Start by marking “Are You Really Going to Eat That?: Reflections of a Culinary Thrill Seeker” as Want to Read:
Are You Really Going to Eat That?: Reflections of a Culinary Thrill Seeker

Are You Really Going to Eat That?: Reflections of a Culinary Thrill Seeker

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  22 reviews
From the top of the Blue Mountains of Jamaica for the perfect cup of coffee to the jungles of Thailand for an encounter with the abominably smelly “stinkfruit,” Robb Wals has traveled the globe, immersing himself in some of the world’s most interesting culinary phenomena. In Are You Really Going to Eat That? Walsh offers a collection of his best essays over the past ten ye ...more
Published November 2nd 2004 by Anchor (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Are You Really Going to Eat That?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are You Really Going to Eat That?

Jessica
I saw this book for sale at Building 19 (where they often have lots of good books cheap!) and couldn't resist picking it up. Afterall, it isn't often that I meet a food-related book that I don't enjoy. This collection of columns were mostly previously published in newspapers and journals. The essays focus on food experiences Walsh had while travelling. At each of the places he went he tried to ingest something that was unique to that locale...from the hottest of hot peppers, to the durian fruit, ...more
Heather
This book - a collection of the author's previously published articles from various magazine and newspaper sources - was one that was recommended to me based on my reading selections from an online book database. Although I, myself, am not an adventurous eater or cook, I love learning about food and its origins, or about other people's ventures into the culinary world.

It took me awhile to read this entire book, mostly, I think, because it's set up that way. It's not a novel or a complete story;
Karen Deyle
So many writers are just that, culinary thrill seekers. Like Andrew Zimmern, Anthony Bourdain, ...oh look - I ate Durian. Ick. Putrid fish in Russia.

Walsh starts with the same premise, but digs deeper, unearthing the meaning behind the food, and the context in community. I particularly liked a chapter about eating the food of a prison cook, a man who learned to cook in prison, who is a frequent writer to culinary magazines, but who will never own a restaurant on the outside.

The roots of food a
Peter
This book has really compelled me to eat and try new foods. Reading this book makes me want to eat cabrito,some of that shellfish soup and some of those juicy rare burgers. The book is really easy to read and doesn't have to many challenging words so you don't have to re-read a certain chapter to understand what the author is trying to say. He has very impressive orgainizational skills, but the thing I didn't like about this book is that halfway into it, the articles after that follow the same p ...more
Ellen
Okay, not great. He travels the world (mostly North & Central America) and eats food. A predictable amount of exoticism and authenticity-fetishism. Many of the essays end with related recipes, which is cute. Some amount of the "look at the unfamiliar ingredients this food uses," but not as much as you might expect from the cover.
Chris Crowley
Probably a misleading title, especially if you have already read Bourdain or Steingarten. Basically a collection of well written food articles that the author has published over the years. It's the first time I've read any of Robb Walsh's work, and I thought he got the balance between being witty and informative pretty much spot-on. Not really a great deal of unusual food is eaten, although he does spend some time throughout the book looking into the roots of various culinary styles from Souther ...more
Alyce
Although this collection of previously published articles didn't fully convince me that Walsh is a "culinary thrill seeker", the interesting tidbits kept me reading unabated (and allowed me to overlook his frequent patronization). For example, a 1996 Natural History magazine article quotes a prescient produce distributor who suggests that prickly pears be renamed cactus pears to increase U.S. market appeal.
Matt
I picked this paperback up at the used bookstore for $5, so i'm not expecting great things. The guy is not a flashy writer, and only sprinkles his stories with a dash of research, but some of his stories are interesting. The first two chapters are about chilis and coffee, so that was good enough for me.
Wellington
Unlike many of the foods described, this book just seemed to be missing something. Perhaps, some pictures since these were pulled from magazines? Writing-wise, I felt I was being written down to. But hey, at least the book gave me some new cooking dies.
Cheryl  Madigan
The title of this book is slightly misleading. There isn't too much crazy stuff eaten in this book as much as crazy amounts of food eaten after some serious effort to get it.

Not a bad read, but not quite as thrilling as the title may have you believe.
Nicole
I really enjoyed some of the more general-interest articles (the one about prickly pear fruits, for example). I wasn't nearly as interested in reading about restaurants I'll never go to - a lot of the articles seemed more like reviews.
Doris
This book made me want to go to Jamaica to experience the peppers and coffee that never get exported. It also gave my vacations a new direction: letting my stomach decide where where to go!
angi
Nov 19, 2007 angi rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: foodie
meh. eating crazy foods is usually fascinating but his writing is not. there's at least one bizarre-foods blog that's written ten times better, where the guy eats stuff ten times weirder.
Cara
Walsh's theory is that what makes food interesting is the people who eat it and why. He explores exactly that in this book, with stories from his food travels all over the globe.
Seth
This was a good read. It is a compilation of his food reviews from around the world. It has some humor to it, but if you like to read food writing, it is a must.
Marybeth
So much fun! Especially the bit about the meal of a med-rare burger & raw oysters- also called the double dumbass combo!
Theresa
Each chapter is about a different food from different area's. Very informative and well written.
Bonnie Jeanne
Jan 25, 2009 Bonnie Jeanne marked it as to-read
Shelves: food
Are You Really Going to Eat That?: Reflections of a Culinary Thrill Seeker by Robb Walsh (2004)
Sandra
Really interesting.It even has recipes although the ingredient maybe somewhat hard to find
Jen
Old skool adventurous-white-guy food writing. Made me want to go to Texas - scary.
Michael
Good spicy recipes, interesting chapter on wild rice and durian (stinkfruit)
Toni
Jan 14, 2011 Toni added it
Very fun and interesting book for foodies. Learn about the popularity of Spam in Hawaii, the best way to cook okra is Don't Cut It, the history of Gruyere cheese, hunting for the best sauerkraut in Alsace, France, and more eclectic stories. He even goes to a Texas prison to have an inmate who is a legend in Black Southern Cooking cook for him. The author is a food critic from Houston and there are also a few stories about BBQ & Vietnamese joints in Houston.
Dave Olsher
Dave Olsher marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Radym
Radym marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Julie Melvin
Julie Melvin marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Celeste Goldie
Celeste Goldie marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
  • It Must've Been Something I Ate: The Return of the Man Who Ate Everything
  • Eating My Words: An Appetite for Life
  • Take Big Bites: Adventures Around the World and Across the Table
  • Serve the People: A Stir-Fried Journey Through China
  • Choice Cuts: A Savory Selection of Food Writing from Around the World and Throughout History
  • Four Kitchens: My Life Behind the Burner in New York, Hanoi, Tel Aviv, and Paris
  • Eat, Memory: Great Writers at the Table: A Collection of Essays from the New York Times
  • Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant : Confessions of Cooking for One and Dining Alone
  • Beaten, Seared, and Sauced: On Becoming a Chef at the Culinary Institute of America
  • Cookoff: Recipe Fever in America
  • An Omelette and a Glass of Wine
  • Untangling My Chopsticks: A Culinary Sojourn in Kyoto
  • American Food Writing: an Anthology: With Classic Recipes
  • Shark's Fin And Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China
Robb Walsh is the author of four previous Texas cookbooks, including The Tex-Mex Cookbook. He is also the food critic for the Houston Press.

More about Robb Walsh...
The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos Sex, Death and Oysters: A Half-Shell Lover's World Tour Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from the Pit Bosses Texas Eats: The New Lone Star Heritage Cookbook, with More Than 200 Recipes The Texas Cowboy Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos