Start by marking “Field Notes: Grace Note” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Field Notes: Grace Note

Barry López

Field Notes: Grace Note

In this new collection of twelve stories, one of our most admired writers evokes the longing we feel for beauty in our relationships with one another, with the past, with nature, In these stories, we find men or women - sometimes at odds with themselves, sometimes transcendently well grounded - who have an experience that is profound, unsettling, and oddly liberating. In " ...more
Hardcover
Published September 1st 1995 by Turtleback Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Field Notes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Field Notes

Lauren
Contemplative and melancholy in tone, each vignette brings into focus a single character that lives 'outside' in some way - the hermit, the "old maid", the caretaker - outside of society, outside of the norms, truly outside and off the grid.

It's a beautiful and thoughtful collection, weaving in themes of nature and animals right alongside human nature. This was a perfect introduction to Lopez, and I look forward to diving into his collected works that now span several decades.
Ryan Mishap
Oct 28, 2009 Ryan Mishap rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
This collection of short stories proves that Lopez is underrated as a fiction writer--oh sure, he's won awards, but his nonfiction overshadows the little gems he writes (see Resistance for an excellent book).

As the title suggests, most of the stories deal with people who are intent on observing, and, doing so, they fail to participate in the life aorund them; fail to live in nature and remain apart from it.

The second theme that emerges involves people who become disconnected from others beca
Ryan
Dec 08, 2013 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing short stories. There seems to be a theme in this collection, that the main character doesn't always 'get' the situation they are in, that they are distracted or can't see the deeper meaning to what's being communicated.
Jacquelyn Mccaw
Let Barry immerse you in the worlds he creates through words…
Field Notes by Barry Lopez. Vintage Books, New York, 1994

Barry Lopez masters the art of creating a picture in the mind of the viewer in this fiction piece. His descriptions are so vivid and detailed that the reader can literally see the surroundings around the characters. Field Notes is broken into 12 short stories that bring the reader into completely different settings with each. There are common themes throughout each short story, h
Kevin Spicer
Mar 16, 2014 Kevin Spicer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite line: "I departed-my body deft, taut-with a clear sense of where I should go: the route, the dangers, the distances by day. But then the landscape became vast."

Each of these stories speaks of how our desire to know, to analyze, to categorize, to enact some method of control in our lives is often overwhelmed by something emotive and infinite lurking within ourselves and the land. Moving into that state of unknowing is a movement toward consolation and ultimately, hope, while resistance t
Danny Hesser
Feb 24, 2015 Danny Hesser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book we discussed in a course entitled Literature of the Earth. I think it's the first in the magical realism genre I've read, and also the first by Lopez. I was blown away. Characters in each story are transformed somehow due to their interface with nature. Points of view vary, as well as the way Lopez tells a story. Several left me wondering about things well after putting the book down. I borrowed it from the library and took copious notes in a separate "reading journal," a ...more
Rachel
Jun 15, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a book of nature essays, and I was very pleasantly surprised. It's short stories, and they do have to do with nature, but they have this magical element that's just enough for me. The book is many years old, but I'd say this is the freshest nature-type writing I've ever read. It's surprising and very well written and quick but not too light. I will definitely be seeking out more of Lopez's fiction.
Sara
Jan 26, 2016 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read some Barry Lopez before but it's been a while. I was disappointed by this collection. It was one story after another with the same theme: arrogant materialistic intellectual has a transformative experience discovering mystical beyond-believable miracles out in nature. I love nature writing, but this was a let down.
Pamela
Excellent. A great set of very short stories. A little of magical realism derived from nature, mostly animals and a few from plants as well. Overall the stories are about observation, listening and paying attention to the natural world.
Aug 25, 2007 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I don't read or enjoy much short fiction, so the fact that I even liked this is remarkable... I found the stories interesting, unsettling, enjoyable, thought-provoking, and will probably return to a few of them again.
Terresa
Jan 14, 2015 Terresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, 2014
A memorable book, for the rare chance of reading it at an ideal time (!!) and for the beautiful unknowingness of the places, characters, and their quests. A perfect introduction to the writings of Barry Lopez.
Mary Cartledgehayes
I broke up with this book before finishing it, but I was pleased to wander within Lopez's scrumptious vocabulary for a time.
Dani
Dani rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2009
Velma
Velma rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2009
Kat
Mar 17, 2008 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Beautiful images but not enough plot or character to really engage the reader.
Danielle Salis
Danielle Salis rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2013
Michael Freedman
Michael Freedman rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Gavin
Gavin rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2007
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Matthew Cheney
Matthew Cheney rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2013
K Ramer
K Ramer rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Nelda
Nelda rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2012
Lynn Thompson
Lynn Thompson rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2012
Peter Bradley
Peter Bradley rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2012
Heller
Heller rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2011
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Melisa
Melisa rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2010
Dan Furkert
Dan Furkert rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2016
Kevin Jablonski
Kevin Jablonski rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Riko Stan
Riko Stan rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Walking It Off: A Veteran's Chronicle of War and Wilderness
  • Red: Passion and Patience in the Desert
  • The Birds of Heaven: Travels with Cranes
  • Where the Rivers Flow North
  • Hole in the Sky: A Memoir
Barry Holstun López is an American author, essayist, and fiction writer whose work is known for its environmental and social concerns.

López has been described as "the nation's premier nature writer" by the San Francisco Chronicle. In his non-fiction, he frequently examines the relationship between human culture and physical landscape, while in his fiction he addresses issues of intimacy, ethics an
More about Barry López...

“You smell like the woods.” 0 likes