Cold in Hand (Charles Resnick, #11)

Cold in Hand (Charlie Resnick #11)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  388 ratings  ·  45 reviews
It's Valentine’s Day, and a dispute between rival gangs leaves a teenage girl dead.

Detective Inspector Charlie Resnick, nearing retirement, is hauled back to the front line to help deal with the fallout. But when the dead girl’s father seeks to lay the blame on Resnick’s partner, DI Lynn Kellogg, Resnick finds the line between the personal and the professional dangerously...more
Published September 15th 2008 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Cold in Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold in Hand

Eric_W
So what makes a good police procedural: authentic police techniques, good characterization, multiple plot lines, but not so many that they seem irrelevant, a believable resolution.

This, the 11th (?) Charlie Resnick meets all the criteria. You can read a summary of the plot in the publisher’s description. It’s accurate without giving away too much.

This was my first Resnick novel; it will not be my last. There was a shocker about halfway through the book that took me completely by surprise. That...more
Steve
A fitting, but also tragic end (probably) to a great crime series. In this chapter, Detective Inspector Resnick now has his thirty years in, so retirement looms. And things are looking good, since he’s settled in with a love interest, Detective Lynn Kellogg. Their nights together, talking shop, sharing a bottle of wine over dinner, while Charlie’s jazz cds play in the background, suggest a coziness that Resnick has long deserved. If you’ve followed the series, you’ll find all the things you love...more
LJ
COLD IN HAND (Police Proc-Charlie Resnick-England-Cont) – Ex
Harvey, John – 11th in series
William Heinemann, 2008, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 9780434016945

First Sentence: It was the curious time, neither day nor night, not even properly dusk, the light beginning to shorten and fade, the headlights of a few overcautious drivers raising a quick, pale reflection from the slick surface of the road, the main route back into the city.

DI Lynn Kellogg has been shot while breaking up a fight between girls in tw...more
Anne
Mary Ronan Drew

An extraordinarily good police procedural.

To read my review go to my blog at:

Bonnie
Published in 2008 after Last Rites supposedly Charlie Resnick's last case, Cold in Hand continues the series. On Valentine's Day, the day of love, a dispute between rival gang members leaves a girl dead. Charlie is called back to the front line to deal with the fallout. He is living with Lynn Kellogg who was present when the girl was shot and the girl's father is blaming lynn saying she usedd the girl as a shield to save herself. The newly formed Serious and Organized Crime Agency investigates o...more
Shonna Froebel
DI Lynn Kellogg of Nottingham is on her way back from a hostage negotiation when she responds to an urgent call and wades into a fight. She is shot and injured as is a young woman, and another young woman is killed. The grieving father blames Lynn, and is vocal about it.
DI Charlie Resnick, Lynn's colleague and partner, is called on to assist with the murder case.
As Lynn recovers, she is called back on another case where a young woman and her child were killed, revisiting old ground in order to m...more
Beth Shapeero
Cold in Hand

by John Harvey

A friend passed this police crime thriller (not my typical choice) onto me because it is set in Nottingham, where we both grew up. As most novels I read are not set in Nottingham (believe it or not), it was uncanny to read something where every setting mentioned, every shop, restaurant or location is somewhere I was really familiar with (not the massage parlour though). Harvey even mentions the cinema I worked in for seven years and one of the shootings takes place on a...more
Steve
Sep 20, 2008 Steve rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: police procedural & mystery readers
Recommended to Steve by: long-time fan of the author
Shelves: read-in-2008
Harvey is a mastery of the mystery; the best kind; the procedural that bleeds seamlessly into mystery and character study. I'd been hoping against hope for a new Charlie Resnick story, and I feel fortunate. That's not to say this isn't a difficult read sometimes, from an emotional perspective; there are bitter changes in this novel. But Harvey writes some of the most mature fully-formed adult mysteries, and this is no exception. Steeped in cats and jazz, introducing new characters, stretching fr...more
Emma Walker
An emotional end to the Resnick series and I can't see there being anymore after this one. Reminded me of reading the last Inspector Morse book. I've thoroughly enjoyed the Resnick series though and having lived in Nottingham most of my life found it interesting to envisage streets and places that I no longer see every day having moved from the area. One of the few detective series where you are kept interested in all the main characters through all the books. The bits I shall fondly look back o...more
MissJessie--former librarian
This is an engrossing mystery, fairly dark, by one of my favorite authors.

Resnick, getting on toward retirement and just as non-conforming as always, has established a stable, loving relationship of the live-in variety with a younger officer on the force.

All is lovely until she becomes involved in the investigation of a murder at a "sauna", a/k/a/ massage parlor.

What happens next changes Resnick's life forever.

Full of the usual red herrings, conflict with authority and non-conformist activiti...more
Frieda Perry
I can see the end coming, which I understand is happening in the next Charlie Resnick book. I'm ready, I guess.
Krista
This is the first book of Harvey's I have read . . . oops, completely out of order with the detective series (I never realized until later that it was a series). However, I was still able to jump right into the book & wouldn't mind going back to read some of the earlier books in the series. A great beach read that kept me guessing!
Cheryl
British police procedural writers don't come any better than this writer. This new book written ten years after the last in this series proves there was a lot more left for Charlie Resnick and the rest of the force in Nottingham to do. No need to retrace your steps this is a great place to start reading John Harvey.
Bookmarks Magazine
John Harvey has developed a formidable reputation over the years for delivering some of the best police procedural novels in Britain. Cold in Hand continues that legacy as Harvey brings back beloved detective Charles Resnick and once again paints a realistic portrait of the bleak situation facing Britain
Christianne
As always a great story, but this one is such a heartbreaker. Sometimes I think the Nottingham police have had more than their fair share of misery. I keep wondering if Resnick is back for a while now. It was sad when Harvey discontinued the series for a time.
Abholler
I do love John Harvey, although this isn't my favorite of his. The story is sad, and the crimes that are detailed aren't so interesting that the sadness doesn't prevail. I have read that Harvey says this is the last Charlie Resnick novel, and I hate to see it end.
Melissa McClintock
This is a good thick suspense, more than "mystery". The Resnick charachter is a down and out "retired' good cop so to speak. It reminded me of that old tv show "spenser for hire". If you like that type of realistic gritty hero drama, without intrigue, I'd recommend it.
Angela Paul
A great book, sadly not how I wanted things to turn out. I feel that over the series we have all gotten to know Charlie so well and now when things seem so good for him he is left heart broken. I can't see why John Harvey is not more widely read.
A fantastic series.
Mick Grant
Haven't read any Resnick novels for a long time. This is up there with the best. A great series, arguably better than the Rebus books. There is a genuine shock event two thirds in. If you haven't read any of the series don't start here.
Alfred Nobile
My first read by this author. Effortless reading. The character of Resnik is well drawn and this novel has a good supporting cast. This has made me want to read more by this author and learn more about this maverick cop Resnik.
Rob
I quite enjoyed this book, although I am not surprised that Inspector Resnick is retiring, he is like a bull in a China Shop. John Harvey's writing style is good and he does keep you interested, the ending was not what I expected.
Herzog
I'd forgotten how much I loved this series. I really missed Resnick. It probably wasn't such a bold stroke to kill of his love interest since the series is essentially over. Resnick's taste in jazz is similar to my own.
Dana Woodaman
If you like mysteries and haven't read John Harvey yet - run don't walk and grab this book, or any in the Charlie Resnick series. Gripping police procedural, engaging characters and very very English.
Rick Hollis
A very intelligent mystery. I read it several years ago but did not remember it until the pivotal event [you will know it when you come to it]. This is a good, well written serious of books.
Helena
Really enjoyed this book Typical male rather depressed detective working in a seedy part of Nottingham. The Nottingham tourist bureau will not be promoting his books Plots has twists and turns
Gavin
Better than previous Harveys I've read, but still pretty run-of-the-mill stuff. Christie, Hill, Sayers, Brown, Doyle, Robinson, Rankin and many more easily surpass this author.
Dawn
I really enjoyed this mystery, although I found the transition from the first half of the book, the set up, to the second half, the investigation, a little jarring.
stan
This is the first Charlie Resnick novel I have read ,and it certainty will not be the last . Brilliant in police procedure and cops DO bleed.
Patrice
An incredibly moving portrayal of grief, with a twist that just knocks you flat (especially if you've read the previous Resnicks...).
  • Dead to Me (Scott & Bailey, #1)
  • The Redeemed (Jenny Cooper, #3)
  • All The Colours Of Darkness (Inspector Banks, #18)
  • Good As Dead (Tom Thorne, #10)
  • Dancing with the Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2)
  • The Catch (Joe Gunther #19)
  • Close to the Bone (Logan McRae, #8)
  • Telling Tales (Vera Stanhope, #2)
  • The Coffin Trail (Lake District Mystery #1)
  • The Betrayal of Trust (Simon Serrailler, #6)
  • Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2)
  • Cold in the Earth (DI Marjory Fleming #1)
  • Good Morning, Midnight (Dalziel & Pascoe, #21)

aka Jon Barton, William S. Brady (with Angus Wells), L.J. Coburn (with Laurence James), J.B. Dancer (with Angus Wells), John B. Harvey, William M. James (with Terry Harknett and Laurence James), Terry Lennox, John J. McLaglen (with Laurence James), James Mann, Thom Ryder, J....more
More about John Harvey...
Lonely Hearts (Charlie Resnick, #1) Ash & Bone (Frank Elder, #2) Flesh & Blood (Frank Elder, #1) Rough Treatment (Charlie Resnick, #2) Darkness & Light (Frank Elder, #3)