Start by marking “Sugar Shock!: How Sweets and Simple Carbs Can Derail Your Life--and How You Can Get Back on Track” as Want to Read:

A provocative exposé of the negative effects of sugars and simple carbs-and how to break the addiction.

Most readers already know that succumbing to sweets too often can lead to obesity and diabetes. What many don't know, however, is that too many "quickie carbs" can bring on a host of other maladies-such as "brain fog," fatigue, mood swings, heart disease, and even cancer
Published December 26th 2006 by Berkley (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sugar Shock!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar Shock!

Tami
Apr 15, 2008 Tami rated it really liked it
We all know that too many sweets cause our waistline to expand and ruin our hopes of getting into that sexy bathing suit. Still, that single cookie just doesn't seem all that dangerous as it beckons. How could one little tiny cheat hurt? We tell ourselves that we'll just cut calories elsewhere.

Even through our cloud of deep denial, we all know that one cookie always leads to another. We even know that the only calories we are going to cut are those of good healthy foods. Perhaps, what we don't
Rachel
Aug 24, 2009 Rachel rated it did not like it
Recommended to Rachel by: progressive pioneer blog
I just skimmed this book; I don't think it's worth reading the whole thing. The idea is that simple carbs and sugars make us age faster and give us mysterious health problems like headaches and mood swings. I would have liked to read a book about the same material but from a more objective viewpoint - I felt like Bennett's testimonial and desire to be readable made me less likely to trust her (especially when she cites research in one chapter, and then in the next basically says that "parents kn ...more
Karen Root
Nov 28, 2016 Karen Root rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book!

There is tons of information in this book! The author grabs your attention and keeps it by delivering her message in a way that is very easy to understand and apply in life. I guarantee you there is a lot to learn about excessive carb intake and how that intake affects your life! Reading this book has inspired me to want to keep learning about what I can do to curb my intake of unhealthy sugars as well as guide others to do the same.
Robert Bor
Feb 27, 2014 Robert Bor rated it liked it
If the health thinkers agree on one thing nowadays, it is that sugar and other simple carbs are bad. This book is written in typical american style, including SHOUTING THE TEXT "SUGAR SHOCK" EVERY NOW AND THEN, all throughout the book. Annoying style.

I like how the book opened with the confession of a sugar addict. Personal stories are certainly catchy and the story of Connie drew me into the book. Throughout the book, you read not only about the battles with the Craving Self, but also about the
Bryan
Mar 24, 2011 Bryan rated it it was ok
Alright, let's get this out of the way first: this book reads like one of the world's worst infomercials. There is countless promotion of the author's website, help groups, etc. I can definitely see how this might annoy someone into stopping reading this book.

Having said that, there is a lot of interesting information in how sugar impacts our health. There are countless experts referenced. It certainly could be that the experts are biased. I have heard of some and respect them, but others are co
Rita
Nov 04, 2010 Rita rated it really liked it
Really made me think about how sugar controls me. In our world and society, I think it would be next to impossible to totally eliminate sugar and junk carbs. But greatly cutting down made me drop three pounds in a few days, and feel more clear-headed. The health implications of causing your blood sugar levels to wildly fluctulate, thus causing your pancreas to pump huge amounts of insulin into your bloodstream, is staggering. This author believes that the obesity and diabetes epidemic (among oth ...more
Carol
Jan 01, 2013 Carol rated it it was ok
Recommended to Carol by: Kathryn
Shelves: nf, 2013
sugar is bad blah blah blah sugar is bad... this is already understood in the first 50 pages but this continues for another 200 pages and then not much info on how to change except dont eat sugar....
I am not ne for non fiction especially self help- read ts as homework but its books like these that keep me from reading them
Stacie
Jan 26, 2008 Stacie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all
This is the best book to give you a kick in the pants for healthy eating or losing weight. It has opened my mind to the effects of sugar/ simple carbs. It is over-the-top and sometimes loud, but this motivated me. Half way through the book, I was on board, "Okay! I'll never touch sugar again!", just because you want the author to stop preaching. I highly recommend this book!
Annette
Oct 24, 2011 Annette rated it it was ok
Recommended years ago by R Jackson and finally got to it. I wish there was more "how to" information, withdrawal symptom information (serious sugar addict here), etc. Hokey, but really got me to quit sugar (and caffeine) for over a week now, expecting to go until Thanksgiving (6 weeks), then to reassess.
Alexa
Aug 23, 2012 Alexa rated it it was ok
Shelves: health
The book contained some really interesting facts around sugar, but several chapters I skipped, as I found the writing style very scientific and not engagin enough.
Topics like "sugar addicted kids", the effct of sugar on the menopause, were not really relevent too me.
Nancy Mather
Mar 08, 2012 Nancy Mather rated it really liked it
I came across this book when doing some research on hypoglycemia. I think that much of this is extremely accurate and that sugar and simple carbs are a root cause of many health issues. The book is inline with many other clean eating models - cut sugar and only eat whole wheat flour.
Julie
Jan 01, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012

This book was amazing!! Having personally studied this information in my medical classes and this is right on! I would highly recommend this book and I will definitely be using this as a reference.
Connie Bennett
Feb 13, 2013 Connie Bennett rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Author's Confession.

It's not appropriate for me to review this book since I wrote it.

But I do hope that if you have an addiction to sugar and/or refined carbs, that you'll read it and like it very much.

And please connect with me at http://www.facebook.com/smarthabitsfans
Heather
Mar 29, 2012 Heather rated it did not like it
I skimmed this book more than read it. Already seems and feels out of date and it was very frouffy. I was hoping for some more ideas for ways to break sugar cravings/addiction. I am really beginning to feel that it's not "too much sugar is bad for you" but that it is "sugar is bad for you".
Christina
Dec 23, 2009 Christina rated it it was ok
Hokey writing style. Most of the book explains why sweets and carbs wreck your system. Only a chapter or two cover how to make changes to your diet. Still, it was enough to motivate me to start making some changes in how I eat. So in that way, it was worth reading.
Nikki
Oct 31, 2009 Nikki rated it really liked it
I reread this. It's a great book, and I needed the reminder.
XO
Nov 15, 2013 XO rated it liked it
A good book if you ever wonder if sugar can be seen as a drug.
Carrie Martin
Mar 14, 2013 Carrie Martin rated it really liked it
Informative and well researched. Probably contains information you don't know about sugar's pervasive effects on the body. Occasionally reads like a text book.
Grlz Grftn
Jun 10, 2013 Grlz Grftn rated it liked it
kinda preachy, but thorough
Marsha
Jun 17, 2014 Marsha rated it it was amazing
Definitely changed my eating.
Robert
Dec 05, 2012 Robert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diet
Scary stuff about the addictive nature of sugar!
Lauren
Jan 01, 2009 Lauren rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
I'm making my way slowly through this one. It has some helpful information in it. We'll see how it goes.
Amy
Apr 22, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
If you want to feel good, cut out the sugar, (and simple carbs)!! Just like my mom always told me!
Kris
Mar 17, 2008 Kris rated it really liked it
This scared me off sugar for a couple of weeks, but then I relapsed. I need to read it again.
Bradley
May 22, 2008 Bradley rated it it was amazing
Erica Wagner
Feb 11, 2013 Erica Wagner rated it liked it
Good reminder of what a toxic substance sugar is...the only knew info for me was its strong link to heart disease.
Dana friedrich
Mar 25, 2008 Dana friedrich added it
Shelves: foodies
if you want to know the ugly side effects sugar has on you, read this book. it's a easy read with lots of info.
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Joanna
Joanna rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Matthew Billingsly
Matthew Billingsly rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Get the Sugar Out: 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet
  • Lick the Sugar Habit
  • The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program
  • Sugar Busters! Cut Sugar to Trim Fat
  • Sugar Blues
  • Staying Healthy with Nutrition, rev: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine
  • Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running
  • The Amen Solution: The Brain Healthy Way to Lose Weight and Keep It Off
  • The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
  • The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food
  • Why Stomach Acid is Good for You: Natural Relief from Heartburn Indigestion, Reflux and GERD
  • Food As Medicine: How to Use Diet, Vitamins, Juices, and Herbs for a Healthier, Happier, and Longer Life
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
  • Health and Nutrition Secrets That Can Save Your Life
  • Eat, Drink, and Be Gorgeous: A Nutritionist's Guide to Living Well While Living It Up
  • The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity