Start by marking “Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness” as Want to Read:

According to the Buddha, the path of kindness is the path of happiness. Now Sylvia Boorstein, nationally bestselling author of It’s Easier Than You Think, has taken the 2500-year-old practice of developing the qualities of a compassionate heart—the core of the Buddha’s own practice—and made it accessible to all. Pay Attention for Goodness’ Sake is the first book ever to gu ...more
Published August 27th 2002 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake

Laila (BigReadingLife)
Inspiration for living in a world that will make you crazy! I will buy this one so I can re-read and refer to it as necessary. I highly recommend for anyone who feels the need for more peace in their life. Sylvia Boorstein's style is so warm and friendly and accessible. She's a treasure.
Deborah
Determination
Lovingkindness
Equanimity

Four Noble Truths
I. Life is challenging. For everyone. Our physical bodies, our relationships -- all our life circumstances -- are fragile and subject to change. We are always accommodating.

II. The cause of suffering is the mind’s struggle in response to challenge.

III. The end of suffering -- a nonstruggling, peaceful mind -- is possible.
IV. The program -- the Eightfold Path -- for end
Jim Lavis
Jan 22, 2017 Jim Lavis rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book. Sylvia, the author, touches my heart. She has the knack of simplifying personal challenges through stories that offer a solution based on Buddhist principles that are practical. Her stories are so thought provoking they challenge the way readers look at their own dilemmas.

As many of you know, I read these books to help center my thoughts around mindfulness. Often life’s challenges disrupt and influence our decisions in a negative way, and these inspirational books guide m
Mark Gelula
Sep 15, 2009 Mark Gelula rated it really liked it
This is a well done book which covers the 10 Paramitas. Boorstein has been at this for 50 years and she really has great insight. I like her "spread sheet"-like approach to the ten Paramitas, giving suggestions for how to think about and translate them into daily meditation and action.

This is a good book for "Buddhist" beginners and a very good book for those with sitting and practice experience.
Cindywho
Nov 17, 2007 Cindywho rated it liked it
Shelves: meditation-yoga
Sylvia Boorstein organizes and presents and illustrates with stories in a cheerful tone the 10 Paramitas or Buddhist virtues. At first I was put off by her personality. She seems like a happy extrovert who has lots of friends to share her spiritual journey with and a genuine desire to perfect herself. Feeling like her polar opposite, I took a little time to sit with the resentment I feel for not being like that and the book grew on me and I enjoyed it more.
Joyce
Jan 17, 2014 Joyce rated it really liked it
One of the best books, I think, on understanding the Buddhist path.

Boorstein is kind, funny and authentic. The concepts are set out in an understandable format with personal anecdotes that further illustrate various ideas.

I highly recommend for anyone interested in learning more about developing a kinder heart.
Bernadette
Feb 15, 2013 Bernadette rated it really liked it
Sylvia Boorstein is the perfect antidote to my days of uncertainty and unease. In this book, she extols the virtues of mindfulness, providing a quick and dirty outline of Buddhist paramitas (or virtues) and how we can apply them to our own lives. I love her conversational tone and complete accessibility.
MaryLynn
Jun 21, 2012 MaryLynn rated it really liked it
I really liked this book even though I normally require a book that has a plot. I thought the author inserted herself into it a bit much, but I really liked the points she made. I resolved to slow down, pay better attention to those around me, and be more compassionate. I do not ever see myself meditating, but there is still lots to learn from this book.
Francine
Oct 21, 2014 Francine rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of Sylvia Boorstein. She writes in clear and simple language with wit. I've read this book before so it was easy to breeze through it in a couple of days in order to get a refresher.

Highly Recommended.
Courtney
Jun 10, 2014 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
There were many times that I was struggling with something and Boorstein's description would help me unravel my problem. I enjoyed the straightforward nature of this book; I see myself coming back to it many times, like I do with Pema Chodron's work.
Brooke
Mar 26, 2013 Brooke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mindfulness
Beautiful. Not all the chapters spoke to me, but those that did we're wonderful and heart-opening. The Lovingkindness and Equanimity chapters were particularly helpful for me in dealing with my grief.
Suzanne Lybeer
Wonderful & inspiring!
Litbitch
Jan 25, 2009 Litbitch rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, spirit
Another lovely Boorstein book - this one has a specific meditation suggestion in each chapter, each addressing a specific paramits (perfection of the heart).
Leslie
Jul 22, 2013 Leslie rated it it was amazing
Sit...
Martinp
Jan 31, 2015 Martinp rated it really liked it
A simple and easy-to-read book on mindfulness.
Robert
Feb 17, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it
Second reading and still good.
Joe
Dec 27, 2007 Joe rated it it was ok
to be perfectly honest, this is our "bathroom book" which is perfect since the passages are short and poignant.
Sandra
Aug 09, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it
Sylvia has such an easy way about her. She writes as if she is talking to you. I loved this book!
Oct 11, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I go back to it again and again. It's really about putting practices into your life that make you more aware, kinder, and ultimately happier. Highly recommended.
Jenn
Sep 29, 2008 Jenn rated it did not like it
i gave up. i don't do much in the "self-help" genre of books and i couldn't get motivated to read it. maybe i'll pick it up at another point.
Jenette Jenkins
Jun 18, 2012 Jenette Jenkins rated it it was amazing
I just finished it, and I'm starting it again immediately. It has meant so much to me. Hard to even express it.
Bette
Jan 14, 2014 Bette rated it it was amazing
Great step by step guide to living with acute attention to every little thing.
Serafina Sands
Sep 28, 2012 Serafina Sands rated it really liked it
once again, Sylvia explains Buddhism in plain language and every day examples.
Dee
Dee rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2008
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Hyd_star
Hyd_star rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2012
Deborah Bowman
Deborah Bowman rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2012
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Stumbling Toward Enlightenment
  • Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • Mind Beyond Death
  • Eight Steps to Happiness: The Buddhist Way of Loving Kindness
  • Joyful Wisdom: Embracing Change and Finding Freedom
  • Buddha or Bust: In Search of Truth, Meaning, Happiness, and the Man Who Found Them All
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Calming the Fearful Mind: A Zen Response to Terrorism
  • Crazy Wisdom
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • Reflections On A Mountain Lake: Teachings On Practical Buddhism
  • Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body, and Mind
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
Sylvia Boorstein (born 1936) is an American writer and Buddhist spiritualist.
More about Sylvia Boorstein...

“Buddha also said that the Dharma, like a bird, needs two wings to fly, and that the wing that balances Wisdom is compassion.” 2 likes
“The Buddha said that there are three times that a person should consider the consequences of any action: before, during, and after. “One should reflect thus,” he said. “‘Is what I am about to do . . .’ or ‘Is what I am currently doing . . .’ or ‘Is what I just did . . . for my own well-being and for the benefit of all others?” 1 likes