Start by marking “Olivia Helps with Christmas” as Want to Read:
Olivia Helps with Christmas

Olivia Helps with Christmas (Olivia)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  3,890 ratings  ·  117 reviews
Everyone's favorite Caldecott honor-winning pig and #1 Santa enthusiast is helping to make the season brighter than ever.

Christmas is coming, and Olivia is incredibly busy. She has to wait for Santa, make sure dad sets up the tree, wait for Santa, watch mom make the Christmas dinner, wait for Santa, oversee the care with which the stockings are hung and, of course, OPEN HE
Published October 2nd 2007 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Olivia Helps with Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olivia Helps with Christmas

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
40th out of 671 books — 914 voters
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreBear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma WilsonThe Snowman by Raymond Briggs
Favorite Christmas Picture Books
39th out of 233 books — 92 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
I think I liked this one even better than Oliva's debut. Such grand humor! (I love the part when the dad wants to build a fire in the fireplace on Christmas eve, Haha! And Olivia's mini tree was especially amusing since I'd just read "Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree") Any fan of Olivia needs to spend Christmas with her! If you haven't met her yet, what better time to start?
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: September 14th, 2014

Author: Ian Falconer

Title: Olivia Helps With Christmas

Plot: Olivia is very excited about Christmas and all of the presents she will receive from Santa. Meanwhile, she helps her family by decorating the tree, arranging Christmas lights and preparing Christmas Eve dinner.

Setting: Olivia's House; Christmas time

Characters: Olivia, Ian, William, Olivia's mom and dad

Point-Of-View: Third-Person

Theme: Christmas

Style: Black-and-white illustrations with green, and red hints thro
Stephanie
Hilarious. Though my enjoyment was somewhat marred by the behavior of my (momentarily) horrible children who absolutely could not (or would not) control themselves. Laughing is great, but really, they took it to an entire other level...
Callie Risse
This is just as cute as the original Olivia book. My favorite part is when she cuts the top off of the Christmas tree to make a small, tabletop tree. Children will love listening to this story in December.
Tam
Olivia is a funny, little pig and this book is fun for children and adults! My boys (ages 4 & 8) both love this book.
RC
Olivia returns in an entertaining Christmas tale. She is trying to be a big help to her family as they prepare for Christmas - shopping, setting the table, decorating the tree and building a fire - and wait for Santa. Olivia is getting impatient though as her and her brothers continue to be on Santa watch. Olivia fans will love this holiday tale of the famous little pig.
Athena
This book has lots of jokes that mom said were "over my head," but I still liked the book. One thing that was interesting was how there was a photograph for the view outside of a window, but the rest of the page was illustrated, and in another picture it was like a collage with Olivia and a photo of a boy ballerina.
Amanda Funnell
Olivia has yet to fail me! It positively cracks me up! Her personality is tangible, and she is realistic to students (and adults) everywhere!
Not to mention, why must all Christmas books be boring or solemn? Instead, increase the seasonal joy and laughter.
Liz Todd
Just precious. I hope I'll remember to read this one at Christmas to my class. Lots of mentions of Christmas traditions. And the illustrations---just HILARIOUS. Love the tiny little tree that Olivia "makes" for the dinner table.

Sarah Sammis
I thought we had read all of the original Olivia books but then Harriet found Olivia Helps with Christmas by Ian Falconer at the library. In a rare (for us) bit of coordination we read the book just before Christmas.

It's Christmas Eve and Olivia and her brothers are anxious for things to start. In her enthusiasm to speed things along she takes things to her usual extremes, including harvesting part of the Christmas tree for the table decoration.

The book has Falconer's usual limited pallet, with
Katie
I have to admit, Olivia cracks me up - probably because I was a lot like Olivia when I was a child. I read this to my daughter, she loves Olivia
Janet
I gave it four stars, but my son thinks it's really amazing.
Allison Wine
Olivia is my all time favorite pig. Her stories were my favorite growing up. The humor in which each story holds keeps you interested and wanting to read more. Each of Olivia's stories are relatable to children and adults everywhere.

In this story, Olivia brings Christmas to life. Christmas should not be boring, so open up this book and find out what Olivia does to keep it interesting!
NixLapi
I adore reading Olivia books to my daughter, but this will sadly not be getting re-read. More a collection of winter activities than a continuous storyline, I found it quite jumpy and disjointed. Without the usual Olivia appeal.
Nivi Krishnakumar
This is a great book to do a lesson on predicting. We can use this book to ask our students questions like: what do you think the character will do next. This book also is a great read-aloud to read to any grade level. These books are also wonderful to do a character study activity since there are many Olivia books and students can come up with many different things Olivia likes to do, etc. Great book for talking being helpful and kind to your classmates and teachers, etc.
Amie
We love Olivia and this one is the best yet. Made me tear up thinking of all the holiday traditions we had in our family and the new ones to come now that I have children. This one is a little more sentimental and has a bit less mischief and mayhem but it's still a phenomenal, beautiful book for kids. You know it's a good read when your 2.5 year old gets papercuts and the book all bloody on the first day she has it because she's read it about 50 times in a row.
Snorkle
This is a comical little book. I enjoyed reading the crazy antics of rambunctious Olivia. Although, at times, I felt Olivia was maybe a tad bit too energetic (where does a little piglet get hold of a saw I might wonder). But overall, I found myself amused by this story and would probably recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Jeffrey
I took two of my grandsons (ages 6 & 9) into the local Barnes and Noble and we opened up the Olivia books. We just roared with laughter and I thought we were going to get thrown out because of our general hysteria. I was probably the worst offender! Olivia is priceless because her antics can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. Always a unique and witty page-turner.
Christy
Everyone's favorite Caldecott honor-winning porcine and #1 Kris Cringle enthusiast is helping to make the season brighter than ever. Christmas is coming, and Olivia is incredibly busy. She has to wait for Santa, make sure dad sets up the tree, wait for Santa, watch mom make the Christmas dinner, wait for Santa, oversee the care with which the stockings are hung and, of course
Josiah
This book contains of all of the revelatory humor that makes Olivia such a fun character to read about again and again, and combines this with the unique feeling that comes from a Christmas picture book. Ian Falconer definitely shows his writing skills here, and delivers another good read. I would give one and a half stars to Olivia Helps With Christmas.
Aimee
We just go thisi as a gift yesterday, and though I was unsure if my 3-year-old would sit still for it and get all the jokes, he laughed through the whole thing (and certainly I was laughing to the point of snorting). I have yet to meet an Olivia book that dissapoints and this is no exception. What a great book to own and to give as a gift to children of any age.
Ami
Olivia can drive me to distraction occasionally (she's far too human for a pig and very reminiscent of one of my offspring.) However, this Christmas picture book was funny and entertaining. And I am now convinced that maracas are a fabulous Christmas present.
Patricia
I really love Ian Falconer's Olivia stories. I didn't get a chance to use this Spanish version in class, so I don't know how the students would react. Olivia, as a story, seems like it would appeal more to younger students, but there's a lot of language in this book, so it might be more appropriate for older (5th grade+) students of Spanish.
Kathleen
What I thought and what my granddaughter thought are two different things. She seems to be quite enamarmed with Olivia. My granddaugther is 8ys old and reads chaper books. This book has very few words and lots of pictures of a "cute" pig.I think she has had these books since she has been young and they are some sort of comfort, who know?
Ashley
Funny, funny, funny. I haven't read more than a couple other Olivia books, but this one was the most memorable for me so far. Olivia is fun and feisty, but her parents also have personality, which you don't often see in kids' books. We'll definitely read this again and again every Christmas. It made our whole family giggle.
Sandie
I love the Olivia character and its fun to read these books with my daughter as she enjoys Olivia so much (she is watching it on Noggin right now actually)!

As you might guess this book is about Olivia's Christmas. I enjoy the interaction between the siblings and love the end when the presents arrive! Such a cute book.
Christine
If you need a break during this busy holiday season, take a moment to read to a child. Olivia is feisty and imaginative and will give you a chuckle no matter how many times you read this one. She reminds you of the anticipation you used to feel as the days to Christmas are being counted down.
Jen
Those of us who are parents have all had our little ones try to "help" with Christmas things and they don't always turn out the best. Olivia makes many attempts to help with Christmas things that don't always work out, but the reader can enjoy a laugh or two with her attempts.
Meredith
Good grief, I love Olivia. This time around, it's Christmas Eve, and Olivia, in her usual style, "helps" the family get ready to celebrate. It just about as awesome as you might think. Throw in a really fabulous Nutcracker dream, and you've got a pretty fabulous book.
Lisa
This is the new Christmas book we got this year - it's so funny! We love Olivia at our house!
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Olive, the Other Reindeer
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • The Christmas Quiet Book
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • Dream Snow
  • Snowmen at Christmas
Ian Falconer is the author and illustrator of all the titles in the bestselling Olivia series: Olivia, Olivia Saves the Circus,Olivia...and the Missing Toy, and Olivia Forms a Band. His illustrations have also graced many covers of the New Yorker. In addition, he has designed sets and costumes for the New York City Ballet, the San Francisco Opera, and the Royal Opera House (Covent Garden), among o ...more
More about Ian Falconer...
Olivia Olivia And The Missing Toy Olivia Saves the Circus Olivia Forms A Band Olivia and the Fairy Princesses (Olivia)