Start by marking “Aristocrats: Caroline, Emily, Louisa, and Sarah Lennox, 1740-1832” as Want to Read:
Aristocrats: Caroline, Emily, Louisa, and Sarah Lennox, 1740-1832

Aristocrats: Caroline, Emily, Louisa, and Sarah Lennox, 1740-1832

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,134 ratings  ·  59 reviews
A fascinating insight into 18th century aristocratic life through the lives of the four Lennox sisters, the great grandchildren of Charles II, whose extraordinary lives spanned the period 1740-1832. Passionate, witty and moving, the voices of the Lennox sisters reach us with immediacy and power, drawing the reader into their remarkable lives, and making this one of the mos ...more
Published November 30th 1995 by The Noonday Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Aristocrats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aristocrats

John Adams by David McCullough1776 by David McCulloughThe Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinThe Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer
Best History Books
354th out of 1,603 books — 1,499 voters
Georgiana by Amanda ForemanLady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by Fiona CarnarvonThe Perfect Summer by Juliet NicolsonBess of Hardwick by Mary S. LovellTo Marry an English Lord by Gail MacColl
Nonfiction Books on the Aristocracy and High Society
22nd out of 157 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
There are so many ways to sell/reasons for me to push this book, it absolutely boggles the mind:

-First and foremost and easiest for both the scandalmongers among us (and really, if we're honest, which one of us isn't, at least a little? :)), all these words, adjectives and happenings are involved in this book, probably many times over: an illegitimate line of the bastard children of kings, arranged marriages... that turn out to be fairy tale romances, forbidden courtships, scandalous secret marr
Margaret
Aristocrats is a brilliant group biography of a family of noble sisters during the Hanoverian period in England. The Lennox sisters were great-granddaughters of Charles II (through his mistress Louise de Keroualle), daughters of the Duke of Richmond, and wives and mothers to politicians and peers, but also fascinating people in their own rights.

All their lives they wrote letters voluminously, to each other and to other family members, and it's these letters that Tillyard uses in her reconstruct
Wealhtheow
Jan 16, 2009 Wealhtheow rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: liz
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: Kelly
This is the story of four daughters of the second Duke of Richmond. Great-granddaughters of King Charles II, wealthy, titled, and intimate with the political leaders of the realm, the Lennox sisters were envied by many and watched by all. Their story lasts almost a century; it "begins in 1744, as the Jacobites were planning their last, desperate assault on the Hanoverian throne, and ends in 1832, five years before the beginning of the Victorian Age." The eldest, Caroline, eloped and became a ric ...more
Wow. This is a fabulously good biography, one of the best I've ever read--erudite but juicy, and irresistibly readable from start to finish. A combination of the writing and the subjects themselves made it so amazing to me; these four Lennox sisters are just ridiculously interesting, every one of them intelligent, passionate, sympathetic and flawed in their own diverse ways. And yet, I've read biographies before of figures who are just as appealing, that still somehow failed to leap off the page ...more
Caroline
"Remember the Ladies!", as Abigail Adams once enjoined her husband - but so often of course history fails to. All of these women played significant roles in Georgian history, but at most they are footnotes in their lives of their male relatives - the Duke of Richmond, the Duke of Leinster, Lord Holland, Lord Edward Fitzgerald, Charles James Fox. History remembers these names, but not those of Sarah, Emily, Louise and Sarah Lennox.

So this book was an absolute joy to read. Stella Tillyard delves i
Brett
So I'm obviously both a complete history nerd & a bit of an Anglophile. I still strongly feel that this book could prove fascinating to someone who is neither of those things: the letters written between the four Lennox sisters & to their other family members reveal a world that is simultaneously surprisingly similar to our own & just enough different to be almost jarring at times.
The beauty to me here is the fact that, in history, you just don't tend to hear much from women, aristo
Amy Masonis
If you want to be there, read their letters. Letters had form, when letters were written, as Stella will describe. As in any art form, there is room to diverge, and write that "this is what I should say, but this is how it is". These sisters do that like any of us would. Letters were a sort of newspaper then, so when they have an addition to be read by the recipient alone, then THAT'S the good stuff. Details, details.

Another good part is how the sisters live politics through their husbands. Not
Gabriella
It is a really amazing and interesting book. I've always loved reading about English history I especially like historical novels or bibliographical ones and this book fulfilled all my wishes.
Apart from the life of the four sisters we can have a glimpse into politics, society, religion, everyday life, classes and military life.
A must-read for those who like me love history and beautifully written narratives.
Marina
Aristocrats it’s a biography centered around the lives of the Lennox sisters, but it is also a succesful portrait of a certain political and aristocratic sphere from the second half of the 18th century in the UK. Grand-daughters of one of the illegitimate sons of Charles II with Louise de Kérouaille, Cecilia (1723-1774), Emily (1731-1814), Louisa (1743-1821) and Sarah (1745-1826), proved that women could have as interesting lives as any man.

What is more appealing of these sisters lives is not on
Siria
Aristocrats is a biography of the four Lennox sisters - Caroline, Emily, Sarah and Louisa, the daughters of the second Duke of Richmond, and prominent members of the nobility in eighteenth century England and Ireland. One married a duke and later an impoverished tutor, and had twenty two children; one married one of the most famous politicians of the eighteenth century; one married the richest man in Ireland; one divorced a baronet, and ended up happily married to an impoverished Scottish soldie ...more
Girl with her Head in a Book
The Lennox sisters were great-granddaughters of Charles II, they referred to Bonnie Prince Charlie as 'our cousin' - they make the Mitford sisters look like Little Women. The BBC screened a magnificent series back in 1999 which is still available via Youtube. The last of the Lennox girls died barely a decade before the dawn of the Victorian era - they were witnesses to a world that shifted on its axis and they were at the very centre of the drama - their varied lives offer privileged insights in ...more
Enid
non fiction/history
A wonderful account of a remarkable family which encompasses life in Ireland and England,notable wel known historical figures include Charles James Fox and the early Whigs.The family lived at Goodwood so there is a local element. and this ties in with "Mapping a nation" since it was a Lennox who encouraged and financed some of the early Ordnance survey work.
June Louise
What an amazing story about the Lennox sisters! Elopements, adultery, countless children (especially in Emily's case!), politics and wars - it's all there - and throughout all these events the sisters stick together. It's an extremely interesting historical book; Tillyard has done extremely well relating this family's history from letters and diaries into story form.

Have a slight (ok, a major) issue with the characters beginning to experience "old age" when they approach forty. It doesn't make m
Barbara
A fascinating account of the lives of these four women. I really enjoyed seeing this period in history from their point of view, rather than from the view of politicians and generals and other history makers.

I was a little disappointed that the author managed to make all four women seem thoroughly unlikeable.
Judy
Must admit I often find history books hard to take in, but this fascinating, well-researched account of the lives of four aristocratic sisters reads almost like a novel, and is very hard to put down. So many letters and diaries are quoted that their individual voices come across vividly.
Tillyard also tries to give a feeling of what life was like for the servants of these women, although unfortunately we don't have any of their papers.
I'd say this is even better than 'Citizen Lord', by the same
Jessica
I love this book. For it's size and story I would consider it an easy and enjoyable read. This book is the true life story of the Lennox sisters. This story is beautifully put together by Stella Tillyard who compiled the sisters' letters to piece their lives together. Although the sisters lived a life considered ordinary for aristocrats, their life was anything but ordinary. Two elope, one was the object of a King and one extended family member led the Irish revolution. This story is almost too ...more
Apr 18, 2008 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jennifer by: Tweedy
Shelves: biography
I was surprised at how much I liked this book. I'd seen the miniseries and was lent the book by a neighbor. It's fat and I didn't think it would be all that interesting. The author does a good job of stringing the sisters together into one story. The only real problem was that I found the time line hard. Occasionally the story went back in time and I was pulled out of the story. Still, it was an interesting peak into a time period and women's lifes.
Katie
This is my SECOND time reading this book---and I loved it. The Lennox sisters lived extraordinary lives (during the latter half of the 1700s to the 1820s), and fortunately for us, their letters survived. Tillyard crafts a wonderful biography of the four sisters---Caroline, Emily, Louisa, and Sarah---who seem so much like women I know, yet they are different with their large houses, servants, meetings with the King, and long trips to the Continent.
Milli
Tillyard writes well, with vivid details and a great narrative voice ... which is the only reason this book gets two stars. The topic at hand -- the biographical account of the lives of four aristocratic women living in England in the late 18th and early 19th centuries -- is handicapped by its very nature, and even Tillyard has trouble bringing the reader to care (even a little) about the lives of these four women.
Joana Starnes
I have found a great deal of details regarding the workings of a late 18th - early 19th century country house, including the componence of the household; where were various groups of servants supposed to have their meals; the duties and interests of some of the 'ladies of the house' etc.

Haven't finished it yet (although it might be saved under 'read') and I'm still unable to rate it, but I highly recommend it.
Fiona
Wonderful historical account of the lives of 4 upper-class English sisters who married some of the most influential men of their day. Painstakingly researched and detailed, makes the period in English history come alive and tells the oft untold tale of the role and place of women. Of course, the fact I read this while on a 6-week trip through Europe with my now husband probably enhanced the reading!
Nicole
I read this book about 15 years ago and kept circling back to the period n my reading so I thought I would read it again to refresh my memory. The women of this period were anything but dull ciphers. There personal and political mingle with the scandals. Well worth re-reading. I would give it four stars but the time frames skip around so much it was frequently hard to keep track of things.
Bonnie G
This is a wonderful kind of history in that it is based on letters, but reads like a novel. The four sisters are endlessly fascinating in their unpredictability. They grew up in the mold of privilege, but broke it in many places while staying true to each other. I'm glad the author focused on the women in the family rather than the men who were famous in their own milieux.
Kate Bundy
I learned five times as many things from this book as I do from most of my reading. The home lives of aristocratic women in the eighteenth century are fascinating, but the same things that make them so also become a little overwhelming in reading. The intense exploration of the minutiae of their lives can get a little tiresome. A book best read in segments.
Nell
This is one of those books I feel as if I ought to have enjoyed more than I did, though I don't have any fault to find. It is quite readable, well researched, and gives a clear picture of daily life in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. And for all their privilege, the sisters weren't immune from family disagreements and sorrows. I just didn't connect.
Lissa Chandler
This non-fiction work, though sluggish towards the middle, reads more smoothly than almost any other history book I have ever read. Perhaps it is because the subject matter is so intriguing, but Tillyard creates a strong narrative, stringing the lives of these four sisters along in a linear, straight forward matter that is easily digested.
Michelle
I loved this book so very much. It feels so real like you really get to know them. Their personalities really come through and it's just like you are among friends and talking with them. The mini-series "Aristocrats" that was done did a wonderful job with the story as well. They are both well loved and do not gather dust on the shelves.
Theresa
A charming and lucid biography of the Lennox sisters, as famous in their day as any Disney pop star of today. It's packed with drama of forbidden courtships, elopements, entanglements with royalty, political upheaval, ambition -- really, drama on both a grand and intimate scale, which is probably why the story is so compelling. Highly recommended.
Susanne
Excellent, excellent, excellent. Ninety years in the life of 4 sisters 1740-1832. An story of family life in the aristocracy--4 sisters who kept in touch and all of their letters remain accessible. A stunner; recommended to those interested in the history of feminism. A page turner,too. Highly recommended. Entertaining.
Caroline
Apr 21, 2008 Caroline marked it as half-read-graveyard
I wanted to get through it, I really did. But there were too many Sarahs and Elizabeths, and suitors and husbands. I couldn't keep it straight!

But the book is a masterful piece of interdisciplinary research and writing. I wish more of my "work" books were like it...except perhaps a bit shorter.
  • Privilege and Scandal: The Remarkable Life of Harriet Spencer, Sister of Georgiana
  • The Gentleman's Daughter: Women's Lives in Georgian England
  • Perdita: The Literary, Theatrical, Scandalous Life of Mary Robinson
  • Charlotte & Leopold: The True Story of The Original People's Princess
  • The Courtiers: Splendor and Intrigue in the Georgian Court at Kensington Palace
  • Princesses: The Six Daughters of George III
  • Ungrateful Daughters: The Stuart Princesses Who Stole Their Father's Crown
  • Sisters of Fortune: America’s Caton Sisters at Home and Abroad
  • Court Lady and Country Wife: Two Noble Sisters in Seventeenth-Century England
  • A Scandalous Life: The Biography of Jane Digby
  • The Lady in Red: An Eighteenth-Century Tale of Sex, Scandal, and Divorce
  • An Uncommon Woman - The Empress Frederick: Daughter of Queen Victoria, Wife of the Crown Prince of Prussia, Mother of Kaiser Wilhelm
  • Mrs. Jordan's Profession: The Actress and the Prince
  • A Royal Passion: The Turbulent Marriage of King Charles I of England and Henrietta Maria of France
  • Madame de Pompadour: A Life
  • Nell Gwyn: Mistress to a King
  • The Secret History of Georgian London: How the Wages of Sin Shaped the Capital
  • Madame de Pompadour
Stella Tillyard is a British author, best known for the best-selling Aristocrats: Caroline, Emily, Louisa and Sarah Lennox, 1740-1832 which was made into a BBC Miniseries in 1999.

Stella Tillyard studied at Oxford and Harvard Universities, and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. She has taught at Harvard, UCLA, and the University of London. For long periods she has lived in the United St
More about Stella Tillyard...
A Royal Affair: George III and His Scandalous Siblings Tides of War Citizen Lord: Edward Fitzgerald, 1763-1798 Aristocrats - The Illustrated Companion to the Television Series The Impact of Modernism, 1900-1920: The Visual Arts in Edwardian England