Start by marking “Cold in Hand (Charles Resnick, #11)” as Want to Read:
Cold in Hand (Charles Resnick, #11)

Cold in Hand (Charlie Resnick #11)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  527 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
It's Valentine’s Day, and a dispute between rival gangs leaves a teenage girl dead.

Detective Inspector Charlie Resnick, nearing retirement, is hauled back to the front line to help deal with the fallout. But when the dead girl’s father seeks to lay the blame on Resnick’s partner, DI Lynn Kellogg, Resnick finds the line between the personal and the professional dangerously
Published September 15th 2008 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Cold in Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold in Hand

Eric_W
Jul 09, 2012 Eric_W rated it really liked it
So what makes a good police procedural: authentic police techniques, good characterization, multiple plot lines, but not so many that they seem irrelevant, a believable resolution.

This, the 11th (?) Charlie Resnick meets all the criteria. You can read a summary of the plot in the publisher’s description. It’s accurate without giving away too much.

This was my first Resnick novel; it will not be my last. There was a shocker about halfway through the book that took me completely by surprise. That
Steve
Mar 11, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it
A fitting, but also tragic end (probably) to a great crime series. In this chapter, Detective Inspector Resnick now has his thirty years in, so retirement looms. And things are looking good, since he’s settled in with a love interest, Detective Lynn Kellogg. Their nights together, talking shop, sharing a bottle of wine over dinner, while Charlie’s jazz cds play in the background, suggest a coziness that Resnick has long deserved. If you’ve followed the series, you’ll find all the things you love ...more
LJ
COLD IN HAND (Police Proc-Charlie Resnick-England-Cont) – Ex
Harvey, John – 11th in series
William Heinemann, 2008, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 9780434016945

First Sentence: It was the curious time, neither day nor night, not even properly dusk, the light beginning to shorten and fade, the headlights of a few overcautious drivers raising a quick, pale reflection from the slick surface of the road, the main route back into the city.

DI Lynn Kellogg has been shot while breaking up a fight between girls in tw
Marina Sofia
Oct 04, 2015 Marina Sofia rated it really liked it
Such a humane and personal description of police guilt, disenchantment and grief. Written in an enviably easy-flowing and effortless-seeming prose style. We think we know where the investigation is going, but do we really? The mystery element is the least of our worries in this book which may well be Charlie Resnick's swan song.
DGT
Nov 15, 2015 DGT rated it liked it
"A city this size ..."

There’s nothing wrong with genre-fiction with a recurring central character. I read lots of detective novels and have favourite detectives, not least DI Charlie Resnick. I was pleased to find that John Harvey had brought him back after a gap of some years. In some respects, the results are more interesting than in Ian Rankin’s last few John Rebus novels. But keeping a series going when acknowledging that time passes in the lives of the characters brings challenges and if th
Monica
Jul 01, 2015 Monica rated it it was amazing
This is a difficult book and so very well done. The plot is so well developed - the riot that results in the death of a young black woman and her family's reaction to it and against the police, the murder of a young sex worker and the possible involvement of an international arms ring, the intersection of the personal and professional lives of Resnick and Lynn Kellogg and the tragic consequences of the violence for all of these people.

This is not Robin Hood's Nottingham - the drug trade, arms sa
Eric
Dec 17, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it
Cold in Hand is the purported next to last book with Charlie Resnick as a detective. As written in previous reviews, Harvey's depiction of Resnick only gets better with each novel.

One mistake too many authors make when creating villains is making them too over the top and unbelievable. To me, the most effective villains are those that are the most believable when it comes to accepting the particular villain actually could exist and most of these archetypes are made up of more or less regular ma
Art
Feb 20, 2015 Art rated it really liked it
John Harvey took a break of nearly 10 years between the last two books in the Charlie Resnick series, a brilliant police procedural based in Nottingham.

Charlie, a jazz lover from the start, is now nearing retirement and happily living with fellow detective inspector Lynn Kellogg.

But a Valentine's Day gang fight leaves a young girl dead and Lynn injured. And Charlie is called from his desk job to go back on the streets and help find the shooter.

The result is a fast-moving, dark look at life on th
Anne
Jan 12, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, adult
Mary Ronan Drew
Jul 16, 2012 Mary Ronan Drew rated it it was amazing

An extraordinarily good police procedural.

To read my review go to my blog at:

Joe
Jul 14, 2015 Joe rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This is the 11th Charlie Resnick adventure. Resnick is a police detective in Nottingham, England, who loves his jazz, sandwiches and cats. He is rumpled, somewhat of a loner, and not necessarily the brightest bulb with a badge, but he's persistent and usually gets his man. I am a big fan of this series which although dealing with the seamier side of the human condition, i.e. murder, is not violent and the books are more intellectual endeavors than action packed thrillers. So ten plus years ago w ...more
Bonnie
Jul 19, 2012 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Published in 2008 after Last Rites supposedly Charlie Resnick's last case, Cold in Hand continues the series. On Valentine's Day, the day of love, a dispute between rival gang members leaves a girl dead. Charlie is called back to the front line to deal with the fallout. He is living with Lynn Kellogg who was present when the girl was shot and the girl's father is blaming lynn saying she usedd the girl as a shield to save herself. The newly formed Serious and Organized Crime Agency investigates o ...more
Shonna Froebel
Nov 27, 2012 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DI Lynn Kellogg of Nottingham is on her way back from a hostage negotiation when she responds to an urgent call and wades into a fight. She is shot and injured as is a young woman, and another young woman is killed. The grieving father blames Lynn, and is vocal about it.
DI Charlie Resnick, Lynn's colleague and partner, is called on to assist with the murder case.
As Lynn recovers, she is called back on another case where a young woman and her child were killed, revisiting old ground in order to m
Beth Shapeero
Oct 12, 2011 Beth Shapeero rated it liked it
Cold in Hand

by John Harvey

A friend passed this police crime thriller (not my typical choice) onto me because it is set in Nottingham, where we both grew up. As most novels I read are not set in Nottingham (believe it or not), it was uncanny to read something where every setting mentioned, every shop, restaurant or location is somewhere I was really familiar with (not the massage parlour though). Harvey even mentions the cinema I worked in for seven years and one of the shootings takes place on a
Meredith
May 18, 2015 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I really enjoy John Harvey's writing, though I think Resnick does some very rash things that don't seem to go with the character of an experienced detective. I also wish I had read them in order, since important things happen in his life but I'm not keeping track very well.
Steve
Sep 20, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: police procedural & mystery readers
Recommended to Steve by: long-time fan of the author
Shelves: read-in-2008
Harvey is a mastery of the mystery; the best kind; the procedural that bleeds seamlessly into mystery and character study. I'd been hoping against hope for a new Charlie Resnick story, and I feel fortunate. That's not to say this isn't a difficult read sometimes, from an emotional perspective; there are bitter changes in this novel. But Harvey writes some of the most mature fully-formed adult mysteries, and this is no exception. Steeped in cats and jazz, introducing new characters, stretching fr ...more
Victoria Boylan
Oct 07, 2014 Victoria Boylan rated it it was ok
I found the book disappointing compared to other crime novels. The suspense, the desire to keep reading was just not there. Probably will not read any more Harvey books.
Emma Walker
Oct 16, 2012 Emma Walker rated it it was amazing
An emotional end to the Resnick series and I can't see there being anymore after this one. Reminded me of reading the last Inspector Morse book. I've thoroughly enjoyed the Resnick series though and having lived in Nottingham most of my life found it interesting to envisage streets and places that I no longer see every day having moved from the area. One of the few detective series where you are kept interested in all the main characters through all the books. The bits I shall fondly look back o ...more
MissJessie
This is an engrossing mystery, fairly dark, by one of my favorite authors.

Resnick, getting on toward retirement and just as non-conforming as always, has established a stable, loving relationship of the live-in variety with a younger officer on the force.

All is lovely until she becomes involved in the investigation of a murder at a "sauna", a/k/a/ massage parlor.

What happens next changes Resnick's life forever.

Full of the usual red herrings, conflict with authority and non-conformist activiti
Dawn
Jan 03, 2015 Dawn rated it really liked it
Really liked this. Looking forward to reading more.
Sally Holmes
Feb 14, 2016 Sally Holmes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
absolutely fantastic. I couldn't put it down.
Meg Lynch
Jan 15, 2015 Meg Lynch rated it liked it
#12. A very satisfying series.
Frieda Perry
Jun 15, 2014 Frieda Perry rated it liked it
I can see the end coming, which I understand is happening in the next Charlie Resnick book. I'm ready, I guess.
Krista
Aug 19, 2012 Krista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of Harvey's I have read . . . oops, completely out of order with the detective series (I never realized until later that it was a series). However, I was still able to jump right into the book & wouldn't mind going back to read some of the earlier books in the series. A great beach read that kept me guessing!
Cheryl
Aug 31, 2008 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
British police procedural writers don't come any better than this writer. This new book written ten years after the last in this series proves there was a lot more left for Charlie Resnick and the rest of the force in Nottingham to do. No need to retrace your steps this is a great place to start reading John Harvey.
Bookmarks Magazine
Jan 08, 2009 Bookmarks Magazine rated it really liked it
John Harvey has developed a formidable reputation over the years for delivering some of the best police procedural novels in Britain. Cold in Hand continues that legacy as Harvey brings back beloved detective Charles Resnick and once again paints a realistic portrait of the bleak situation facing Britain
Christianne
Feb 13, 2009 Christianne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
As always a great story, but this one is such a heartbreaker. Sometimes I think the Nottingham police have had more than their fair share of misery. I keep wondering if Resnick is back for a while now. It was sad when Harvey discontinued the series for a time.
Abholler
Nov 17, 2008 Abholler rated it really liked it
I do love John Harvey, although this isn't my favorite of his. The story is sad, and the crimes that are detailed aren't so interesting that the sadness doesn't prevail. I have read that Harvey says this is the last Charlie Resnick novel, and I hate to see it end.
Melissa McClintock
This is a good thick suspense, more than "mystery". The Resnick charachter is a down and out "retired' good cop so to speak. It reminded me of that old tv show "spenser for hire". If you like that type of realistic gritty hero drama, without intrigue, I'd recommend it.
Angela Paul
Aug 19, 2013 Angela Paul rated it it was amazing
A great book, sadly not how I wanted things to turn out. I feel that over the series we have all gotten to know Charlie so well and now when things seem so good for him he is left heart broken. I can't see why John Harvey is not more widely read.
A fantastic series.
  • The Price of Darkness (DI Joe Faraday, #8)
  • Death Toll (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine #3)
  • All the Colours of Darkness (Inspector Banks, #18)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Mark Tartaglia, #2)
  • Fell Purpose (Bill Slider, #12)
  • The Redeemed (Jenny Cooper, #3)
  • An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)
  • Skeleton Hill (Peter Diamond, #10)
  • Exit Music (Inspector Rebus, #17)
  • Blind To The Bones (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #4)
  • Blood Rain (Aurelio Zen, #7)
  • Burial
aka Jon Barton, William S. Brady (with Angus Wells), L.J. Coburn (with Laurence James), J.B. Dancer (with Angus Wells), John B. Harvey, William M. James (with Terry Harknett and Laurence James), Terry Lennox, John J. McLaglen (with Laurence James), James Mann, Thom Ryder, J.D. Sandon (with Angus Wells), Jon Hart

John Harvey (born 21 December 1938 in London) is a British author of crime fiction most
More about John Harvey...

Charlie Resnick (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Lonely Hearts (Charlie Resnick, #1)
  • Rough Treatment (Charlie Resnick, #2)
  • Cutting Edge (Charles Resnick, #3)
  • Off Minor (Charles Resnick, #4)
  • Wasted Years (Charles Resnick, #5)
  • Cold Light (Charles Resnick, #6)
  • Living Proof (Charles Resnick, #7)
  • Easy Meat (Charles Resnick, #8)
  • Still Waters (Charles Resnick, #9)
  • Last Rites (Charles Resnick, #10)