Start by marking “Im Banne des schwarzen Schwertes (Elric, #5)” as Want to Read:
Im Banne des schwarzen Schwertes (Elric, #5)

Im Banne des schwarzen Schwertes (The Elric Saga #5)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  5,079 ratings  ·  52 reviews
In diesem fünften Band des Zyklus trifft Elric von Melniboné, während er mit seinem treuen Gefährten Mondmatt in die Wälder von Troos ausreitet, auf die schöne Zarozinia, Tochter eines Handelsherrn in Karlaak. Elric plant, das Mädchen in seine ferne Heimat zu bringen, verliebt sich in sie und beschließt, sein Leben als Abenteurer mit dem eines glücklichen Ehemanns zu verta ...more
Taschenbuch, Deutsche Erstveröffentlichung, 157 pages
Published 1981 by Heyne (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Im Banne des schwarzen Schwertes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Im Banne des schwarzen Schwertes

The 5th and penultimate in the Elric series, like the previous books it's divided into 3 short stories.
In the first The stealer of souls, Elric has another run in with the sorceror Theleba K'aarna, who is still insanely mad at Elric for 'making' Yishana fall in love with him. But of course it's not Elric's fault, he's just naturally good with the ladies, and he doesn't even want Yishana.
Then Kings in Darkness, where Elric finds and falls in love with Zarozinia. It must be love this time, as Elr
The fifth Elric book contains four interconnecting stories. It starts right where the previous book left: with a confrontation between the albino and his old enemy. Elric finally gets to live a quiet life - for a while. No Eternal Champion ever enjoys his life for long.

The book is notable for its epilog. It talks about (yet another) attack on Tanelorn. The city of piece sure gets into trouble way too often. What is unusual is that it is completely unrelated to Elric, or the rest of the series.
J.G. Keely
There is an unusual tonal conflict central to almost all of the Elric series between the complex, metaphysical, magical world and the rather straightforward, formulaic characters. Elric, himself shows some complexity and nuanced introspection in the very first story, but then the focus changes and we embark upon a sequence of adventures where a recognizable pattern emerges.

Again and again we see Elric battling against difficult odds, his terrible sword at first ably defending him, but soon its s
Here we are. Back to ass-kicking Elric with Hellsword in hand: "The Eastern warriors spread out in a half circle as they rode down on the companions, yelling wild war-shouts. Elric reared his mount to a savage standstill and met the first rider with Stormbringer's point full in the man's throat. There was a stink like brimstone as it pierced flesh and the warrior drew a ghastly choking breath as he died, his eyes staring out in full realization of his terrible fate - that Stormbringer drank soul ...more
Pelo título não é muito difícil imaginar o que acontece no livro, muito embora o que eu esperava ler e que poderia explicar o título por não ter o tipo de desenvolvimento que eu esperava. Mais uma vez o autor se prende ao perigoso vínculo de Elric e Stormbringer e aproveitar para tratar de alguns assuntos ainda não abordados na série, referentes à cosmologia criada por ele. Não é algo com extremo detalhe, mas ajuda o leitor a entender um pouco melhor o universo criado pelo Michael.

O autor se pre
Robert Beveridge
Michael Moorcock, The Bane of the Black Sword (DAW, 1977)

The fifth of the six classic Elric novels picks up, as is usual with these books, where the fourth leaves off. Moorcock sets the last pieces of the puzzle into place (and here, we get a chance to see how everything that has come before is building to the climactic novel, Stormbringer), introducing us to Zarozinia, the love of Elric's life (and most of his motivation for continuing on the path upon which he was set in The Vanishing Tower).
Brent Hayward
1) Elric abandons friends and/or lovers, due to his lame cultural background, seeking trouble.
2) Elric slaughters everyone: return to number one. If not:
3) Elric calls upon an angry god to resolve the problem: return to number one. If not:
4) Elric is rendered unconscious but will wake up with sword neglectfully placed by the enemy very nearby: return to number one...

I have decided to read only the first six books, as opposed to the cagillion out there. This whole Elric saga is starting to take i
Edward Rathke
Enjoyed this one. I do think it's probably best not to binge with these books since the structure is fairly similar throughout each individual novel and even in the novellas that make up the novels.

Still, this was good. We've found a sense of possible redemption or salvation for Elric, or at least a way to move past his endless tragedy. Curious to get to the last volume, though I don't have a copy yet. But I like the current trajectory of the story, though I imagine it's all gloom and doom from
Finally, a book that lives up to the promise of the first book of the Elric series.

This one starts out in the familiar way - broken up into a series of short stories. The first one shows us ELric dealing with the leftover troubles from the last book - this time our good friend the Sorcerer Theleb finally gets the death he richly deserves. This particular story was one of my favorites, where Elric teams up with his old friend the Dragon-Keeper from Melnibone and his band of surviving warriors - t
Book Five. Every time I finish one of the books in this series I think, I'll read something else before the next one...but end up slavering for another one of these cookies instead. Though the writing in these books lacks polish—a red pen in the hands of an editor these days might leave it looking like one of the gory slaughterfests the author so graphically describes—I'm not that concerned.

Elric is the ultimate tortured soul. Not a good man, he is steeped in ten thousand years of sorcerous ance
This one managed to encapsulate part of what makes Elric and all his people different than humans AND revealed a deeper truth about fair Tanelorn! Well done by the author.
Jeff Doten
This is a reread for me, I'm definitely in the Elric camp. Reading it on the train ( digital edition ) gave me an appreciation of the the shorter tales. I skipped out of the 4th Red Archer tale, for me that fell into Moorcock's 'bare bones, I have an adventure to tell you about about, but I'm going to skip any characterization or any other reason you should care mode '. Back to Elric - he throws his sword Stormbringer away at the end of it. Now I have to figure out which one follows after that, ...more
East Bay J
While reading Bane Of The Black Sword and looking at the cover of this edition, I'm reminded of how much Moorcock has influenced and been involved in music. This cover was used by Cirith Ungol for their second album, King Of The Dead, while the cover of Sailor On The Seas Of Fate was used for their third album, King Of The Dead and the cover of Stormbringer was used on their first album, Frost And Fire. There are two Diamond Head LPs with Elric themed art, though not by Michael Whelan. Not to me ...more
(Este comentario abarca tres libros que leí en una compilación en francés, Elric le nécromancien, y que en inglés abarca al menos los libros The Weird of the White Wolf, The Bane of the Black Sword y Stormbringer. Así, este comentario se repite en los citados libros)

¿Qué se puede decir de la saga de Elric que no se haya dicho ya? La llaman “fantasía épica oscura”, es una gran tragedia, una cosmogonía que narra hechos ocurridos, supuestamente, mucho antes de los registros geológicos de la Tierra.
Notice: I have made a review for every book of this series and they need to be read in order since they are supposed to feel like an on-going impression. So if you read the second without reading the first will feel rather off.

I am mostly focusing on the style of storytelling and a lot less on if it reads well or something sophisticated like that. For the same reason I tend to have lots of SPOILERS which means that if you read this text you will know THE OVERALL PLOT and how much I DIDN’T like
David Sarkies
Mar 24, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like something different in their fantasy
Recommended to David by: A girl at high school
Shelves: fantasy
Is this a way cool sword or what
10 May 2013

I wonder whether one can consider Elric's sword Stormbringer to actually be a character in itself. Okay, the sword doesn't speak, but it does seem to have a will of its own, which is probably why I had the sword turn on Elric in the short story that I wrote for year 12 English. Well, I think to suggest that the sword is a character is a little misleading since it is not actually the sword that is the character but rather the demon that has been impriso
Four more Elric stories. These stories are really the model for collectible card games: one player summons some undeads; the other counters with air elementals; the first pulls out a quaolnargn card; then the other ripostes with a kyrenee or dragonriders, next plays his floating ships of Xerlerenes or fire-things--and so on, until someone is deadmeats.

First story puts paid to the antagonist from volume IV. Only item of interest therein is that Elric gets to the antagonist because a merchant grou
Siskoid Albert
Elric Book 5 - The Bane of the Black Sword is a return to form for Michael Moorcock's tales of the Albino Prince, his best since Book 1, and it's all down to the language. Book 5 has that Shakespearean turn of phrase, a formalism shared by both the characters and the omniscient narrator that gives this epic the right feel and this reader the most aesthetic pleasure. I've felt that the previous three books' prose had been a little plain in comparison. Again, the volume is divided into three Elric ...more
Rex Hughes
The magic returns with the fifth volume of the Elric saga. The first part infuses the antihero with a striking reality and a wry personality, demonstrating Moorcock's strong sense of maddened sorcery in some of his earlier work ("The Stealer of Souls" trio belonged to the original cycle of stories within Science Fantasy magazine, making the accepted chronology and the date of writing an interesting aspect of the saga's evolution). Many of the scenes in "Stealer of Souls" put me in mind of "The T ...more
Soledad P
Me costó terminarlo, la verdad es que la historia decayó un poco. Los personajes femeninos nunca han destacado mucho en esta saga, por lo que me sorprende que uno de los menos tratados se haya convertido en esposa de Elric. Pero bueno, al final la historia agarra vuelo y se agradece el bonus sobre las aventuras de Rackhir, creo que fue lo que más disfruté del libro.
Sven Mysterioso
Stormbringer defied.

I picture it, howling and screaming through the air, having been discarded by Elric on drake-back. Streaking like a poison arrow to go and hide back in its niche in the armory.

Tamed by love? Hardly. Not even Elric is tamed, and he is far more the softer of the two. No, not tamed. But foiled. Temporarily. Stormbringer, like everything off-stage in this world, plays the long game, and even a defeat is nothing more than a setback.
Vladimir Ivanov
Ещё три новеллы о приключениях Элрика, среднего качества, не особо плохо, не особо хорошо. В качестве эпилога пришит совершенно неуместный отдельный рассказ, видимо, по принципу "не пропадать же добру". Можно читать, можно не читать.
J.j. Metsavana
Elricul, kelle elu ju teadupärast üks hädaorg, hakkab viimaks ka hästi minema. Melniboonlased hakkavad vaikselt vanast vihast üle saama, tekib uus pruut ning isegi must mõõk ei rõhu enam niiväga hinge. Veelgi enam - Elric isegi leiab mingid maarohud, mis aitavad tal mõõgasõltuvusest üle olla. Ühesõnaga ühe Elricu raamatu kohta üllavalt positiivse tooniga tekst. Täitsa loetav kraam veel pealegi, välja arvatud ehk viimane jutt, kus punane kütt jälle madistas. Mind isiklikult jätab see paraleelmaai ...more
It's no less sexist and weird than the previous entries, but it marks a return to the lithe yet wild writing that drew me into the series. I was starting to feel that the series was struggling through book four and I wasn't sure I would keep reading them, but this book renewed my faith. Hopefully the last book is as good as this one!
Frank Lechuga
Elric is a classic anti-hero. Unlike Tolkein, Moorcock evoked for us an evil empire from within. Elric is one of its dark nobles...
Isaac Clarke
მორჩა კინო.

მე ამ კაცის ნერვები აღარ მაქვს.

ემო რომ გავხდები მერე მოვუბრუნდები ელრიკს.
Eric Orchard
A very enjoyable, if somewhat less coherent, Elric novel. Strangely, I think I liked the epilogue best.
Les aventures du héros d’heroic-fantasy le plus sombre et le plus tourmenté de la création continuent. Elric continue de combattre son adversaire le sorcier de Pan Tang, puis s’en va essayer de trouver le repos auprès de Zarozinia, mettant son épée maudite de côté. Parviendra-t-il à trouver la paix et la rédemption auxquelles il aspire ?
Un tome solide de la saga d’Elric, dans la veine de La Sorcière Dormante, même s’il ne s’agit pas d’un des romans-clefs de l’œuvre.
  • Swords in the Mist (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #3)
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone
  • Night Winds
  • Elric: Stormbringer
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf (Michael Moorcock's Elric)
  • Conan the Usurper (Conan, #8)
  • Tales From the Vulgar Unicorn (Thieves' World, #2)
  • Rhialto the Marvellous (The Dying Earth, #4)
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

The Elric Saga (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1)
  • The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2)
  • The Weird of the White Wolf (The Elric Saga, #3)
  • The Vanishing Tower (Elric, #4)
  • Stormbringer (Elric, #6)
  • Elric at the End of Time (Elric, #7)
  • The Fortress of the Pearl (Elric #8)
  • The Revenge of the Rose (Elric, #9)
  • The Dreamthief's Daughter
  • The Skrayling Tree: The Albino in America (Elric & Oona Von Bek, #2)