Start by marking “The Alternate-Day Diet” as Want to Read:
The Alternate-Day Diet

The Alternate-Day Diet

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  189 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The original intermittent fasting plan: easy to follow, effective, and science-basedThe Alternate-Day Diet is based on scientific and clinical studies that show how restricting calories only every other day activates a gene called SIRT1?the ?skinny? gene?which results in reduced inflammation, improved insulin resistance, better cellular energy production, and releasing fat ...more
Published April 10th 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Alternate-Day Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alternate-Day Diet

Julia
Feb 28, 2009 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I have been following this lifestyle for just over 9 months since discovering it online, and I consider it utterly revolutionary; I plan to do it for the rest of my life, and I believe that everyone (who is medically capable) should do so as well. Few things have changed my life as dramatically as this diet. I moderate an online community with over 300 members and the overwhelming majority agree with me.

Most notably, in addition to the obvious benefit of achieving and maintaining a slender figu
Apr 22, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
I like the concept of intermittent fasting, but I don't think this guy presented it as well as other authors. The science seemed forced and without context. The chapters themselves were confusing. One was on how the most important factor was weight, preferably having a BMI of 21, followed by a chapter on how you could be overweight and healthy (if you're an intermittent faster), and weight didn't really matter that much. The sources for this book seemed less that similar books on this type of di ...more
Heather
Jan 15, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
While most of the information you need to do this "diet" is available online free, I appreciated having so much of the science explained in one book. While I am very interested in the weight loss potential, I am even more sold on the other health benefits. Just in the week since I've started this, I've seen a tremendous reduction in the inflammation of psoriasis, and the plantar fasciaitis I've been fighting is also nearly gone. I agree with other reviewers that there are much better, and more u ...more
Anna
Jun 02, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apl, 2014
An interesting alternative for a diet in a well-written, compact book with good documentation, resources to find out more, and with plans any reader (although if with serious medical problems, check with doctors first) can apply to make their own version of this that will work for them.

Essentially, you'll have two days in this diet that you repeat as long as needed.

Day one is the eat less day. Johnson recommends you eat about 20% of the calories your body needs now (so let's say your current num
Everydayreader1
Mar 15, 2016 Everydayreader1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. James Johnson has written an informative book on so many levels. The first thing I noticed is his realistic approach to food, eating and even addiction. The book title speaks for itself when it comes to his view. The basic strategy is to eat normally on one day, and the next day eat much less. He explains, in detail, the genetic component, what we crave, and why we crave it. And, he also discusses the frustration of counting calories.

Before reading this book, I began following a similar eati
Patricia Green
Dec 29, 2010 Patricia Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is, this works!! (You might want to skip the recipe section, though. All that low-fat stuff is a turn-off, and is unnecessary.)
Ed
Feb 05, 2014 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ready to try a different diet
I was impressed with the rationale but unimpressed with the writing. I think he makes the whole process more complicated than it needs to be, perhaps to fill up the number of pages. His approach to calculating what to eat on the "down" days is also over-complicated in my opinion. He certainly works hard to scientifically justify his approach. Some of the recipes look good.

Perhaps I'm being naive but I like the simpler approach of "The Every Other Day Diet".
Autumn
Jan 25, 2015 Autumn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was a much better source of information than "The Fast Diet", but less so than "The Every Other Day Diet". His info on SART1 was unique though and made the time worthwhile. As one other review pointed out, the writing was a little tedious and the author did seem to complicate a fairly straightforward program. Still, I'm glad a read it even if it's not the best of the pack so far.
Anne Green
Sep 21, 2014 Anne Green rated it liked it
An interesting philosophy based on the idea that alternate "fasting" and "feasting" can lead to not just weight loss but better health outcomes, longer life expectancy and reduced susceptibility to a number of diseases. Well written and based on solid research. "Fasting" in this case really means intermittent calorie restriction as you can eat on the alternate fasting days, just not very much.
Mark Bruce
Aug 05, 2013 Mark Bruce rated it really liked it
Hey, why not starve yourself every other day to lose weight? Or here's a better idea-- lop off your arms so that you can't put a fork to your mouth! Simple!
I actually tried this for two to three months. In the beginning I was ecstatic that I could fast every other day. In the end I was not happy when fasting day came around and abandoned it all soon after...and gained back every goddamed pound, and then some. I would have made a lousy medieval saint.
You need a lifelong plan that will address you
Rebecca
Jan 21, 2014 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The basic principle of this diet, alternating normal eating days with very low calorie days, is not as new as author suggests. Thomas Sharkey wrote The Eating Man's Diet in late 60's with the same process based on different principle.
Michael
Jun 07, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
tl;dr: The one take-away from the book that's worth mentioning: Eat 20-40% of your normal caloric intake every other day; otherwise, eat your normal caloric intake with healthy foods. The statistics show, ceteris paribus, you'll likely live longer, happier, and with more energy.

Otherwise, pick a book from a nutritionist who understands macro- and micronutrients a bit better as well as US food supply. For instance, naturally-raised grass-fed beef is wholly better than corn-fed beef. The author m
Clydie
Aug 25, 2015 Clydie rated it really liked it
Fascinating!
Ericka Clou
Oct 14, 2015 Ericka Clou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I read the 5:2 diet book first, and I thought the nutrition and food politics was presented better in that book. Although I do think it's necessary to follow to the more rigorous ADF diet instead of 5:2 to lose weight. (Or at least 4:3.)
Divia
Mar 02, 2009 Divia rated it liked it
I had read about the rat studies that said rats lived longer if they ate only every other day, so I wanted to find out about any other relevant studies and understand the technical details, specifically why the author thought it would still work when calories on the fasting day were increased from zero. There was a little of that in this book, but the rest of the nutritional advice in it was pretty bad.
Jeremiah
part one, regarding the potential benefits of fasting, was enthralling; however, the author's nutritional recommendations strike me as outdated echoes of conventional wisdom. i would recommend part one for anyone interested in stoking their enthusiasm about fasting.
Lisa
Aug 26, 2013 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: nutrition
The research in the book is interesting. Definitely got me to thinking more about fasting and such. Some of the recipes look pretty good so I might try a few if I get around to it before returning to the library.
Salehcoder
Haven't finished the book. I finished like 70% but it turned out it is not the kind of diet I'm looking for. I don't think it is healthy diet to eat a lot a day then starve yourself the next day!
Beka
Nov 26, 2010 Beka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-writing, science
A doable diet? Yes, this diet seems to work (I've lost 2 1/2 lb. in 2 weeks already), and I feel that I can actually keep it up, which is amazing. Thank you Dr. Johnson.
Lori Mason
Jun 27, 2008 Lori Mason rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, z2008
Interesting concepts. Suggests severe calorie restriction every other day. Not sure if I could do this.
Mmncedi Mmgwigwi
Sep 12, 2014 Mmncedi Mmgwigwi rated it really liked it
Workable lifestyle adoption that I am now following. Great thing is that it works.
Carrie
Aug 11, 2012 Carrie rated it liked it
Interesting theory but not a diet I can do. Good luck if you give it a try.
Michelle
Apr 23, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
Hmm. Not so sure of the science in this one, will take more checking.
Shelley
Aug 09, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-researched and written. Will give it a try.
Nev Britton
Apr 18, 2013 Nev Britton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative and interesting!
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Janet Murray
Janet Murray rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Chantelle
Chantelle rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Sonia Filmer
Sonia Filmer rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Jana
Jana rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking (Arts & Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
  • Discover Your Child's Learning Style: Children Learn in Unique Ways - Here's the Key to Every Child's Learning Success
  • His Brain, Her Brain: How Divinely Designed Differences Can Strengthen Your Marriage
  • Everyday Food: Light: The Quickest and Easiest Recipes, All Under 500 Calories
  • Radical Simplicity
  • Serve God, Save the Planet: A Christian Call to Action
  • Circle of Friends Cookbook 25 Slow Cooker Recipes: Exclusive online cookbook
  • Holy Discontent: Fueling the Fire That Ignites Personal Vision
  • 101 World Heroes: Great Men and Women for an Unheroic Age
  • The Hidden Shore (The Morland Dynasty, #19)
  • A Thunder Canyon Christmas
  • Seven from the Stars
  • Moola Bandha: The Master Key
  • Relationship Status

“In fact the Chinese, the Russians, Eskimos from Greenland, and sub-Saharan Africans are all getting fatter, as is every other population when economic conditions improve and there is increased access to cheaper food.” 0 likes
“To be sure you are getting a sufficient supply you would need to eat about 12 ounces of fatty fish per week. A simpler and perhaps safer source, given the mercury content of some fish, is fish oil capsules, which are made with oil from fatty fish that’s been purified to remove mercury and other toxins. Fish oil capsules are available at drugstores, grocery stores, and discount and large-box stores. The dose that appears to confer protection from cardiovascular disease, mainly by preventing fatal heart rhythms, is three 1-gram capsules per day, each containing 180 mg of eicosapentaenoic acid and 120 mg of docosahexaenoic acid. Higher doses probably don’t improve heart health.” 0 likes