Start by marking “Zehn kleine Zauberer” as Want to Read:
Zehn kleine Zauberer

Zehn kleine Zauberer (Lord Darcy #4)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Translation of Ten Little Wizards: A Lord Darcy Novel.
Published (first published March 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Zehn kleine Zauberer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zehn kleine Zauberer

Having read the original collection Lord Darcy (Omnibus) by Randall Garrett immediately preceding this one, it is obvious this one was written by author. This doesn't in any way diminish the characters or the story, however Kurland's Darcy is slightly less mysterious and he reveals much more about Darcy's background and circumstances. I was quite happy about this, as I was left impatient to know more about the characters at the end Garrett's stories.

Kurland holds true to the original setting and characters, while adding more detail
My first reaction on reading the blurb of this book was 'OMG a detective-story set in an alternate reality where magic exists! why haven't I heard of this sooner?' Once I started reading it was more a 'Yeah I wish I had discovered these earlier but mainly because a few years ago I wasn't overthinking (the logic behind) fantasy-novels that much and was overall less cynic about humanity.'
It's really sad but I simply have massive trouble buying the world the Lord Darcy-stories are set in. So the ma
Jonathan Palfrey
In this book, Kurland took over with remarkable aplomb the alternative history scenario and characters created by his late friend Randall Garrett, and proceeded to introduce new characters and background details, while maintaining Garrett's existing regular characters.

The generous amount of background detail gives a satisfying sense of immersion in this 20th-century Angevin Empire; the characters are varied and quite well presented.

The crimes in the book seem rather contrived to me, and crime fa
Greg Rothenberger
I found this book by accident at the library book sale. I had read the original series by Randall Garrett (in fact, I had just finished reading it again), so I was interested in how this would be.

At first, I was a little disappointed. Like so many sequels written by other authors, the writing just didn't quite measure up to the original. Then I started getting interested in the story. By the end of the book I found I had enjoyed it very much in its own right, and had stopped making comparisons t
2 Stars: Just Ok. Based on a fun alternate history concept (in 1988, the Plantagenets still rule and the dynasty has thrived and has an empire) and a fun mystery concept (magic exists as a science and is used to collect crime scene evidence but not to solve the case). The book is fun, but overall, the characters, dialogue, and narration are too wooden, and the setting too flat, to draw the reader into a full experience of the book's world. This book is an authorized sequel as the original author ...more
An enjoyable mix of mystery and fantasy! Michael Kurland has done a pretty good job of recreating the world inhabited by Lord Darcy originally featured in stories such as Too Many Magicians written by Randall Garrett. The style is the same although I thought the characters were perhaps not developed in quite as much depth. The plot was interesting although the denouement seemed to come about all in a rush at the end which seemed a little abrupt to me. Overall I enjoyed this book and will definit ...more
Kurland did a really good job of recreating Randall Garrett's style. (Who channeled Doyle's Holmes so well it was scary!)

Ten little wizards suffers only a little for being a full-length novel rather than Garrett's usual short story.

I'll admit I figured out the mystery before the end, but I enjoyed the trip. I'll probably read Kurland's other Lord Darcy novel if I can ever find it.
Cyn Mcdonald
Very much in keeping with Randall Garrett's original Lord Darcy stories. One impossible murder is unusual enough, but four in the space of a month? Lord Darcy must solve the crimes while uncovering a plot against His Majesty's life, in a castle crowded with guests for the upcoming investiture of the new Prince of Gaul.
2.5 stars, this was fairly predictable. I'm tempted to reread Lord Darcy.
Barbara Wurtzel
Though I love the Original Lord Darcy books, this one isn't quite in the same league. I give it an A for effort, a B for getting us back to Plantagenet-World, and a B- for character and plot.
Just another bit of evidence that trying to write about someone else's characters is a task that usually turns out badly.
It was a fun read!
Tim Cronin
Tim Cronin marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Bob Gilson
Bob Gilson is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2015
Amy Parrish
Amy Parrish marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Jonas Holdt
Jonas Holdt marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Matthew Dame-Brusie
Matthew Dame-Brusie marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
aka Jennifer Plum

Michael Kurland has written many non-fiction books on a vast array of topics, including How to Solve a Murder, as well as many novels. Twice a finalist for the Edgar Award (once for The Infernal Device) given by the Mystery Writers of America, Kurland is perhaps best known for his novels about Professor Moriarty. He lives in Petaluma, California.
More about Michael Kurland...

Lord Darcy (5 books)
  • Murder and Magic (Lord Darcy, #1)
  • Too Many Magicians (Lord Darcy, #2)
  • Lord Darcy Investigates (Lord Darcy, #3)
  • Study In Sorcery