Start by marking “8 Minute Meditation: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life” as Want to Read:
8 Minute Meditation: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life

8 Minute Meditation: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  547 ratings  ·  60 reviews
In recent years, mainstream Americans have begun to come around to meditation in a big way-and scientific studies are suggesting that the physical and mental benefits are solid and real. But to many, it remains something mystical and inaccessible...and spiritually-oriented tomes on the market don't do much to make it easier.
As interest in meditation continues to grow, th
Published July 6th 2004 by Perigee Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 8 Minute Meditation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 8 Minute Meditation

Matthew Jankowski
8 Minute Meditation took me on an 8 week journey through the various meditation styles. I started as a meditation novice: each and every page and concept was new to me. I took the authors advice and read each chapter only after I finished a week of meditation in the last style laid out by the author. At the end of 8 weeks I did feel more rested, calm, and peaceful. Moreover, since I finished the book (and the 8 week course) I've continued to meditate daily.

What I think the book lacks is clear di
bookczuk
Wanted a book on meditation to help me through some troublesome spots. Guyczuk did too, and he came up with three recommendations. This was my least favorite of the three, but it might be because of the layout and presentation. There's good info in there, if you're more patient than I am, and more comfortable with some of the current American jargon and approaches to learning a certain type of skills. While I like the idea of 8 minute meditation, it somehow seems too distilled down for me, too f ...more
Eduard
I think it is a very great introductory book for meditation.
Author is American and he removed almost everything unnecessary be it religion, jargon etc. Considering I am agnostic and may be somewhat atheistic in some topics this book was perfect for me.

Its 8 weeks of 8 exercises 8 minutes a day. From calming breathing meditations, to mindfulness and kindness meditations.
Having issues calming down before sleep? Problems with noises bothering you? Or may be pains or negative thoughts?
Well I think
Kelli
This book is intended to be read over an 8 week time period, so that each week you are putting into practice what you have just learned. The tone is upbeat and it reads a lot like an infomercial. I may update this review once I finish the full course but for now I'm going to say that I believe there is tremendous value to going within and taking a mental break/taking time for your self/letting go of anything that doesn't help you or support those you love AND YET I can never manage to "find the ...more
Vicci Divine
A great beginner primer for those interested in meditation. It is similar to taking a course with the book being the teacher. I now meditation on a daily basis because of the techniques learned in this book.
Lisa
I had been wanting to begin a meditation practice for a while and decided to have that be my New Year's resolution for 2013. This is the first book I used to get me started and it was perfect for that. I wasn't perfect at meditating every day, but he was so encouraging that I never felt like I was making any mistakes. Full of simple, effective direction and words of wisdom. I learned so much and have seen many ways that this habit has improved my life. Some awesome quotes...

"Everything is perfec
Ken
i read many many books on meditation and this one is the best intro. to meditation. It is simple in "details" and yet is rich in meaning, ideal for bringing the masses to meditation (i'm sure there 'd be more people meditating if it's the first book for those first showing interest in meditation, rather than other "mystical or philosophical" writings)

Warning though: must look beyond the potential annoyance of repetitions eg. "8 minute" is mentioned more than the number of breaths you take during
Jenine
For anyone who is a perfectionist and is trying to practice meditation, this is a wonderful, simple book that helps you to not give up on the practice. The author repeatedly reminds you that just because you sit down, cross your legs and close your eyes that the stream of thoughts in your mind will not magically stop or you will automatically be enlightened. It is written in very simple terms and reminds you, you are human and meditation takes practice, practice, practice. "a good meditation is ...more
Nicole Kapise-Perkins
My mom bought me a copy as an early birthday prezzie, and when it arrived yesterday I sat down a buzzed through it. Davich's book is an easy read, his writing style kind of happy-go-lucky...really he reminded me of a Labrador puppy: really friendly, really enthusiastic, and really eager to help you out. This is not to say he doesn't write well. Davich pulls you right into his book, lays out clear, concise guidelines on how you can begin to meditate, and then shows you how to do it. I absolutely ...more
Lloyd Scott
I finished this book and it has really relaxed me a great deal, I can tell the difference when I when I go to sleep at night I am knocke out, and when I awaken the next morning I can't believe that I was out of it. I increased my meditation time from 8-10 minutes/day, what an incredible read, I highly recommend this book to everyone.
Becki Sanders
Sep 17, 2007 Becki Sanders rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Maybe
So far it's a ton of fluff and I have to skim it because it's like a big infomercial. I have not tried the system yet, which sounds like it will be good but the book itself is pretty annoying. It's like it's written for people who are wusses and won't just make the time and take the energy to meditate without a very strict program.
Noah
I completed the book as well as 8 weeks of meditation. The book was structured well but many of the weekly exercises did not resonate with me (although a few did quite a bit). The author has a very positive, although somewhat over enthusiastic style. In general, I would recommend it as a solid intro to a meditation practice.
Elise
I think this is the best book for anyone interested in meditation to start with. It's easy, down to earth, and not goofy!
Ginger
Great tips, very accessible. But it still hasn't motivated me to regularly meditate yet and I read it 6 weeks ago.
Chirag
This book really gives a clear look of meditation. So if you are a beginner go for it.
Roger
A very practical and helpful look and a topic that is shrouded in mystery.
Billy
Jan 23, 2008 Billy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody
Same old story, I tried other ones, this worked!
Cara
great, easy, fun introduction to meditation
Emily
Ever since reading "Eat Pray Love" I wanted to learn how to meditate. I wanted to improve my ability to clear my mind, relax, improve focus and concentration, and control my thoughts. I chose this book because I wanted to learn how to meditate quickly without having to get through the history and philosophy. The two things I liked about the book is that it does get you meditationg fast and only requires 8 minutes, which is a reasonable amount of time. However, this book took a good idea (for may ...more
Tim Williams
Fills a niche for those who want to learn how to meditate and need support to make it into a habit. If you do it for 8 weeks its pretty much a habit, right?
Eja Batbold
ALLOW ALLOW ALLOW...

This book is simple guide for those who wants to start mediating.
Easy way to try to start a meditation practice. And, it is a practice!
Joel Maheux
Great introduction to meditation, simple, easy and step-by-step.
Jeff
The writing is a little corny and juvenile, yet I still enjoyed this as a very nice introduction to meditation. I've since read a few other books on the subject and am surprised how much I come back to this one. I wish he had gone a little deeper (or at all) into the traditions from which his 8 methods come, but really, as an introduction, most people probably aren't looking for that. They want to know how to get started and this book works really well as an introduction to a variety of methods ...more
Patrick
Really basic intro to meditation. REALLY basic. Dummy's Guide basic, at least that was the tone. meh. I'm sure this works for a lot of people, but I found it kind of annoying.

I did find it interesting that he's shooting for just doing 8 minutes a day. It is an easier way to get started with meditation, I'm sure, than if you had to go for an hour. Because it is work. :-)

So the book is an interesting idea, but it didn't really work for me, though I am doing the 8 minutes a day. Now looking for an
Oraib Toukhly sukkar
I've always wanted to learn how to meditate , all books I read didn't even got me close to trying to meditate , this book has introduced me to many ways of meditations for only 8 minutes to start once you learn how to do it and enjoy it you will increase you meditation time automatically but the author has simplified it as little as 8 minutes and make you practice all ways there are, finally when you try them all you choose one you are comfortable with. Great book to learn and to start for begin ...more
Natalie
I enjoyed this book. Some complain that it is too basic, but I believe that is the point. The idea is to meditate 8 minutes a day for 8 weeks. Over the 8 weeks, you are introduced to 8 different meditation technique. At the end, you pick what you like and what you want to continue or enhance. I enjoyed the book. Moreso, I enjoy the peace I can feel after only 8 minutes of meditation. It is the perfect way for a busy person to try out meditation.
Marcy Halsted
Very easy to follow with a simple methodology that encourages and supports learning to meditate. Highly recommended for those who feel meditation is something too hard or scary to attempt.
Roxy
After seeing a show about meditation, I wanted to learn more so off to the bookstore. I came across this book and have found it very easy to follow and actually had my first session this morning! I felt amazingly relaxed and peaceful. Studies have shown that you can only benifit greatly from this, there is no downside. I encourage you to take time to be totally still and just release all thoughts and see if it makes a difference!
Monica DiNatale
I knew nothing about meditation. You hear about it all the time so I decided to check this out. It is really great for a beginner like me. First of all it gives you clear instructions and reachable goals. It's crazy how much your mind races at any given time. It did help me to see the benefit of calming my thoughts and taking a step back. Doesn't everyone need that? My husband loved it too.
  • Zen Meditation in Plain English
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • Quiet Mind: A Beginner's Guide to Meditation
  • A Handbook of Chakra Healing: Spiritual Practice for Health, Harmony, and Inner Peace
  • The Relaxation Response
  • Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Anxiety, Fear, and Panic
  • Mind Performance Hacks: Tips & Tools for Overclocking Your Brain
  • The Science of Happiness: How Our Brains Make Us Happy-and What We Can Do to Get Happier
  • The Now Effect: How a Mindful Moment Can Change the Rest of Your Life
  • Eat, Drink, and Weigh Less
  • The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook
  • The Western Guide to Feng Shui: Room by Room
  • Speak Like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results: Secrets for Communicating Attention and Getting Results
  • Intimate Connections
  • Anxiety and Avoidance: A Universal Treatment for Anxiety, Panic, and Fear
  • Walk Like a Buddha: Even if Your Boss Sucks, Your Ex Is Torturing You, and You're Hungover Again
  • Hurry Up And Meditate: Your Starter Kit For Inner Peace And Better Health
  • The Reality Slap: Finding Peace and Fulfillment When Life Hurts
The Best Guide to Meditation 8 Minute Meditation Expanded: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life. 8 Minute Meditation Stress Reduction The Promise: Make Your Life Rich by Discovering Your Best Self

“When (because there is no “if” about this) you are meditating and suddenly find yourself mixing up a batch of brownies or deciding whether to eat Chinese or Italian tonight, just realize that you have strayed off. Then, without judging yourself a “bad” meditator, gently return your awareness to your breath.” 0 likes
“This is what breath meditation is about: watching your breath, straying off, realizing it, and gently returning. Over and over again. Like I said, meditation is a practice.” 0 likes