Start by marking “Secrets Can Kill (Nancy Drew: Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Secrets Can Kill

Carolyn Keene

Secrets Can Kill (Nancy Drew Files #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,416 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Nancy poses as a student and goes undercover to investigate a series of thefts at Bedford High.
Published (first published June 22nd 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets Can Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets Can Kill

Mari
Original recap for the Snark Squad here.

We open the book with some chick looking at herself in a mirror and trying on clothes. JESSICA WAKEFIELD? ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME?

No. It’s Nancy. Apparently 87% of all books geared towards teens must start with an attractive girl checking herself out in a mirror. I totally just made that statistic up, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

Nancy is trying on clothes because this book takes her to the hallways of Bedford High for her new case. Her friends George
Jerry
The Good: This book may have been published in 1986, but it has the feel of a '90's Disney Channel or Nickelodeon series; as a fan of such entertainment, that isn't a bad thing. The mystery is more serious, and the crimes more intense--one character even ends up dead!--which makes this decidedly different from the original old-school series, but it's also more fun. Nancy herself is a likable and strong character, though thankfully not a Mary Sue. All in all, pretty good stuff.

The Bad: I don't ha
Summer
Ok, here's what a nerd I am. I LOVED this series though I believe they came out before 1991 because I was in elementary and middle school at the time. My dad used to take me to Waldenbooks and I would buy 5 of these a week and read them. Sometimes I would stay up ALL night reading them. I loved them. I bet they're hokey now but this series rocked at the time.
Angel
I love the Nancy Drew Files so much. I remember buying this book when it first came out, and I kept reading them until I went to college. When I was a teenager, the highlight of my life was going to town (we didn't live near any bookstores, so it was a once or twice a month trip) and buying the books from this series.
Kim
More book nostalgia.... I loved the Nancy Drew Files when I was 9 or 10, and when I stumbled upon this in the library, I had to indulge. Not bad, and I was definitely right in remembering that each chapter ends with a cliffhanger, but I don't think this was one of the better mysteries in the series. I only wish I could find the one that taught me mixing ammonia and bleach created chlorine gas---that one was great!
Elvira
men den var ju helt okej! har aldrig varit en Kitty-läsare så att den var så välskriven och lättläst var en sorts överraskning. men den var så hemsk stereotypisk. okej att det är flicka som är detektiv och liksom hjälte - men på slutet tycker hon iallafall hennes pojkvän ska sköta det hårda jobbet? okej ja, jag kanske är för kritisk. men det blev för mycket av allt klyschigt. hon är blond, träffar en snygg kille som hon nästan faller för och Kitty är bortskänd. men jag tyckte ändå mysteriet var ...more
Gwenn Wright
The Nancy Drew Files were some of my favorite books in grade school and middle school! What a blast from the past! I would love to read them again. They're sure to be in a box around here somewhere!
Brooke
This book was really good. I liked it because ot was really exciting and some suspense.
Christa
A modern day Nancy Drew. The crimes got more serious.
Alyssa
Marnie Bebej
I never read Nancy Drew as a teen but I came across the first book one day at goodwill so I thought i'd pick it up just for the hell of it. And I have to say I can see why they were so popular. It reads well and doesn't dilly dally on details. Nancy is likable as are her friends. She's a girl with spunk. The first book has a good mystery, cut brake lines, high school drama, and Murder!! If you have a young lady looking for books to get into I would say based on the first these would be a good re ...more
Michelle
Nancy went undercover as a high school student under the instigation of the principal after a series of seemingly dismal break in in the school video lab. The mystery here was rather violent than usual in which it actually had a murder occurred. Other themes were heavy as well including blackmail and espionage! However, the overall mystery seemed to be downplayed for the budding romance between Nancy and Daryl who was her contact. It was tiring reading Nancy’s sappy thoughts on this dude and the ...more
Nattie
I wanted to give this 2.5 stars, but as you know; no can do. It wasn't as entertaining as I was expecting, not bad, not good, OK.

There was one scene in the book where Nancy and her friends Bess and George are just about murdered by some crazy guys with rifles wearing black. They are able to get away from their would-be killers by nearly destroying Nancy's new car while racing away from the would-be killers who are in a van.

George, I believe, had the idea to stop the car in a jammed pizza parlor
ScarlettOwl
I remembered reading this copy back in middle school and its still wonderful book, just cause its a bit dated dosent mean its horrendous. a good fun read, shows true nacy drew flair with the touch of the 80s .

only fault i had was that nancy was so boy crazy lol come on girl get your head in the game.

also there could have been more sturture in the flow of the plot.
Jeanna
***This somewhat has a spoiler, so please do not read it if you don't want to be spolied! Thank you!***

I love reading Nancy Drew books. I really enjoy her adventures with Bess, George and Ned and everyone else...so I wanted to read this book since it was teen setting. While I was reading, they introduced Daryl. And automatically Nancy and Daryl had an attraction to each other. I kind of knew Daryl had to do something with the case. I noticed he was kind of...clingy a little...I don't know exactl
Miri
The first book in the Nancy Drew Files series puts Nancy undercover at Bedford High to investigate vandalism and theft, the case quickly becomes more sinister when blackmail and murder come into play.

This series isn't as good as the original. Nancy is way more obsessed with boys and seems less adventuresome and self reliant and less focused on the mysteries. The series is sort of a pale version of the original Nancy Drew, but if you're looking for a taste of Nancy Drew the series isn't terrible
Rachel
I did read a bunch of these as a kid too...they were fun and I'm nostalgic about them, but they don't match up to the original Nancy Drew books (at least, not in my memory). ;-)
Abhinay Verma
The Nancy Drew Mysteries series is better in terms of plot development. The Files series is 60% teenage romance and hardly any adventure
Kay
its been a long time since I've read any of the case files and I'd definitely forgotten some of the characterizations that crop up
Crystal Billheimer
i love nancy drews books all of them
Gina
Love me some Nancy Drew!!
Maya
I just love this book!
Danielle
I think I had the first two of the books in this spin-off/modernized (though not really anymore) Nancy Drew series. All I remember is she is masquerading as a high schooler in order to solve a case at a high school. Her boyfriend and best friends help her and there is almost a love triangle I think. I wasn't as interested in these as the original series so I never even read the second one.
Mell
I tried this "modern" version of Nancy Drew as a teen. Note her very purple jacket that screams late 80s fashion. I did not pursue the series, preferring Trixie Belden at the time.

I remember that my fussy school librarian tisked over what they had done to classic Nancy-- she no longer wore pearls and drove a Roadster, or whatever car she drove in the original. I think I rolled my eyes and thought Miss McIlvain was just *so* out of touch to think we wanted to read out-of- date books on our own t
Sara
Yes - I was into Nancy Drew for a brief while. I liked them at the time and I am quite certain that if I were to reread any of them, I would have to downgrade my rating to one star. I think I read the first 60+ of this series so if I wanted to compete with this little "# of books read" competition that some are having I might rate all of them, but for now, I'll spare you the lengthy goodreads update.
Martina
Shockingly thrilling to me back in 1998-ish, so I could never badmouth this cheesy spin-off of an already somewhat cheesy franchise. I remember walking the half mile downtown to Copperfield's used bookstore for the next yellowed and creased $2 installment (or whatever they had)
Jie Hao
Finally got my hand on this book! Too bad that I only read it today. Once again Nancy took me on one of her amazing trip of seeking the truth. I could seriously feel it, the conflict between her and this new boy. But no matter what, I'm just jealous of Nancy and Ned. After reading about them, I can't help but wish to meet one like Ned....
Jessica
this is such a good book I would really recomend it to anyone. the first chapter is always the harest to get into because they just fly to many characters in your face and then once you get to usually the third chapter you get to know the characters more and your use to them but other than the first chapter everything else is way good!
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Vanishing Victim (Trixie Belden, #33)
  • See No Evil (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #8)
  • The Haunted Dollhouse (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • The Graduation (Final Friends, #3)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew Files (1 - 10 of 124 books)
  • Deadly Intent (Nancy Drew: Files, #2)
  • Murder On Ice (Nancy Drew: Files, #3)
  • Smile and Say Murder (The Nancy Drew Files, #4)
  • Hit and Run Holiday (Nancy Drew: Files, #5)
  • White Water Terror (The Nancy Drew Files, #6)
  • Deadly Doubles (The Nancy Drew Files, #7)
  • Two Points to Murder (The Nancy Drew Files, #8)
  • False Moves (Nancy Drew: Files, #9)
  • Buried Secrets (The Nancy Drew Files, #10)
  • Heart of Danger (The Nancy Drew Files, #11)
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)