Start by marking “Pale Immortal (Pale Immortal, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pale Immortal (Pale Immortal, #1)

Pale Immortal (Pale Immortal #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  477 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The sleepy town of Tuonela, Wisconsin, is known for one thing: the killer who stalked its streets one hundred years ago, drinking the blood of his victims. And when the drained corpse of a young girl is found, the citizens fear their past has risen from the grave--and point their fingers at one man....

Evan Stroud can never see the light of day. The prisoner of a strange an
Published September 5th 2006 by Onyx

To ask other readers questions about Pale Immortal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pale Immortal

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerMidnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer
The Worst Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Horror Books
194th out of 377 books — 290 voters
Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini TaylorFallen by Lauren KateDivergent by Veronica RothUnwind by Neal ShustermanA Million Suns by Beth Revis
blue book cover
286th out of 307 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Tammie
I found the story interesting and creepy, but it gets a low score from me for too much bad language and a cheesy sex seen in a morgue, of all places! At least it was on the floor and not the autopsy table! There was a bit more gore than I want to read as well.
Barbara ★
I really enjoyed this book. The mystery was captivating and the whole vampire back story was very intriguing. The Pale Immortals (a group of teenagers who want to be vampires) are doing really bad things and are led by a man in the town. He's a total whack job. This is the first book I've read from Anne Frasier and I will be reading more. Apparantly there is a sequel to this book. I have to figure out what that is and continue the story. I liked the "vampire" Evan Stroud and the coroner Rachel B ...more
Lisa
Julia
Far less supernatural than I'd hoped and expected, without any real vampire action, so to speak - if you're looking to get a vampire fix, look elsewhere. I consider this more 'standard horror', a genre that has never interested me much. That said, Frasier writes well; I enjoyed the book for what it is, laughed several times at dialogue and certain character's thoughts, and found I could consume the book rapidly & easily. The overall tone and focus on characters reminded me of Stephen King's ...more
Amy
I liked the connections between the characters and the uniqueness of many of them. The story was woven together in a way that keeps you guessing, even at the last sentence. However, I didn't find the storyline itself to be very unique...a bit standard horror/mystery. Also, I thought there was more gore than was necessary for telling the story well (and I like scary books). It's an easy read and not a waste of time, but It's not a must-read.
Juliet Davis
The one thing the town of Tounela, Wisconsin is known for is the infamous Pale Immortal Richard Manchester who allegedly killed a hundred people drinking their blood. Some thought he was a vampire and buried him in a manner so he couldn’t return from the grave. Since his death a century ago, there hasn’t been a murder committed in town. A cult of high school students calling themselves Pale Immortals dig up his body and let it be found by the police for reasons of their own. Graham, a high schoo ...more
Stacey sterne
this book had my interest on the first page, but it was the title and the front cover that caught my attention. while i got into the book i started to really grasp the conflict . i mean if i was a character in the book i would be rachel and that would mean that i would get the pale immortal ;)
Brigit
exciting from the first page.. new author for me and will definitely read alot more..!
Dokusha
Dieses Buch rangiert irgendwo zwischen Psychothriller und Horror. Teilweise ist es schon recht heftig, was die gute Anne Frasier dem Leser zumutet, und empfindliche Gemüter sollten die Finger davon lassen. Das nur als Warnung vorab.
Nichtsdestotrotz ist es ein spannendes Buch. Blutlose Leichen werden gefunden, und die Einwohner denken natürlich sofort an einen Serienmörder von früheer, der sich als Vampir ausgab - oder womöglich tatsächlich einer war? Eine Gruppe Jugendlicher betrachtet sich als
Tracee Gleichner
To be honest, I was not familiar with Anne Frasier. I ran across her on Myspace and was drawn to her books because they were set in Wisconsin, my home state. I approached her to see if she would be willing to submit a book for review, and she was more than happy to oblige. I am thankful, as this was a fantastic read and really drew me in from the very beginning.

This book is set in the sleepy town of Tuonela, Wisconsin – a town that is notorious for the “Pale Immortal” – a serial killer who stal
Angie
This book haunted me and bothered me on different levels. I woke up in the night and almost marked it TRASH and didn't finish it. I tried one more chapter, and I could not put it down. It gave me nightmares! I am a huge vampire fan but this one chilled my soul. I guess because there could be sickos like this amongst us. It was an awesome read....a great finish.... Now...I must find the second book. Ha! This gal is as raw as Stephen King in my book. Wow!
B.L. Hewitt

Pale Immortal is a brilliant experiment into the myth of a vampire. Set in a small Wisconsin town trying to resurrect itself from a haunted past, filled with small town superstition and small town minds. When a young girl turned up dead with all her blood drained from her body, tongues start wagging and fingers start pointing to the strange young man that lives in their midst who never shows his face in the sunlight.
Evan Stroud is afflicted with a rare disease that keeps him in the darkness, onl
Bookadventurer
Still to this day years after I've read it, one of my favorite books and Evan Stroud is one of my favorite characters.

Garden of Darkness is the second installment, and I really wish Theresa Weir could have finished/published the third (maybe with begging, Please, Please)because what I read of it when she posted it just left me wanting more. Today's "popular" authors with movies and such really don't hold a candle to this book (in my opinion), where the creep/goth factor was here long before it
David Healey
Anne Frasier has such a great writing style and compelling characters. At the end of a busy day, I found myself looking forward to escaping into this world for a little while. Could that have something to do with one of the main characters being an author of local histories, lol? The end of the book turned gory, but it was a horror story, after all. I am looking forward to reading more of her books.
Shelley

Slight Spoilers Ahead ______________________________________________________________________________

When I started this I didn't really know what to expect as I wasn't sure it was the usual paranormal stuff. Having finished it I have had to make a new shelf for it as I still don't know what category it falls under. It doesn't really fit, horror or thriller and I wouldn't call it paranormal either even if a couple of the characters exhibit signs of paranormal behavior. It was a book where the bad
Adrianna Morgan
I gave up 3/4's of the way into the book and flipped to the end. I could not finish this book. That's saying a lot when as a kid I would read the Encyclopedia Brittanica if I could not find a book. I hate giving low reviews. As an author, I know the time, effort, blood, sweat and tears that go into writing a book. But as a reader, I cringe whenever I pick up a book that is so...ugh, it bothers me. The book started off interestingly enough. I could not decide if it was a mystery or paranormal mys ...more
Bella Street
Creepy and compelling. A creepy take on the vampire genre that kept me reading. Great atmospherics and plot twists, but I loved the characters most of all.
Julia Taraszewski
I have read some of the other reviews and don't agree. This was a good book. All writing is not absolutely perfect! Besides, what is perfect?

I fell in love with Even almost instantly. I even loved his disease. I thought the voice between characters changed enough and was believable. There was not a lot of Gore. I wasn't scared or disgusted at ant point.

Okay, yes, the sex scene was cheesy and could have been more/better. I happen to think od this book highly, but I hated the very end. I hate the
Beth
I liked the characters in this story, and the connections between them drew me in. Every one of them had their strong points. The storyline kept me interested enough to want to see where it was going. Even though I figured out who the bad guy was way before I thought I should, I still enjoyed it. The ending, however, fell rather flat for me. It didn't seem to have any closure with the characters, and they actually seemed a little lost at the end. Not sure what I expected at the end, but I was a ...more
Aubrey
As usual, Anne Frasier does not disappoint. I have read a few of her books and have liked them all, including Pale Immortal. The only thing I was not satisfied with was the ending. Everything wrapped up except for Evan and Rachel. I was left wondering. Rachel didn't even acknowledge that Evan saved her and she was wrong that he was the one going around killing people. All she ended up caring about and talking to him about was a damn scarf. I must have missed something for her to be angry about? ...more
Pamela
This is a story about a town who thinks it had an actual vampire killer once upon a time that they dubbed the "pale immortal". When killings begin again, they wonder whether it is the pale immortal returned from the grave... or maybe it's the guy down the street who can't leave his house due to issues with sunlight.

Despite having some scenes that were a little too disturbing/scary for my taste, I really loved this book & it has a spectacular ending. I look forward to reading the sequel "Gard
Tawnya
This is the 4th book by Anne Frasier that I've read. This was another good one. It was a murder mystery with a bit of a paranormal slant to it. Just enough that you could go either way in believing the supernatural stuff was real or not. Overall good characters and a good story that gets you hooked right away and makes you want to keep reading to find out what's going to happen.
Brandi
I loved this book a teen is dumped at his "dads" house by his mother. Never meeting his dad things begin rather oddly! After hearing strange stories about his dad being a vampire and a positive paternity test things begin to take a turn for the worst. A group called the pale immortals begins to set a plan in action to kill the vampire and use graham as bait!
Bethany
Eh, I almost didn't want to finish it. I wasn't invested in the story but it was alright. Something to read. Far fetched in the extreme but hey what story about vampires isn't? Although it's not really about vampires, more like vampire wannabes mostly. *shrugs* moving on.
Deborah
This was only an ok book. I liked it at first but in the last half it just started getting ridiculous ( tea made from The Pale Immortal's heart changing Evan etc) it just got really lame. I saw she is making a sequel to it, I think I'll pass...
Nikki Campana
Anne Frasier's Pale Immortal left me wanting more. Right from the start I couldn’t get enough and didn’t want to put the book down until I was done. It was fast paced and kept you guessing until the end. Looking forward to the sequel.
Shelley
This is a kind of run-of-the-mill murder mystery that takes advantage of the vampire genre to add some interest. But it's high on gruesomeness and low on character exploration. Not a bad idea but needed better execution.
Shawna Hansen
Hello all! I finished Pale Immortal by Anne Frasier -- here's a little about the author! This was one creepy book! I loved it!

Rick
Interesting take on vampire lore, set in rural Wisconsin. I liked it well enough that I have already bought the second book in the series. Loves me some Anne Frasier...
Grace G
this was my first book about vampires and I truly enjoyed reading about it..I did not think o would have enjoyed reading bur surely I was wrong.
  • 33 A.D. (Bachiyr, #1)
  • Staked (Time Brokers, #1)
  • Ancient Awakening
  • No Fear
  • The Trouble With Green
  • Drummer Boy (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #2)
  • House Report
  • Sacred Secrets, A Jacody Ives Mystery
  • Dark Legacy
  • Foreplay (Succubus Diaries, #0.5)
  • From Within
  • Penumbra
  • Zombie Nights
  • Asylum Lake
  • Hilda the Wicked Witch (Hilda the Wicked Witch #1)
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)
  • Lust (Lust, Money & Murder, #1)
  • Mozart's Blood