Start by marking “The Secrets: Volume One: The Other Statue” as Want to Read:
The Secrets: Volume One: The Other Statue

The Secrets: Volume One: The Other Statue

Gathered for the annual charity fete at Backwater Hall in Mortshire, the host Lord Wherewithal is dead, Horace Gallop cavorts with Victoria Scone, and someone has offended decorum by disembowelling a stuffed thisby belonging to the Earl of Thump.
Hardcover
Published November 1st 2002 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets

Erin Britton
May 21, 2017 Erin Britton rated it it was amazing
Set during the annual garden party at Backwater Hall in Mortshire, The Other Statue follows the investigations of Doctor Belgravius and his nephew Luke Touchpaper as they attempt to discover who killed Lord Wherewithal and stole the priceless family heirloom, the Lisping Elbow. Out of all the dubious characters to be found at the garden party, who could be responsible? The clergyman, Reverend O. MacAbloo? Horace Gallop? The governess, Miss Underfold? Miss Quartermorning? A gypsy selling Orphobis ...more
Christopher
Jul 20, 2007 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Out of all the Edward Gorey books I've read so far, I think THE OTHER STATUE is among the finest and wittiest. Published in 1968, it is similar to most of Gorey's works from this era, but the humour is even more droll than usual and the characters amusingly named. Moments of great significance and total unimportance are juxtaposed in a hilarious manner.

No one reads Gorey for the plot alone, as the pen and ink drawings hold most of the charm, but a summary may be of interest. Like Gorey's first n
Michael
Jun 21, 2015 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: humour, illustrated
I'm not sure how long my flirtation with Edward Gorey's works is going to last. With The Other Statue and The Epiplectic Bicycle I have been mildly amused, but not captivated. His illustrations are good, but not so outstanding that they carry me away and make up for the sparse text and lack of any discernible plot. I think I can probably make the effort for one one more of his books, but if that doesn't grip me then Mr Gorey and I shall part company, but hopefully on reasonably good terms.

Update
Amanda
Jul 22, 2015 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this after a long day, so perhaps I wasn't at my highest mental clarity when I did so. But the point of this seemed lost to me.

I truly enjoy most of Gorey's work and his art is always wonderful (as it was here), but this just seemed bad to me. I understand wanting to let things to the reader's imagination, but this just seemed like he wanted to get away with writing as little as possible.

Benja
Mar 25, 2015 Benja rated it really liked it
A Gothic fête is brought to a halt by murder most foul in these series of creepy-yet-lovely vignettes drawn and captioned by Edward Gorey. There's a sort of hypnotic understatement in many of them: suspicious characters are just on their way out, scenes are revisited with subtle changes to them, mysteries are posited but never quite solved, something seemingly trivial is duly noted by the narrator, etc. The word I'm looking for is "ominous".
Icats
May 14, 2008 Icats rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
It is worth reading for the characters' names alone, Miss Underfold, Earl of Thump, Marquess of Wherewithal, his aunt, Lady Isobel Stringless, Dr. Maximilian Belgravius, Fenks the butler, Mr. MacAbloo and others. Was the statue that crushed Lord Wherewithal blown from the parapet or pushed? And who took his beloved Lisping Elbow made of wax?
Jeff
Nov 11, 2011 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Other Statue is a somewhat average Edward Gorey work, filled with his familiar trappings of faded Victorian splendor and vague intrigue. The artwork is certainly up to snuff, but the incomplete tale (indications are that Gorey planned a sequel) leaves the reader a bit unfulfilled. Good fun, but not one of Gorey's best works.
Polly
How I love Edward Gorey! And this is one of his finer efforts: beautifully crazy names (yet no crazier than many real ones)--Lady Isobel Stringless, St Clot in the Maladroit Islands, random and sinister occurrences, and of course, fabulously ominous art to illustrate it all!
Jeremy
Mar 04, 2008 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2008
On of my favorite Edward Gorey stories. It's so peculiar yet normal - everything he lists is exactly what happened in the order it happens, and yet all the interesting stuff is left to us to imagine.

Plus his drawings are brilliant, and so evocative.
David
Apr 26, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
An Edward Gorey masterpiece. Maybe my favorite book of his. It's everything you could possibly want in a Edward Gorey book. Perfection.
Jessica
Dec 17, 2012 Jessica added it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Interesting and confusing at the same time.
catharine
Apr 01, 2007 catharine rated it liked it
I love the illustrations.
Kate
Great for when the opening credits to "MYSTERY!" don't last long enough. Which is always.
Mireille Messier
Nov 15, 2016 Mireille Messier rated it really liked it
I could look at Edward Gorey's work for hours and never get tired of it. So clever! Not sure I understood the story, but that's a minor detail.
SmarterLilac
Jan 09, 2012 SmarterLilac rated it liked it
Beautifully illustrated, with an inscrutable plot. Maybe it was supposed to be satire?
Stephanie
Apr 14, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Just bought this at Books of Wonder in NYC
treus
Jan 11, 2014 treus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, humor
Probably my favorite Gorey story, with a great setting: a gothic mansion, desolate fields at dusk, and a foiled soiree.
Tacodisc
May 18, 2016 Tacodisc rated it really liked it
Mmmmm orphobismic lozenges...
Lindsay
Feb 09, 2013 Lindsay rated it really liked it
A perfect unsolvable Victorian mystery with Gorey's lovely drawings and enigmatic prose.
Daniel
Apr 19, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing
An unsolvable macabre mystery. Perfect
THOMAS MCKEARN
THOMAS MCKEARN rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Lukas Evan
Lukas Evan rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2013
Kira
Kira rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2013
Amy R
Amy R rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2009
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2011
Kate Cherry
Kate Cherry rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2012
Suzy
Suzy rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2015
Cerapearl
Cerapearl rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Carolyn Johnson
Carolyn Johnson rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2009
  • Donald Has a Difficulty
  • Elegant Enigmas: The Art of Edward Gorey
  • Elephant House; or, the Home of Edward Gorey
  • Hauntings: Tales of the Supernatural
  • 12 Terrors of Christmas
  • The Treehorn Trilogy: The Shrinking of Treehorn, Treehorn's Treasure, and Treehorn's Wish
  • Chas Addams Happily Ever After: A Collection of Cartoons to Chill the Heart of Your Loved One
  • Cautionary Tales for Children
  • Boris and Bella
  • Anatomy Of A Rose: Exploring The Secret Life Of Flowers
  • Freshwater: A Comedy
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
Born in Chicago, Gorey came from a colorful family; his parents, Helen Dunham Garvey and Edward Lee Gorey, divorced in 1936 when he was 11, then remarried in 1952 when he was 27. One of his step-mothers was Corinna Mura, a cabaret singer who had a brief role in the classic film Casablanca. His father was briefly a journalist. Gorey's maternal great-grandmother, Helen St. John Garvey, was a popular ...more
More about Edward Gorey...