Start by marking “Blood and Oil in the Orient: My childhood in Baku and my hair-raising escape through the Caucasus” as Want to Read:

An Autobiography like Something Out of the Arabian Nights In this lively and witty autobiography, Essad Bey, a.k.a. Lev Nussimbaum, tells us the story of his childhood in Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, and of his flight from the Russian Revolution in 1917, which brought him first straight through the Caucasus, then to Istanbul - where this book concludes - and finally to ...more
Published January 20th 2008 by Bridges Publishing (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Oil in the Orient, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Oil in the Orient

Marcel Lewicki
May 19, 2014 Marcel Lewicki rated it it was amazing
An amazing account of childhood and adolesence in multi-cultural Baku. The veracity especially of the story of his escape has been questioned -- the author was known as a bit of a con man in Berlin, after all --, which makes it an even more entertaining read. "Kurban Said" finally ended up in Positano, Italy, where his grave overlooks the Amalfi coast.
Catherine Cleeve
Jul 12, 2010 Catherine Cleeve rated it it was ok
Interesting, but not written in an engaging style. The story flowed, but narrative didn't - I found it hard to plough through.
Tim TERMAN
Nov 02, 2012 Tim TERMAN rated it it was amazing
This was a fine book from the early days of the oil boom in the Middle East. I believe it was a true story.
Tim
Feb 17, 2009 Tim rated it it was amazing
This was written back in another era and is one person's story of growing up the the Middle East oil boom.
Sretic
Sretic added it
Sep 26, 2016
Ariela Aharon
Ariela Aharon marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Majda
Majda marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Michael Thom
Michael Thom marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Alana
Alana added it
Aug 20, 2016
Robert S.
Robert S. rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Jango
Jango marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Julidemu
Julidemu marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Alex Ekserdjian
Alex Ekserdjian marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Nazanin
Nazanin marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Ryan Iseppi
Ryan Iseppi marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Gustavo
Gustavo marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Ona Je ta
Ona Je ta marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Jayson Chatelain
Jayson Chatelain marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Brenna
Brenna marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Nick Patten
Nick Patten marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Paulo Jan
Paulo Jan marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Ersegun Deniz
Ersegun Deniz marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Andriesm
Andriesm marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Hester
Hester marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Scotty Jinks
Scotty Jinks marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Jerry Battiste
Jerry Battiste marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Rosa
Rosa marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Lev Nussimbaum (1905 - 1942) was a prolific Jewish writer who reinvented himself as a Muslim under the pseudonyms Essad Bey and Kurban Said. Despite his being an ethnic Jew, his politics were such that, before his origins were discovered, the Nazi propaganda ministry included his works on their list of "excellent books for German minds".
More about Essad Bey...