Start by marking “The Aristocrat ” as Want to Read:
The Aristocrat

The Aristocrat

What would an American football star do if he suddenly found himself an English lord? It wasn't something pro quarterback Brant Asher had ever bothered to think about --until the day he learned of his inheritance. He was now Viscount Asherwood, heir to an English estate, and a whole lot of trouble.

Brant had inherited the obligation to marry Daphne, charitably described to
Mass Market Paperback, 234 pages
Published December 1st 2005 by Mira Books (first published September 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Aristocrat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aristocrat

Jen Mays
Jun 19, 2013 Jen Mays rated it it was ok
Brant Asher is a professional American football player who discovers that he's inherited an English estate and the title that goes with it. Of course, there are stipulations to accepting the inheritance, including marrying a distant cousin, Daphne, who has been reported to be unattractive (a "dog" is how Brant refers to her many times). If he doesn't agree to the marriage, he loses the inheritance, Daphne becomes essentially penniless, and everything goes to spoiled and selfish cousin Lucilla, ...more
Bookswithbenefits
Jan 31, 2013 Bookswithbenefits rated it liked it
Best Moment: When Daphne is cursing Brant. I really love her litany of curses and her musing about which is the best one to describe him.

Worst Moment: When Brant describes Daphne, unknowingly to her face, as a "double bagging dog." It's not just an uncomfortable moment...but...really makes it difficult to feel sympathy for Brant and to eventually love him.

Synopsis: Brant Asher is a professional American football player...and then, unexpectedly, he also becomes a British Lord. Daphne Asherwood is
Sam Kozbial
Nov 10, 2016 Sam Kozbial rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I checked this out of the library, because I love sports romances and viscount part sounded like a bonus. The innocent naive trope is not one of my favorites, but I liked Daphne despite that. Brant was a true alpha, but it was funny, because he was so much more tame than the ones you read in more contemporary romances (this was written in the 80s). The book is on the shorter side, which probably contributed to how rushed parts of the story felt.

Overall: A cute read, not bad, not great, but defi
Vicki Ballante
Apr 22, 2015 Vicki Ballante rated it really liked it
*spoiler alert*

It was such fun delving into the world of an 80s romance. I was actually surprised how sexy it was. Of course, I was in school in the 80s and forbidden to read such things, so I had no idea of books such as this one. I could tell that some of the British ignorance was because of the time-period of the book. I think British people nowadays are much more aware of the American culture and pop culture. It added to the tension and opposites attract part of the book and really made it a
Deni
Jan 30, 2015 Deni rated it it was ok
Преди няколко дни попаднах на доста заглавия на любовни романи в библиотеката на chitanka.info. Сред тях видях и първите заглавия, които съм чела от жанра в тийнейджърските си години. Стана ми едно такова, носталгично, и реших да си ги препрочета, ей така, заради доброто старо време. Определено не е една от най-блестящите ми идеи. Вместо да си кажа "ето, едно време романите наистина бяха по-добри!" се усещам как се държа за главата и се чудя на глас "и аз някога съм считала това за добро?!" :D ...more
Josephina
This book is...meeeeh. The premise isn't anything too remarkable. The main problem is that the book is really dated. It was written in 1986, but I can't believe even back then, Brits were THAT clueless about American slang (although some of it was pretty obscure). Still, when the heroine asked what football is - not even confusing it with soccer - it broke me. She is such a nitwit.

It's short and a really quick read. So if you're looking for something you can breeze through in a few hours and you
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember this one! This one stuck in my mind because of the playboy thinking he would be stuck with a fugly unwanted woman. The cultural mishaps were funny. Of course Daphne is aptly called the ugly duckling. Frustrating American boy who thinks he is hot stuff. And a much put upon English Rose. Of course sparks are going to fly and it is fun.
Carolyn
Jul 12, 2014 Carolyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is ok. The monetary figures, sports names and color TV references do date it a bit. Mostly he is a jerk and treats her like a child.

In other news, I think today's publishers would freak out, because the POV changes repeatedly throughout paragraphs and chapters. I don't mind this, but a big deal has been made about this lately so....
Josephine
I loved the premise, I'm a huge fan of sports romances. However, the writing style was frustrating and didn't work for me. There was too much headswapping (my ultimate pet peeve), an abundance of exclamation marks, and the dialogue was unrealistic and stilted. Sadly, this was a DNF for me.
Macwolf01 [Elise]
This book was for the Author of the month challenge, started late last night so picked the shortest of the 3 Catherine Coulter books. It wasn't bad, a pleasant waste of time. Will read the other 2, both were released more recently.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it liked it
flat characters... the basic plot was good but the book was too short to really develop some of the conflict. the resolution was really fast and somewhat farfetched. it was an enjoyable quick read though.
Dawn
Jun 17, 2016 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern
Brant is an American professional football player who inherited an English manor that comes along with a shy new bride. This is the story of Daphne's struggle to find out who she is and Brant's journey to balance and love.
Lady Lioness
I was in the middle of a really long review about the various ways I found the book to be dated, with an emphasis on word choices, as well as the fact you cannot create a will that makes marriage a condition of a money settlement, when the app on my iPad crashed. Review gone. Bah. Humbug.
Kat
Feb 24, 2013 Kat rated it it was ok
I've read several other Coulter books, and usually she's a great author, but this one was pretty bad. I couldn't even finish it! My recommendation is that if you still want to try this book, at least get it from the library! I was definitely glad I did, so I didn't waste my money! Happy reading!
Courtney
Apr 22, 2011 Courtney rated it really liked it
Although I liked the book the main characters somewhat annoyed me, but that probably helped make it seem more real. Daphne was sheltered and ignorant about the ways of the world and Brant was a jock and could be a speak before you think hot head.
Lesli
Sep 10, 2013 Lesli rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2005
Typical 80s contemporary romance. If you like CC, you might like this. All the dialogue and setting is dated (as can be expected).
Virginia
Aug 10, 2013 Virginia rated it really liked it
Read this years ago ... but I still remember it as one of my favorite romances...one of the books that got me hooked on romances.
Kate
Jul 13, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: girly-books
I picked this book off of a clearance rack not knowing what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. I can't wait to read another Coulter book.
Jun 28, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
Loved it, picked this up at my local library whilst I was looking for another book. I love books with American Football in and this was really entertaining.
Diane Schueller
Diane Schueller rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2013
Karla Black
Karla Black rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2015
Mary Ann
Mary Ann rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2014
Lorelie
Lorelie rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2008
Janèle
Janèle rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2015
C
C rated it did not like it
May 29, 2014
Cathy Cutter
Cathy Cutter rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Natalie Morehouse
Natalie Morehouse rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2011
Beth Haas
Beth Haas rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
Bell Hotleiza
Bell Hotleiza rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Rose Mary
Rose Mary rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2012
  • Impulse
  • Scion's Lady (Gil Trilogy, #2)
  • Warrior
  • Touch Me with Fire: A Novel
  • So This Is Love (The Mackinnons, #4)
  • Eye of the Tiger
  • The False House (Evenmere #2)
  • Steve's Story (Circle of Friends, #2)
  • Hearts of Chaos
  • River Lady
  • Heat of the Knight (Knights, #8)
  • A Fire in the Heart
  • The Sword of Knowledge (Sword of Knowledge, #1-3)
  • The Sheikh's Revenge (Harlequin Presents #1604)
  • The Right to Arm Bears (Dilbia, #1-2)
  • The White Horse
  • Tamara's Spirit (Corralled #2)
  • Rico (Rock Creek Six, #3)