Start by marking “Olivia Helps with Christmas” as Want to Read:
Olivia Helps with Christmas

Olivia Helps with Christmas (Olivia)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  5,004 Ratings  ·  149 Reviews

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 10/1/2007 Pages: 58 Reading Level: Age 3 and Up
Published October 1st 2007 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Olivia Helps with Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olivia Helps with Christmas

Jessica
Nov 30, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
How have I not reviewed this before? This is one of our all time favorite Christmas books! Olivia is at the height of her awesomeness at Christmas, and my daughter reads this book happily all year long!
Kaethe
22 February, 2009

Olivia is so very helpful. Although the greatest charm of the first book was the exchange with her mother at the end. And her sandcastle.
Kathryn
Dec 07, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
I think I liked this one even better than Oliva's debut. Such grand humor! (I love the part when the dad wants to build a fire in the fireplace on Christmas eve, Haha! And Olivia's mini tree was especially amusing since I'd just read "Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree") Any fan of Olivia needs to spend Christmas with her! If you haven't met her yet, what better time to start?
Stephanie
Dec 10, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Hilarious. Though my enjoyment was somewhat marred by the behavior of my (momentarily) horrible children who absolutely could not (or would not) control themselves. Laughing is great, but really, they took it to an entire other level...
Callie Risse
Dec 08, 2011 Callie Risse rated it it was amazing
This is just as cute as the original Olivia book. My favorite part is when she cuts the top off of the Christmas tree to make a small, tabletop tree. Children will love listening to this story in December.
Tam
Mar 11, 2011 Tam rated it really liked it
Olivia is a funny, little pig and this book is fun for children and adults! My boys (ages 4 & 8) both love this book.
Twinkle
Dec 02, 2016 Twinkle rated it really liked it
This book is my first introduction to Ian Falconer’s Olivia, and at first I was not quite sure what to make of it. Having read it to my daughter a few times I have really come to appreciate the humour, although I think a lot of it goes over her head. Her favourite bit is “when Olivia feeds blueberry pie to her baby brother and makes him vomit”, so I guess that tells you what our level is ;-)
The pull-out pages are an interesting device and again I thought they were a bit unnecessary at first but
Miranda Middleton
Olivia is a very cute and charming little character. I like this book because she portrays the attitude of what a typical child would on christmas eve.

I would use this book around Christmas time. I could ask my students about their family Christmas traditions. :)
Rommel Sison
Feb 12, 2017 Rommel Sison rated it liked it
6-year-old daughter: 4 stars
4-year-old daughter:
Adrianne Rosal
Sep 25, 2016 Adrianne Rosal rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness totally love this story. I found this one for a dollar at a yard sale and so happy I grabbed it!! Olivia is ever mothers big helper!!!
Breon Randon
I picked up this book on a whim while perusing our local library for holiday books that my girl would like. I knew her cousin was obsessed with Olivia- I only thought her dress was adorable :) anywho Abby was a bit reluctant to embrace the teeny piglet at first. To be fair, it was a bit more wordy than her typical board book. Then we got to the GLLOOOOOORIA part- and Abby was sold. It was a slow burn but I will forever be thankful to the author for the time spent singing Xmas Carols with my todd ...more
Rosa Cline
Sep 14, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas-santa
Just like most young children Olivia and her brother couldn't wait for Christmas Eve. They helped decorate the tree and Olivia did it as only Olivia could. Christmas day was enjoyable and shared just like Olivia could do it for her family.
Katya Vinogradova
This is a great holiday read for your children, although reading it to an entire class, like we're doing in our library, can be tricky. The illustrations, while great as always, sometimes tend towards the miniature side making it difficult for a group of kids to see. But it's perfect to share with your children, while cuddling under a blanket or sitting by the fireplace.
Olivia is a beloved character, so you already know what to expect from one of these books. In this one, kids can recognize thei
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: September 14th, 2014

Author: Ian Falconer

Title: Olivia Helps With Christmas

Plot: Olivia is very excited about Christmas and all of the presents she will receive from Santa. Meanwhile, she helps her family by decorating the tree, arranging Christmas lights and preparing Christmas Eve dinner.

Setting: Olivia's House; Christmas time

Characters: Olivia, Ian, William, Olivia's mom and dad

Point-Of-View: Third-Person

Theme: Christmas

Style: Black-and-white illustrations with green, and red hints thro
Sarah Sammis
Oct 31, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it liked it
I thought we had read all of the original Olivia books but then Harriet found Olivia Helps with Christmas by Ian Falconer at the library. In a rare (for us) bit of coordination we read the book just before Christmas.

It's Christmas Eve and Olivia and her brothers are anxious for things to start. In her enthusiasm to speed things along she takes things to her usual extremes, including harvesting part of the Christmas tree for the table decoration.

The book has Falconer's usual limited pallet, with
Melissa Dwyer
Jun 02, 2015 Melissa Dwyer rated it it was amazing
Rated E by Virginia Lambeth
This holiday book is truly laugh-out-loud hilarious. Of course, Olivia’s “help” adds a wee bit more liveliness to the Christmas scene, whether she is decorating the tree, helping with dinner or repeatedly getting soot on her snout as she checks the fireplace chimney for signs of SC. Once again, Olivia takes charge, both before and after the holiday. This delightful story ends with another dream sequence as she is dancing in the Nutcracker. Falconer adds green to his us
Amie
Dec 10, 2007 Amie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
We love Olivia and this one is the best yet. Made me tear up thinking of all the holiday traditions we had in our family and the new ones to come now that I have children. This one is a little more sentimental and has a bit less mischief and mayhem but it's still a phenomenal, beautiful book for kids. You know it's a good read when your 2.5 year old gets papercuts and the book all bloody on the first day she has it because she's read it about 50 times in a row.
Joy
Oct 13, 2015 Joy rated it liked it
My five year old picked this out on the library's website (and then was disappointed when she found out it was inter library loan and wouldn't arrive for a week). She was so excited to read it when it did finally arrive.

Olivia the pig is getting ready for Christmas with her family. She tries to be very helpful (even though most times she is not) and the book ends with the pig family enjoying their Christmas.
Nivi Krishnakumar
Apr 09, 2012 Nivi Krishnakumar rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to do a lesson on predicting. We can use this book to ask our students questions like: what do you think the character will do next. This book also is a great read-aloud to read to any grade level. These books are also wonderful to do a character study activity since there are many Olivia books and students can come up with many different things Olivia likes to do, etc. Great book for talking being helpful and kind to your classmates and teachers, etc.
Dec 19, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
This is a comical little book. I enjoyed reading the crazy antics of rambunctious Olivia. Although, at times, I felt Olivia was maybe a tad bit too energetic (where does a little piglet get hold of a saw I might wonder). But overall, I found myself amused by this story and would probably recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Allison Wine
Olivia is my all time favorite pig. Her stories were my favorite growing up. The humor in which each story holds keeps you interested and wanting to read more. Each of Olivia's stories are relatable to children and adults everywhere.

In this story, Olivia brings Christmas to life. Christmas should not be boring, so open up this book and find out what Olivia does to keep it interesting!
Taryn
Apr 18, 2016 Taryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I would include this book in my elementary classroom library because it has lovely illustrations, a humorous story line, and an enjoyable plot. Olivia anxiously waits on Santa Claus, but gets into a few silly antics along the way. Children could relate to Olivia's spunky personality and fearlessness to be herself.
Josiah
Nov 29, 2009 Josiah rated it did not like it
This book contains of all of the revelatory humor that makes Olivia such a fun character to read about again and again, and combines this with the unique feeling that comes from a Christmas picture book. Ian Falconer definitely shows his writing skills here, and delivers another good read. I would give one and a half stars to Olivia Helps With Christmas.
RC
Dec 03, 2014 RC rated it really liked it
Olivia returns in an entertaining Christmas tale. She is trying to be a big help to her family as they prepare for Christmas - shopping, setting the table, decorating the tree and building a fire - and wait for Santa. Olivia is getting impatient though as her and her brothers continue to be on Santa watch. Olivia fans will love this holiday tale of the famous little pig.
Aimee
Dec 17, 2007 Aimee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
We just go thisi as a gift yesterday, and though I was unsure if my 3-year-old would sit still for it and get all the jokes, he laughed through the whole thing (and certainly I was laughing to the point of snorting). I have yet to meet an Olivia book that dissapoints and this is no exception. What a great book to own and to give as a gift to children of any age.
Kathleen
What I thought and what my granddaughter thought are two different things. She seems to be quite enamarmed with Olivia. My granddaugther is 8ys old and reads chaper books. This book has very few words and lots of pictures of a "cute" pig.I think she has had these books since she has been young and they are some sort of comfort, who know?
Jess
Apr 13, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it
December 2016 - I think we read this last year, but it didn't make an impression on Ben. This time he loved it - watching out the window, looking for Santa, cutting the top off the tree, having trouble falling asleep. For whatever reason, Olivia's baby brother receiving booties for Christmas sent him into hysterical laughter.
Patricia
I really love Ian Falconer's Olivia stories. I didn't get a chance to use this Spanish version in class, so I don't know how the students would react. Olivia, as a story, seems like it would appeal more to younger students, but there's a lot of language in this book, so it might be more appropriate for older (5th grade+) students of Spanish.
Jeffrey
Dec 10, 2012 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
I took two of my grandsons (ages 6 & 9) into the local Barnes and Noble and we opened up the Olivia books. We just roared with laughter and I thought we were going to get thrown out because of our general hysteria. I was probably the worst offender! Olivia is priceless because her antics can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. Always a unique and witty page-turner.
Sandie
Oct 12, 2010 Sandie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I love the Olivia character and its fun to read these books with my daughter as she enjoys Olivia so much (she is watching it on Noggin right now actually)!

As you might guess this book is about Olivia's Christmas. I enjoy the interaction between the siblings and love the end when the presents arrive! Such a cute book.
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • Auntie Claus
  • The Dolls' Christmas
  • It's Christmas, David!
Ian Falconer is the author and illustrator of all the titles in the bestselling Olivia series: Olivia, Olivia Saves the Circus,Olivia...and the Missing Toy, and Olivia Forms a Band. His illustrations have also graced many covers of the New Yorker. In addition, he has designed sets and costumes for the New York City Ballet, the San Francisco Opera, and the Royal Opera House (Covent Garden), among o ...more
More about Ian Falconer...

Olivia (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Olivia
  • Olivia Saves the Circus
  • Olivia's Opposites
  • Olivia Counts
  • Olivia and the Missing Toy
  • Olivia Forms A Band
  • Dream Big: Starring Olivia
  • Olivia Goes to Venice
  • Olivia and the Fairy Princesses (Olivia)
  • Teatro Olivia