Start by marking “Bone Soup” as Want to Read:
Bone Soup

Bone Soup

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Known across the land for his infamous appetite, Finnigin is never seen without his eating stool, his eating spoon, and his gigantic eating mouth.
When Finnigin finds himself in a new town on Halloween, he hopes to join a great feast with the creatures who live there. But not a body or soul will share any of their food with the ever-famished Finnigin. So what’s a hungry ske
Published September 8th 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Bone Soup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Soup

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainRoom on the Broom by Julia DonaldsonScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
Best Halloween Picture Books
80th out of 235 books — 307 voters
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodThe Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldThe Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan PoeCat's Eye by Margaret AtwoodThe Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
Body parts in book titles
137th out of 627 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Books Ring Mah Bell
A Halloween take on Stone Soup. A cute little skeleton with a very big appetite manages to get all sorts of ghastly ingredients from the ghouls to make his magic "bone soup". We are talking bat wings, eyeballs, toenails... EXACTLY what Campbell's was thinking when they came up with the "mmmmmmm mmmmmm good" slogan!

The artwork is great, the story is cute and not too scary.

My four year old is warped enough to enjoy the story, and I enjoyed it enough to read it to him 5 times in a row!

(By the end o
An Abundance of Books
Most children know the story "Stone Soup", so I always tell my students that the author took "Stone Soup" and Halloween-ized it, giving us Bone Soup. Kids generally like the premise, the great monsters, the icky monster food, and the luminous illustrations.

Finnigin is known far and wide as "The Eater", and a penniless one at that. One Halloween he's traveling in a lovely barren land looking for a Halloween Feast. A witch on her broomstick sees him and races home to warn the other monsters in the
Brad
I've been a fan of Stone Soup since I was a little kid, so I consider myself something of a connoisseur of Stone Soups. The yummiest I've ever tasted is John J Muth's sumptuous feast of Stone Soup set in feudal China.

Bone Soup, though, is like a disappointing chocolate cake dessert. You know that big gooey multiple layer cake you order at the end of a meal? You expect it to come warm, with the chocolate oozing out of the layers and the cakieness melting on your tongue. You expect a perfectly pip
Dolly
Oct 24, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Entertaining and somewhat spooky Halloween-themed take on the classic story, Stone Soup. The illustrations are cartoonish and not at all scary and the narrative is fun to read aloud. It's a good book for Halloween and we enjoyed reading it together.
Lobstergirl
Quality, detailed, engaging illustrations. A hungry little ghoul with an enormous appetite goes in search of food, but no one wants to share.
Kathy
I've been reading this one to my second grade library students since it came out and it's become one of my favorites. It's a Halloween version of the old folktale, Stone Soup. I love the quirky main character, Finnigin the Eater. When he comes to town looking for a Halloween feast he is turned away by the selfish towns-creatures who fear that he will eat all of their food. He begins to make a soup with just his magic bone and some boiling water and...you know how this will go. The illustrations ...more
Meghan Hunt
This is a fabulous and seriously gross retelling of the folktale "Stone Soup". The characters are witches, zombies, mummies, etc., so this would be a particularly good book for Halloween.
Elizabeth Crispino
We read this every year as part of our genre unit with 2nd grade - we discuss traditional tales and compare this story to Stone Soup. It's such a fun story!
Clacie
Even though this kind of grossed out grown up me, kid me can see why my boys thought it was cool.
Jennifer Parker
I was surprised at this book. It is a Halloween twist of the modern tale of the "Stone Soup" story.
Kim
My 4 year old son loves this book.
Teri
Fun, bold illustrations. Finnigan is a cute little skeleton, although the food he is craving is yucky (in my opinion). It is a Halloween feast he wants, eyeballs, bat wings, frog legs, etc. Finnigan is a clever little guy. Great book to add to our Halloween collection.

I am glad I read some reviews on this book. It is a Halloween version of a classic book called, "Stone Soup." I have to say, I have never heard of it. Just added another book to my to read list.
Andrea Wilkinson
Spooky Halloween twist on the classic tale, "Stone Soup." I like the illustrations and the way Finnigin, the main character, is always prepared with his eating stool, eating spoon, and his eating mouth when he travels across the "lovely, barren land." The "Eater" is smart and eventually gets all the ghoulish creatures in the town to willingly give up their bat wings, stewed eyeballs, etc. for the betterment of the magical bone soup!
jennifer
This is a ghoulish retelling of Stone Soup. Finnigan is a little creature known for his enormous appetite. When he arrives in town, none of the other monsters will share their food with him until he tricks them into adding eyeballs and bat wings to his bone soup.
A quick tale suitable for young children, but I bought it because the cover is adorable.
Elaine
Tacie Wright
We picked this book up from the library this week. It is an adorable spin-off of the classic Stone Soup tale done up right to include all that gross stuff my boys love to squeal about right now! Good lesson, fun artwork and even a little rhyming! This book was great!
Brittany
This book is about a spooky guy who moves from town to town feeding himself. I mostly found this book to be disturbing: the main character himself and then the way he deceived everyone to get what he wants. Too many words for me too.
Christen
I don't add children's books, unless I really enjoyed them (we read so many, it would get out of control!).

The Salt Lake Tribune recommended this book and it was a cute story. It was a fun Halloween twist on the story Button Soup.
babyhippoface
Story of Stone Soup with monsters instead of soldiers and villagers. Pretty cute, and kids will love the disgusting ingredients (dried mouse droppings? eewwww). Terrific for a compare/contrast lesson around Halloween.
Ubalstecha
A lovely Hallowe'en themed variation on the Stone Soup story. All of the monsters are very cute, making it accessible to the youngest reader. My son loves this so much that we are going to buy him his very own copy.
David Reamer
One of my son's all-time favorite books. We got a lotta, lotta reads from this one. Delightfully funny and a little bit icky, easy to do a few voices when you read, which is nice for little ones.
Alex Galarza
Finnigan the Eater is searching for a Halloween Feast, but all the ghouls for miles around have heard of this horrible eating abilities and hide their food. But Finnigan has a plan.
Agnes
Great version of the classic stone soup tale with a little Tim Burton-esque spin to it. Ghoulish details like bat wings, stewed eyeballs etc. make it a fun reading for the kids.
Susan
A Halloween take-off of Stone Soup. Eating eyeball soup was a little creepy for me, but it would definitely appeal to a kid who was into gross and disgusting things.
Iamaby En
-even though it's a bit long, the story and the potential for using different character voices might make it interesting enough to capture short attention spans
Amanda Davidson
Genre: Fantasy
Copyright: 2008

This is a spin off of Stone Soup with a Halloween twist! I liked it, but I didn't think it was that entertaining.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
A great Halloween twist on the classic Stone Soup Story. Loved the illustrations and the ick factor works well too. A New favorite of mine.
Liza Gilbert
A great non-creepy story for the younger set. The story has a nice message about sharing with enough of the spookiness to go over well at Halloween.
Kim
Halloween version of stone/nail soup with fun, ghoulish illustrations

themes: cleverness, food, Halloween, monsters, skeletons, soup
Tessa
Apr 24, 2009 Tessa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: jfic
Ghoulish version of Stone Soup that describes its protagonist as always carrying an "eating mouth" around with him. Love it.
  • Ghosts in the House!
  • Goodnight Goon: a Petrifying Parody
  • The 13 Nights of Halloween
  • The Hallo-wiener
  • Little Goblins Ten
Cambria Evans studied graphic design at Rhode Island School of Design, and now works as a freelance illustrator, writer and designer in Brooklyn, New York. Cambria loves all things Halloween, and celebrates everyday by eating plenty of candy. She shares a studio with her husband Kari Christensen who is also an illustrator."
More about Cambria Evans...
Martha Moth Makes Socks Part-time Princess The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories from the Second Grade Stuey Lewis Against All Odds: Stories from the Third Grade