Im Banne des schwarzen Schwertes (Elric, #5)

Im Banne des schwarzen Schwertes (The Elric Saga #5)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  4,191 ratings  ·  35 reviews
In diesem fünften Band des Zyklus trifft Elric von Melniboné, während er mit seinem treuen Gefährten Mondmatt in die Wälder von Troos ausreitet, auf die schöne Zarozinia, Tochter eines Handelsherrn in Karlaak. Elric plant, das Mädchen in seine ferne Heimat zu bringen, verliebt sich in sie und beschließt, sein Leben als Abenteurer mit dem eines glücklichen Ehemanns zu verta...more
Taschenbuch, Deutsche Erstveröffentlichung, 157 pages
Published 1981 by Heyne (first published 1977)

Sath
The 5th and penultimate in the Elric series, like the previous books it's divided into 3 short stories.
In the first The stealer of souls, Elric has another run in with the sorceror Theleba K'aarna, who is still insanely mad at Elric for 'making' Yishana fall in love with him. But of course it's not Elric's fault, he's just naturally good with the ladies, and he doesn't even want Yishana.
Then Kings in Darkness, where Elric finds and falls in love with Zarozinia. It must be love this time, as Elr...more
Evgeny
The fifth Elric book contains four interconnecting stories. It starts right where the previous book left: with a confrontation between the albino and his old enemy. Elric finally gets to live a quiet life - for a while. No Eternal Champion ever enjoys his life for long.

The book is notable for its epilog. It talks about (yet another) attack on Tanelorn. The city of piece sure gets into trouble way too often. What is unusual is that it is completely unrelated to Elric, or the rest of the series....more
Chris
Here we are. Back to ass-kicking Elric with Hellsword in hand: "The Eastern warriors spread out in a half circle as they rode down on the companions, yelling wild war-shouts. Elric reared his mount to a savage standstill and met the first rider with Stormbringer's point full in the man's throat. There was a stink like brimstone as it pierced flesh and the warrior drew a ghastly choking breath as he died, his eyes staring out in full realization of his terrible fate - that Stormbringer drank soul...more
Keely
There is an unusual tonal conflict central to almost all of the Elric series between the complex, metaphysical, magical world and the rather straightforward, formulaic characters. Elric, himself shows some complexity and nuanced introspection in the very first story, but then the focus changes and we embark upon a sequence of adventures where a recognizable pattern emerges.

Again and again we see Elric battling against difficult odds, his terrible sword at first ably defending him, but soon its s...more
Robert Beveridge
Michael Moorcock, The Bane of the Black Sword (DAW, 1977)

The fifth of the six classic Elric novels picks up, as is usual with these books, where the fourth leaves off. Moorcock sets the last pieces of the puzzle into place (and here, we get a chance to see how everything that has come before is building to the climactic novel, Stormbringer), introducing us to Zarozinia, the love of Elric's life (and most of his motivation for continuing on the path upon which he was set in The Vanishing Tower)....more
Brent Hayward
1) Elric abandons friends and/or lovers, due to his lame cultural background, seeking trouble.
2) Elric slaughters everyone: return to number one. If not:
3) Elric calls upon an angry god to resolve the problem: return to number one. If not:
4) Elric is rendered unconscious but will wake up with sword neglectfully placed by the enemy very nearby: return to number one...

I have decided to read only the first six books, as opposed to the cagillion out there. This whole Elric saga is starting to take i...more
F.T.
Book Five. Every time I finish one of the books in this series I think, I'll read something else before the next one...but end up slavering for another one of these cookies instead. Though the writing in these books lacks polish—a red pen in the hands of an editor these days might leave it looking like one of the gory slaughterfests the author so graphically describes—I'm not that concerned.

Elric is the ultimate tortured soul. Not a good man, he is steeped in ten thousand years of sorcerous ance...more
Jorge
(Este comentario abarca tres libros que leí en una compilación en francés, Elric le nécromancien, y que en inglés abarca al menos los libros The Weird of the White Wolf, The Bane of the Black Sword y Stormbringer. Así, este comentario se repite en los citados libros)

¿Qué se puede decir de la saga de Elric que no se haya dicho ya? La llaman “fantasía épica oscura”, es una gran tragedia, una cosmogonía que narra hechos ocurridos, supuestamente, mucho antes de los registros geológicos de la Tierra....more
Πέτρος
Notice: I have made a review for every book of this series and they need to be read in order since they are supposed to feel like an on-going impression. So if you read the second without reading the first will feel rather off.

I am mostly focusing on the style of storytelling and a lot less on if it reads well or something sophisticated like that. For the same reason I tend to have lots of SPOILERS which means that if you read this text you will know THE OVERALL PLOT and how much I DIDN’T like...more
David Sarkies
Mar 24, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like something different in their fantasy
Recommended to David by: A girl at high school
Shelves: fantasy
Is this a way cool sword or what
10 May 2013

I wonder whether one can consider Elric's sword Stormbringer to actually be a character in itself. Okay, the sword doesn't speak, but it does seem to have a will of its own, which is probably why I had the sword turn on Elric in the short story that I wrote for year 12 English. Well, I think to suggest that the sword is a character is a little misleading since it is not actually the sword that is the character but rather the demon that has been impriso...more
sologdin
Four more Elric stories. These stories are really the model for collectible card games: one player summons some undeads; the other counters with air elementals; the first pulls out a quaolnargn card; then the other ripostes with a kyrenee or dragonriders, next plays his floating ships of Xerlerenes or fire-things--and so on, until someone is deadmeats.

First story puts paid to the antagonist from volume IV. Only item of interest therein is that Elric gets to the antagonist because a merchant grou...more
Gileblit
Siskoid Albert
Elric Book 5 - The Bane of the Black Sword is a return to form for Michael Moorcock's tales of the Albino Prince, his best since Book 1, and it's all down to the language. Book 5 has that Shakespearean turn of phrase, a formalism shared by both the characters and the omniscient narrator that gives this epic the right feel and this reader the most aesthetic pleasure. I've felt that the previous three books' prose had been a little plain in comparison. Again, the volume is divided into three Elric...more
Rex Hughes
The magic returns with the fifth volume of the Elric saga. The first part infuses the antihero with a striking reality and a wry personality, demonstrating Moorcock's strong sense of maddened sorcery in some of his earlier work ("The Stealer of Souls" trio belonged to the original cycle of stories within Science Fantasy magazine, making the accepted chronology and the date of writing an interesting aspect of the saga's evolution). Many of the scenes in "Stealer of Souls" put me in mind of "The T...more
Rey Mysterioso
Stormbringer defied.

I picture it, howling and screaming through the air, having been discarded by Elric on drake-back. Streaking like a poison arrow to go and hide back in its niche in the armory.

Tamed by love? Hardly. Not even Elric is tamed, and he is far more the softer of the two. No, not tamed. But foiled. Temporarily. Stormbringer, like everything off-stage in this world, plays the long game, and even a defeat is nothing more than a setback.
Bertrand
Les aventures du héros d’heroic-fantasy le plus sombre et le plus tourmenté de la création continuent. Elric continue de combattre son adversaire le sorcier de Pan Tang, puis s’en va essayer de trouver le repos auprès de Zarozinia, mettant son épée maudite de côté. Parviendra-t-il à trouver la paix et la rédemption auxquelles il aspire ?
Un tome solide de la saga d’Elric, dans la veine de La Sorcière Dormante, même s’il ne s’agit pas d’un des romans-clefs de l’œuvre.
Kevin
Book One, I wasn't to crazy with the way that Theleb K'aarana allowed Elric to be released. In past encounters it seemed that the Pan Tang sorcerer was smart enough to kill Elric as soon as he fell into his grasp.
Book Two Elric's great arrogance and thirst for vengeance lands his companions in yet another trap.
Book Three Elric and Moonglum must rise to their greatest challenge so far as the battle a horde of invaders a half million strong.
Rob
Oct 27, 2007 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fanatasy Fans
I loved Elric of Melnibone. He was such a great character. And I loved the stories with him in them.

They were dark, rather frightening and damned good reads.

I was digging through my library this afternoon when I stumbled on this. It had been so long I just had to read it. It's just as fun as the first time.

The shock, though, was the price. $1.25. It's a bit disheartening to see how little books cost in 1977.
Steve Blanchette
This was my least favorite Elric novel so far. A lot of the same old average stuff without any of the great original things. No other planes of existence, a ridiculous attempt at love, uninteresting sorcery, and they save the day again. The first few books were unique, original, and fun. This one seems lazy and vanilla and ended up rather boring.
Wayne
Most of this book is part of the "Stealer of Souls" omnibus I read a year ago. It does have one story not in the omnibus, which I just read. This story dealt with Rackhir the Red Archer trying to save Tanelorn from an army of chaos. I enjoyed the story, and wish there was more written about Rackhir than the few stories and appearances he has.
Tom
Sep 05, 2007 Tom rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy and Dark fiction fans
Shelves: fantasy
Elric of Melnibone continues his adventures in the fifth book of the series attempting to gain vengeance against his implacable foes.

The Albino Prince brings death and destruction to everyone he meets as usual while this book leads nicely to the concluding volume and remains an easy and entertaining read.
Sffgeek
Yet another title re-printing the same Elric stories. They seem to shuffle them every new edition and change the title so punters are conned into paying for the same thing again. Probably because Moorcock hasn't written much worth reading since the late 50s...
Christopher
[Re-read] I had forgotten that (view spoiler) in this. In fact, I had forgotten all these stories completely--the undead king, the Eastern horde, Rackhir's quest to get help from the Grey Lords, etc. They're not the best, but I enjoyed it.
Chilly SavageMelon
I love these Elric books, the best stuff Moorcock did. It's genre pulp so don't look for high-mindedness. But a classic anti-hero, whoopin ass with sword and sorcery. I first found these around 13 and they still hold up...at least for my inner 13 year old.
Onefinemess
See here as I reviewed it with Elric #4. Sorry for some of the strange formatting - I'm uploading my review archive from my blog.
Josh
This one was really good. I think it could've had more of an ending about Elric but there are more of these novels by Moorcock and I think he knew while writing this one, that he wasn't quite done with Elric yet.. \m/
Ron
Elric returns to Yishana, and finds peace at last. Meanwhile, at the world's rim, dragging red horror in its wake, a horde unimaginable moves on the fabled, gentle, impossible city Tanelorn.
Alexander Draganov
Original and entertaining "Swords & Sorcery" book, which contained four interesting stories. Elric is a great character and I like him much more than Conan the Barbarian, for example.
Shannon Appelcline
Generally, good quality Elric stories, very much in his early S&S style. "To Rescue Tanelorn" drags the collection down.
Peter Coad
A great story of magic and mayhem, I read his series about 32 years ago and still remember much of it.
  • Swords Against Wizardry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #4)
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf (Michael Moorcock's Elric)
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone
  • Elric: Stormbringer
  • Darkness Weaves
  • Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2)
  • Tales From the Vulgar Unicorn (Thieves' World, #2)
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,...more
More about Michael Moorcock...
Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1) Stormbringer (Elric, #6) The Vanishing Tower (Elric, #4) The Weird of the White Wolf (The Elric Saga, #3) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2)