Start by marking “Jesus: A Meditation on His Stories and His Relationships with Women” as Want to Read:
Jesus: A Meditation on His Stories and His Relationships with Women

Jesus: A Meditation on His Stories and His Relationships with Women

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  9 reviews
“We must begin our story of Jesus by granting him permission to surprise us endlessly....” ---from the Introduction

Jesus of Galilee taught through stories, which even today contain the power to startle us out of our prejudices and preconceptions. Now Father Andrew M. Greeley, one of America’s most beloved storytellers, examines the parables told by Jesus in search of a ful
Published March 4th 2008 by Forge Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus

Mobill76
Well, you can't go wrong with the subject. And I like that Greeley mapped out where he was going in the introduction so that I couldn't take issue later. I don't agree with a lot of the places he took me and I have greater respect for the work of Kazantzakis and Tim Rice (JC Superstar). Heck, dissing JC Superstar will cost you a star from me in any book. At the same time Greeley wants to introduce the novelty that Jesus might have been sexually attracted to women. I didn't really understand his ...more
Theresa
In this book, Father Greeley exams the parables told by Jesus and gives context, background and very often new understandings to the meanings of the parables. One important point about the parables that many people seem to not understand is that they are not allegories.

He also exams the stories of Jesus interactions with women, including his mother and, again, gives context, background and new understanding to these relationships. He also points out that there are several Marys in the gospel wri
Colleen
Jul 27, 2011 Colleen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Just started reading this and it is fantastic! Very different genre from his historic romances, but packed with amazing facts and insights by a personable, intelligent man, nonetheless! Love you, Father Greeley. Wish you well in a speedy recovery and lots more terrific years. We are so blessed to know you!
Simone
It was a very good insightful book. Gave a new perspective on who Jesus was and what He was like, especially how He was when talking with women. I highly recommend the book.
Maggie
second read. good. clear. insightful. i particularly like the theme of "if God isn't surprising you, you're not paying attention"
Linda
I have never read Andrew Greeley. This is a book that views all sides of the parable The greatests.
Kay Vanatta
Absolutely fantastic - might have to actually buy this one to have on hand for a re-read!
Anne
First 40 pages or so were rather slow but the rest of the book was interesting.
Angela
An astute exploration of an extravagant God via Jesus' parables.
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Marianne Crapol
Marianne Crapol marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Drew Cottle
Drew Cottle marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Cindy
Cindy is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Lety
Lety is currently reading it
Jun 07, 2014
Delia
Delia added it
May 07, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Francine
Francine marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
April
April added it
Feb 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...
Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1) The Cardinal Sins Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2) Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4) Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3)