Start by marking “Tales of Angria” as Want to Read:
Tales of Angria

Tales of Angria

In 1834, Charlotte Bronte and her brother Branwell created the imaginary kingdom of Angria in a series of tiny handmade books. The five novelettes' in this volume were written by Charlotte, and depict a aristocratic beau monde in ironic language. She creates an atmosphere of intrigue and destructive passions."
Published February 1st 2010 by Penguin Books (first published 1839)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Angria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Angria

Kristine Rochester
Sep 10, 2011 Kristine Rochester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Jane Eyre and Charlotte Brontë as much as I do :)
I rented this book from the library mainly to see how Charlotte Brontë's writing style developed as a young woman; from her time as a teacher and governess to her time in Belgium as a student, and finally, to the period of the publication of her novels. (Especially Jane Eyre) The manuscript "Henry Hastings" was incredible in that regard--so many JE related things. Resurgam, a dog named Carlo, a gentleman with an open book sitting while waiting for a governess, etc. I was like O_O, lol. However, ...more
Amanda
Aug 25, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Overall it was very interesting to see Charlotte's early work. It was however not at all what I expected. When I learned several years ago that the Brontes created imaginary worlds and wrote stories from them, I pictured something more fantastical. Instead it's pretty straightforward high society in a very England-like Africa. I at least pictured something more like a fairy tale, with supernatural characteristics, especially since their most well known officially published works had themes of th ...more
La Mala ✌
Mucho valor emotivo.
Cat
Aug 13, 2012 Cat rated it it was ok
After finishing "The Roe Head Journal Fragments", the last and very confusing tale, I finally completed this book. I thought today would never come, for I was really tired of the book.

Apart from one tale, the fifth, I didn't like this book. Charlotte Brontë was an incredible writer, but that's not the point here. I couldn't enjoy the tales and found them very confusing. And I kept having the general feeling that I had landed on a scene that was already happening and no one had bothered to explai
I've never heard about this book before until I found a copy in a bookshop in Porto. I couldn't resist reading it.

From Penguin:
The book has five novelettes telling the story of an arrogant king who seduces his innocent young ward; a rakish dandy searches salons and boudoirs for a rich and well-connected wife; a dangerous criminal buys his freedmen through betrayal just facing the noose; a wife and a mistress meet for the firs time.
Quirkyreader
Sep 05, 2012 Quirkyreader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gets 5 stars all around. Major kudos to the editor Heather Glen. Her introduction, endnotes, and appendices were very well written and informative.

This tome is another part of the Angrian Saga by the Brontes. Heather Glen assembled a wonderful narrative out of some of Charlotte's existing and known manuscripts. After reading the last story in this collection I want to find out what happens. So it is back to the library to find more parts.

Sieran
*SPOILER ALERT*

Gosh Zamorna is such an adulterer AND pedophile! Omg he even seduces a young girl (Caroline) and puts her in this secret place where only he has access to her. Ewwww. PEDOPHILE, PEDOPHILE!! (It's incestuous too, since it's between a guardian and his ward.)

Seriously, why do all the women fall in love with Zamorna? Is it just because he's "handsome" and that he's the duke?

I hate these "Byronic heros"...
Elaine
Mar 02, 2011 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had not spent much time pondering those tales written by the Bronte children. I thought they would be grim. These Angrian tales by Charlotte along with her brother Bramwell were not just written in childhood but into their adult years too; but they are somewhat surprising, fairly racey for Victorian times, themes. There is a bit of Sir Walter Scott, some are Arthurian chivalric elements in them, along with some Star Wars-like action. Where are the Hollywood movie-makers?
Bettie☯
Gifted from Brazilliant Laura - thankee.

1. Mina Laury
Opening: The last scene in my last book concluded within the walls of Alnwick House, and the first scene in my present volume opens in the same place. I have a great partiality for morning pictures.
Craig
Sep 17, 2013 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-2011
Back in the early 90s when I was trying to find these texts, they were simply impossible to find. I spent hundreds of dollars on academic compilations and even travelled to Haworth to find them, so major kudos to Penguin for releasing them in affordable editions. Again, essential reading in the Angrian series.
Sheri-lee
Interesting but a bit unsatisfying as there are chunks of 'history' and story missing and things are somewhat fragmented, with some unresolved story lines.

I think some of the private lives were likely very scandalous for the 1830's. I wonder if the Brontë family would have been scandalized themselves if these stories had been published in their life times. Interesting.
Kyle
Nov 24, 2009 Kyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very wintry place this fictional world the Brontë siblings created - even in the summer months it is damp and stormy (perhaps proof of toll global warming has taken on North Africa since 1830s). The characters themselves are a variety of intemperate emotions...
Rebecca Jane
Mar 31, 2016 Rebecca Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
2.5 stars.
I didn't think these short stories were anything special. While I didn't dislike them, I thought the characters and the places were a bit hard to follow and I expected a lot more from it.
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2012
Terri Pray
Terri Pray rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Blanche
Blanche rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2012
Barnabas Rosemary
Barnabas Rosemary rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2012
Lytton Bell
Lytton Bell rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2013
luk
luk rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2016
Shawn
Shawn rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2012
Booklvr
Booklvr rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Cammie Cole
Cammie Cole rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Gwen Kubberness
Gwen Kubberness rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Ashley Davis
Ashley Davis rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Israel Drazin
Israel Drazin rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Alicea
Alicea rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Denise
Denise rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2011
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Beverley Warren
Beverley Warren rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Charlotte Brontë: A Passionate Life
  • Best Poems of the Brontë Sisters
  • A Garland for Girls
  • The Lifted Veil / Brother Jacob (Oxford World's Classics)
  • The Juvenilia of Jane Austen and Charlotte Brontë
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • The Brontë Myth
  • The Brontës: A Life in Letters
  • The Life of Charlotte Brontë
  • The Well-Beloved
  • Pictures from Italy
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • The Infernal World of Branwell Brontë
  • Mother
  • The History Of Sir Charles Grandison Bart
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • The Bride of Lammermoor
  • The Taste of Sorrow
Charlotte Brontë was a British novelist, the eldest out of the three famous Brontë sisters whose novels have become standards of English literature. See also Emily Brontë and Anne Brontë.

Charlotte Brontë was born in Thornton, Yorkshire, England, the third of six children, to Patrick Brontë (formerly "Patrick Brunty"), an Irish Anglican clergyman, and his wife, Maria Branwell. In April 1820 the fam
More about Charlotte Brontë...

“Beauty is given to dolls, majesty to haughty vixens, but mind, feeling, passion and the crowning grace of fortitude are the attributes of an angel.” 8 likes