Have I Got a Guy for You: What Really Happens When Mom Fixes You Up

Have I Got a Guy for You: What Really Happens When Mom Fixes You Up

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  28 reviews
What Really Happens When Mom Fixes You Up
Published June 1st 2008 by Polka Dot Press (first published January 1st 2008)

Amy
Nov 05, 2008 Amy marked it as to-read
I think I want to read this thanks Danielle and Emily.....

My mom called me last summer to drive down to the hospital to see my Grandma after she broke her hip. Ok mom I can do that. Mom: Oh yeah and by the way there is this really cute guy that is the grandson of the woman your grandmother is sharing a room with.... he is single and cute. So here goes the list of reasons why I should really come down to the hospital, he is soooo sweet with his grandmother. And of course our moms (his and mine) t...more
HeavyReader
For some reason, I really like to read books in the "bad dates" category. I think it makes me feel better that I am in the "no dates" category. Anyway, I picked up this book at the library the other day. As the title states, this one is about bad dates that ensue when women are fixed up by their mothers.

The stories are mildly funny. Nothing really laugh out loud.

I was really struck by how many in this collection made a big deal about men's height. I expect a certain type of woman to be focused o...more
Alea
Have I Got A Guy For You: What Really Happens When Mom Fixed You Up is a anthology of 27 stories of woman and their mothers who set them up on blind dates.

It's hard to give a summary since this is a anthology. So let's see some of my favorites involved Hindu Matrimonials, "Cousins", the Perfect Son In Law, and a live-action game of Dungeons and Dragons. For the most part this was a good natured look at blind dating. It was funny!

Most of these matches end up in mismatches. But I found myself ho...more
Danielle
I'm a sucker for short-stories, because they're just so easy to read. I finished this book in a couple of days, and was somewhat-to-moderately entertained the whole time. The writing wasn't impressive, but it wasn't so bad I had to close my eyes and count to ten before continuing. Most of the stories are pretty funny. I would have preferred a collection of just bad dates (who cares that it was your mom who set you up?), but all but of few of these were truly cringe-worthy date stories. I'm not s...more
kristine
kevin picked this up for me from the library so i'd have something new to read this past weekend--what is he trying to say to me? that i need to be set up with guys? that MOM set us up?

anyway, most of the stories were amusing, and i tried to overlook the typos (come ON, editor--were you asleep at the damn wheel?), but when kevin pointed out that EVERY story followed the same format (phone call from mom, resistance, acceptance, moment of truth at the door, reluctant attendance on the date, then d...more
Jess
An anthology of women set-up on bad dates by their mothers, this story is by women of various ages, cultural backgrounds and in different time periods. Whether its the twenty-something daughter of a demanding Jewish mother, a newly divorced daughter on a date with a very unexpected person or one woman who had to go through a very interesting convention, each story will give you something to laugh about. Most women have been there are some point or another and it's fun to remember, relate, and th...more
Jun 17, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lara
This is an entertaining look at the differences between the way moms and daughters view dating. Daughters are looking for someone compatible, and of course good-looking. Moms can be preoccupied with occupations and connections, without really thinking through the match.

These stories and well-told, and you really relate to the characters because the stories are true. Even if your mother has never tried to set you up, you can still relate to these ladies as their mothers try to find their daughter...more
Rochelle Jewel  Shapiro
Mar 21, 2008 Rochelle Jewel Shapiro rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is, ahem, a kind of ad. My essay, "You'll Have A Wonderful Life With Him" is in this just-out hilarious collection of mother's trying to fix their daughters up on blind dates. It makes a great Mother's Day gift or a gift to anyone in the single's world or who remembers what it was like being there. A number of the writers are stand-up comics. I'll be doing a reading from it on Monday: April 21st in Mahhattan at:
Telephone Bar & Grill
149 Second Ave (Bet. 9th & 10th Street)
(212) 529-5...more
RaiLynn
This was a different concept for me. Not being single, but moms actually trying to set up their daughters. All in all, it was pretty interesting reading all the (mostly) bad blind dates and it left me feeling overall grateful that I've not been set up on too many. I guess it makes sense, but it was still a little strange that almost all of the authors are Jewish and live in New York or Los Angeles. So maybe the mother as matchmaker is just something you have to worry about on the coasts?
Nari (The Novel World)
This entertaining collection of blind date war stories reads like a mix of Sex and The City meets Because I Said So. Have I Got A Guy For You, edited by Alix Strauss is a fun summer read, that tailgates the Sex and The City feel of big city dating frustrations, but throw into the equation moms who can’t distinguish decent from dorky and are desperate to see their daughters married off. There are 26 stories written by 26 intelligent published authors, recounting the days of dating disasters.
Holly
This book was a really fast read. It only took me about a day. It was rather interesting to read about the disastrous dates these women had to suffer through because of the arrogant mother's who took their own interest above their daughters. It also makes me really glad that my mother has never been selfish like that and reasserts my feeling that if she ever did try to interfere in my love life I would be forced to sever our relationship.
Diana
This book was hilarious! I have to admit I didn't finish reading it, but it's not because I didn't like the book. There were so many stories about the horrible dates these many women have been on. I got half way through it and they were just starting to get painful. I was starting to have sympathy pains. If you think you've ever had the worse date this collection of horrible blind dates will prove you wrong.
Krysia
Jul 29, 2008 Krysia added it
Recommends it for: teens and 20s who like to read about dating misadventures
Recommended to Krysia by: Mark, who saw the author on a morning program
Shelves: non-fiction
Some amusing dating anecdotes in a collection of essays written largely by daughters, in their late teens and twenties, who were set up on blind dates by their Jewish mothers. Wonder why the book was not marketed as such? The cover resembles your standard dating self-help book, e.g. He's Just Not that Into You. I'm not in marketing, but IMHO this is a marketing mistake.
Jessica
If you're looking for a book that will make you laugh, this is the one for you. The book is a collection of short stories about some horrible blind dates. My favorite one had to do with a D&D convention; it was so funny I had to read it to Chris who found it mildly amusing even though he was offended that I was reading the book in the first place :).
Liz
Oct 16, 2008 Liz rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who hate people
Recommended to Liz by: MaryBeth -- I'll never forgive you
You'd think a collection of my-mom-set-me-up-on-a-blind-date stories would be hilarious and poignant. Yeesh -- this was just awful. The vast majority of the stories were poorly-written, not engaging, the girls were unlikeable and no moral-of-the-story. This was so bad I left it on the plane.
Jessica
A random snag from the library-normally I like horrible date anecdotes, but almost every story read the exact same way. It's like I was reading the same chapter over and over again. Only a couple of the accounts made me smile, but mostly I was just yawning.
Michelle Edwards
Sasha
Some of the short stories were amusing but I have to admit that I had worse dating stories. :( I guess the only factor that makes it interesting was the fact that the women were set up by their mothers.
Heather
Sep 07, 2008 Heather rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
enjoyed a few stories, but then the author talked about some strange encounters and I didn't feel comfortable reading about and decided to not finish.
I would not recommend this book.
Allie M
Whether your mother sets you up or not, some dates are just plain bad, because some guys are just plain weird/crazy/etc. This was certainly a light read, but very entertaining.
VegasGal
Aug 12, 2008 VegasGal rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: humor readers, women, single women
Very funny stories of over zealous mothers trying to fix up their single daughters. Wow, what some women won't do to get the absolute right man for their precious daughters!
Jenni
A collection of stories about blind date setups by "concerned" mothers. This book is really funny and has a good mix of the terrible and the good behind mom setups.
Shelby
Dec 29, 2008 Shelby is currently reading it
I picked this as a total no-brainer book to read over the holidays. It is easy to start/stop, because each "chapter" is a different story.
Eden
This book sounded like it would be funny, but most of the stories were very predictable and not especially engaging.
Dana
I was expecting funny and entertaining stories, but was disappointed when I read this.
Jessica
THIS BOOK IS HILARIOUS! I loved it! Single ladies will especially enjoy it....some of these dates are almost unbelievable. I highly recommend it!
Nicole
hilarious.
PWRL
Sep 16, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
E
Kristen Palmer
Kristen Palmer marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Alix received a degree in Educational Theater from NYU, and has taught Fiction, Creative Writing, Personal Essays, and Writing for Magazines for the past fifteen years. She is the recipient of several awards and fellowships from programs such as the Wesleyan Writers Conference, the Skidmore College Writerʼs Institute, the Sarah Lawrence Summer Program, and the Squaw Valleyʼs Screenwritersʼ Summer...more
More about Alix Strauss...
Death Becomes Them: Unearthing the Suicides of the Brilliant, the Famous, and the Notorious Based Upon Availability The Joy of Funerals: A Novel in Stories Britney Spears: An Unauthorized Biography No Authority

“...I'm severely allergic to unsolicited monologue performances in public. While they don't cause sneezing or hives, when exposed, I do experience extreme and immediate vaginal dryness.” 1 likes