Start by marking “Time is All We Have: Four Weeks at the Betty Ford Center” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Time is All We Have: F...

Barnaby Conrad

Time is All We Have: Four Weeks at the Betty Ford Center

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  21 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A riveting personal account of one man's lifelong battle with alcoholism and a look inside the most famous drug and alcohol treatment center in the world.
Published November 1st 1986 by Arbor House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Time is All We Have, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time is All We Have

Steele Dimmock
Amazing! This book has scared me off alcohol, I'm not sure for how long but definitely a while. Barnaby Conrad takes the reader through his time in rehab. The story is rich, detailed and filled with emotion. I found myself welling up at one point - a big shot businessman wanted to leave rehab and the support group got him to lay down as though he was in a coffin and began to impersonate his close family and friends. Really touching.

The book is written by a professional writer and it shows. Exper
Kim Le
Jan 24, 2017 Kim Le rated it it was amazing
I usually just rate books and skip the review part but I have to say a few words about this one. A year ago I was in rehab for alcohol use disorder and by the grace of God I am now sober and thriving. I've read many books about addiction and treatment and believe this one hit closest to home, even though it was published a while ago. Was definitely an accurate representation of what treatment was like. Highly recommend!
Gizzard
Oct 11, 2011 Gizzard rated it liked it
With the horrible new EBSCO library audiobook system, it can be difficult to find books to listen to. Mainly because it is so hard to work with this system. So I chose this book because it sounded interesting and popped up at the beginning of a list.

Well, it was interesting. This has Conrad's personal story and stories about the Betty Ford Center rehab system. At times the book is a regurgitation of alcohol info and AA philosophy. Additionally, some of the rambling side bars, both Conrad's life
Melody
Dec 08, 2014 Melody rated it liked it
Though my favorite part was the Ray Bradbury quote in the epilogue, I enjoyed the rest of it as well. Conrad was totally unfamiliar to me before I got this on hoopla for bedtime listening, but by the end of it I felt like I sort of knew him. But not his wife, not his kids. He kept the viewpoint very tight upon himself and his fellow rehab-mates. An interesting look inside the Betty Ford Center, back when Betty was still alive. Kind of dated, kind of sad.
Mark
Mar 16, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This account of the late Barnaby Conrad's time in the Betty Ford Clinic is the single best, most touching account of recovery from alcoholism I've ever read. A writer by trade, Conrad's account is gripping, self-effacing, sympathetic, and deeply compassionate to those whom he met in rehab, some of whom were not nearly as fortunate as Conrad. Highly recommended.
Cathy Sargent
Dec 06, 2013 Cathy Sargent rated it it was amazing

This is the most searing account of alcoholism ever written. I agree with other reviewers. I couldn't put this book down! Truly astonishing. I love to listen to the audio recorded version on long car trips.
Leslie Goddard
Oct 10, 2016 Leslie Goddard rated it liked it
Strikingly readable story of one man's stay at the Betty Ford Center. Revealing and insightful.
Diana Donnelly
Diana Donnelly rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2012
Josie
Josie rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Crystal West
Crystal West rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2011
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 09, 2010
Stephanie Mackey
Stephanie Mackey rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2013
Adam Spradlin
Adam Spradlin rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Ann May
Ann May rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2008
Grant
Grant rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Dov Grumberg
Dov Grumberg rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Louis
Louis rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2014
She Davis
She Davis rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Hope
Hope rated it liked it
May 25, 2012
Helen Andrews
Helen Andrews rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Bethgail
Bethgail rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Brandon Reilly
Brandon Reilly is currently reading it
May 16, 2013
Kathleen Hollingsworth
Kathleen Hollingsworth marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Ky
Ky marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Edna Quammie
Edna Quammie marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Jessica Gilpatrick
Jessica Gilpatrick marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2017
Nancy Rivers
Nancy Rivers marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2017
Alex Schenker
Alex Schenker marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013