Start by marking “One For The Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)” as Want to Read:
One For The Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)

One For The Money (Stephanie Plum #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  358,149 Ratings  ·  12,166 Reviews
Watch out, world. Here comes Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter with attitude. In Stephanie's opinion, toxic waste, rabid drivers, armed schizophrenics, and August heat, humidity, and hydrocarbons are all part of the great adventure of living in Jersey. She's a product of the "burg, " a blue-collar pocket of Trenton where houses are attached and narrow, cars are American, win ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 287 pages
Published September 1st 2001 by Harper Collins (first published August 26th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about One For The Money, please sign up.

Robin Heaton would depend... the books are definitely not raunchy, not a lot of foul language, some sexual inuendo, no full blown descriptions, mature high…morewould depend... the books are definitely not raunchy, not a lot of foul language, some sexual inuendo, no full blown descriptions, mature high schooler maybe?(less)

Kemper
Apr 19, 2012 Kemper rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It’s Gender Reversal Day here on Goodreads as I review One for the Money.

So Samuel Plum is an underwear buyer for a retail store who has recently lost his job. Desperate for cash, he blackmails his pervert cousin who runs a bail bonds agency into letting him go after a cop named Jane Morellie who was accused of murder and then skipped. There may be a personal revenge motive for Samuel in this because Jane is the girl who seduced him and took his virginity in high school. Since she never called
Claire Greene
Apr 14, 2008 Claire Greene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I. LOVE. THESE. BOOKS. SERIOUSLY. I am obsessed with this series. And you know when your brain keeps telling you that this is ridiculous, there must be a hundred books that are written better, or a better mystery, or whatever? Well, I don't care!!! This series is my ultimate guilty pleasure. I was hooked with the first one and have read the entire series thus far - including all the stupid mini books in-between. Now, those mini books I could do without and they always feel like an attempt to mak ...more
Jessica
Dec 28, 2011 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: BC1
Dribble, dribble, dribble. To amuse myself I compiled a top 5 list of things from this book that any future bookclubs book shouldn't include:

1- a herioine who regularly wears spandex shorts (I see it was wrote in 1994, still...that was past the 80's...no excuses).

2- the term "crotch wrinkles." Used in a sentence: "By five o'clock I was feeling antsy, and my rayon skirt had serious crotch wrinkles."

3- a scene where a man masturbates on Ms. Plum's door (or any woman's door)

4- the term "boinked" es
Raeleen Lemay
Mar 11, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just as I predicted, I did not enjoy this.

The main character is a LITERAL marshmallow and I absolutely couldn't stand her, and the plot was boring to say the least (it was also ridiculous). I've heard from many people that this book is funny, but I sure didn't think so... It wasn't even like there were jokes that I just didn't see the humor in, but rather I couldn't even understand what was SUPPOSED to be funny about it. The writing was very bland.

I also listened to this on audiobook, which is
Erin
Jan 16, 2012 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you just need to read a book like this. With mediocre writing and a plot as see-through as Grandma's underpants, it will take your mind off life's more substantial material for a while.
Meg ♥
The movie came out a few weeks ago, and I haven't seen it yet. I figured this would be a good time to write a review about this book, since I read it a few months ago, but never got a chance to review it.

This book was highly recommended to me, because although I really do read a bit of everything I find chick-lit to be the most entertaining. When I'm in a bad mood I can sit down with a chick-lit about some crazy chick with usually unrealistic problems that makes my life seem boring and laugh my
Inara
Funny and light-hearted book with a likeable heroine who never loses track of her goal to earn 10,000 dollars as a bounty hunter. Too bad its an old ex-lover she has to find but then - she still has a bone to pick with him....
This first book in the series made me jump outright on the Stephanie Plum-bandwagon and I prepare myself for an enjoyable ride!
Tatiana
Jan 25, 2010 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of funny mysteries
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
I've been seeing Evanovich books for years and not even once was I compelled to give them another look or find out if they were worth my time. I kind of regret it now.

This 1st book in the series about a female bounty hunter set in New Jersey ethnic neighborhood was quite a pleasure to read. The book was written about 15 years ago and definitely felt dated in many ways, especially in regards to "fashion" - spandex shorts, big hair, hoop earrings and all that. But the humor remained fresh, Plum/Mo
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this series at this point. I used to absolutely love it. Stephanie Plum is what got me reading again after not picking up a book for several years when my kids where little. I devoured every book in the series that was available and when a new one was released, I would drive to my local Borders to get a copy. I pushed these books on my mom and anyone else that would listen.

Several years ago, I stopped cari
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
11/11/15: Buddy (Re)Read with my peeps at BB&B

description
Robin (Bridge Four)
Buddy reading with some friends at Buddies Books and Baubles starting Nov 1

The Plan: Read one book in the series per month. So that's like the next 2 years. I now plan buddy reads 2 years out....no I do not have a problem...and even if I did I seem to be going to a group for it...soooooo. Don't judge me :P

Lazy Review Time - since this came out forever ago and there are a bazillion reviews

This series has 20+ books in it. I can see what it has been so popular over the years. It is just a good t
TK421
Jan 27, 2012 TK421 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So with the release of the movie, I thought some words were in order. First off, this book is nothing more than pure, uncut sugar for the brain. The writing is, meh. The characters are, meh; except for grandma, she's funny as shit. But the overall story really did nothing for me. For some reason I just couldn't get excited about a female bailbondsman trying to make ends meet. And her exploits never really engaged me. (I know that was a very poor, and probbaly inadequate summary, O well.) Sadly, ...more
Tea Jovanović
bozanstven humor, zabavno... autorka je divna koliko i njena junakinja Stefani Plam... imala sam to zadovoljstvo da je upoznam na sajmu u Njujorku davne 2002. I divna je koliko i njene knjige... To mi je jedno od najdražih iskustava :)
Gavin
This was a fun story. It had a bit of action, a bit of mystery, and plenty of crazy humor. The story was fast paced and pretty light in tone for the most part, but it did have a few dark happenings that injected some tension into the story.

Down on her luck Stephanie Plum needs a job fast before she runs out of money and ends up getting evicted from her apartment. She askes her cousin Vinny if she can get the vacant secretary job at his business only to be told the position was just filled! Not
Paige  Bookdragon

Maybe if I haven't read Charley Davidson's series first, I would have loved this book more. But sad to say, I can't help but compare Stephanie's humor to Charley. It was kinda fun and entertaining but not that much.
Tilly Slaton
One for the Money is a wonderful book! (REPOSTING DUE TO MOVIE RELEASE!)

I have always read psycho-thrillers, romance, paranormal romance etc. My momma told me, “You have to read Evanovich! You’ll laugh so hard!”

So, I did.

Stephanie Plum is a super cool character. She’s like any regular woman in the world, a fun personality shaped with a loving family, embarrassing moments and some bitter days. She lost her job. Her car was repossessed. She was forced to resort to accepting a job with her cousin V
⊱ Irena ⊰
Jan 14, 2016 ⊱ Irena ⊰ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, humour
I must be the only one who read this and found it more depressing than funny.

Although there were a couple of times I laughed (few, to be honest, but enough to make me not hate this book), I didn't like Stephanie Plum at all. I am not saying we should all be scared and sit in our house because we might get hurt, but there is being wise and there is being Stephanie. The book summary is way better than the book itself.

You know those films where a cop is accused of something and he sets out to clea
Dorothy
Jan 27, 2012 Dorothy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
How is it that, having been an avid reader of mysteries for much of my life, I had never picked up one of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books? A gross oversight on my part that I have now rectified. I have finished the first one of the series.

I've been reading quite a few serious books this summer - "The Maytrees," "Falling Man," "Absolute Friends," and "A Thousand Splendid Suns" to name the most recent - and I was ready for a drastic change. This book certainly offered that.

I was captivated
The Holy Terror
Book:
Narration:
I'm new to audiobooks, and at this point I'm not exactly sure how much they're for me. I can listen to whatever I want during my workday, so I figure, why not catch up on some reading while I do it? The problem is, I seem to come across more audiobooks that rub me the wrong way than those that don't. When the narrator is female and she reads the part of a male and is trying to either be sexy or menacing, I have a hard time with it. The same goes the other way as well. I've
Catherine
My mom's been bugging me for years to read this. I resisted, because, well, mom books. I thought it would be silly, I thought it would be overwrought, I thought it would be chick-lit...and it wasn't! I was pleasantly surprised. It's no deep, mystery-thriller, but it wasn't a complete throw-away beach read, either. I enjoyed it and I'll get #2 on hold from the library. This looks like a good fill in read, a go-to read when I have nothing on tap and need a capable stand in.

Thanks Mom!
Eric
Jun 26, 2014 Eric rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I couldn't in good conscience recommend anyone else read this
Shelves: audiobooks, crime
My wife and I were heading to Philadelphia for a long weekend, and decided to get an audiobook for the road trip. After a short conversation about how that "female bounty hunter movie" was based on a best selling book, I downloaded this. I was slightly curious, as I have seen the author's name on bookshelves for years now, and didn't know anything other than that she was very fond of numbers in her titles.

Eight minutes into our road trip my wife asked me to shut the book off, as she had a heada
Jubilation Lee
When I was in seventh grade, freshly transferred to a new school, my sole friend invited me up to her friend’s mother’s friend’s cabin, to stay for a week with a bunch of kids I’d never met before. I don’t particularly like cabins. I burn in the sun. I don’t swim well. And I’m not good around strangers. So I told her no, and then my mother made me go back to her and say yes.

Sigh.

So there I was, at a cabin full of strange girls, knowing that at any second we were going to go windsurfing or someth
Heather
Jan 18, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, mystery
Stephanie Plum has hit some hard times. She’s lost her job as a buyer of cheap lingerie, fallen behind on her bills and has had her beloved car repossessed. She’s got moldy cheese and a stale loaf of bread in the fridge and she has hawked most of her furniture and major appliances to pay the rent and procure a P.O.S Nova. Stephanie doubts things could get much worse. She’s about to be proven wrong.

In a stroke of dumb luck, or perhaps, an evil twist of fate, Stephanie lands a job at her uncle Vin
Marin
Aug 30, 2008 Marin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book. I have been watching the growth of the chick lit genre with interest, especially in the sub-sub-genre of chick-lit legal thrillers and mysteries. I think there's cool stuff happening here.

Unfortunatley, I'm not a fan of this book, and I won't be continuing this series. I was looking for something easy and breezy, but not dumb. Stephanie Plum, the main character, made decisions that didn't make sense to me. I suppose the writer could have described the complex emotions
Miss Kim
Aug 06, 2008 Miss Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I've finally met Stephanie Plum. I wasn't disappointed. I read this in a matter of hours, and laughed most of the time. She gets fired from her job, so she goes to work for her cousin Vinnie as a bounty hunter. Needing big cash, she takes the case of Joe Morelli, a cop wanted for murder. She stumbles her way through everything from stealing cars, shooting guns, catching Failure to Appears. I like her because she suffers the indignities of the everyday woman--bad hair, etc.
Jonetta
I know many love this series and Stephanie Plum. Unfortunately, I just couldn't connect and didn't find her ineptness all that funny. My investigators/detectives have to have some level of smarts, either streetwise or instinctive. That's not Stephanie and this isn't my kind of mystery but completely get how this character and story may be appealing to many.

I won't be continuing the series.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Okay, it's official. This book did not work for me.

Let's start with a confession: I am a Jersey girl. That's right, born and bred. Jersey girl from birth to present with a brief Boston interlude for college.

So, because of that, I really thought I would click with this series. I love anything funny, I can relate to all things Jersey, and most of my GR friends are crazy about this book. A sure thing, right?? Alas, this book just didn't do it for me. I found it to be really dated, not particularl
Petertpc
Feb 16, 2012 Petertpc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Well, it's a fast-read. I guess that's something. There are also a few minor laughs and a general feel good vibe to the story. But that's about it. I didn't much care for the writing and the plot itself just didn't grab me. An okay beach read but I won't be rushing out to grab the sequel.
Rick
Mar 23, 2011 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This, fittingly, was my introduction to Evanovich. The woman has a way with characters! These people seemed so real, so human, so flawed, so vulnerable, and often so damn funny, I hated to close the book. Luckily, there are many more in the series for me to read.
•Anna•
Mar 29, 2015 •Anna• rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: janet-evanovich
Stephanie Plum: a 6 anni gioca al trenino con Joe Morelli. A 16 gli vende il bignè, nonostante tutti, mamma compresa, continuassero ad avvertirla di stare lontana dal bad boy. Per tanti anni non si sono più cagati, come da copione: Joe Morelli è il tipo da "una botta e via". Ma poi, sulla soglia dei 30, senza uno straccio di lavoro e senza qualcuno da cui farsi mantenere, decide di diventare un'agente di recupero. Allettata probabilmente da quei bei soldoni se mai fosse stata in grado di consegn ...more
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 47 - One For the Money 12 24 May 01, 2016 05:42AM
what do you think of book 26 50 Mar 23, 2016 02:08PM
Katherine Heigl as Stephanie Plum? 260 1335 Jan 30, 2016 08:16PM
  • Revenge of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #3)
  • Hero at Large
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • 5 Bodies to Die For (Body Movers, #5)
  • Mayhem in High Heels (High Heels, #5)
  • Agnes and the Hitman
  • Nutcase (Crazy, #2)
  • Bobbie Faye's (kinda, sorta, not exactly) Family Jewels (Bobbie Faye, #2)
  • Ugley Business (Sophie Green Mystery, #2)
  • Bubbles Betrothed (Bubbles Yablonsky, #5)
  • Unscrewed (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #3)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #2)
  • A Vision of Murder (Psychic Eye Mystery, #3)
More about Janet Evanovich...

Stephanie Plum (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2)
  • Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3)
  • Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)
  • High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5)
  • Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)
  • Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)
  • Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8)
  • To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, #9)
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)
  • Eleven on Top (Stephanie Plum, #11)

“I like the way you've let your hair go curly," he finally said. "Suits your personality. Lots of energy, not much control, sexy as hell,"
Joe Morelli to Stephanie Plum”
289 likes