Start by marking “The Secrets: Volume One: The Other Statue” as Want to Read:
The Secrets: Volume One: The Other Statue

The Secrets: Volume One: The Other Statue

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Gathered for the annual charity fete at Backwater Hall in Mortshire, the host Lord Wherewithal is dead, Horace Gallop cavorts with Victoria Scone, and someone has offended decorum by disembowelling a stuffed thisby belonging to the Earl of Thump.
Hardcover
Published November 1st 2002 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets

Michael
I'm not sure how long my flirtation with Edward Gorey's works is going to last. With The Other Statue and The Epiplectic Bicycle I have been mildly amused, but not captivated. His illustrations are good, but not so outstanding that they carry me away and make up for the sparse text and lack of any discernible plot. I think I can probably make the effort for one one more of his books, but if that doesn't grip me then Mr Gorey and I shall part company, but hopefully on reasonably good terms.

Update
Christopher
Out of all the Edward Gorey books I've read so far, I think THE OTHER STATUE is among the finest and wittiest. Published in 1968, it is similar to most of Gorey's works from this era, but the humour is even more droll than usual and the characters amusingly named. Moments of great significance and total unimportance are juxtaposed in a hilarious manner.

No one reads Gorey for the plot alone, as the pen and ink drawings hold most of the charm, but a summary may be of interest. Like Gorey's first n
Benja
A Gothic fête is brought to a halt by murder most foul in these series of creepy-yet-lovely vignettes drawn and captioned by Edward Gorey. There's a sort of hypnotic understatement in many of them: suspicious characters are just on their way out, scenes are revisited with subtle changes to them, mysteries are posited but never quite solved, something seemingly trivial is duly noted by the narrator, etc. The word I'm looking for is "ominous".
Daniel
An unsolvable macabre mystery. Perfect
Icats
May 14, 2008 Icats rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
It is worth reading for the characters' names alone, Miss Underfold, Earl of Thump, Marquess of Wherewithal, his aunt, Lady Isobel Stringless, Dr. Maximilian Belgravius, Fenks the butler, Mr. MacAbloo and others. Was the statue that crushed Lord Wherewithal blown from the parapet or pushed? And who took his beloved Lisping Elbow made of wax?
Jeff
The Other Statue is a somewhat average Edward Gorey work, filled with his familiar trappings of faded Victorian splendor and vague intrigue. The artwork is certainly up to snuff, but the incomplete tale (indications are that Gorey planned a sequel) leaves the reader a bit unfulfilled. Good fun, but not one of Gorey's best works.
Polly
How I love Edward Gorey! And this is one of his finer efforts: beautifully crazy names (yet no crazier than many real ones)--Lady Isobel Stringless, St Clot in the Maladroit Islands, random and sinister occurrences, and of course, fabulously ominous art to illustrate it all!
Jeremy
On of my favorite Edward Gorey stories. It's so peculiar yet normal - everything he lists is exactly what happened in the order it happens, and yet all the interesting stuff is left to us to imagine.

Plus his drawings are brilliant, and so evocative.
David
An Edward Gorey masterpiece. Maybe my favorite book of his. It's everything you could possibly want in a Edward Gorey book. Perfection.
treus
Jul 25, 2014 treus rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art, humor
Probably my favorite Gorey story, with a great setting: a gothic mansion, desolate fields at dusk, and a foiled soiree.
SmarterLilac
Beautifully illustrated, with an inscrutable plot. Maybe it was supposed to be satire?
Lindsay
A perfect unsolvable Victorian mystery with Gorey's lovely drawings and enigmatic prose.
Jessica
Apr 01, 2013 Jessica added it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Interesting and confusing at the same time.
Stephanie
Just bought this at Books of Wonder in NYC
catharine
I love the illustrations.
Cedric
Cedric marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Anna-karien Otto
Anna-karien Otto marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Marisol
Marisol marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Melissa Langlois
Melissa Langlois marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Sarah78
Sarah78 marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
  • Elegant Enigmas: The Art of Edward Gorey
  • The Twelve Terrors of Christmas
  • The Treehorn Trilogy: The Shrinking of Treehorn, Treehorn's Treasure, and Treehorn's Wish
  • Elephant House: Photographs of Edward Gorey's House
  • Chas Addams Happily Ever After: A Collection of Cartoons to Chill the Heart of Your Loved One
  • The Strange Case of Edward Gorey
  • Everything That Creeps
  • Wondermark, Vol. 1: Beards of Our Forefathers
  • The Doré Bible Illustrations
  • Freshwater: A Comedy
Born in Chicago, Gorey came from a colorful family; his parents, Helen Dunham Garvey and Edward Lee Gorey, divorced in 1936 when he was 11, then remarried in 1952 when he was 27. One of his step-mothers was Corinna Mura, a cabaret singer who had a brief role in the classic film Casablanca. His father was briefly a journalist. Gorey's maternal great-grandmother, Helen St. John Garvey, was a popular ...more
More about Edward Gorey...
The Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works, #1) Amphigorey Amphigorey Too Amphigorey Also The Doubtful Guest