3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The environment, and the movement that grew up to protect it, is under attack—concerted and purposeful. Yet the need for solutions to pressing environmental problems grows more urgent each day. Teresa Heinz Kerry and Senator John Kerry describe how these issues unite people across party and ideological lines. From the San Juan Basin to the Gulf of Mexico to the South Bronx...more
Published March 26th 2007 by PublicAffairs (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about This Moment on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Moment on Earth

Rachael
I got this in the mail 2 days from Barnes and Noble.com before it was suppose to be released. I went to a Q & A/book signing the Kerrys did in Pittsburgh. The whole thing was very informative.

P.S. Buy a hybid! I will when I pay off the car I have now. Sadly, I can't afford to change cars right now.
Vincent
In this book, the senator and his wife take turns writing about some of the most urgent environmental issues facing our society. The focus is in trouble here in the US and there are chapters on air pollution, water quality, chemicals, pesticides etc. It's well done but not ground-breaking. Unfortunately nearly every anecdote and interview has shown up elsewhere previously. But it's an eye-opening book anyway and better than most politicians, who write books about patriotism or how they intend to...more
Todd Martin
Being an environmentalist (and working in the environmental field myself) I’ve been saddened to see an increasing public apathy (and in some cases, outright antipathy) to environmental issues and an environmental movement that has grown progressively more stale and ossified. For that reason I was intrigued by the title of Senator John Kerry’s book “This Moment on Earth: Today's New Environmentalists and Their Vision for the Future” (particularly since I voted for him in ‘04). My hopes were that...more
Anna
If you're concerned about the environment, but put off by all the war-mongering hippie, this book is for you. It really helps to discover the hidden environmentalist in all of us, especially in an age where the right demonizes the word (much like "liberal") and people on the left abuse it by pulling stunts like "eco-terrorism." So it's not a word that everyone likes applied to them, but the people in this book demonstrate how far from a typical "environmentalist" you can be and still care about...more
AmblingBooks
In this passionate and personal book, Senator John Kerry and Teresa Heinz Kerry shine the spotlight on an inspiring cross-section of today's new environmental pioneers. This Moment on Earth combines intensive research with keenly observed personal experiences to present a portrait of Americans devoted to the natural diversity and spectacular uniqueness of our country.

Listen to This Moment on Earth on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Adelle
This book made me pretty angry, but I expected it would. They present a lot of good tips at the end for how to make a difference.

One assertion in the book really disturbed me - that we only have 10 to make a significan impact on our climate changing activities before irreversible damage is done and climate change starts to free-fall.
Stephanie
Good overview of environmental issues and some good success stories. Mostly repeat for me.
Susan
Oct 10, 2007 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the environmentally concerned
Went to see Kerry and his wife speak and bought the book afterwards. It differs intellectually from Gore's "Assault on Reason," but that proves to be an asset. It is very readable with a focus on indivual efforts that made big differences on environmental problems.
Kurt
Serious in tone but not all that shocking or controversial, this is a straightforward plea for people to join the nontraditional environmentalists the authors have met in the course of their various campaigns. I enjoyed it, but it's hardly essential reading.
Julia
Apr 17, 2008 Julia added it
Much more lively and clearly-written than I thought it would be. But, after awhile got a bit dull. The format of John said, Teresa said, got a bit tiring at times. I wish that they would have just consolidated their views into one coherent book.
Jason
Jul 24, 2007 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I think it's an alright book. I like that they focus on making environmentalism less about being an "environmentalist" and more about just caring about your surroundings. I also like that they focus a lot on environmental justice as well.
Joanne
Jan 22, 2009 Joanne marked it as to-read
I purchased this in order to meet the junior senator and his wife, and exchanged a few words where I confused former secretaries Paulson and Snow, but I haven't really sat down with this yet, as Kerry's consolation prize for 04.
Amy
Did you know the Kerry's were so eco-knowledgeable? I didn't, but this book is a great display of their knowledge of the issue and highlights some of the more inspiring stories of today's unexpected environmentalists.
Barb

I listened to this on audio and it made me think, which I appreciated. I don't want to forget to check out the book itself, so that I can photocopy the appendix, which a great list of resources.
Catharine
Jun 19, 2007 Catharine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ANYONE CONCERNED WITH THEIR HEALTH
I'm not finished with this investigative work on the connections between what we eat/drink/breathe and the increasing illnesses that affect our population.
Frances
Ultimately makes many of the same points as other current enivornmental books. Some good annecdotes and a concise summary at the end.
Jenny
Excellent book! Similar to Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth." Makes you want to make a change NOW and help our Earth.
Desiree
Decent book on the environment. Not much I didn't already know, actually I found it kind of boring...
Topher
Kerry can put me to sleep through both his speeches AND his writing.
Erik
Sep 16, 2008 Erik added it
SIGNED
Vikkie Thorman
Vikkie Thorman marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
hallo
hallo marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Carol B
Carol B marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Alex Reverman
Alex Reverman marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
John Forbes Kerry is an American politician who is currently serving his fourth term as the junior United States Senator from Massachusetts. As the Presidential nominee of the Democratic Party, he was defeated in the 2004 presidential election by the Republican incumbent President George W. Bush. Senator Kerry is currently the Chairman of the United States Senate Committee on Small Business and En...more
More about John F. Kerry...
A Call to Service: My Vision for a Better America Our Plan for America: Stronger At Home, Respected In The World New Soldier The New War: The Web of Crime That Threatens America's Security Sri Lanka: Recharting U. S. Strategy After the War