Start by marking “The Supreme Commander: The War Years of General Dwight D. Eisenhower” as Want to Read:
The Supreme Commander: The War Years of General Dwight D. Eisenhower

The Supreme Commander: The War Years of General Dwight D. Eisenhower

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In North Africa, on the beaches at Normandy, and in the Battle of the Bulge, Dwight David Eisenhower proved himself as one of the world's greatest military leaders. Faced with conciliating or disagreeing with such stormy figures as Churchill, Roosevelt, and DeGaulle, and generals like Montgomery and Patton, General Eisenhower showed himself to be as skillful a diplomat as...more
Published November 1st 1999 by University Press of Mississippi (first published June 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Supreme Commander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Supreme Commander

John Nevola
While rife with adulation for Eisenhower, The Supreme Commander is essential reading for those who yearn for a deeper understanding of the Allied victory in Europe. Ambrose does a very credible job of explaining the challenges facing any commander of a force as large as the one assembled to retake Europe. But due to his unique relationship and intimate knowledge of Eisenhower the person, he brings great insight into this work.

Why was an American placed in charge of this huge multi-national forc...more
Larry
This is one of Stephen Ambrose's first efforts after working with Dwight Eisenhower on Eisenhower's personal papers (The Supreme Commander first published in 1970). It is obvious that he was still very much infatuated by Ike's persona at this point in time. As such The Supreme Commander can tell almost as much about Stephen Ambrose as it does Dwight Eisenhower. As other reviewers noted, the criticism of Eisenhower's Hurtgen Forest campaign, the army's replacement policy, and the segregated army...more
DPUTiger (amy hughes)
I'm glad I read this, although there were (many) days I wasn't sure I was going to finish before my library book expired. I've called a house on Eisenhower Drive home for most of my life, so it seemed fitting that I read this book on Ike. Although I was a history major, I wasn't particularly good at doing all of my assigned reading, so this did feel a bit like I was back in class.

As I was finishing this book (read the last 120 pages in one sitting), I could feel my favorite college history prof...more
Dale
This book is a detailed, technical account of Eisenhower's World War II service. It does focus a great deal on the personalities of the leaders involved, notably DeGaulle and Montgomery. I enjoyed the book, but a casual WWII reader would likely get bogged down in this level of detail. What I found most interesting was the significant foreign policy aspects of Eisenhower's position. I finished the book thinking that Eisenhower was far better qualified to be President than most people give him cre...more
Dan Ward
This is a long book to read. Very long with incredible amounts of detail. I wouldn't reccomend it as your first shot of learing about Ike's life. If you are really interested in the nitty gritty details or WWII in the European theater then this book is interesting. I found the political mess that Eisenhower had to wade through particulary fascinating. It is amazing that at some point he didn't just throw his hands up and say forget it with all the pressure he recieved from the US, England and Fr...more
Danny Houghton
Very good book that gave me a commander's view of the ground war in Europe, and a glimpse of the diplomacy required to keep the allied command unified in vision and focus. Ike was a great Supreme Commander.

Liked how Ambrose presented Ike's view, while also doing a good job of representing the views of his subsidiary generals. Brought up a rather resounding distaste for Monty.
Miles Mathews
Ambrose's book is superb! Anyone seeking to understand the difficulties involved in commanding allied military forces will benefit immensely from this work. As an academic historian, I found Ambrose's book well-researched and his conclusions sound. Highly recommended!
Ross Cohen

A details-heavy, hagiographic account of Ike's years as the Supreme Allied Commander. Though too dense for one with a beginner's interest in - and knowledge of - WWII, "The Supreme Commander" is supremely satisfying.
Andrew Reynolds
Great book - a good insight into Eisenhower during WWII.
Xdw
ike in africa, italy, and france. quite good
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Basem.android
Basem.android marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Chad Rathbun
Chad Rathbun marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Andrea Locke
Andrea Locke marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Tony Gervais
Tony Gervais marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Jake Roese
Jake Roese marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Jody
Jody marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Eric Toth
Eric Toth marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Rich Hornbuckle
Rich Hornbuckle marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Travis
Travis is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2014
  • Eisenhower: A Soldier's Life
  • Shifty's War: The Authorized Biography of Sergeant Darrell "Shifty" Powers, the Legendary Sharpshooter from the Band of Brothers
  • Blackett's War: The Men Who Defeated the Nazi U-Boats and Brought Science to the Art of Warfare
  • The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy, and King—the Five-Star Admirals Who Won the War at Sea
  • Crusade in Europe
  • Stuka Pilot
  • A Soldier's Story
  • Chesty: The Story of Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC
  • Bomber Command
  • Up Front
  • Baa Baa Black Sheep
  • Operatives, Spies, and Saboteurs: The Unknown Story of the Men and Women of World War II's OSS
  • Louis D. Brandeis
  • The Two-Ocean War
  • The Guns at Last Light: The War in Western Europe, 1944-1945 (World War II Liberation Trilogy, #3)
  • Masters and Commanders: The Military Geniuses Who Led the West to Victory in World War II
  • Currahee!: A Screaming Eagle at Normandy
  • This Hallowed Ground: The story of the Union Side of the Civil War
Stephen Edward Ambrose was an American historian and biographer of U.S. Presidents Dwight Eisenhower and Richard M. Nixon. He received his Ph.D. in 1960 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

More about Stephen E. Ambrose...
Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest Undaunted Courage: The Pioneering First Mission to Explore America's Wild Frontier D-Day, June 6, 1944: The Battle for the Normandy Beaches Citizen Soldiers: The U S Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany Nothing Like it in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-69