Start by marking “The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War” as Want to Read:
The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War

The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War (Politically Incorrect Guides)

Think you know the Civil War?
You don't know the full story until you read The Politically Incorrect GuideTM to the Civil War

Bestselling author and former Conservative Book Club editor H. W. Crocker III offers a quick and lively study of America's own Iliad--the Civil War--in this provocative and entertaining addition to The Politically Incorrect GuideTM series.

In The Polit
Published September 30th 2008 by Regnery Publishing (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War

Justin
Nothing like publishing a book lauding the actions of a petty and tyrannical slaveocracy with a mass murderer on the cover. I can't wait for the next volume in the politically incorrect series: The Politically Incorrect guide to World War Two; potential chapters include: FDR the socialist tyrant, Hitler the misunderstood genius, and the truth behind the "Holocaust."

In all seriousness though these books are reprehensibly bad and pander to the far-right fringe lunatics who find rigorous academic w
William
May 23, 2012 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having already read the P.I.G. to American History, I thought I would read this book as an expansion of some of the themes covered during its own rendition of the Civil War. This book is a very interesting take of some of our most cherished beliefs about the Civil War and the many many characters and personalities of whom legends and villains are made. We are told in our 8th grade history class that the Civil War is about slavery, and are made to think of every southerner as backward and evil pe ...more
John
Apr 28, 2009 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
This is a great book, detailing so many of the misconceptions that we have as modern day Americans concerning the War Between the States. There is so much that is left untold. After reading this, I am compelled to believe that the Confederate States of America were standing on solid constitutional ground in seceding from the Union, and that it was the northern states that were the violators of the Constitution and morality in waging war against the south.

Had the south terminated slavery peaceful
Dan Arnold
Jan 05, 2009 Dan Arnold rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly researched 'dummies' type guidebook that gives a passionate and reasoned defense of the southern cause. Prepare to have many sacred cows and long-standing perceptions shattered by irrefutable quotes and documentation. The South may not rise again but Mr. Crocker certainly raises up the much maligned reputation of the brave patriots who gave all in defense of a noble cause.
Elliott
Jan 15, 2016 Elliott rated it did not like it
My father is an unreconstructed Southerner and for many years I tried to be just like him. I had my own rebel flags, and Confederate toy soldiers, I could spend hours defending the South from all types of criticisms... And then I grew up, and now I look back on all that with distaste. But, accordingly I feel that I am able to give a more balanced and truthful view than this book having swung from one side to the other and read quite a bit more since those unfortunate days of my youth.
First off,
Charles Phillips
Dec 31, 2012 Charles Phillips rated it it was ok
Some of the factoids are interesting, but this is such a skewed version of civil war history that after a bit one begins to doubt much of what is written. Yes, it was a war about union, but slavery and union were inextricably intertwined. Read the declarations of secession. Slavery and secession were seen as a piece. The analogy between the American Revolution and Secession is quite a stretch. NY tried to insert a clause allowing secession in it's ratification of The Constitution, and it was dee ...more
Joseph
Jun 25, 2012 Joseph rated it did not like it
Did my best to keep an open mind...for don't really care for those that pander to the far fringes of both sides. Though he did make some interesting points and the occasional eye-opener...he flat out had it wrong on so many points I will actually RUN it back to the library. Nice try on Nathan Bed Forrest, Mr. Apologist.
David Robins
Aug 10, 2009 David Robins rated it really liked it
"If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence was a grave mistake, and the revolution to which it led was a crime.... If Washington was a patriot, Lee cannot have been a rebel; if the enunciation of the grand truths in the Declaration of Independence made Jefferson immortal, the observance of them could not have made Davis a traitor." (Gen. Wade Hampton)
Peter
Feb 17, 2014 Peter rated it it was amazing
I was drawn to this book initially by its lean in the direction of political incorrectness in and of itself, and not so much because I viewed myself as a Southern sympathiser. I'm a Yankee born and bred, after all. However, as I found myself plowing on into details, I was thoroughly impressed by the amount of research that went into it, especially from primary source material. For example, neither Robert E. Lee or Jefferson Davis believed slavery was a necessity, and both believed it would ultim ...more
Nate
Feb 24, 2016 Nate rated it liked it
The title of this book suggests that it will be full of conservative rantings. Though it does have some of that, there is actually some good factual information. The author makes the argument that the South had better generals with more respect for life on both sides of the fighting, while on the other side they had Sheridan and Sherman who openly targeted civilians and often took more losses of their men.

He also claims that the Civil War was not about slavery (a common debate for conservatives
♥Xeni♥
May 02, 2010 ♥Xeni♥ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, southern
As a person who seeks the truth of all matters, these Politically Incorrect Guides are like holy testaments. Sort of. Generally speaking, though, they really do 'tell the other side of the story' that we don't get in most history books, or really at all, anywhere.

I read this book (and the P.I.G. to the South) for a project I was doing for my English class back in my last year of school. Both of these books were wonderfully written, in a rather amusing style that reminisced a little of the Dummi
James (JD) Dittes
As a lifelong "Union man" and one of the minority in my southern state who accepts the 13th-15th Amendments, I was skeptical when I downloaded this book, but this was no polemic.

Crocker outlines the South's case very succinctly and offers a sympathetic voice to Jefferson Davis, but the best part of this book are the fascinating anecdotes he mines. Not all Union Men were thrilled about freeing slaves, and not all Confederates necessarily saw slavery as something that must continue, Crocker points
stormhawk
Apr 21, 2010 stormhawk rated it really liked it
I decided to pick up The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War because I didn't actually know much about the War for Southern Independence and I didn't think I have the staying power for Shelby Foote's series of books. Mr. Crocker does a good job of briefly explaining the causes, battles, and personalities of the Civil War without becoming dry ... he personalizes the experience, however, his use of language is sometimes less than flowing, and he has a tendency to repeat cliches; surely th ...more
Alan
Nov 10, 2013 Alan rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, history
I rated this lower because I felt the formatting of the content was horrible. For example, the early chapters provide a synopsis of the war and the political climate of the day, primarily from a pro-Confederate perspective, and then it dives into chapters concerning monumental battles, and it finishes with chapters that discuss the leaders of those battles. To me, it makes much more sense to introduce the players in the game before talking about the game itself. It seems like the outline of the ...more
Manny
Jun 03, 2012 Manny rated it really liked it
Good book. Unfortunately for me, most of the information in here I have read elsewhere. The book does cover the North and the South protagonists of the war. This book did spark and interest in Robert E. Lee and Grant. I have added some of those books to my list.

Some of the subject are not for those who buy into the "only one side of the story" theory. If you read this with an open mind and put aside the pro-South agenda of the book, you may walk away with at a minimum, a different view. I wish t
Shelley Broadway
Great Information

Great information that's not been shared with me before. I appreciated the quotes and their sources as many confirmed what I knew to be true, but until now, had no way to prove it as such.
Erin
Mar 16, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: history
I expected that this book, like other PIGs, would be a quick read, but it was actually a bit of a slog. Admittedly, I have no head for military strategy. There was a lot of interesting information though; I just wish I could keep straight which general did what and where.
Kristi
Nov 07, 2009 Kristi rated it liked it
Whew, finally finished this book. It went back and forth from very interesting to boring and back again, many times. I do have a better understanding of the civil war though, and I am very glad that I read it.
Leslie
I was impressed with how much this book made me reconsider what I thought I already knew well. I will never see the war the same way, now that I know a lot of these background details and more of the international and historical context. Very worthwhile.
Clint Flatt
A must read for history fans
Robert
Mar 04, 2009 Robert marked it as reference
Ted Kennedy is a racist.
Brendan Martin
May 26, 2013 Brendan Martin rated it liked it
I found myself very much enjoying some sections while having to force myself through others. The final chapter is very interesting.
Boris
Jun 28, 2014 Boris rated it it was amazing
A more complete view of the Civil War and it's most famous generals. Things are not black and white but various shades of gray.
Wendy Meekins
Wendy Meekins rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Luke
Luke rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2009
Lucinda Powell
Lucinda Powell rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2009
R.C. Atchisson
R.C. Atchisson rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Kevin Lazarus
Kevin Lazarus rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2011
Gary
Gary rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
May 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South: (And Why It Will Rise Again)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Founding Fathers
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Vietnam War
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Bible
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming (and Environmentalism)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism and Intelligent Design
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide(tm) to Women, Sex and Feminism
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization (Politically Incorrect Guides)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Presidents: From Wilson to Obama (Politically Incorrect Guides (Paperback))
  • We Still Hold These Truths: Rediscovering Our Principles, Reclaiming Our Future
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Socialism (Politically Incorrect Guides (Paperback))
  • The Bias Against Guns: Why Almost Everything You've Heard About Gun Control is Wrong

Politically Incorrect Guides (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming (and Environmentalism)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South: (And Why It Will Rise Again)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science