapplethorpe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mapplethorpe

Niklas Pivic
Robert Mapplethorpe was an anomaly. A sometimes mediocre photographer with a keen eye for disrupting scenes through being a punk, sometimes shaking things up in ways that nobody else had done before him.

He seems also to have been a parasite, a racist, a nice guy, brutal and a relentless self-serving publicity-machine.

So, what draws people to Mapplethorpe? Is it because of his images of people, especially the sexually toned ones? His near-marriage with Patti Smith while living with her for seven
Rudy Katoch
I own the first-edition hardback, which is important as this is where Patricia Morrisroe's work appears in its most beautiful form. It is gold. There are two self-portraits of Robert Mapplethorpe from the 1980s placed in the centre: one gracing the front and the other on the back. The 1986 self-portrait upon the cover hints at the terribilità in his expression and work. It is a quality attributed to Michelangelo by his contemporaries and applied to Mapplethorpe by his own. But, it is the the blu ...more
Shannan
I was compelled to read Mapplethorpe after reading Patti Smith's "Just Kids," (another amazing book), and have to say that Mapplethorpe was fascinating, heartbreaking, poignant, thought-provoking, and probably the best book I read all last year. He was such an intriguing figure, pushing every boundary of societal norms and moral conventions.
Barbara
This book was an extremely thorough biography of Mapplethorpe. I was inspired to read it after reading "Just Kids" by Patti Smith; it provides more insight into Mapplethorpe himself and some alternate information on Smith. It is not for the faint of heart or conservative reader.
Sandra Linquist
I liked reading this book. I am an artist and photographer and enjoyed reading about New York's struggling artists of the time. I also was a child when all of this was going on so it was interesting to get a different perspective of the era. There was a lot more detail in this book than in Patty Smith's book, Just Kids.
One thing this book prompted me top do was to do some recent research in AIDS. I remember when it started in San Francisco and all of the things they discovered about it through t
Michael Flick
For me, this was a hard book to like. The author had access to Mapplethorpe and most of the people who had contact with him. The book is detailed without succumbing to the problems that plague most biographies of the living or recently deceased: repetition and drivel. It's well written and edited. All that is what is good about it.

What's not so good: First, there are numerous photographs, appropriate for a biography of a photographer, but they are poorly reproduced, murky and unfocused. It's eas
Rafa Lombardino
I definitely took longer to finish this one... It did have about 100 pages more than each of the other five books I've read this year, but the subject wasn't easy either. It's not that I was appalled by the descriptions of his photographs and lifestyle; it's just hard to read about someone self-destructing. Still, it's like a car crash and you can't avoid looking to see what happened. A couple of months ago his name wouldn't ring a bell. A couple of weeks ago I actually got a joke that Bill Mahe ...more
Kizer
If you had hoped to learn something about Robert Mapplethorpe's photography this is the wrong place to look. If you want salacious sex stories, well it takes all kinds. The beginning of the book does give interesting insights into the relationship between Robert and Patti Smith but the overall story rings hollow. I'd recommend waiting for Patti Smiths book " Just Kids".
mazal bohbot berrie
Jun 28, 2010 mazal bohbot berrie marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
Mapplethorpe, only in your constellation could you have such a boring biographer. You had a brilliant life and deserve better. I love your adolescent guts, but I have to put you away so I can read my second wave, gender studies books. But I will be back soon. Luv, Leslie
Stéphanie Amesse
Well-researched and well-written, but the author gets lost when she tries to explain Mapplethorpe's work in the context of his sexuality. A good read nonetheless, but definitely no ground-breaking insights.
Bonnie Dean
Very well written. You don't have to be an art afficianado to appreciate Mapplethorpe's contribution to photography and visual arts (regardless of how much of a prick he could be).
Linda Edquist
Seem to be in a biography frame of mind and this ones is reading like it will be a very interesting look at the 1970's NYC art culture and the birth of the gay pride movement.
Kristin
A really stunning biography of Robert Mapplethorpe that I read to clarify after reading Patti Smith's "Just Kids". IMO, a lot better than Smith's book.
rebecca
you'll find most of my books are biographies....no real reason except that if I am going to escape for a while I'll read about someone else's life....
Nick
Bio of controversial photographer that's completely biased by the author's distaste of her subject's lifestyle.
Ron
It offers insights in Mapplethrope and his creative mind.
Anthony Arthur
Good biography of a complicated yet visionary artist.
Robert Vaughan
Love, love, love him and his work.
Marilyn Moreau
Well researched, vivid.
Leila Al-zagheer
Leila Al-zagheer marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Adrielle
Adrielle marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
  • Mishima: A Biography
  • A Great Unrecorded History: A New Life of E. M. Forster
  • Shakespeare
  • Moonlight Shadow
Wide Awake: A Memoir of Insomnia Wide Awake: What I Learned about Sleep from Doctors, Drugs Companies, Dream Experts, and a Reindeer Herder in the Arctic Circle 9 1/2 Narrow: My Life in Shoes Wide Awake: What I Learned about Sleep from Doctors, Drug Companies, Dream Experts, and a Reindeer Herder in the Arctic Circle