Start by marking “The Key: And the Name of the Key Is Willingness” as Want to Read:
The Key: And the Name of the Key Is Willingness

The Key: And the Name of the Key Is Willingness

These insights from many years of Zen meditation practice appeal to a wide range of spiritual traditions and explore topics such as the difference between process and content, notions of right and wrong, ending self-punishment, and taking responsibility for one's experiences. Perfect for beginning Zen students and for those interested in Buddhism in general or eastern reli ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Keep It Simple Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Key

Coyora Dokusho
Jul 14, 2014 Coyora Dokusho rated it it was amazing
Well, this book was so helpful!! I'm really glad I went back to the beginning of the books and started to read them one by one!
Aug 23, 2010 Margie rated it really liked it
Like many books on meditation, both simple and profound.
Feb 08, 2014 Renate rated it it was ok
This book reads like a collections of quotes that are carefully grouped. The passages ring true and deserve further thought. Huber poses some relevant questions to her readers.
But as a whole, the book has the well meant feel of a sprituality glossy: looks ok (although I personally think the lay out is quite childish), but is rather superficial.
Aug 23, 2015 Scott rated it it was ok
Cheri Huber’s blend of Zen Lite and self-help isn’t strong on depth. Her books make for easy reads, though. The subject here is acceptance as a road to happiness so if you’re looking for somebody to cheer you along that path, here’s Cheri.
Steve Woods
Aug 16, 2014 Steve Woods rated it really liked it
A deceptively simple little book, the format might give them impression that it is overly simple. It does however contain the esence of buddhist teachings about Right Thought. It is put in such a way that anyone can use it, it would be to my mind very usefl for young people who might start to correct the idiocy that our society presents to them as reality. A good little book for daily readings just to renmind oneself about the negative programming most of us carry and the point the way to an alt ...more
Oct 22, 2015 Rene rated it liked it
Simple but good reminders. A quick read. Since reading it, I've been finding myself repeating the mantra that I took away from it: "Accept what is!" Lost a couple stars for me only because I enjoy more intense, deep, psychological and/or philisophical readings and Huber's style is more simplistic and fundamental.
Jul 18, 2013 Susie rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, fiftyfiftyme
It's not the strongest Cheri Huber book as at times it feels abstract and hard to understand what she's talking about, but I always get something out of reading her books. It's like getting the best possible advice and reassurance from your best friend.

My critical eye for design wishes all her books weren't handwritten! I think she could really broaden her audience and distract less from the content by making it easier to read. But, I accept it for what it is!
Aug 23, 2010 NK rated it really liked it
This is a pretty though-provoking book. It discusses wants, needs, shoulds, happiness, etc. It is a very easy read since it's pretty short but it's also kind of deep at the same time. It just seems like this is something everyone should read & put to good use. i really found it helpful & know that down the road I will pull this book out & read it again just so I can be reminded of how to really put the important things into perspective.
This a good accompaniment to meditation, unless you are advanced in your practice, in which case you might already intuitively understand the book's contents. I see how the book could also benefit introspective non-meditators: it does well on the intellectual level, too.
Oct 20, 2011 Earl rated it it was amazing
I love all Cheri Huber's books. Written in a friendly, handprinted font, with cute doodle pictures, this book (and others from her) is approachable, digestible, and accessible, even if you are closed down and struggling for equanimity. An ideal author to open up to.
Oct 16, 2012 Isabelle rated it it was amazing
I can never get enough of Cheri Huber's books. Every page is a gem. And I love the last page, where at the bottom, it is written: "( continued on page 1)". Like we are for ever learning this stuff....
Jo Anne
Similar to "There is Nothing Wrong With You," I believe that the lessons of this book will be slow to sink in and that my rating will increase as I have more time to digest this text.
charlotte Phillips
amazing book. I’d like to give a copy to everyone I know. Small book that could really be a big first step in welcoming peacefulness in anyone’s life.
Nice book to pick up whenever you need an attitude adjustment or another way of thinking about something.
Steve Wilson
Aug 10, 2011 Steve Wilson rated it really liked it
This light little book reminds us to be willing to accept life as it is.
Sep 05, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I think I need to read this book every day. Simple, yet profound.
Alex marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Stephen Phillips
Stephen Phillips marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Saber marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Mais marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Marty marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Jen marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Dominicjones rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Carol marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Gil Patricia Machado
Gil Patricia Machado is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Shelley Coughlin
Shelley Coughlin rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Harshit Aggarwal
Harshit Aggarwal marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Sandra added it
Aug 12, 2016
Meaganrossin marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
  • Feeding Your Demons: Ancient Wisdom for Resolving Inner Conflict
  • A Gradual Awakening
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • Nothing Special
  • Toward a Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal and Spiritual Transformation
  • Eight Steps to Happiness: The Buddhist Way of Loving Kindness