Start by marking “The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War” as Want to Read:
The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War

The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War (Politically Incorrect Guides)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Think you know the Civil War?
You don't know the full story until you read The Politically Incorrect GuideTM to the Civil War

Bestselling author and former Conservative Book Club editor H. W. Crocker III offers a quick and lively study of America's own Iliad--the Civil War--in this provocative and entertaining addition to The Politically Incorrect GuideTM series.

In The Polit
Published September 30th 2008 by Regnery Publishing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War

Justin
Nothing like publishing a book lauding the actions of a petty and tyrannical slaveocracy with a mass murderer on the cover. I can't wait for the next volume in the politically incorrect series: The Politically Incorrect guide to World War Two; potential chapters include: FDR the socialist tyrant, Hitler the misunderstood genius, and the truth behind the "Holocaust."

In all seriousness though these books are reprehensibly bad and pander to the far-right fringe lunatics who find rigorous academic w
William
Having already read the P.I.G. to American History, I thought I would read this book as an expansion of some of the themes covered during its own rendition of the Civil War. This book is a very interesting take of some of our most cherished beliefs about the Civil War and the many many characters and personalities of whom legends and villains are made. We are told in our 8th grade history class that the Civil War is about slavery, and are made to think of every southerner as backward and evil pe ...more
John
May 02, 2009 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
This is a great book, detailing so many of the misconceptions that we have as modern day Americans concerning the War Between the States. There is so much that is left untold. After reading this, I am compelled to believe that the Confederate States of America were standing on solid constitutional ground in seceding from the Union, and that it was the northern states that were the violators of the Constitution and morality in waging war against the south.

Had the south terminated slavery peaceful
Dan Arnold
Thoroughly researched 'dummies' type guidebook that gives a passionate and reasoned defense of the southern cause. Prepare to have many sacred cows and long-standing perceptions shattered by irrefutable quotes and documentation. The South may not rise again but Mr. Crocker certainly raises up the much maligned reputation of the brave patriots who gave all in defense of a noble cause.
David Robins
"If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence was a grave mistake, and the revolution to which it led was a crime.... If Washington was a patriot, Lee cannot have been a rebel; if the enunciation of the grand truths in the Declaration of Independence made Jefferson immortal, the observance of them could not have made Davis a traitor." (Gen. Wade Hampton)
James (JD) Dittes
As a lifelong "Union man" and one of the minority in my southern state who accepts the 13th-15th Amendments, I was skeptical when I downloaded this book, but this was no polemic.

Crocker outlines the South's case very succinctly and offers a sympathetic voice to Jefferson Davis, but the best part of this book are the fascinating anecdotes he mines. Not all Union Men were thrilled about freeing slaves, and not all Confederates necessarily saw slavery as something that must continue, Crocker points
♥Xeni♥
As a person who seeks the truth of all matters, these Politically Incorrect Guides are like holy testaments. Sort of. Generally speaking, though, they really do 'tell the other side of the story' that we don't get in most history books, or really at all, anywhere.

I read this book (and the P.I.G. to the South) for a project I was doing for my English class back in my last year of school. Both of these books were wonderfully written, in a rather amusing style that reminisced a little of the Dummi
stormhawk
I decided to pick up The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War because I didn't actually know much about the War for Southern Independence and I didn't think I have the staying power for Shelby Foote's series of books. Mr. Crocker does a good job of briefly explaining the causes, battles, and personalities of the Civil War without becoming dry ... he personalizes the experience, however, his use of language is sometimes less than flowing, and he has a tendency to repeat cliches; surely th ...more
Alan
I rated this lower because I felt the formatting of the content was horrible. For example, the early chapters provide a synopsis of the war and the political climate of the day, primarily from a pro-Confederate perspective, and then it dives into chapters concerning monumental battles, and it finishes with chapters that discuss the leaders of those battles. To me, it makes much more sense to introduce the players in the game before talking about the game itself. It seems like the outline of the ...more
Charles Phillips
Some of the factoids are interesting, but this is such a skewed version of civil war history that after a bit one begins to doubt much of what is written. Yes, it was a war about union, but slavery and union were inextricably intertwined. Read the declarations of secession. Slavery and secession were seen as a piece. The analogy between the American Revolution and Secession is quite a stretch. NY tried to insert a clause allowing secession in it's ratification of The Constitution, and it was dee ...more
Erin
I expected that this book, like other PIGs, would be a quick read, but it was actually a bit of a slog. Admittedly, I have no head for military strategy. There was a lot of interesting information though; I just wish I could keep straight which general did what and where.
Manny
Good book. Unfortunately for me, most of the information in here I have read elsewhere. The book does cover the North and the South protagonists of the war. This book did spark and interest in Robert E. Lee and Grant. I have added some of those books to my list.

Some of the subject are not for those who buy into the "only one side of the story" theory. If you read this with an open mind and put aside the pro-South agenda of the book, you may walk away with at a minimum, a different view. I wish t
Boris
A more complete view of the Civil War and it's most famous generals. Things are not black and white but various shades of gray.
Joseph
Did my best to keep an open mind...for don't really care for those that pander to the far fringes of both sides. Though he did make some interesting points and the occasional eye-opener...he flat out had it wrong on so many points I will actually RUN it back to the library. Nice try on Nathan Bed Forrest, Mr. Apologist.
Leslie
I was impressed with how much this book made me reconsider what I thought I already knew well. I will never see the war the same way, now that I know a lot of these background details and more of the international and historical context. Very worthwhile.
Kristi
Whew, finally finished this book. It went back and forth from very interesting to boring and back again, many times. I do have a better understanding of the civil war though, and I am very glad that I read it.
Brendan Martin
I found myself very much enjoying some sections while having to force myself through others. The final chapter is very interesting.
Mike
A great eye-opener for those taught the pc version in public schools.
Kait Nolan
Enjoyable and intelligent account.
Clint Flatt
A must read for history fans
Robby
Jun 02, 2010 Robby marked it as reference
Ted Kennedy is a racist.
Howard
Still reading..
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Joseph McElroy
Joseph McElroy marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Luke
Luke is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2014
Erik Garrett
Erik Garrett marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South: (And Why It Will Rise Again)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism  And Intelligent Design
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming: And Environmentalism
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Bible
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Socialism
  • The South Was Right!
  • The Civil War: A Narrative
  • World War I: The Rest of the Story and How It Affects You Today, 1870 to 1935
  • The American Patriot's Almanac
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Middle East
Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church Robert E. Lee on Leadership: Executive Lessons in Character, Courage, and Vision Don't Tread on Me: A 400-Year History of America at War, from Indian Fighting to Terrorist Hunting The Politically Incorrect Guide to the British Empire The Old Limey