Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  20 reviews
According to the Buddha, the path of kindness is the path of happiness. Now Sylvia Boorstein, nationally bestselling author of It’s Easier Than You Think, has taken the 2500-year-old practice of developing the qualities of a compassionate heart—the core of the Buddha’s own practice—and made it accessible to all. Pay Attention for Goodness’ Sake is the first book ever to gu...more
Published August 27th 2002 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake

Laila
Inspiration for living in a world that will make you crazy! I will buy this one so I can re-read and refer to it as necessary. I highly recommend for anyone who feels the need for more peace in their life. Sylvia Boorstein's style is so warm and friendly and accessible. She's a treasure.
Deborah
Determination
Lovingkindness
Equanimity

Four Noble Truths
I. Life is challenging. For everyone. Our physical bodies, our relationships -- all our life circumstances -- are fragile and subject to change. We are always accommodating.

II. The cause of suffering is the mind’s struggle in response to challenge.

III. The end of suffering -- a nonstruggling, peaceful mind -- is possible.
IV. The program -- the Eightfold Path -- for end...more
Courtney
There were many times that I was struggling with something and Boorstein's description would help me unravel my problem. I enjoyed the straightforward nature of this book; I see myself coming back to it many times, like I do with Pema Chodron's work.
Cindy
Sylvia Boorstein organizes and presents and illustrates with stories in a cheerful tone the 10 Paramitas or Buddhist virtues. At first I was put off by her personality. She seems like a happy extrovert who has lots of friends to share her spiritual journey with and a genuine desire to perfect herself. Feeling like her polar opposite, I took a little time to sit with the resentment I feel for not being like that and the book grew on me and I enjoyed it more.
Cindywho
Mark Gelula
This is a well done book which covers the 10 Paramitas. Boorstein has been at this for 50 years and she really has great insight. I like her "spread sheet"-like approach to the ten Paramitas, giving suggestions for how to think about and translate them into daily meditation and action.

This is a good book for "Buddhist" beginners and a very good book for those with sitting and practice experience.
MaryLynn
I really liked this book even though I normally require a book that has a plot. I thought the author inserted herself into it a bit much, but I really liked the points she made. I resolved to slow down, pay better attention to those around me, and be more compassionate. I do not ever see myself meditating, but there is still lots to learn from this book.
Joyce
One of the best books, I think, on understanding the Buddhist path.

Boorstein is kind, funny and authentic. The concepts are set out in an understandable format with personal anecdotes that further illustrate various ideas.

I highly recommend for anyone interested in learning more about developing a kinder heart.
Bernadette
Sylvia Boorstein is the perfect antidote to my days of uncertainty and unease. In this book, she extols the virtues of mindfulness, providing a quick and dirty outline of Buddhist paramitas (or virtues) and how we can apply them to our own lives. I love her conversational tone and complete accessibility.
Brooke
Beautiful. Not all the chapters spoke to me, but those that did we're wonderful and heart-opening. The Lovingkindness and Equanimity chapters were particularly helpful for me in dealing with my grief.
I love this book. I go back to it again and again. It's really about putting practices into your life that make you more aware, kinder, and ultimately happier. Highly recommended.
Litbitch
Another lovely Boorstein book - this one has a specific meditation suggestion in each chapter, each addressing a specific paramits (perfection of the heart).
Jenn
i gave up. i don't do much in the "self-help" genre of books and i couldn't get motivated to read it. maybe i'll pick it up at another point.
Jenette Jenkins
I just finished it, and I'm starting it again immediately. It has meant so much to me. Hard to even express it.
Joe
to be perfectly honest, this is our "bathroom book" which is perfect since the passages are short and poignant.
Sylvia writes in a manner that is kind and encouraging. I enjoy her books and gentle prodding.
Serafina Sands
once again, Sylvia explains Buddhism in plain language and every day examples.
Michealle
Another great teacher, if you are practicing Buddhism.
abooklvr
Wonderful & inspiring!
Hannahlily
Hannahlily marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Maria Flavin
Maria Flavin marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Leslie Thomas
Leslie Thomas marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Sylvia Boorstein (born 1936) is an American writer and Buddhist spiritualist.
More about Sylvia Boorstein...
It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness Happiness Is an Inside Job: Practicing for a Joyful Life That's Funny, You Don't Look Buddhist: On Being a Faithful Jew and a Passionate Buddhist Don't Just Do Something, Sit There: A Mindfulness Retreat with Sylvia Boorstein Solid Ground: Buddhist Wisdom for Difficult Times

“Buddha also said that the Dharma, like a bird, needs two wings to fly, and that the wing that balances Wisdom is compassion.” 1 likes
“Hatred will never cease by hatred, Only love will erase hatred, This is the eternal law.” 1 likes