Start by marking “Seeking the Dead (Joe Plantagenet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Seeking the Dead (Joe Plantagenet, #1)

Seeking the Dead (Joe Plantagenet #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  251 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
When Carmel Hennessy begins a new job in North Yorkshire, she finds the historic city of Eborby gripped by fear. A killer is on the prowl - a killer who binds and asphyxiates his victims before leaving their naked bodies in isolated country churchyards. The press are calling him the Resurrection Man.

Tragic events from the past link Carmel with new-kid-on-the-block DI Joe P
Published 2008 by Piatkus Books

To ask other readers questions about Seeking the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeking the Dead

LJ
First Sentence: Things that frighten the devil away.

Carmel Hennessy’s small flat in the house owned by her boss at the Archeology Center. She also feels it has a ghost and wonders if it’s connected to the Ghost Tour that always stops and points to her bedroom. She turns to DI Joe Plantagenet, former partner of her father who was killed, when she starts receiving anonymous threats. The naked body of a woman is found in the churchyard. Rather than newly dead, it is realized she had been stunned, s
Bill
Mar 29, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in the Joe Plantagenet mystery series. I read the second by mistake previously. It didn't affect my enjoyment of this story at all. The series is set in Yorkshire and DI Plantagenet is an ex-priest (or more correctly, he was in training for priesthood but fell in love and left it) who is involved trying to solve the Resurrection Man murders. A new DCI, Emily Thwait, adds to the story. It's an interesting, very involved mystery, which goes in different directions. Joe also is lo ...more
Carol Kerry-green
Apr 26, 2010 Carol Kerry-green rated it really liked it
Okay, I seem to be on a Crime reading odyssey at the moment:-) Seeking the Dead is set in the fictional city of Ebory which is based on York, it was fun trying to guess the areas of York where the book was set, as having lived there for two years I'm fairly familiar with the area, and you get a real feelling of place in this novel.

Joe Plantagenet is a DI in Ebory working on a murder investigation of a possible serial killer who the local press have dubbed The Resurrection Man, after his habit of
Vivienne
I finally got around to starting this series and am so glad I did. I found this a highly engaging police procedural that kept me on the edge of my seat.

Joe Plantagenet is a very appealing lead and I enjoyed he occult overtones to the story.
Deb
Aug 22, 2015 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in a series featuring Jo
Plantagenet, a detective based in Eborly, a thinly disguised version of York, UK. The Resurrection Man has got the city on edge with a series of seemingly unconnected bodies found around the area. As Jo and his newly arrived DCI Emily Thwait investigate, they are drawn into a Satanic cult that seems to be thriving. Jo is also keeping an eye on the daughter of his former partner who has just moved to Eborly.

I especially enjoyed the descriptions of
Sherry Mackay
Aug 02, 2014 Sherry Mackay rated it liked it
Yes I did enjoy this murder thriller with Satanism and a ghost thrown in. I love a good crime novel and this was not bad. I do have to say the main character joe Plantagenet was a bit lack lustre. I didn't get much of a feel for his character and he didn't seem very interesting or particularly bright. The ending was quite rushed too as suddenly we are swept along into finding out who the murderer is, and who has been manipulating him into it and whammo it's all over. These are minor quibbles tho ...more
Helen
Apr 06, 2014 Helen rated it liked it
Galloped through this one, which is the first in a series featuring Joe Plantagenet and set in "Eborby" (nice name for York - ecclesiastical Latin with Scandinavian ending). If you know York at all, even a bit, it is very recognisable. Mixture of history & mystery, a serial killer on the loose with links to victims - or not?, a ghost story and a mystery in the past, and a detective who once started to train as a priest. I did work out who the killer was although not the motive behind the kil ...more
Andrea Bowhill
Oct 10, 2009 Andrea Bowhill rated it really liked it
There would always be wrongs and rights, thieves and murderers to apprehend it's the way of the world ever since Cain first lost his temper with his brother Abel. These thoughts plagued DI Joe Plantagenet as he was just another official trying to bring the wrongdoers to justice, a serial killer was on the loose in the historical Yorkshire city of Eborby. The town will always be imprinted with Roman, Viking, medieval and Civil War but death from unnatural causes seemed to be captivating the news ...more
Spuddie
Sep 17, 2010 Spuddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#1 Joe Plantagenet police procedural set in the fictional Eborby in Yorkshire, UK. Joe is a DI who has suffered a number of losses in his relatively young life--widowhood only a few months after marrying, his cop partner Kevin's death in a shooting that also injured Joe.

A serial killer seems to be on the loose, one who is particularly cruel--abducting his victim, restraining them, putting them in a coffin and letting them suffocate to death--and then displaying them in a rural churchyard locati
Janice
Jan 23, 2016 Janice rated it really liked it
Liked Ellis' Wesley Peterson series so much that I wanted to try this series of her's with a different character, DI Joe Plantagenet. Good catchy start. The author pretty much lets you guess who the crazed killer is very early on, but in the end there is an 'ot-oh' moment which is soon followed by a 'What!' Good read and will also look forward to book #2 in this series.
Gary Van Cott
3.5 Stars. I have read most of the author's Wesley Peterson series and decided to try this one. While she still includes events of the past she has a avoided the rigid formula of the Wesley Peterson books, for the better I think. I thought the characters were good but the solution to the crimes was too easy to guess.
Dorothy
Apr 11, 2016 Dorothy rated it liked it
I think I might have enjoyed this book more had I not listened to it on audio. The narrator was very slow paced and his regional accents were not authentic. I did think of giving up on it but was glad I didn't as the plot was interesting and more exciting towards the end. So...not the author's fault but if I read more in the series it will not be on audio.
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Apr 28, 2015 Caroline Ingvaldsen rated it really liked it
Satisfying blend of police procedural and ghost story with occult overtones featuring DI Joe Plantagenet, who left the seminary for the police force.
Ruth
May 31, 2013 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-modern
c2008: FWFTB: Eborby, asphyxiates, churchyards, malevolent, cunning. Ms Ellis is certainly not a succinct writer. The plotting ambles along and everything does come together at the end. But, sadly, no part of the solution was difficult to work out and I had worked out both the murderer and the reasons etc. well before the end. Somehow, I managed to get to the end. I did like the characters and that was probably the saving grace. If you are looking for a book that neatly combines some historical ...more
Miriam
Jun 15, 2016 Miriam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
I love Kate Ellis' Wesley Peterson mysteries so when I learned about another series, I had to check it out and I was not disappointed. While DI Joe Plantagenet is neither archaeologist nor historian, he is an excellent detective who pulls together the clues to the newest Yorkshire serial killer who kidnaps, and asphyxiates his victims and dumps them in local graveyards. When the clues intersect the life of Plantagenet's new boss DCI Emily Thwaite, things go awry.

Ellis draws readers into the plo
Maxine
Oct 28, 2014 Maxine rated it really liked it
Another captivating read from Kate Ellis. A good solid police procedural novel set in Yorkshire, with a group of likable characters saving the day - perfect!
Susan Barnes
Sep 18, 2015 Susan Barnes rated it really liked it
A good read and It has left me wanting to read the others in the series.
Jackie Mcwilliams
Apr 12, 2015 Jackie Mcwilliams rated it it was amazing
My first novel by Kate Ellis and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters are well put together and the plot was brilliant. I couldn't put it down. I also enjoyed working out which bits of York the characters were meant to be in. I will definitely be reading book 2.
Philippa
Jun 10, 2015 Philippa rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks-2015
Really enjoyed this.will definitely by reading the rest of the series.
Mel
Dec 19, 2010 Mel rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-as-an-adult
Joe Plantagenet must be one of the most incurious detectives in England. I lost count of the times he felt something wasn't right but then made an excuse to himself rather than pursue his thought. The story wasn't as well developed as her Wesley Peterson books. The saying "a mile wide and an inch deep" kept creeping into my mind. I was reading every word but it felt as though I was skimming.
Angela Shields
Mar 26, 2013 Angela Shields rated it really liked it
An excellent murder mystery with plenty of twists and turns. There are many clues dropped along the way and the picture gradually builds up. It is supposed to be set in Eborby, North Yorkshire but it is obviously York and if you have ever visited York, then it is quite recognisable. It is a perfect setting for the ghostly side of the story. The characters are rounded and believable.
Deb
Jul 10, 2011 Deb rated it liked it
first book in a new series by one of my favorite British authors. Present day mystery dealing with the past, a bit of black magic, a girl ghost thrown in a couple of times, good characters, mystery unravels about the various deaths that took place to a surprising conclusion. Looking forward to the second book in the series.
Meaghan
Nov 01, 2010 Meaghan rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It is set in York but they name is Eborby and it has all the elements of a good mystery. It involved a schitzophrenic murdering people because he thought they were cursed by the devil. It also involved some ghosts and a little satanic ritual. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.
Paula Montgomery
Aug 23, 2011 Paula Montgomery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story begins with a serial killer and no suspects, so all interviewed are suspects. There are many sub plots and little paths to get to the killer and the author manages to tie them all together. A good read.
David
Oct 04, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this and I know there is one more in the series but hope there will be others to come.
Tiffany
Jul 05, 2010 Tiffany rated it really liked it
It was a good book, although kind of predictable and repetitive.
Keds
Aug 30, 2013 Keds rated it it was amazing
Ellis' best novel! Amazing thriller and mystery.
Jackie
Aug 23, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it
Very good.
Kt
Kt marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Josephine
Josephine marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
  • The Cipher Garden (Lake District Mystery #2)
  • The Fabric of Sin (Merrily Watkins, #9)
  • The Red Dahlia (Anna Travis #2)
  • A Breach of Security
  • The Bee's Kiss (Joe Sandilands, #5)
  • A Woman of Consequence (A Dido Kent Mystery, #3)
  • Die with Me (Mark Tartaglia, #1)
  • The Innocent Spy (DI Ted Stratton, #1)
  • The Death of an Ardent Bibliophile (Peter McGarr, #11)
  • Empire of Bones
  • Fearful Symmetry
  • Finders Keepers (Exmoor Trilogy, #3)
  • Book of Secrets
  • Death In Disguise (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #3)
  • Where Death Delights (Dr Richard Pryor Mystery #1)
  • Murder In The Green (Libby Serjeant Murder Mysteries)
  • Spring Remains
  • Dark Flight (Rhona MacLeod #4)
Kate Ellis was born and brought up in Liverpool and she studied drama in Manchester. She worked in teaching, marketing and accountancy before first enjoying writing success as a winner of the North West Playwrights competition. Crime and mystery stories have always fascinated her, as have medieval history and archaeology which she likes to incorporate in her books. She is married with two grown up ...more
More about Kate Ellis...

Joe Plantagenet (5 books)
  • Playing With Bones (Joe Plantagenet, #2)
  • Kissing the Demons (Joe Plantagenet, #3)
  • Watching the Ghosts (Joe Plantagent, #4)
  • Walking by Night (A Joe Plantagenet Mystery #5)