Start by marking “Time is All We Have: Four Weeks at the Betty Ford Center” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Time is All We Have: F...

Barnaby Conrad

Time is All We Have: Four Weeks at the Betty Ford Center

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A riveting personal account of one man's lifelong battle with alcoholism and a look inside the most famous drug and alcohol treatment center in the world.
Published November 1st 1986 by Arbor House Publishing (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Time is All We Have, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time is All We Have

Steele Dimmock
Amazing! This book has scared me off alcohol, I'm not sure for how long but definitely a while. Barnaby Conrad takes the reader through his time in rehab. The story is rich, detailed and filled with emotion. I found myself welling up at one point - a big shot businessman wanted to leave rehab and the support group got him to lay down as though he was in a coffin and began to impersonate his close family and friends. Really touching.

The book is written by a professional writer and it shows. Exper
Melody
Though my favorite part was the Ray Bradbury quote in the epilogue, I enjoyed the rest of it as well. Conrad was totally unfamiliar to me before I got this on hoopla for bedtime listening, but by the end of it I felt like I sort of knew him. But not his wife, not his kids. He kept the viewpoint very tight upon himself and his fellow rehab-mates. An interesting look inside the Betty Ford Center, back when Betty was still alive. Kind of dated, kind of sad.
Gizzard
With the horrible new EBSCO library audiobook system, it can be difficult to find books to listen to. Mainly because it is so hard to work with this system. So I chose this book because it sounded interesting and popped up at the beginning of a list.

Well, it was interesting. This has Conrad's personal story and stories about the Betty Ford Center rehab system. At times the book is a regurgitation of alcohol info and AA philosophy. Additionally, some of the rambling side bars, both Conrad's life
Mark
This account of the late Barnaby Conrad's time in the Betty Ford Clinic is the single best, most touching account of recovery from alcoholism I've ever read. A writer by trade, Conrad's account is gripping, self-effacing, sympathetic, and deeply compassionate to those whom he met in rehab, some of whom were not nearly as fortunate as Conrad. Highly recommended.
Cathy Sargent

This is the most searing account of alcoholism ever written. I agree with other reviewers. I couldn't put this book down! Truly astonishing. I love to listen to the audio recorded version on long car trips.
Susan
Read it twice!
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Kathleen Hollingsworth
Kathleen Hollingsworth marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Brandon Reilly
Brandon Reilly is currently reading it
May 16, 2013
Adam Spradlin
Adam Spradlin marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Alex Schenker
Alex Schenker marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
Bonnie G.
Bonnie G. marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Snoopy's Guide to the Writing Life Matador 101 Best Scenes Ever Written: A Romp Through Literature for Writers and Readers The Death of Manolete The Complete Guide to Writing Fiction