Start by marking “Meditations” as Want to Read:

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  34,597 ratings  ·  1,447 reviews
Live each day as if it were your last

Written in Greek by the only Roman emperor who was also a philosopher, without any intention of publication, the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius (AD 121-180) offer a remarkable series of challenging spiritual reflections and exercises developed as the emperor struggled to understand himself and make sense of the universe. Ranging from
Published April 27th 2006 by Penguin Classics (first published 180)

To ask other readers questions about Meditations, please sign up.

David It's modern English. Many of the quotes on the quotes page will tell you how the writing is done. You can also look to different translations to find…moreIt's modern English. Many of the quotes on the quotes page will tell you how the writing is done. You can also look to different translations to find one that is easiest for you to read. Or go straight to Latin!(less)
The Republic by PlatoThus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich NietzscheBeing and Time by Martin HeideggerCritique of Pure Reason by Immanuel KantPhenomenology of Spirit by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Best Philosophy Book
6th out of 631 books — 822 voters
The Stranger by Albert CamusSiddhartha by Hermann Hesse1984 by George OrwellThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryCrime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Best Philosophical Literature
57th out of 646 books — 1,997 voters

More lists with this book...

Steve Sckenda
Jan 11, 2015 Steve Sckenda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Interested in Stoic Wisdom
Expect the worst, and you will never be disappointed. Hear now, Marcus Aurelius, Emperor of Rome:
“Begin each day by telling yourself: Today I shall be meeting with interference, ingratitude, insolence, disloyalty, ill will, and selfishness-- all of them due to the offender’s ignorance of what is good and evil. That people of a certain type should behave as they do is inevitable. To wish it otherwise were to wish the fig-tree would not yield its juice.
Marcus Aurelius (A.D.121-181) ruled Rome
Glenn Russell

In many important ways, the reflections of Marcus Aurelius (121-180) crystallize the philosophical wisdom of the Greco-Roman world. This little book was written as a diary to himself whilst emperor fighting a war out on the boarder of the Roman Empire and is know to us today as The Meditations.

The Roman philosophers are not as well knows or as highly regarded as Greek philosophers such as Plato, Aristotle, Epicurus or Zeno the Stoic - and for a simple reason: the Roman thinkers were not primaril
Brad Lyerla
When I was a freshman in college, I lived in a dorm. My roommate was on the football team. He would write inspiring things on poster board and hang them in our room often on the ceiling above his bed to motivate himself. He favored straightforward sentiments like "never give up."

The Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius did not hang motivational posters for inspiration. Instead, he kept a journal in which he collected his thoughts about how to live well. MEDITATIONS is that book.

Most people have heard
Riku Sayuj

Marcus Aurelius must have been a prolific reader. He sure was a prolific note-taker, for these meditations are surely his study-notes(?- after all he was a 'philosopher' from age 12). I don't know of the publishing system at the time but where are the detailed footnotes and references? Marcus Aurelius is quite a wise man or at least he read enough wise men. He sure nailed it as far as boring a reader is concerned. No better way to establish your book's wisdom quotient.

I am being needlessly caust
Dec 03, 2007 Walter rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: human beings
Another great influence in my life; this was the personal philosophical diary of the last "good emperor" of the Roman Empire. In this work Marcus Aurelius draws a picture Stoicism as a philosophy that I call "Buddhism with balls". It is a harsh self discipline that trains its practitioners to be champions (of a sort). Champions of what? Mastery of the self.

The heart of the book is that in order to make oneself free, they must train themselves to become indifferent to externals. The externals ar
Parthiban Sekar
“Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul.”

This little book is the most personal work existent on the surface of the Earth, floating across all continents and countries, in all language, from time to time. Marcus Aurelius, the Roman Emperor and unmistakably, a Stoic philosopher, through his reflective aphorisms and repetitive admonitions, captivates us to inquire about our living, review our doings, and eliminate our misconceptions. This was not targeted for
Like the Tao Te Ching, this is a collection of short, powerful statements. If only Aurelius had as much humor as Lao Tzu, or as generous a view of life. Still, some of Aurelius's reflections have a cold, wintery beauty about them. Best read as poetry rather than any philosophy to take to heart. Only readable in small bites, which makes it perfect for the subway.
Dear Marcus, wherever you rest, I pray that you rest in peace. Thank you.

Update: after I wrote the above line, I tried to find out where Aurelius was really buried and it seems that his ashes used to be kept at the Castel Sant' Angelo in Parco Adriano, Rome. But in 410, these ashes and those of other emperors were scattered during the Visigoth sack of Rome. I mention this because I think Aurelius would have found it very amusing to have been scattered into the river, confirming his view of life
Gary Christensen
I view this work as a valuable resource, after all, it's not often one knows the private thoughts of an individual, let alone one of the more successful Roman Emperors. Only occasionally does it feel like the work of a Roman Emperor. Never do we get the feeling that it's written mid battle and amid the varied intrigue attending empire maintenance. Most often it's a welcome blend of philosophical pondering and practical advice.

My favorite Books were One, Eight, and Eleven.

It's appropriate, and p
Say to yourself in the early morning: I shall meet today inquisitive, ungrateful, violent, treacherous, envious, uncharitable men. All these things have come upon them through ignorance of real good and ill.
my favorite quotation

Stoic philosopher, and a Roman Emperor from 161 to 180
try to imagine this man was a roman emperor as Nero, caligula and dioclite BUT why was he different ?he has a very good introduction about his education,

The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it
Aug 28, 2007 Richard rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Emo Kids
By today's standards, a bog-standard blog.

The only reason that this was preserved in the first place is that the author happened to be a Roman emperor. (That, and that ancient Rome didn't have LiveJournal.)

The only reason that Meditations is still being published today is that once a book gets labeled "classic," hardly anyone who reads it has the grapes to admit that it just wasn't that good. Well...the emperor has no clothes.
فائق منيف
اقتباسات من الكتاب:

أوريليوس: إن اللطف لا يقاوم، طالما كان أصيلا بدون ابتسامات زائفة أو تظاهر

أوريليوس: إن غضبنا وضيقنا يؤذياننا أكثر من الأشياء التي تغضبنا وتضايقنا

أوريليوس: لا تضع مزيدا من الوقت في مناقشة كيف يكون الرجل الصالح؟ كن واحدا من هؤلاء الرجال

أوريليوس: اترك أخطاء الآخرين حيث ارتكبت

أوريليوس: امح الخيالات، وتحكم في الاندفاع، واطفئ الشهوة، واجعل من عقلك سيدا لك

أوريليوس: إذا أردت أن ترفع من معنوياتك، ففكر في فضائل أصدقائك

أوريليوس: إن كان من الصعب عليك أن تقوم بعمل ما، فلا تستنتج من ذ
I give a four to Marcus Aurelius (since he seemed like a pretty fascinating dude but I don't totally agree with him on everything) and a five to translator Gregory Hays for his readable, immediate translation as well as his thoughtful and unpretentious introduction. You can tell he really likes Aurelius, thinks of him as a buddy almost, but is willing to admit that he doesn't completely have his shit together. There's a warmth to his writing as well as a critical eye. It's easy to assume that "a ...more
Maru Kun
Marcus gives us wise advice about using the Internet, particularly social networking sites:
“...because most of what we say and do is not essential. If you can eliminate it, you'll have more time and more tranquillity. Ask yourself at every moment, is this necessary…”

He shares his opinions on the worst types of modern professional. He does not approve of lobbyists and is rightly worried about their influence on the legislative process. We should heed his words:
“ long as the law is safe, so i
The inner thoughts of a Roman emperor. Profound and for some, inspiring. A mournful, yet strong man, philosopher-king, which we don't see too often anywhere.
التأملات كتبها الامبراطور والفيلسوف الروماني ماركوس أوريليوس, من الفلاسفة الرواقيين وعُرف بالفيلسوف الجالس على العرش, حكم الامبراطورية الرومانية ما بين عامي 161- 180م
دَون تأملاته, وعرض آراؤه عن الحياة والأخلاق وتهذيب النفس وفضائل الحكمة والعدالة, وأيضا فكره وأسلوبه في الحكم والإدارة
من أقواله " إذا ما استطاع إنسان أن يثبت لي أني على خطأ ويبين لي خطئي في أي فكرة أو فعل, فسوف أغير نفسي بكل سرور, إن أريد إلا الحق وهو مطلب لم يضر أي إنسان قط, إنما الضرر هو أن يصر المرء على جهله ويستمر في خداع ذاته"
Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography []. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)

The CCLaP 100: In which I read for the first time a hundred so-called literary "classics," then write reports on whether or not they deserve the label

Essay #67: Meditations (160-180 AD), by Marcus Aurelius

The story in a nutshell:
Written essentially as a private journal from around 160 to 180 AD, by one of
Ana Rînceanu
Once in a while I come across a book that makes me aware of a particular fault I have. Whenever I feel someone who is different from me is trying to tell me how to live, I just tend to brush his/her opinions under the rug unless they present a strong, intriguing argument.

I got this sense of deja-vu as soon as I started this book. I was not impressed with the beginning of this book. While he was mentioning his thanks to his teachers for the virtues they had imbued in him, I felt like he was givi
Tariq Alferis

من ليبيا ، ومن أمام موج البحر المتلاطم على شواطيء السرايا الحمراء في مدينة طرابلس القديمة، وتحديداً من تحت سقف قوس ماركوس أوريليوس الروماني القديم ،قام اعضاء نادي الكتاب والثقافة بجامعة طرابلس

مناقشة كتاب الامبراطور الروماني "التاملات " تحت اهم معلم يخلد ذكري ماركوس...

في البداية تم نقاش تاريخ القوس بصفة خاصة واهم معالمه ونقاش النقوش الموجودة فيه عبر العصور ، من رسوم الالهة الي الخربشات ونقوشات الاسبان وحتي العرب منذ الفتح قديما ...!

ثم مناقشة الكتاب في القنصلية الانجليزية القديمة (دار النويجي )
Ken Moten
Jan 25, 2015 Ken Moten rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ken by: Peter Adamson? Mike Duncan? Can't remember
(The edition I read from was translated by Meric Casaubon)

"X. These two rules, thou must have always in a readiness. First, do nothing at all, but what reason proceeding from that regal and supreme part, shall for the good and benefit of men, suggest unto thee. And secondly, if any man that is present shall be able to rectify thee or to turn thee from some erroneous persuasion, that thou be always ready to change thy mind, and this change to proceed, not from any respect of any pleasure or credi
Vanja Antonijevic
Marcus Aurelius was a good emperor, and also a good philosopher. He is fundamentally a Stoic, but he is not a typical Stoic (see Epictetus). Instead, Aurelius is a Stoic with inner turmoil and conflict. He is not sure at times whether he can follow the Stoic path, and also seems to have a less extreme philosophy. In other words, Aurelius seems to be more humane, and you will not catch him saying anything like this:

"Never say of anything, "I have lost it"; but, "I have returned it." Is your chil
Anand Patel
It reads like a long affirmation and reaffirmation of Aurelius's beliefs, punctuated by very clever and thoughtful moments. A majority of it felt like a rather painful slog through repetitive discourses on Stoic philosophy. I certainly can't blame the author - it's clear that he never intended for this to be read by anyone other than himself. Nevertheless, there's clearly value in reading this book - I just wouldn't call it a page-turner.

I think the two most interesting parts of the book are (1)
Marcus Aurelius was Roman Emperor from AD 161 to 180. His Meditations are a series of notes to self, reflecting his interest and training in philosophy. Reportedly not intended for publication Meditations nonetheless provides a wonderful insight into the mind of a powerful ruler and times long gone.

This was a slow read for me. I had to read and re-read many of the passages to fully grasp its intent. The effort was well worth it as this is a great little book.

What struck me most was how contempo
Aug 31, 2012 Jon added it
I don't think I've read so short a book that took me so long to read. The form (aphorism upon aphorism) makes for a slow but memorable digestion.

Wisdom from a moral Roman leader!:

"Display those virtues which are wholly in your own power: integrity, dignity, hard work, self-denial, contentment, frugality, kindness, independence, simplicity, discretion, magnanimity. Do you not see how many virtues you can already display without any excuse of lack of talent or aptitude? And yet you are still conte
Mel Vincent
This is truly one of the finest and best philosophical books that I have ever come across. This book has all the Mitch Albom books plus the Art of War of Sun Tzu plus the Machiavelli's the prince, Hobbes, Plato, Socrates, Aristotle's political and humanistic view points times the values and lessons of the Last Lecture.

A remarkable book that narrates and explains the different viewpoints in the natural life of Marcus Aurelius. This book is one of the most complex yet simple philosophy books ever
♥ Ibrahim ♥
I read this book with such great relish I can read it over and over again, as if it was a "holy" book. Marcus Aurelius is a fantastic teacher in the school of life and a great example for any man in nobility of character. I have a lot to savor and so many notes to make.

It surprises me frankly that in his day they also argued about casting of demons. People are the same! Marcus says that he has learnt from Diogentus "not to busy myself about trifling things, and not to give credit to what was sa
Meditations is no less than a collection of philosophical thoughts written down by a Roman emperor during his reign. Marcus Aurelius is in my eyes one of the most interesting characters to have lived during the period of classical antiquity, but I just recently got around to reading his Meditations. But when I first got to it, it only took me about an hour on the bus to complete it.

Not only does this book offer beautiful philosophical reflections and guidance in how to act ethically and how to a
Bury me with this book. Written in AD 121 to 180 this book is a collection of thoughts, short essays and quotes. Almost 2000 years old, the words of Marcus Aurelius echo through to this day.

From book 5, 22 - This reminded me of Hurricane Catrina and our failure in New Orleans.
"What is not harmful to the city, cannot harm the citizen. In every fancied case of harm, apply the rule, 'If the city is not harmed, I am not harmed either.' But if the city should indeed be harmed, never rage at the culpr
Alexandra Petri
This basically consists of Marcus Aurelius repeating, "Get it together, Marcus" to himself over and over again over the course of 12 chapters.

-The time during which you are alive is very very brief compared to the time during which you did not exist and will not exist.
-People who wrong you only do so from ignorance, and if you can correct them without being a jerk about it, you should do so.
-You are a little soul dragging around a corpse.
-Whether or not things injure you lies in
Laura Leaney
Jul 14, 2014 Laura Leaney rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laura by: Will at UCLA
This is the collection of the private thoughts of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius, who wrote them (I imagine) under conditions both conducive and dangerous. I haven't the foggiest notion how the words survived, but if I close my eyes I can see him bowed over a camp desk, small quill in hand, castigating the weaknesses of mind and body through words. They call him the philosopher-king, but to me that implies a kind of lolling about in some gorgeous Roman courtyard, while Marcus Aurelius fought alongs ...more
Stoic Bookclub: Meditations group read 2 39 Nov 03, 2013 08:17PM
  • The Essays
  • The Essential Epicurus
  • The Nicomachean Ethics
  • Fragments
Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus (often referred to as "the wise") was Emperor of the Roman Empire from 161 to his death in 180. He was the last of the "Five Good Emperors", and is also considered one of the more important Stoic philosophers. His two decades as emperor were marked by near continual warfare. He was faced with a series of invasions from German tribes, and by conflicts with the Par ...more
More about Marcus Aurelius...

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.” 2420 likes
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” 2325 likes