Start by marking “David Brinkley” as Want to Read:
David Brinkley

David Brinkley

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  147 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
David Brinkley, icon of the American airwaves, has written his autobiography, a classic American story which overlaps with some of the great events and important personages of the era. From playing poker with Truman to riding the rails with Churchill to walking the beaches with D-Day veterans, readers are privy to some of Brinkley's most priceless remembrances. of photos.
Published October 10th 1995 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about David Brinkley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about David Brinkley

Jeff
Feb 23, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was first published in my blog: http://sagecoveredhills.blogspot.com/...

A friend lent me this book over a year ago and since David Brinkley is a Southerner (like me), I decided I needed to read it and return it before dry rot sets in. Not only are we both Southerners, Brinkley and I in the same town, just forty years apart. I became aware of the large world around me through reading the Star News and watching Brinkley and Huntley on our local NBC affiliate. Reading Brinkleyâs memoirs
Steve
May 11, 2012 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: journalism
I got what I expected from this autobiography/memoir of David Brinkley, a television journalist who many remember on Sunday mornings with ABC's "This Week with David Brinkley" -- renamend now with current ABC host George Stephanopoulos. But I also remember Brinkley's teaming with Chet Huntley on NBC's Huntley-Brinkley Report, the Peacock Network's award-winning nightly newscast that rivaled CBS's Walter Cronkite for the evening news audience.

It is a biography -- a look back into how Brinkley mov
Rosa Ramôa
May 15, 2015 Rosa Ramôa rated it really liked it

"Um homem de sucesso é aquele que cria uma parede com os tijolos que lhe atiraram".
(David Brinkley)
Brian
Oct 26, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the stories that Brinkley told in this book. The problem was that it sounded exactly if he had spoken them into a dictaphone. Writing that imitates speech can work in some cases. Here, it detracted from what otherwise could have been a great book. For every amusing story about a politician, there was a grammatical error. Many sentences lacked verbs. Couldn't the folks at Knopf done a better job editing this?
ShareStories
Apr 21, 2012 ShareStories rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For someone as old as David Brinkley lived to be, his Memoir was history almost before he finished writing it. He covers his childhood in the American South and his early career which coincided with early radio and television.

A valuable book which covers a time and an author that has sadly passed.
Thom
Dec 13, 2010 Thom rated it liked it
I heard this book on tape, read by the author. Mr. Brinkley has a very pleasant way of speaking. It's an interesting story, historically. Journalism moving from print to radio to television.
Colleen
Dec 27, 2010 Colleen rated it liked it
I loved watching This Week with David Brinkley, yet found myself slightly disappointed with this book. A good man, yet not the one I had made him to be in my mind.
Nancy
Jan 07, 2010 Nancy rated it liked it
I did not know David Brinkley was from Wilmington, NC. It was interesting to read about the birth and evolution of TV news.
Grandma
Jan 06, 2008 Grandma rated it really liked it
I found this a surprisingly readable book. Brinkley has a wry sense of humor that carries over into his writing.
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Heba
Heba marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Kai Fontenot
Kai Fontenot marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Sarah Hord
Sarah Hord marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Glenna
Glenna rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Becky Smith
Becky Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Noel Hatch
Noel Hatch rated it it was ok
Feb 14, 2016
John Lane
John Lane rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Howard
Howard rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
John Deltuvia
John Deltuvia rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Valdon Smith
Valdon Smith rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Jason Hojnacki
Jason Hojnacki rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Neal fleming
Neal fleming marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
  • Notes of Debates in the Federal Convention of 1787 Reported by James Madison
  • A Reporter's Life
  • Inside the Company: CIA Diary
  • The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts
  • The Puritan Family: Religion and Domestic Relations in Seventeenth-Century New England
  • World of Our Fathers: The Journey of the East European Jews to America and the Life They Found and Made
Full name: David McClure Brinkley

Received:
*ten Emmy Awards
*three George Foster Peabody Awards
*Presidential Medal of Freedom

More about David Brinkley...