Start by marking “Meditation For Dummies (Book and CD edition)” as Want to Read:
Meditation For Dummies (Book and CD edition)

Meditation For Dummies (For Dummies)

The popular guide-over 80,000 copies sold of the first edition-now revised and enhanced with an audio CD of guided meditations

According to Time magazine, over 15 million Americans now practice meditation regularly. It's a great way to reduce stress, increase energy, and enjoy better health. This fun and easy guide has long been a favorite with meditation newcomers. And now

Published February 6th 2006 by Wiley Pub. (first published March 4th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Meditation For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meditation For Dummies

Helynne
Apr 05, 2009 Helynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know that the series of Dummies books--and there must be hundreds of them--isn't everyone's cup of tea. Some people are put off by the title alone. And yes, there are plenty of other basic books about meditation that do not refer to us beginners as "dummies." However, I enjoyed this thorough overview and practical approach to meditation from practing psychotherapist Stephan Bodian. He gives a historical, spiritual, and philosophical background on the practice of meditation, then gets down to t ...more
Barbora Knobova
Jun 15, 2010 Barbora Knobova rated it it was amazing
I expected this book to be "just" a meditation handbook telling me what to do, when and how. However, this book is much more and I've actually read it twice to absorb all the amazing information.

Although Meditation for Dummies is full of practical meditation tips and guides you through your meditation practice pretty effortlessly in a way that's easy to understand, it contains lots of life wisdom. The author, who is an experienced psychotherapist, also provides readers with helpful advice on str
Melissa
Nov 19, 2012 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've should called this book "Meditation for Dummies". Articles like I read in "Meditation for beginners" I always read in glossy magazines. I don't think this book is ok for beginners. In "Meditation for beginners" you even can't find a good explanation of the concept. But, in my opinion, it's the most important thing for beginners - to understand deeply what they're going to do. After this book I understand meditation superficially. But this book prompted me to find explanations of meditation. ...more
Laura Leaney
Dec 29, 2012 Laura Leaney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They call minds like mine "monkey-mind," but mine's more like a hamster in a cage. I didn't like reading a book with a "Dummies" cover, but I found Bodain's discussion on meditation helpful - although I admit to skipping sections such as "what to wear."

I'm glad that he does not press the religious aspect too hard.

There's something here for everyone who wants to experience the physical and mental benefits of meditation - you've just got to "know your motivation" in order to find the right kind
Michael Denvir
Jan 04, 2015 Michael Denvir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always liked the for Dummies books. Beyond the amusement I get each time I consider the title (because I am a dummy in many ways and it is nice to get simple, complete instruction), they are generally quite well written and have loads of information. Must be some really good editors behind it all. I find it an optimistic that even a dummy can do this, whatever it is.

I bought this book years ago, and what I remember most is that it presents so many different mental/physical technologies tha
Abdulrahman Alrehan
بداية بسيطة و جميله. لكن لا غنى عن الفيديوهات و الملفات الصوتيه اللي بتشرحه بشكل افضل
Ash Sedaris
May 02, 2014 Ash Sedaris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meditation for Dummies is a wonderful book for those who want to start dabbling in meditation. The book is very thorough and covers everything from the history of meditation, to the proper postures, where to meditate, the top 10 questions and 10 meditations, and much more. The book is very nicely organized and full of helpful hints, tips, stories, and different meditations. One of the best things about dummies books is that you don't have to read the book cover to cover to get the most out of it ...more
ufo28
Jan 20, 2014 ufo28 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book for giving all essential information about the subject and not only.The book covers all you need for a begginer including history of meditation,techniques,benefits and experiences of the author and other people.I am a yoga practisioner and meditation complements practise of the Hatha yoga.Highly recommended for all interested!!!

Samantha
I have wanted to properly learn some basic meditation techniques for a long time, so that I am mentally equipped to start the day off with a calm and relaxed state of mind and reduce stress and anxiety levels throughout the day, especially at bedtime. This guide is ideal for me, as it provides a good foundation for meditation novices, such as various relaxation/breathing methods, concentration/awareness techniques, and also the pros and cons of different sitting postures and meditating at certai ...more
Lothar
Jun 09, 2014 Lothar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written. Very informative.
Sophie
Apr 26, 2011 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very helpful book on the topic of meditation, full of practical tips you can use. It also gives you an overview on the background of meditation, as well as a variety of different meditation techniques.

The main focus of the book is on mindfulness meditation, which the author suggests as a basis for other meditations you can try at a later point. He also gives tips for how to incorporate meditation into your daily life and what to do if you encounter difficulties.

This book is also not limited
Angel Ortiz
Apr 06, 2016 Angel Ortiz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a very helpful book if you are wondering how to progress at meditation. When I started I was so full of ansiety because I wanted to domain this practice.

I was wrong, I needed to be guided by my meditations.
Lisa Kosak
Good introduction to meditation

If you want to become better acquainted with some meditation facts and descriptions of poses or methods this is a good primer.
Jan Schoehuijs
Qua info op meditatie was het goed.
Maar lastig lezen door alle esoterisch gezweef
Sigour
Nov 21, 2014 Sigour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this along my husband, and we both enjoyed it a lot!
Adil
May 27, 2010 Adil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author sounds well-versed in the topic and this book has all you need to start meditating and a lot of reasons to convince you that you should start now and keep it going. The writing is clear, informed, interesting, and a good balance between cute Eastern stories and Western perspective (e.g., scientific findings). The book is probably longer than it should be, but no harm in that. Go ahead and delve into Meditation with this book if you intend to. Good place to begin your studies and a lot ...more
Peter
Mar 22, 2011 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chapter six begins, "If you're looking for simple, concise meditation instructions, you've come to the right chapter." I'd say that goes for this book as a whole - basic techniques and mechanics for beginners are available here. The book is easy to follow (dummies, duh), and provides much additional info of interest - where/when to meditate, how long, are eyes open or closed, what to do with your hands, what if your foot falls asleep, etc. It continues on (over 300 pages) to more advanced stuff, ...more
Rachel Robbins
Jun 06, 2010 Rachel Robbins rated it liked it
I really have always been fascinated by meditation. This book is a nice introduction to the many facets of meditation. I however enjoy reading things front to back and all the sidebars and off-shoots made it hard for me to finish this book. It is designed to be skipped around and that is just not my way of reading. I feel this book better suits those who don't mind skipping around and reading solely what is meaningful to them. It has a CD and I'm about to start using the CD for my own meditation ...more
Jeff Eggleston
May 27, 2012 Jeff Eggleston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this book. Many people had suggested meditation as a method to relieve stress and live a happier life, but I really felt "in the dark" about what meditation was and how it works. This is filled with some wonderful concepts that i could easily apply to my life immediately. I have read other meditation books (to be sure) but this (for my money) is one of the best and surely a great starter book for anyone interested in meditation.
Joe Wright
This a great little short meditation reference book that I enjoying rereading every so often just to reacquaint myself with the benefits of meditation. This time around I'm reminded that I need to sign up for a yoga class and work on exercises that improve my posture. My meditation technique of choice is counting my breaths. It builds concentration and the high from breathing oxygen gets me focused and relaxed lol.
Wise Fool
I've been meditating for years. Thought I would do some reading to open my mind to new possibilities.
Although this book has a wealth of information, it is written in a negative fashion. seemed to focus more on points that may go wrong than what may go well.
Thus I recommend going to more traditional writings.
But what is true for one does not apply to all. So experience it for yourself and judge yourself.
Thomas Coon
There are a few misquotes, one notoriously from the Sermon on the Mount in the Bible, and I think his link between meditation and the repetition of the Jesus Prayer in Orthodox Christianity is inaccurate - monks do not say this prayer to focus in on one aspect of their consciousness; they say it because they are literally asking for mercy and kindness, even if it's 3x, 12x, 40x or 100x in a liturgy.
Adam
Jun 13, 2007 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow. among my most prized possessions. this book has given me the ability to relax again - a skill i think i had forgotten for a while.
while respecting religion, bodian offers several styles of meditation from several religious traditions that everyone can practice.
clear, simple, concise, informative, helpful, entertaining, interesting, relaxing, and fulfilling. if you don't own a copy, get one.
Butch
Aug 19, 2015 Butch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great basic fundamental description of meditation with an emphasis on mindfulness. My particular reasons for reading were to work on reducing stress. The author has a number of approaches to help me.
Throughout the book, he presents numerous ways to approach meditation with no prejudices or biases toward one approach or the other. If you want a "starter guide", then this is the book.
Malinda
May 20, 2014 Malinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent introduction to meditation. Bodian gives helpful and practical information on the mechanics of meditation - posture, breath, even where to put your hands. He gives an excellent overview of the different traditions behind meditation as well as several specific meditations. The accompanying CD contains brief meditations led by Bodian.
Jeremy
Mar 19, 2008 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tiffany
The only thing that did more to alleviate my stress and anxiety was finally leaving the job I hated. This book ran a very close second. It is extremely useful, helpful, simple and doesn't get mixed up in any religiosity (making it easily accessible to the spiritual, the secular, the theistic and atheistic without alienating any of the above.)
JoJoTheModern
An excellent primer for someone who wants to know what meditation is all about. Covers how-to, why-to, what to expect, the practice of meditation in a modern life, and aspects both secular and spiritual. Anyone who is curious about meditation will find assistance and instruction in this highly-accessible book.
David Scott
Jun 26, 2010 David Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being the only "for Dummies" book that I have ever read, it would be pointless to compare its effectiveness with other titles in this series. I learned some simple exercises for shaking the stress from the brain and learned more on the importance of breathing, posture, and having a clear mind.
Brandon
Dec 16, 2009 Brandon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mindfulness
This was the best "for dummies" book I have ever read. The author did a great job at explaining the history of meditation and gave plenty of different exercises to give you a taste of the various meditation methods. Anyone who wants to learn about meditation should read this book!
Rein Elzinga
Jul 20, 2013 Rein Elzinga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goede introductie over diverse vormen van meditatie met veel oefeningen. Soms iets teveel herhaling.
Leuk dat er een boek van 350 pagina"s is geschreven om te benadrukken dat het bij mediteren niet om een "prestatie"gaat. Of is dit een prestatie die de moeite waard is ? Hmmm...
  • Yoga For Dummies
  • Crocheting For Dummies
  • Chess For Dummies
  • Anger Management for Dummies
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies
Stephan Bodian is the bestselling author of Meditation for Dummies (now in an updated third edition) and Wake Up Now: A Guide to the Journey of Spiritual Awakening. He’s also the author and narrator of the critically acclaimed mobile programs Mindfulness Meditation and Freedom from Stress (produced by Mental Workout) and an internationally recognized expert on meditation, stress management, and sp ...more
More about Stephan Bodian...

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 79 books)
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies